Motivation problems with EU4 at mid game / end game.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually never play Pdx games to the 'end'. However it's not really a problem the way I see it, games are supposed to be fun, so do what you find fun!

I think trying a later start date might be interesting, and maybe in the end help in finding motivation to play all the way through, since you find out what you're missing in the game by not playing the whole way.

Then, as has been suggested, play from a non-European start, I did it in EU3 and the westernization was tedious, but it was a very different game. It's interesting to be an Asian powerhouse and then having the Europeans come around and you just have to roll over for a while until you can fight back.

(I haven't tried any of these in EU4 yet, so I can't vouch for how interesting it might be but that would be very subjective anyway.)

This problem is the same for civ5 and every total war game. Early game is fantastic but it begins to drag in the middle and become just plain boring later on. I always play with AI-bonus and lucky nations turned on, but STILL im unstoppable after like 100-150 years. Sadly the game gets rly boring as all challenge vanishes. I guess multiplayer is the only way to go but it takes a long time and sometimes u will miss a session. Lanparties with EU4 would be great. A single playthrough from friday night to sunday night, with rest of course. Or to start at 1700-1750 and just play 1 session, kinda like march of the eagles but with eu4.

Reactions:
If you want world conquest play Total War.

Youre also playing nations that are at their peak around this time period. If you want an enjoyable game right to the end, you need to start smaller.

Also colonizing/taking over India/Asia is generally pretty fun late game. Or trying to invade Russia if they become a powerhouse.

I don´t necessarily have to do a world conquest. I just want something to do after the first 100 years.

I love to master the game mechanics in complex games. In EU3 tech through trade was one of my favorites. I finished most of my games, to see how far I could push it.

But I have a hard time setting up goals for myself in EU4. Money is of no importance and can only be invested to make more money. Eventually MP will be the bottleneck and there the fun stops for me, since I can´t really influence it.

I think expensive buildings to reduce coring time and more expensive, higher level advisors (+5) would make the mid- and end game more interesting.

I think the challenge is in finding a country that will hold your interest. As has been suggested by others, I think you need to play something in the East. As I said before, I suffer from many of the same interest problems, but Minamoto -> Japan held my interest from 1399 to the late 1700s in EU3. Japan should be even more challenging now, though I would wait until they fix the Catholic revolt problems.

Korea seems like another interesting country as you don't have a wall of water to protect you from your enemies.

Funny. I have 80h playtime now - as england- and i think i just stopped playing for good as I realized I cannot win this game. (Meaning: avoiding the neverending status quo stale mate and eventual total collaps). Trade income is never above 18.- cos everyone else seems to always have 40+ ships on every trade node to seize any and all trade nodes. and I can never afford fending of the endless endless revolts that pop up in every single colony or home province. Wrestling with leblob portugal over the carribean has only given france time to take half of north america. And when they finally declared war on me , they came with 70+ ship stacks and invaded absolutely everything.
i realize I have obviously not figured out how to use trade and improving provinces with buildings seems pointless, cos after every peasant siege its all gone anyway.
I suppose I'll crawl in shame towards rome 2 total war in a couple of days..

Btw: is it a bug that conquistador armies can roam the deserts eternally without ever taking any attrition?

Funny. I have 80h playtime now - as england- and i think i just stopped playing for good as I realized I cannot win this game. (Meaning: avoiding the neverending status quo stale mate and eventual total collaps). Trade income is never above 18.- cos everyone else seems to always have 40+ ships on every trade node to seize any and all trade nodes. and I can never afford fending of the endless endless revolts that pop up in every single colony or home province. Wrestling with leblob portugal over the carribean has only given france time to take half of north america. And when they finally declared war on me , they came with 70+ ship stacks and invaded absolutely everything.
i realize I have obviously not figured out how to use trade and improving provinces with buildings seems pointless, cos after every peasant siege its all gone anyway.
I suppose I'll crawl in shame towards rome 2 total war in a couple of days..

Btw: is it a bug that conquistador armies can roam the deserts eternally without ever taking any attrition?

Why is it that when I read other peoples' posts about not being able to win, that I feel like my copy included a retarded AI? I mean seriously, the AI in my England game is no where near being this devious. Pretty sure it's on normal difficulty. Does turning up to hard really make this much of a difference? If so, I better bring my A-Game.

