Motivation problems with EU4 at mid game / end game.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been one of my concerns with the game and why I'm still waiting to get it (aside from UI/font concerns that mods can solve for me).. Artificial limitations to expansion are only fun to the extent they are based on historical premises and make logical sense rather than there to artificially limit players to historical outcomes. I simply don't have fun in these games if I'm forced to stay at peace for a long time (or fight wars in where I can't expand and the only option is to peace out ASAP for less).

I don't at all doubt Paradox will re-balance things to make it more enjoyable for conquerors, once they've realized they've gone a bit too far on the other side of the optimal point.

Last edited:
If you want world conquest play Total War.

Youre also playing nations that are at their peak around this time period. If you want an enjoyable game right to the end, you need to start smaller.

Also colonizing/taking over India/Asia is generally pretty fun late game. Or trying to invade Russia if they become a powerhouse.

Don't know if you responded to me, but since your post was under it, you might have. If you did, you failed to comprehend the issue pretty hard. The issue is the removal of dynamics from the game by making it so slow to expand that expansion in practice isn't possible anymore (ignoring vassal feeding). It should be pretty damn difficult, sure, but beyond a certain point it detracts value from the game rather than adding it, because if it isn't a realistic option then you've just removed a game dynamic and more static gameplay ensues. As I don't own the game yet this is purely what I've gathered from the forums, but it seems to be the case.

As for starting small, it does help, until you've reached the point where you are France version 2.

Still, I guess maybe some mods can fix this for me (if the values are editable).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.