• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pineirin

Second Lieutenant
60 Badges
Sep 2, 2018
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Hi guys.
First the praise: I love ck2 but I didn't play it a lot because I had HUGE trouble choosing a character and an objective, so, I love the idea of Monarch Journey as it provides mi with both things. Gaining rewards is also a great feature, even do they look really "meh".
But I want also to give some personal criticism to how the challenges work (due to how much I like the idea).
Time Bending: This challenge was pretty fine it was interesting to play as an small kingdom surronded by big ones but, a lot of almost neccesary quality of life features were needed. The information doesn't show what provinces of the required you have, this was a problem to many players that weren't able to see that they didn't "control" the province in wich there was a holy order's bastion. In the future, if there is a challenge of controling certain provinces, knowking what provinces you have would make easier to track the reamining ones. Also a feature to "see" the needed provinces in the map would be really usefull, as renaming of provinces can lead to search for the province that you need.
Gloves come off!: Just a bit random and stuffed for me, but at least the tracking was clear.
Pre-Emptive Self-Defense: Very interesting way to explore mechanics of the game, such as assasination, or, in mi case, dueling. Still, the random posibility of the family being wipped out by random and uncontralable events makes me feel like i'm fishing: I want to kill fish, but not a lot, as I could risk of killing so many that they could not reproduce,
making me impossible to fish in the future; a bit odd way to think in the middle ages.
In case if you wonder if I explored enough the challenge to get a solid grasp of it:
upload_2019-10-27_12-26-20.png

Yeah I would love it if the counties you don't control would be highlighted in red and the ones you do would be in green. I had an easy time with the Brittany playthrough, but the Wales one is really annoying, i managed to get the one for marrying off children to English rulers, then I died, and even though I fully control all of the required counties for the first challenge I'm not getting any points, and same with the 2nd challenge regarding dukes of the same dynasty. 2nd challenge I understand, because I'm not Welsh culture so it doesn't count as it says on the challenge, I'm Russian due to being a legitimised bastard (I went on a seduction spree to make sure I have enough children to marry off to 4 English rulers and have enough to spare for alliances" so I assume if I flip over to Welsh culture I'll get that one. But the first challenge doesn't state that my character needs to be of Welsh culture, only that I need to be of the same dynasty, yet I'm not getting the reward. I really like the monarchs journey for the same reasons you stated, it gives you a clear idea of what to do, rather than pure sandbox of ck2 which is a nice challenge especially on ironman, but it's a bit buggy and could use a bit of polish. Either way I'll have all of the rewards unlocked by the time ck3 is out I'm sure, even with the limited time I have to play ck2 these days.

Thats the point of challenges, they are Challenging. Took me like 10 times ironman to master brittany one, and it was fun. Second one is easy, first attempt no problem. To finish second one, pay attention to fact that you have to own kindom of Wales and have 9 bloodline duke vassals. About provinces: you have to control all holdings in all these provinces, check if any castle or temple might have slipped away.

Is there an end date for the monarch's journey?
Quite busy recently don't have time to do the challenge at the moment.
Has been confirmed that there will be a cutoff date, though not in 2019.

However old challenges remain in place, so you can definitely leave it for a while if you're busy and binge when you can.