I agree with op.

The bad thing imo is that the game rewards you if you not do stuff. Thats a silly mechanic. If a game is made to be difficult it should be hard to do stuff, but still rewarding if you accomplish it.
The Anti-Blob mechanics dont make expansion harder, it just makes it not rewarding (Except Coalitions, which i like in general but the details have to be reworked).
Expansion is not really harder due to OE. You just have to sit around doing nothing afterwards while waiting for the provinces to core even if you have ressources (money and manpower) left for another war.

Building, Coring, Culture Changing, Stab increase. All that stuff costs you monarch points which limits you overall progress in the game. But why? This is an artificial limitation in my opinion and its not fun.
Yes a lot of people like the fact that they are limited a lot and for that reason they defend this stuff in the forums. I like the effect in the end too, but the problem is you cant get better in managing the limit and extend it with every playthrough. Its always the same (You can play better, get a better adivsor a few years earlier but thats all). The only things you can do is something like dont build buildings at all and again here is the points that the game rewards you for not doing stuff. But where is the fun in not doing?

Money and manpower should be the main ressources, not monarch points. Make money and manpower harder to get to limit the player because this are things a player can work on and get better with experience. You can fight wars with less manpower losses and you can get better in making money on different ways and this way its rewarding to build buildings and its rewarding to conquer.
Yes you will get to the point at which you start snowballing and many players will still quit the game at that point but they quit at the moment too, just for a worse reason. And the players that really want to archive a WC can do it.

Or give the player more ways to influence the monarch point gain, this could be another way.

I dont want a EU III Number 2 where you can easy roll over the world. I want it harder but not the way EU IV handle it.
You could make agressive wars way harder due to attrition for example, especially if your armies are in lands with other religion(groups) or culture(groups). Just one out of a lot of examples that make expansion harder and still keep it rewarding onces its done.

I do like the monarch points for idea´s and tech. You really have to make a decession every time and both ways are rewarding, maybe some balance issues but this is a minor problem and can be handled in a patch.

Another thing to the overall forum athmosphere. EU IV is a new game with a lot of new mechanics and if someone doesnt like one of those mechanics he should be able to say this in the forum without getting posts like "Go play TW if you dont like it."
The forum is a discussion platform and with new stuff their is obv a lot of potential for discussions but its always the same group of people that likes the game how it is now and that trys to keep everyone else quiet by flaming them. Thats just the reaction of a 16 year old child but i guess most of those people are 16 so its understandable in some way.

Wel Paradox-games has the end-game demotivation, but in the end when I reach the screen it's satifsiying. (However EU IV needs some more gameplay, and lesser realism.)

Why is it that when I read other peoples' posts about not being able to win, that I feel like my copy included a retarded AI? I mean seriously, the AI in my England game is no where near being this devious. Pretty sure it's on normal difficulty. Does turning up to hard really make this much of a difference? If so, I better bring my A-Game.

I think different people have a lot of different ideas about what "winning" means in the context of EU4 since it isn't clearly defined. There was that guy this morning who was totally freaking out because he was losing the game due to not being #1 in score. Whereas, I know that there are many countries in this game who will NEVER be #1 in score. It's just not possible. But winning to me is making it to the end of the game and accomplishing all my goals. Preferably crushing all my strongest rivals along the way. Score is irrelevant. For other people, winning is making a huge blob, getting bored, and starting a new game. That's fine too. It's a game its for having fun. If you're having fun then you're winning.

Such an old thread... but it seems the problem still persists - after a certain point, there is no longer challenge. Even with a crappy monarch it is like "meh, what can go wrong?" Maybe I'll convert my almighty Commonwealth to protestant faith, just for the fun of it.

Reactions:
normally around 1550 its allready over for me, but its better with not western countrys. since the tech progress is slower. so with japan i reach normally 1650 or so

Something that is very disappointing for me and leads to me not wanting to continue a game is the Rival and Power Projection mechanic.

I often identify with my rivals as my enemies and have the motivation to act against them. But very soon I can't choose any more Rivals when even the top 5 nations after me are too small.
At least for my motivation it would be sufficient if there is a cap somewhere or you can always rival the top 10 nations in the world.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.