• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Enewald: Merely misunderstood. ;)

aldriq: It didn’t hurt too much. It was mostly a European thing and by that time I had a bunch of guys up north. But it had managed to delay the war longer than I liked. As for Spain. They’re in my little area. Its kind of like when I used to play Civilization. If I had an area or island I carved out and claimed it mine, I made sure it was mine until it really was mine. Its just my way. :cool:

Hm... let’s see, where did we leave off? Now I’m starting to sound like a psychiatrist. Not that I know what one sounds like. But the guy I was sitting across from in the waiting room today, it made me wonder what he was there for. So skinny.

axcimr.jpg

Poor Stickman. Maybe him and Semicolon can get together some night and drink it up.

Back to the war with Spain. The war in my colonies continued which was tough because the Spanish had landed a large force in my area. Luckily I was able to outmaneuver the armies. Gas attacks helped, too, which resulted in victories like this when I was able to achieve them.

6p0u4i.jpg

The Canary Islands fell soon after and meanwhile, Sweden took more of Denmark.

qp2td1.jpg

About a month later Portugal declared war on Transvaal which I decided to help. A few days after that, the OE took advantage by declaring war on Egypt. The AI here is much better than EU3 or the other Paradox games. I used to be able to go to war without worrying about a single thing but now I have to judge for myself between what’s a good idea and what isn’t.

A series of occupations consumed the rest of the year. Spain was not going to win. She couldn’t be allowed to. At the start of the year the war was looking well.

6 March 1908 France declared war against the CFKAP over the Rhineland. The next day I decided to secure a white peace with Transvaal. Two days after that, the Netherlands accepted peace.

ictlpl.jpg

And with the Netherlands out of the war and no side wars going on, Spain also relented.

2nvyno9.jpg

Now comes the usual pain in the neck part of getting everyone home and back up where they belong.

rvhpxu.jpg

30 November I removed Mexico from the US sphere while the Netherlands went to war with Egypt. I was going to help but I didn’t want to take the prestige hit.

From 09 - 10 France signed a white peace, Austria and the CFKAP went to war, I began influencing Sweden and the Netherlands for some reason took this.

abl0l0.jpg

1911 was almost just as quiet. I permitted Low Pensions and reached the South Pole.

4v4j9f.jpg

And that ends our time for today. Be sure to pay the secretary on your way out.

b5qfsn.jpg

What can I say? I like my Salarians. But since this is “AARland” the mods will probably have me change it to SalAARian. :rolleyes:

And on your way out, be sure to avoid the busy signal.

de4qko.jpg

Enewald: There ya go.

aldriq: I’m quite happy with my little wars.

Over the weekend I finally downloaded the Morrowind game. Yeah, it took me a while because I’m not exactly a LAARP or Swords and Fantasy kind of guy because I happen to like girls. And it made me wonder why there are people who still prefer that game over Oblivion. It makes no sense to me. Its like comparing Victoria I to Victoria II. And before I get angry letters from the Paradox Larping community - no doubt it must be extensive, have you glanced at the Paradox Members photos in the OT? - I just want to say that if I had girls like these lording over my dead body, I’d happily don some leather and lie on my back.

2nkt992.jpg

Its like a hangman jury all over again. Not that the line means anything. ;) It took me a few AARs but I finally got an Aerosmith reference in there.

So before I get myself into too much trouble with the incomplete other half who makes a past time out of nagging and writing phone messages on my Paradox AAR notes, I ought to kick start this AAR again. Gah, I ain’t ever getting married. Its called an institution because for those who belong, that’s where they ought to go.

So... apparently Yeltsin came to power in Russia and Estonia broke free. Gotta love the radicalization of too-little too-late Russian politics that has plagued the country for a long, long time.

k027w4.jpg

As a little time went on I decided to declare war on Khiva, hoping to bring Russia into the war since they were so overrun with rebels. But Russia decided against aiding her ally. So on 6 November I decided to declare war on Russia, to free Poland. Here you can catch a good look, on 6 November, of the rebellion sweeping across Russia.

i1l5sh.jpg

27 December I destroyed the Khivian army which isn’t much to write home about, which is why I’m telling you.

At the start of the year I had 25k in Siberia, 25k in the Baltic (with 25k more on the way) and 30k about ready to strike through Khiva. About 12k were expected to land in Arkhangelsk later in the month. I’d show a pic but you can’t really see anything anyway. How about something cool, like this, instead?

