• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dinofs: I took your advice.

aldriq: Such a shame! As I upgraded to HTTT and consequently to MMU (much more off-balance than MMP btw) I just got rid of old saves. :( Huh! Now we'll never find out if Danzig survived the rise of nationalism and the industrial era. Thank for an offer though.

(I double-checked. For writing purposes, I kept quite a lot of screenshots and the log, but deleted all the saves :(:mad:)

1805 – 1811​

‘Run for it! Oyo’s attacking!’ The thing is there’s no one to hear the call and run as I have no army stationed in Africa. In December my soldiers finally make it to Gold Coast and Oyo instantaneously realises its mistake: a white peace offer. ‘No!’ I mint a bit and in January 1806 I spend on naval academy, my fleet has generally been victorious but now without alliance with GB I have to minimise the potential losses.

navalacademy.gif

In February I easily defeat Oyoese/Oyoan/Oyoish(?) army. Huh! Finally an opponent I can bully at a whim. I won’t go into details here; the outcome of the war was pretty predictable. With maybe just one funny twist.

utrecht.gif

All is over in September, took some time, I admit, but I didn’t assault too much due to my manpower issues. The terms are not harsh: I decide to reward my loyal ally, vassalise Oyo and get symbolic compensation. Soon Oyo will become my ally.

peace-19.gif

I get ‘Pirate sunset’ event giving me an option to go to war with countries supporting Berber piracy. Meh, I’m not interested. Once again I fail at climbing up to a higher rank – opposition emerged. Bah! New term and new PM. Not bad. Also, my manpower is restored, Poland is at war with Sweden and Bremen. Is it the right moment?

vonHolten.gif

It might be – I get the core on Toruń; it’s always been rightly ours! It might not – Poland seems stable and strong, the war in the Baltic hasn’t affected it at all.

claim.gif

Yet the Parliament votes it’s high time Toruń was reunited with Danzig. Von Holten, however, has some doubts: Poland is allied with Spain, Denmark and Pommerania. He believes we’re not ready yet. Stability drops to 0.

war-hawks.gif

I resume colonisation but feel sort of bad about giving up the chance of freeing Toruń from Poland’s yoke. Will I get another chance?

Time passes; 1810 rolls in and I grow impatient. Let’s check the ledger.

ledger.gif

It seems I might have a chance to rule the waves, even without GB’s support (I have the biggest navy now), but on land Poland will simply steamroll me. I have to wait until it gets dragged into a serious war, like with Russia or rebels try to tear it apart again.

Meanwhile I've grown big enough to go down from capable to competent government. And get worse adequate defences modifier: -6% to TE among other things. Cyprus gets ‘minor qualms’; will it core by 1820? Stability gets to +1. And maybe after all it was fortunate my frustration didn’t take over me and my stubborn opportunism and calculation won; and I didn't dow Poland. OE dows me owing to the parliament-triggered event.

OEwar.gif

Only Demak refused to support my cause; not that it matters. Will this be tough? Well, I’ve beaten them before, but this time they really took me by surprise. There were even riots in the city. Put down but at the cost of precious manpower.

danzig-3.gif

Ok, I manage to control the Med fairly easily. I lose the battle over the Red Sea as I have too few ships there. The thing is, again too many of my vessels get sunk. I pay 1, yes 1d to have Tripoli off my back, they’re weak, but have numbers and would pose a threat to Oran.

naval-3.gif

By February my naval dominance is unquestionable and I can actually negotiate peace. Nothing to gain so peace is welcome. With this short and successful campaign Theodor von Holten wins the hearts of Danzingers and is elected for another term.

oepeace.gif

But there’s no time for celebrations.

poland-12.gif

My allies rally to my rescue, I can count on mighty forces of Hamburg, Utrecht, Lűbeck, and also exotic Siak, Mataram and Oyo. My guarantors Venice and Bohemian Emperor (not that he has any steam to fight left) are on my side too. Poland brings Spain, Pommerania and Denmark to the conflict. I can count on Poland’s and Denmark’s high war exhaustion, they’ve just humiliated Sweden. The ultimate prize – Toruń.

