• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I want to do business Are there any rules I should know like Don't do business in the Khanate cause the city shifts too much etc? Like should I invest a lot in one town, a little everywhere, only start investing when I own a town? any tips like that?

You can only have 1 business per town, and the start up fee is the same each time, after which there's no significant additions to it. So the best (and only) way to do it is to spam a lot of businesses in as many towns as you can. And also to try and build only the best production types (velvet). The only patterns i've found have nothing to do with location, i'm afraid. Although it should be noted that you will temporarily lose the profits from a town's business if you are at war with the faction that owns the town.

If the owner of the city which your business is in is at war with you (or your liege) then you don't get the income from it. So it's better to pick your starting businesses in realms you're not going to be hostile in a while. Sarranids/Rhodoks for the Nords/Vageirs, Khergits for the Nords, etc.

If the owner of the city which your business is in is at war with you (or your liege) then you don't get the income from it. So it's better to pick your starting businesses in realms you're not going to be hostile in a while. Sarranids/Rhodoks for the Nords/Vageirs, Khergits for the Nords, etc.

very useful info.

So If I conquered lands for myself under the King of Whateverstan and built manufactories in them and then revolted, a long as I kept the cities safe I'd be golden right?

very useful info.

So If I conquered lands for myself under the King of Whateverstan and built manufactories in them and then revolted, a long as I kept the cities safe I'd be golden right?
Yes; as long as you or a friendly power owns the city.

Yes; as long as you or a friendly power owns the city.

ah. thank you. is there any moment where one should absolutely revolt? or is conquering the whole map before revolting feasible?

If you go to war with a faction that has cities that you have businesses in, take them immediately and ask for the town. You get an even bigger bonus for tariffs.

ah. thank you. is there any moment where one should absolutely revolt? or is conquering the whole map before revolting feasible?
When it's time to revolt depends, I'd say. But it could be wise to gain a decent power base before striking out on your own. And speaking of which, make sure to speak to fellow lords after battles and sieges. They will mention the battles and give you a slight relation increase. And taking on realms while they are smaller could be a smart move too. But I guess that by the time your faction has conquered all the map (which will take some time) you should have the means to get several lords to your side pretty quickly.

You should revolt any time when a lord refuses your claim on a holding you captured. Don't let any other lord get the spoils of your blood.

Just swear fealty to the next king and you'll be at peace with your ex-liege provided that the new one is.

So um, someone should have mentioned that you should pretty much never join Swadia to start with. I've restarted the game several times, and within 150 days Swadia is reduced to nothing. They just declare war on everyone and die. Apparently this is a well known issue, there are what seem to be thousands of posts on the official forums talking about how quickly they get steamrolled. Most people seem to think it's a problem with the map in warband, all the Swadian territories are far apart compared to the other factions, their ruler is at one end of their spread out territories (so doesn't support the north as it falls), and they have a suicidal AI that just declares on everyone.

Last edited:
weird considering the Let's Play I'm watching has a very strong Swadian Empire

So um, someone should have mentioned that you should pretty much never join Swadia to start with. I've restarted the game several times, and within 150 days Swadia is reduced to nothing. They just declare war on everyone and die. Apparently this is a well known issue, there are what seem to be thousands of posts on the official forums talking about how quickly they get steamrolled. Most people seem to think it's a problem with the map in warband, all the Swadian territories are far apart compared to the other factions, their ruler is at one end of their spread out territories (so doesn't support the north as it falls), and they have a suicidal AI that just declares on everyone.
I've played the game quite a bit, both as a Swadian vassal and as a vassal of others or independent, and I've never seen any genuine steamrolls done to Swadia. They can lose a couple of cities and a castle or two if fighting a multi-front war with different factions, but they don't seem to die because of it. Also, if you're a Swadian vassal with the basics covered you can usually protect the Kingdom quite a bit, unless you're very low level or have high difficulty settings. And even if you're not a vassal of theirs you can always sell your sword for a while and make sure they last.

Okay. Loved the original so what can possibly go wrong for 5 bucks. :)
At that price it's certainly worth getting. No doubt about it.

You can only have 1 business per town, and the start up fee is the same each time, after which there's no significant additions to it. So the best (and only) way to do it is to spam a lot of businesses in as many towns as you can. And also to try and build only the best production types (velvet). The only patterns i've found have nothing to do with location, i'm afraid. Although it should be noted that you will temporarily lose the profits from a town's business if you are at war with the faction that owns the town.

Raw material and finished goods prices make a difference.

There is one or two cities where Velvet is unprofitable, namely the one(s) where velvet is cheap. And IIRC Reyvadin is most profitable as it has cheap raw materials.

weird considering the Let's Play I'm watching has a very strong Swadian Empire
They are in the middle of all the other kingdoms and often get attacked from all sides.