21dpnwh.jpg

Peace followed in Khiva about a week into the New Year, permitting a nice land bridge up through Central Russia.

2w3uadz.jpg

12 February 1913 I landed in the Russian capital without problems. Until my first battle with the Russians in early March. Gas is a blast.

11bq9ur.jpg

Meanwhile occupations took place in Pskov and Petro...something. And Portugal went to war against Transvaal again, which I aided. Transvaal is actually a pretty tough nut considering every single province is forted up to its maximum level allowed by their tech - level 5 forts.

During my war with Russia I was also being careful where I was setting sieges. I wouldn’t touch a single Nationalist or Reactionary revolt, instead opting to remove the Anarcho-Liberal’s gains. This is primarily because the Anarchos had so much and I was going to have to lay into Russia to get what I wanted. My secondary reason was because I still wanted a powerful rebellion force in Russia that would threaten it for the rest of the game.

By 4 July you can see the war going fairly well. The Russians just aren’t a match for the Grand Belgian army.

iemnfo.jpg

More occupations followed and on 23 August, I took their capital. 6 September, they gave in to my demands.

If Russia isn’t going to give me a chance to do something against the Country Formerly Known as Prussia, then I want an ally that will. Even a small diversion may be enough... we’ll see.

x1hmiq.jpg

Yeah, in the words of Groucho Marx, “If you think this country’s screwed up now, wait till I get through with it.” The man dies three days after Presley and he doesn’t receive an ounce of media coverage.

20truol.jpg

I support further opportunistic interventions to help Poland expand :D

I like some of Aerosmith's stuff... I didn't know they were from Boston until last week - in one of those taxis with a screen running a loop 'did you know these musicians are from Boston'. New Kids on the Block as well... I bet they didn't hang out in the same venues :rolleyes:

Enewald: Finland may be doomed and you may turn out to be born a little Russian. Although if Russia’s still holding control of the country, you could just as well be born in Siberia as Finland. ;) Don’t worry too much though, I hear Siberia isn’t as cold as they say.

aldriq: Dude, the Bad Boys from Boston! I used to be a huge Aerosmith fan. And then they released Nine Lives and I Don’t Want to Miss A Thing which were okay releases but then they followed it up with Just Push Play and a greatest hits with the horrible add-on of Girls of Summer. They avenged themselves with Honkin On Bobo but that was a blues album only comparable with Rock In A Hard Place which didn’t receive enough credit for what a great album it was because Joe Perry was working on a lone project. And it may be sacrilegious but I liked Aerosmith’s bluesy sound without Joe Perry. Here’s another interesting Aerosmith fact: They actually broke up over spilled milk.

The same thing goes for Poison without C.C. DeVille. The guitarists are great at what they do and bring power to the songs but I like the bluesy/rock sound best. Cinderella did this perfectly in their last studio album in 1994, Still Climbing. The Lead-Guitarist-Leaving-The-Band Theory didn't work out too well for Guns N Roses though.

Anyway, did you know Boston was also from Boston? Just checking. ;) :p

Back to the game, I chose Poland because they had the most potential to grow. Its nice to see Poland sprouting from the ashes of history now and then.

Update coming tomorrow. I’m spending way too much time on the forums today.

Wow - Aerosmith are from Boston! Crazy it's a dull as ditchwater minor rural town in one of our more inbred counties. Best stuff for me was from the late seventies.

Poison - Lovin it

Cinderella - Sadly underrated

Honkin' on Bobo totally passed me by, I guess the media ignored it over here for being on the bluesy side. It's definitely worth a listen.

Anyway, did you know Boston was also from Boston? Just checking. ;) :p

I suspected that much :rolleyes: Although apparently I didn't know where Boston ends... I ended in the wrong side of Massachusetts Ave looking for the wrong address, until a local kindly pointed out to me that Cambridge is not Boston, a bit like Newcastle and Gateshead in England :eek:o

I am absolutely shocked by the lack of knowledge about the greatest Rock N Roll band to have ever lived. I was very tempted to throw in many more obscure references throughout this AAR but am glad I kept it light throughout.

I’m not sure how much publicity Bobo received in the US. At the time I was living in Korea for a while and totally missed out on all Pop Culture. The only way I knew about Bobo was because of late night Internet curiosity when the next Aerosmith album was coming out. I’m glad I found it though because it restored my faith in the band after the previous ten years of occasional hit mixed with complete miss.