warscore-6.gif

Internationally:
Matupa pays Portugal 58d for peace.
Denmark dows Sweden.
Portugal dows Oman.
Brunswick dows Bremen.
Austria dows Venice.
Bohemia agrees to drop its claim to Plzen for peace with Bavaria.
Oriat Horde dows Russia.
Mongol Khanate dows Oriat Horde.
Brunswik pays Bremen 875d.
Austria defeats Bohemia and gets Friuli, Moravia and 225d.
Anhalt inherits Holstein.
Venice forces Tuscany to release Pisa.
italy.gif
Crimea dows Genoa.
Oriat Horde cedes 4 provs to Russia.
Ming gets one prov from Manchu.
Denmark humiliates Sweden. Is it due to me having changed the balance of power it the region?
denmark-5.gif

It's true. 1809 is no time to be a Barbary Pirate anymore.

Also, Oyo, what a way to lose Benin.

Looking forward to a touching reunion or a tragic denial of the same. Either way, it is going to be fun. :)
(Yes, I know you are sticking to an 'aerial view' report style, but imagination is boundless :p)

Well you got your war with Poland and you didn't even have to DoW :rolleyes:

Denmark humiliates Sweden. Is it due to me having changed the balance of power it the region?

Of course! Ever the puppet master... :D

I just got rid of old saves. :( Huh! Now we'll never find out if Danzig survived the rise of nationalism and the industrial era. Thank for an offer though.

(I double-checked. For writing purposes, I kept quite a lot of screenshots and the log, but deleted all the saves :(:mad:)

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking of using the save game, just of taking some stock of your colonial holdings from the screenshots and see which ones would survive to 1836 (for example, the coastal bits in the Gulf of Mexico would most definitely not.)

BTW, have you seen the new MMtG preview pics? :eek:

RGB: The Oyo affair proved lucky for me. Having an ally in Africa turned out to be pretty important.

Urza: It was fun. Honestly, I didn't expect to have so much thrill in the so-late game.

aldriq: Ok. Your concept sounds reasonable. But I think Danzig would have rather sold than lost its Gulf of Mexico holdings and Manhattan. Btw I have to catch up with your V2 Ethiopia aar. Not much time recently. And frankly I get lost in all those pop and such concepts of Victoria. ;):eek: I keep telling myself V2 hasn't steep learning curve and is not that complex, yet I just sort of can't make myself believe it. ;):D

The new MMtG previe pics? Of course I've seen them, read their site - made my day!

1811 – 1812​

Well this is the war I wanted but I might have been better prepared if it was me who declared it. My navies and armies are in all wrong places. In hasty preparations the city of Danzig becomes a stronghold, the surrounding area gets prepared for guerrilla warfare.

guerilla.gif

Fleets from distant shores are heading for the Baltic, where the Danzinger hegemony is being, hopefully temporarily, lost. Ouch! The initial land operations are aimed against Pommerania with the aim of neutralising it quickly and excluding out of the conflict.

firstbattles.gif

The battles of Coast of Holland and Gulf of Finland, and subsequent battles too, are won, more and more Danziger ships sail into the Baltic and before the autumn sets the situation is again under control. No great harm has been done; the loss of so many vessels hurts though, mainly because it’ll take time to build new ones. The important thing is the suicidal defence of the Baltic islands worked.

Riga-2.gif

Fate looks favourably on Danzig as Russia eagerly joins the conflict against Poland, opening up a new front. I start believing I can pull it off.

Russia-3.gif

In November the Emperor decided he’s had enough and surrenders. Maybe Poland isn’t that weak after all. And yes that’s Utrecht besieging Głogowskie.

bohemia.gif

The control of the Baltic comes with a price tag attached. But with Denmark and Poland blockaded I can go on the offensive and besiege cut-off Sjaelland. The oddest thing so far is that no Polish troops showed up in the vicinity of Danzig.

baltic-1.gif

In January 1812 Hamburg backs off, month later so does Lűbeck; I don’t blame them. Pommerania offers white peace, I was considering it, but no, not yet. In March finally a Polish army loomed outside Danzig.

poland-13.gif

But with the fall of Vorpommern I conclude the Pommeranian affair and can turn east again, trying to protect my lands, and eyeing the to-die-for goal: Toruń.

pommerania-1.gif

ledger-1.gif

If Russia binds enough Polish troops in the east… Danish and Spanish forces are over all less numerous than mine and like mine scattered, so I hope they won’t pose any threat. Shortly, Denmark is out of the picture shortly anyway.

denmark-6.gif

When I finally clash with Polish army, I’m positively surprised to see how superior mine is.

poland2-1.gif

The same happens in Hinterpommern. And just when I finally set to besieging Toruń and chasing away Polish invaders from Danzig, the inevitable happens: Malacca comes knocking. Do I have to say my entire (almost), much depleted navy, is in the Baltic? Do I have to mention Malacca is allied with Mali and Delhi? I have to say AI in this mod is disturbingly cunning at times.

malacca-2.gif

Internationally:
The Pope dows Tuscany.
Yemen loses Sokorta, Quelimane and Bagamoyo and 100d to Portugal.
Oriat Horde : Korea – white peace.
Lorraine dows Provence.

Uh oh.
Let's see whether you can pull yourself out of that one. :)

I've been pleasantly (or rather, unpleasantly) surprised by the HTTT 4.1b/MMU 1.26 AI. It has this funny way of knowing where to stick the shiv in your back while you're busy fighting some other guy.

Also, what happened to army tradition? Your generals look like they graduated out of the bottom half of their academy classes. Is it just a factor of having huge worldwide armies and not being able to put enough of them in combat to raise tradition?

How long can you afford to ignore Malacca while you deal with Poland?

Ok. Your concept sounds reasonable. But I think Danzig would have rather sold than lost its Gulf of Mexico holdings and Manhattan.

Definitely, like Spain did with Florida. Caribbean islands, on the other hand, would survive in the empire... OK, we'll reconvene after you've finished the AAR.

Btw I have to catch up with your V2 Ethiopia aar. Not much time recently. And frankly I get lost in all those pop and such concepts of Victoria. ;):eek: I keep telling myself V2 hasn't steep learning curve and is not that complex, yet I just sort of can't make myself believe it. ;):D

But if you think about it, many of the standard V2 features are things MM have retro-fitted into EU3 for added realism (religious minorities, factions, multi-level buildings...). Once you get used to this extra granularity in the game, you find it natural.

Portugal is a couple of centuries late to the Swahili coast :D

Kolonel: This is going to be the last but one update; but everething will become clear here. So read on!

Chris Taylor: Agree on your assessment on HttH/MMU, though there are a few annoying things about this combination that worked far better in MMP (such as OE never going after the Mameluks, AI fixated on conversion: Muslim Balkans, Catholic Lith and Venice-held Greek islands, suicidally aggressive Popes). I love the new HttT cb system, but frankly there are things about HttT which are either irritating due to being too-much-micromanaging (roads, post offices and stuff), or not-to-my-liking (national focus), or sort of unfinished (SoI). Also, MMU made cultural tradition a stump of what it was in vanilla (I understant why, so I'm not complaining, but still having pretty extensive feature you hardly ever use...)

Enough of off-topic. As for my military tradition, it's low because I didn't wage so many wars, those I did where mostly short (my manpower issues) and largely fought on sea. I have zero land NIs too.

aldriq: Ok let me know if you're interested, this is the pre-ultimate post. As for V2 it's tempting but I'm still enjoying the novelty of HttT/MMU and I have so little time to play... Also with the talk on CK2 my interest in CK has been re-kindled.

RGB: Portugal is present in East Africa. Now that you've mentioned them, it's sort of odd we never clashed head on (they were an ally of my enemy once) while logically we should be rivals.