So you’re finally getting an update from me today because my Internet is no longer imitating a sloth since I cut off Steam. I guess its because all the price reductions going on this week; again I’m really starting to be turned off of online companies like Steam. And people wonder why there are those of us who prefer the boxed games. Aside from having access to the occasional deal on the game you’re waiting for or download only games, I continue to fail to see the attractiveness of Steam-like gaming companies. Guess I’m something of a Dinosaur.

Or maybe people need to stop buying Farming Simulator 2011. Ya hillbillies.

dcr8n4.jpg

Toward the middle of November 1914 I sphere’d Mexico thinking that the USA would leave me alone if I went after Madagascar. Yup, the US is Africa-happy

2q35ilw.jpg

and has put Madagascar in her SoI. Why am I interested? Its easy land.

On the other hand, the war with Transvaal was still going well. They could’ve used some waka waka.

255m0le.jpg

March 1915 Russia continued its throes of devastation and rather than force a new government, Ukraine broke away. Russia’s becoming quite colorful.

34t79cm.jpg

Early July a nice event came along and I decided to not let a good disaster go to waste. I declared war on the Netherlands for Ambon. I don’t even remember where this place was anymore but as long as I can call myself king and start up my own harem, all is well. Belgium* v. Spain, the Netherlands and Two Sicilies.

x5cjsp.jpg

Later in the month the OE went to war against Russia and about thirty days later Transvaal accepted peace, giving up its state to Portugal.

332rl87.jpg

On the Dutch front, while invading Netherlands’ Brunei, I let the Dutch cross this strait. I could cut them off later and lay siege to their state in southeast Asia, racking up some nice warscore. And late December I wiped the Dutch from Europe... again.

fbl4iv.jpg

By 11 January 1916 all the Netherlands troops had crossed the strait. Good luck getting back across! Their navy can’t match mine. Around the same time I was falling in love with a General making a landing in South America.

2jdrh1d.jpg

28 May a few Dutch troops slipped through my blockade while I was off searching and destroying small Dutch ships. And this too will pass...

2cmnbmb.jpg

And I think I’ll stop here for now. After last night I’m a little worn. So how do you solve a night of fun? No, it isn’t with those chaser pills. Be a man! And do you know what men do? They drink away their hangovers. See you in a few hours.

I thought you would have reduced the Netherlands to the size of Luxembourg by now...

I am absolutely shocked by the lack of knowledge about the greatest Rock N Roll band to have ever lived. I was very tempted to throw in many more obscure references throughout this AAR but am glad I kept it light throughout.

Just as well, your audience here is far too young... ;)

I suppose the big question now is just how much of the Netherlands is there left to dismember?

Greatest Rock n Roll band? Well it ain't Aerosmith LOL

Enewald: Everyone has money this late in the game. So many deaths aren’t tragic, they’re a statistic. ;)

aldriq: Bah, no excuse. In this day and age you guys have the Internet and youtube. Nothing should escape your sphere... even if you are from the Old World. :cool:

PrawnStar: Ugh, a Justin Bieber fan. :p

As for the Netherlands, there ain’t much. Its just the BB that’s keeping me from taking them. Inopportune guarantees and things like that have also negated opportunities. In EU3 or Victoria I, they’d have been annexed by now.

I don’t want to alarm you guys but... the Communists have invaded America! I turned on my tv tonight and they’ve got us surrounded. They’ve even taken cities I live near.

2cn791s.jpg

There’s only one thing that can save us...

v5ycr7.jpg

What? No Van Buren? How about...?

6nrss0.jpg

I think he might be able to take out some commies.

307uptf.jpg

“What? Its red all over my map. I’ve seen it on the news all over the place. Words like ‘Change’, ‘massive takeover’ and ‘occupations’ are being floated around all over the wire. It’s the communists!”

“The spots colored red are the Republicans, not Communist invasions. The United States recently had an election. There isn’t a Communist takeover of the United States.”

“What do you know? You’re drunk all the time.”

“I’m a member of the Communist Party. I said so in one of your last AARs. And I don’t drink on election day. That day’s too important for me to **** up my straight ticket ballot.”

“Okay, so... um... why is Van Buren always the go-to guy whenever you need a random former US President from the 1800s?”

“Its late. I’m going to bed.”