1812 – 1817​

Ok, I think; that’s not that bad. Now that I have secured the control of the Baltic, I only need a few ships here and the rest of my seriously battered fleet can make for the Spice Islands (of course I have only a few ships there presently). To make sure my vessels won’t get intercepted I peace out with Spain.

spain.gif

Poland’s army is no match to ours, pbly they lag in tech. This cannot be said about Malacca.

battles.gif

Mali must be way more backwater than Poland (I was indeed surprised at this victory), but against their numbers (or rather lack of mine) I have little chance to control Africa. Oyo is of some help, but that’s too little. My undefended colonies fall prey to Mali forces. There will be some switching hands, many victories despite being outnumbered but all this costs manpower and Africa is not where my main focus lies. so after a few frustrating pursuits, never managing to wipe their forces off, exploring a few uncharted regions and basicallya lot of futile, down-the-drain effort I peace out, losin a colony or two in the process.

africa-1.gif

Clearly, I need troops elsewhere. Poland must be weak and the scavengers sense it. In January 1813 Silesia dows Poland. Such a nice distraction! Poland gets dog piled, how historically. By that time I seem to be slowly getting an upper hand in the Indonesian Seas, but I can do nothing to help my allies there; poor Siak. Incidentally, at that time Zanzibar cores! Is that thanks to BoR?

january.gif

Alarmingly, my manpower falls down to 8.3k. But at the same time Poland seems to be folding. I need to persevere just a bit more.

advantage.gif

Ostpreussen falls in June, soon followed by Kalisz, and in September Danzinger men march into Toruń! By the way, the brave Utrechtians are besieging 5-level fort in Poznań! This is it, I don’t want anything more from Poland, just what is rightly ours. So I say we can be buddies again and sign peace treaty. A few months later Lithuania dows Poland. I think one might say Danzig dominates the Baltic now, with its possessions in strategic points (islands, Sund, the mouths of the Vistula and Oder rivers), control over rich, former-Hansa cities of Danzig and Toruń, vassalised Pommerania and allies like Lűbeck, Hamburg and Utrecht. My goal of preserving the spirit of Hansa has been achieved.

poland-14.gif

However it seems I underestimated Malacca. Did historical Netherlands have similar problems with throwing their power around in so far-flung places?

malacca-3.gif

Humiliated, I was almost ready to seek peace to get my economy rolling again, but than a string of lucky breaks: GB (with its ships!) offering alliance and a sortie in Kutei (and the nagging question what else is there for me in this game?) convinced me not to.

kutei-1.gif

I finally sink their fleet too. But at what cost! My Kutei regiment wipes off Brunei army, but there’s no chance to take their level-5 fort (pity, they have a CoT and I have a weak spot for CoTs). I have to besiege it anyway to prevent them from recruiting.

fleet.gif

In July I have to pay handsomely to get Delhi off my back. Goa would have been un-defendable anyway. I'm actually pleased with this outcome. Delhi is a land power so save Goa they posed no threat, even though the ventured to try to capture my Andamans.

delhi.gif

The autumn of 1814 brings about a breakthrough in the Malacca war. But my manpower is now dangerously low.

breakthrough.gif

With such successes Theodor von Holten is chosen for the next term. Malacca tries with the white peace offer but it is decisively rejected. Some, however, thought the offer should have been accepted.

election-12.gif

hm.gif

I expected to lose this one, but not that decisively. See, this was my weaken-their-morale force, the other army is on the march. The trick worked to an extend, ping-ponging was like fighting well-armed guerilla.

Sadly, Oran falls to rebels. I have no spare troops to besiege the fortress, so its garrison will replenish.

The war continuous but not as viciously as before. Meanwhile Goa cores! I’m surprised Sofala, Zanzibar and Goa cored before Cyprus, but I’m happy; the CoTs cored, my badboy will be declining much faster now. As you see my stab went up to +2 and the game ranks me as number 6!

goa-5.gif

There are some upheavals in the period with many factions doubting the purpose of continuing this war, but gradually the Danziger troops took control of Java.

upheavals.gif

java.gif

Now we can start considering peace terms.

Internationally:
Bohemia loses (Provence-held) Barrios to Lorraine. (My pet hate feature, alliance leader gets away with it paying off the enemy with its ally's provs.)
Venice annexes Modena.
Lithuania dows and soon white peaces Poland.
The Pope forces Portugal to release Brazil! (it was like strange screenshot thing)
Pope.gif
Manchu loses five provs to Korea.
Bohemian HRE : the Pope – white peace.
Poland : France – white peace.
Bohemia : Timurids (?!) – white peace.
Savoy dows Urbino.
Poland : USA (?!) – white peace.
Russia : Denmark – white peace.
Kongo loses Ngono and some money to Portugal.

There is one more update yet? Very impressive (and unique) game. A fitting end to take Torun and revoke the core on Danzig. I can only hope my AAR will last to 1821!

aldriq:
You got what you wanted from Poland!
Feels great living in the Constitutional Republic of Danzig :cool: (Changing the name of the street)
I like that 'Pope revokes Tordesillas' screenshot :rofl:
Funny, isn't it? It could go to strange screenshots thread.

Urza: Thanks. That's why I like playing minors, the game is interesting until the very end.

CJL78: A few final pics and some comments. As a devoted MM fan I owe the team some praise and a bit of constructive criticism, and the would-be MM players some info. :)
I feel proud I completed my second aar. (No luck with Savoy, narrative is too challenging pbly). It was great fun. I promise to follow yours until the very 1821.

1817 – 1821​

I’m tired of this war, my manpower is low and I have to do sth about Oran, I don’t really need or want any provs from Malacca. Instead I decide to weaken them by renouncing their claims and letting go of Java entirely. As you see I wanted two friendly states around: Majapahit and Bali. Somehow the game engine gave the island of Bali to Majapahit, which means I pbly could have force-released one more tiny state. Well, I didn’t reload. It would for sure take one more war to push Malacca off Sumatra, but there’ll be no time for that. This peace resolution secures Batavia itself and the trade through its CoT well enough.

malacca-4.gif

Of course I might have finished this aar here. Nothing really interesting happened, a revolt here and there so I might provide you with some statistics a world map pics and say goodbye, but… First, there were interesting developments internationally. Also, I’d like to share with you my thoughts on the game/mod as such (general praise and some issues).

In January 1819 I reach government 67 and I get to choose my last NI. I take Internal Security, for revolt risk bonus. The last NI is inconsequential really, so don’t count it in in your strategies. Still, it leads to delighted bureaucrats later. In February Theodor von Holten wins another election and retains his post. In August I get another ‘Parliament criticises foreign policy’, this severs my alliance with Great Britain but being rich and them having no other potential allies around I throw some money at the problem and they ask me back.

In 1820 I enact Sunday schools for -1 revolt risk. This almost solves my revolt risk problem. I managed to recapture Oran too (and deal with other revolts here and there). But strangely my manpower is very slow to replenish. Luckily, no conflicts on the horizon (as the game’s coming to an end).

revoltrisk.gif

No more provinces core till the end of the game, Cyprus was close though (final stage of the process). The money flow is a bit stunted as I have 9(!) colonies running at the moment. Many of them won’t have been completed by the end of the game.

colonies-2.gif

I took ‘statistics pic’ in January1820. For once check the Asia Power! 5 Asian countries + EO & Russia in the Chart! Also, observe the almost universally 0% inflation. Finally, I think Russia and OE get some crazy bonuses to prestige, it always seems to be at 100%.

statistics.gif

In February I get Good Government, thanx to Internal Security, I guess. I get some ‘Subversive Ideas’ event. Odd effects ‘tolerate them’: -1 stab and -2 prestige; ‘jail the thinkers’: +1 tradition and minor penalties to tech. Common, that late in the game, when stab is so precious, you’ll jail them no matter how open-minded you society is. And thus the adventure reaches its end. Happy Danzingers wave goodbye.