Well, that’s rude... anyway I'm sure he'll wait for me. Since I’m here I might as well begin my AAR and from what my markings say, apparently we left off somewhere 12 days before France declared its intention to annex Egypt. 12 June, apparently. Not good for my final decades plans for Africa (waka waka.)

30cnbl4.jpg

The elections began that year and with less land to occupy, those began drying up as well. However, I was able to remove all Dutch troops from Europe but I didn’t do it in a mean way. I did it in a nice way, like when Hitler got together with the teletubbies and kindly asked Europe to stand aside.

35me0sx.jpg

So I’m getting something in my ear - tell your girlfriend to stop it - that I’m going to need to get a real game picture in here at some point. I would’ve included one sooner but there wasn’t a whole lot happening until I took this pic to retake Southeast Asia.

msirmg.jpg

As the elections came to pass in the new year of 1917, the nationalists maintained control with help of the conservatives, holding together nearly 40%. On the same day, to celebrate continuing Nationalist Power - I’m really liking the SC governments in Vik II - the Netherlands agreed to peace, giving up a ton of land. Its funny since I had no intentions at all on Asia when I first began, especially after the Morocco fiasco.

350tel5.jpg

Thirty days later, Sweden lost big against the Danish/CFKAP alliance. It isn’t looking good for Sweden although I’m sure she can make it another 20 years if she’s nice to people.

seytf8.jpg

Around 14 February 1917 I was beginning to become curious about my factories. Hm, guess I should pay more attention. We’re going to have to increase some factories which as you can see, I’ve just begun doing.

29yhzzs.jpg

Now I’m off to get my Ana Free fix. She did sing To Be With You so I kinda owe it to her.

aldriq: Well, Johore does border the UK. The problem at this point, I have so many places I can expand yet only have so much BB I can burn. It all depends on opportunities, CB, etc.

Enewald: Welcome to the Paradox forums... oh, wait, you meant in the game? :rofl:

To all: I am moving this week so I may have trouble updating within the next seven days or so. This may mean I’ll have to push release of the final DB chapters by a few days but I’m going to try and release them on time. Also note, they won’t all be released on one day. I’ll release one chapter every day or every other day. I don’t know why I always make these announcements on my most unpopular AARs but its totally awesome that I do.

After posting my Bukkhara AAR I ran through my Inkwell and was curious as to why I closed the Ireland AAR. It was most popular AAR at the time and likely remains the second-most popular Brandenburg III AAR which isn’t saying much but only “Monarchy” and “Ireland” have been popular at the times they were released. Anyway, I remembered why I closed it but I didn’t remember that someone from Paradox had left a comment. That big gold circle really stands out at you. So I thought that was weird... that I hadn’t noticed it till almost a year and a half later. :p

But if there’s one thing I learned: If someone comments in the forum in which your AAR exists, they’re probably reading it. If you use someone’s mod, they’re probably reading it. If someone’s been around for a long time and they’re still active on the forums, yeah, they’re still reading, too. I'm an exception. I'm in this for myself. :cool:

And for those of you wondering after weeks of having it, this title is an Aerosmith reference, so there. Check out The Farm on their Nine Lives album... the title is paraphrased. I think it fits well. :D

So, back to the game... feeling I had to appease the Communists on this forum, I’ll publish this little revolution.

2u8f280.jpg

But Fascism soon reared its head toward the end of August. I began thinking that it might be cool to have the Fascists in power, but time was limited. I began taking to the idea like Steven Tyler on Alice Cooper’s “Trash” album. And by the way, how did “Get It For Free” not make it on the Feelgood album?

4gm1cy.jpg

10 November I began wondering why no one was interested in South America... and also why it wasn’t filled in at the game’s start. At least that little problem was fixed in 1.2

5f3w91.jpg

9 October the last of the Communists were put down. When not at war, rebellions are much easier to put down. Amazing, that.

2gtvqcj.jpg

16 December France placed Catalonia in its SoI. It took France and Spain decades of influence spending between another to finally inherit the SoI while I didn’t invest a fraction beyond the first year.

1918 France annexed Egypt.

21jrqxx.jpg

Word from King Tut says he is no longer funky (funky tut.)

15rfhx1.jpg

And that takes us right up to 1920 which means this update is incredibly short. At least the ten year updates don’t take too much time and it’ll be nice and easy to get back into... like a hot tub.

2rnzl84.jpg

Aww...
Weren't the French the ones about preaching liberty?

Liberty to the civilised people. Civilised people know what a snail fork is.