Internationally:
Crimea : Genoa – white peace.
Silesia gets 10d from Poland; phew!
Russia : Poland – white peace (?!) How weird is that?
russia-4.gif
Milan pays Savoy over 200d.
The age of Revolution…? The one in Sweden petered out, I’ve seen nothing, I say, nothing happen there.
revolutions.gif
Brandenburg becomes HRE Emperor.
Venice : Switzerland – white peace.
And than this happened:
germany-1.gif
!!!
And yes, Germany left the HRE and what’s more got cores on all over the place; my Hinterpommern included.
germany2.gif
Sadly, this republic was short-lived. Out of the blue, I could see the white Austria colour down there again, so I checked the log (quoting):

25 March, 1820 Event: Laws of the Empire in German Republic.
25 March, 1820 Event: Directives to our Envoys in Brandenburg.
26 March, 1820 Event: The hand-picked successor in Election! for German Republic.
26 March, 1820 Consul Ernst Meyer was elected to office in German Republic.
26 March, 1820 German Republic will now guarantee Alsace's independence.
26 March, 1820 Decision: Establish Sunday Schools in German Republic.
26 March, 1820 Event: Greeting the Foreign Emissaries in German Republic.
26 March, 1820 Event: Charm & Gregariousness in German Republic.
30 March, 1820 Sweden allows the merchants of German Republic access to their Centres of Trade again!
1 April, 1820 German Republic broke their Alliance with Hungary.
1 April, 1820 German Republic broke their Alliance with Brandenburg.
3 April, 1820 Event: The Country's Roots in German Republic.
4 April, 1820 Decision: Unite Habsburg Lands in German Republic.
10 April, 1820 Austria will now guarantee Hungary's independence.

I think It was 4 April decision that finished the budding republic off. How sad and how illogical! As it simply means the republic decided to commit suicide.

Still on revolutions: this one couldn’t succeed either:
hamurg.gif

As for the world map I decided to put one with the German Republic around so I took a screenshot of March 1820. Danzing's holdings in nice orange.

Europe
europe1.gif

Americas
americas1.gif

Africa
africa1.gif

Asia
asia1.gif

Australia and South-East Asia
Australia1.gif

Thank you for following this aar and if you still can bear with me a bit longer I’d like to share with you a few observations / impressions of mine.

danzig-4.gif

Gameplay​
The game has been enjoyable throughout. From surviving as a opm->tpm, through the gamey invasion on Ireland (my excuse: being too small, the free conquistador/explorer event wouldn’t've pbly fired for me), through early colonisation, vying for supremacy over the Baltic, until the by no means peaceful 18th century.

As for 27 Nov 1457 as my choice of the date to start the game, I think it worked the balance perfectly. Denmark posed threat to northern Germany and Hansa, its rivalry with Sweden started not too soon. As for Austria it still went aggressively into the Balkans, it had not much luck with inheritances though. Nevertheless, even as not the HRE Emperor, it managed to be a power within the HRE. Poland would have folded if AI had been more consistent.

Hansa​
I think I managed to preserve the Hansa spirit. First playing the Helius’s Hansa sub-system (of intricate, believable entanglements between small trading factions, unlike the bland HttT one). Than, having left the League, taking trade-focused Danzig to the New World AND managing to control the key spots on the Baltic and a few important posts on the Med and on the way to the Spice Islands.

'A threat to Hansa' was a mechanism which needed polishing. Poland was trapped in a vicious circle of dowing and then releasing Riga. But as the Hamsa model I liked so much is gone in MMU, we may let the matter drop.

Whether my MMP Danzig with its mercantile history, diversity, NIs and sliders would stand a chance to survive the era of nationalism, I don’t know. Unlike in my Navarre aar, I didn’t create a federal state, with regions preserving their traditions. Danzig, the metropolis city, would've become a true melting pot. I believe in my alternative history a Danzinger wouldn’t really mean a German, certainly not a Pole, a Danish, or Greek. It would mean a Danzinger.

Trade​
One might say trade is overpowered. To some extent it is, but only as long as you remain small. Simply, there’s not that much to splash on, I for example could afford a uni on Ősel. Also, trade supremacy requires dedication/specialisation. As soon as I started colonising (different focus) money became tight. I had to budget. Establishing colonies, building and maintaining trade/war fleet, and finally developing new provs is costly. There was however a point in the game, where tariffs made me obscenely rich. (Again not broken imo, I had to invest in 1000d staple poerts.)

On the other hand, AI keeps building manus all over the place; Europe, Asia - just everywhere. I ope MMU works better in this regard.

Islands​
Now, this is sort of unrealistic. AI is poor at attacking and defending them. I admit, having become a naval power, I exploited it. For, say, Ősel becoming uninvadeable territory, was NOT that plausible.

Colonisation​
I admit again, I did use a gamey tactics and even though I didn’t take any of Ubik’s routes, racing for ME&C was fun and I find this far better than in vanilla. There are a few mechanisms which open up colonisation, which in turn will require some focus and dedication from the player. Wiz’s addition to settling provs and clashes with natives, even ghost colonies (this must be Ubik’s creation) added a lot of content to the process. Now, another nice surprise: the end-game pic shows USA, Brazil among other break-away states; a player would pbly have avoided the secession.

A few gripes I have regarding colonisation:
1) Bug – a province where colonisation failed, on being resettled does not restart the coring process
2) Land of Opportunity – I fear this idea has very limited use (especially with its demanding pre-requisites). It seems suited for big colonisers, but won’t they need other NIs much more, like those helping battle adm efficiency?
3) India – two things here, first: save Goa no European interest in the Sub-Continent, second: the massive Delhi poses the question if the balance of powers is set right in the region (this however might have been a fluke)

HRE​
Somehow the wars of religion petered out in my game. The second, long war was not triggered. I do think the odds for them to break out should be higher. I felt like I missed out on sth potentially great. I’m yet to witness the severity of the religious strife in any of my games.

Lien is a mechanism I like in general. Still in another game of mine I had Bohemia PU -> inherit Bavaria. In the process Bohemia cored only the capital, the other three provs became lien(s), later reverted to demesne – I find this odd. (If anything it should've been the other way round.) IMO Bohemia should've either cored all Bavarian provs straight away, or (I understand the culture issue here) in situations like this legal PU -> inheritance the lien should lead to faster coring.

Finally, I felt sad about the abrupt, apparently suicidal demise of the short-lived Republic of Germany.

Nomads / Knights​
Of course these didn't affect me directly. Still provinces defecting due to nomads shouldn't happen imo. Also, sth should be done about the Knights' happy hoppig (as it may lead to odd situations).

Peace resolutions​
I still don’t understand the way the alliance leader is selected. The AL choice may lead to strange outcomes.

I don’t like seeing AI powers going to lengthy wars (e.g. Hungary agains Russia, Portugal against Sweden or Russia against Poland), conquering swaths of land and than …agreeing on a white peace.

Another thing is AI’s tendency to start a new war days after it concluded the old one. It seems to me in this regard MMU works better.

I love long-wait mechanism! Still, I believe it should take France a bit longer to get English continental holdings (and in fact it does, or so it seems, in MMU).

AI peacing out of wars and paying with its ally's provinces is annoying as hell. Basically, the peace negotiations still need some work done (and it seems to me HttT doesn't solve the issues here).

Late game​
Is interesting! Back than, when I played vanilla I could persevere for 100 years at most.

The constitutional government and the Parliament spice things up, sometimes radically. (Opm Constitutional Islamic Republic of Algiers dowing the mighty OE!?) It was a bit bland in my game though, as I had liberals win all the time. Maybe it’s because of my NIs and sliders?

What needs tweaking imo are late-game vanilla events and…

Forts. Level 4, maybe 5, should be maximum. All too often AI finds level 5 forts (especialy those with extra advanced buildings/decisions) unbeatable anyway, and we have poor opms besieged by rebels for years on end (casus of Hamburg).

Once again thank you for reading.
Now, onto MMU.

180px-POL_Gdask_COAsvg1.gif

Great AAR and great read! Thank you for the entertainment you gave me. Already looking forward to your new AAR.

Congratulations on finishing your second AAR! It's been a very enjoyable read to follow these crazy Danzingers all over the globe!

Are you ready for you next MMU AAR then? :D

I'll drop you a PM once I've finished my Ethiopian AAR to see how to best approach the continuation of this in Vicky :)