• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The TO war went well.
Any luck getting Alsace into your league? :D

Duke of Wellington: Isn't handing over half your stuff a guarantee?

JDMS: Nope.

Keinwyn: It hovers between 1000-1100.

May 18: Peasants rise up in Lubeck to be crushed. Or not.

ah I see you must have used Scottish soldiers! Excellent update.

Chapter 9: The Fall of Venice

April 14, 1425: Novgorod forces the Teutonic Order to release Gotland. We immediately sign them up for the Hanseatic Trade Good of the Month club (you get 10 trade goods for 1 ducat the first month...)

May 10: Venice declares war on Athens, drawing most of her neighbors in a war.
h8venicedowathens.png

January 12. 1426: Aqualeia forces Venice to release Crete and Achaea. This leaves her with only Treviso, Apulia, and Venice, for the moment.

August 11: Alsace joins the Hanseatic League. They break it a few days later. I guess no one gets them.

December 21: Election time!
h8fabian.png

With the war turning against Venice, we secure military access from Bohemia and Austria, and send the army down.

April 19, 1427: We declare war on Venice, using the Trade Dispute CB. Burgundy and Naxos join in for Venice - our OPM allies and vassal Genoa come join us.
h8dowvenice.png

May 25: The Venetians are kicked out of Treviso.
h8boftreviso.png

July 18: Austria declares war on Venice. Poland joins in against Venice.

August 20: Austria leaves the Venetian trade league. While sending our Navy to tie up the Venetians so we can cross the straits, our navy runs into them early. Ooops.
azur.png

September 8: Treviso falls to siege.

Septmber 19: Venice cedes Apulia to Naples.

January 5: 1428: Cologne leaves our trade league, but still trades with us. Not much we can do at the moment.

January 11: Venice crosses the straits to kick us out of Treviso, and runs into the Austrian army.
h8boftreviso2.png

March 16: A combined Naxos-Venetian force is wiped out in Nice, while they were attacking Savoy.

April 21: We max the Free Subjects slider, and get Better Administration (-2 inflation). Our inflation is back to 0.

October 2: 2 more of our cogs are sunk as we run into the Burgundian fleet.

November 15: Venice accepts peace with Austria, re-releasing Athens. They're down to Venice and Treviso (occupied) now.

April 1, 1429: TO collapses.

August 12: Austria establishes Hapsburg dominance.

August 1, 1430: Cleves leaves the Hanseatic League.

December 21: Election!
h8julius.png

April 11, 1431: Golden Horde DoW's Genoa over Kaffa, bringing us in.

August 1: Without a navy, the Hanseatic army manages to finally cross the straits, crushing the Venetians in a last stand inside the city.
h8bofvenice.png

This exposes a little known fact about crossing straits - if you keep trying bullheadedly, the AI may eventually not send out its navy to block you. It took over 2 years, but Venice is worth it.

October 26: Scared of the idea of us taking Venice, Burgundy embargos us.

December 10: After some assaults, Venice falls and is vassalized.
h8vassalizevenice.png

January 12, 1432: Venice allies with us. Burgundy signs a white peace, ending the short embargo.

February 8: France declares war on England.

October 7: Mamluks peace out of our war with the Golden Horde, leaving the Horde alone.

October 18: The Horde accepts white peace, despite having taken Kaffa and us having only 2 cogs left to try to retake it.

July 5, 1433: TO annexes Pskov.

July 14: Interesting...
h8tocapital.png

August 1: Austria gives us Wine trade rights.

November: Alsace signs a 2 day trade league compact with Venice. Are they shooting for a record?

December 8: Teutonic Order declares war on Novgorod. Our two biggest enemies go beat each other up...how wonderful!

January 18, 1434: Priests preaching heresy event. We take the slider move to Narrowminded - we'll need lots of missionaries.

July 1: Ooops. Happy, Prawnstar?
h8loan.png

July 10: The Ottomans move their capital to Constantinople.

December 21: Another election. Nothing special here. One fun fact: my leaders are all part of dynasties, and thus I get Same Dynasty bonuses sometimes.
h8ernst.png

We accept Byzantine refugees (+2 cultural tradition/yr, -5% tech cost for 30 years).
h8byzrefugees.png

January 21, 1435: Nobles demand recompensation. We lose 1 stability to tell them to pike off.

March 3: Genoa becomes the second Hanseatic Center of Trade. Corsica is spun off as a vassal, as they are not German, and not required for anything useful.
h8annexgenoa.png

Last edited:
What about Adam Smith? :(

Take away the 3 big triggered modifiers (+55% trade income), and it would be pretty balanced, making Free Trade slightly better due to the colonial goods.

Great update. :)

In my current game, I'm playing as Bohemia, and I get into a war with Venice every 6 or 7 years. Their one ship navy keeps me from taking Venice. I salute you for having far more patience than I. :D

Very nice - one merchant republic annexed and another one vassalized! :cool:

I see you tried to lure the Venetians out with a vulnerable navy to slip troops in - that's how I usually deal with Venezia. However, if they have a superior navy, you of course have to be careful not to be too close if you aren't concentrating on that operation yet. And I even prefer running away to a southern Italian port with military access instead of fighting them at all if I can get them far enough.

July 14: Interesting...

Indeed!

July 1: Ooops. Happy, Prawnstar?

:rofl:

So, is the TO - Novgorod war still going on? If so, can you somehow leverage that into a certain suddenly available province finding itself in your hands? :D

JDMS: Venice is often the most annoying nation in Europe due to that strait.

Malurous: Yeah, I just couldn't get my navy *to* Venice alive.

I wasn't able to get in on the TO-Novgorod war, unfortunately. I don't have a CB at the moment anyway.

Chapter 10: The liberation of Western Denmark

June 1, 1435: Austria joins our trade league.
h9austriatl.png

July: The trade map of South-Central Europe. Notice that Siena now has a CoT after Venice pissed Milan off. I don't have a CB yet to grab and destroy it.
h9ceuropetrade.png

August 5: Savoy joins the Hanseatic League.

August 20: Milan is forced to cede Gorz (from Aqualeia), Brescia, and Schwyz to Austria, and release Urbino. Austria now has a port.

November 3: Modena joins the league, just as a comet is sighted.

January 5, 1436: Corsica joins the league.

March 18: Unsurprisingly, Milan breaks her Cloth trade rights treaty with us, in favor of their own CoT in Siena.

April 1: Novgorod collapses.

April 3: OPM Switzerland joins our league.

May 21: France is excommunicated by England. No one seems eager to do much...

June 4: Modena joins the league.

February 8, 1438: Slider move to full Plutocracy - we get a noble uprising that is quickly crushed.

April 11: Austria declares war on Mantua, bringing in nearly everyone in the region. This is one of those wars that occasionally completely reshape the map.

December 20: Election time...a former chalk salesman is chosen. In better news, WE is finally back to 0!
h9gottschalk.png

January 1, 1439: Switzerland is annexed by Austria.

Wow...look at mega-Algiers!
h9algiers.png

May 23, 1439: Castille has England excommunicated. Round and round we go!

July 2: We repay our loan.

July 21: Milan declares war on the Papal State.

October 6: Denmark declares war on Bremen, bringing us in. We take control of the war against Denmark and Norway. Both nations immediately leave the league and grant Fish trade rights to Venice and Novgorod. Bastards.

March 1, 1440: Norway loses an army in Hamburg.
h9bofhamburg.png

April 6: Smugglers running rampant. We can't afford the huge cash hit, so we take the TE/Tax hit. Both choices suck.

May 16: Diplomatic insult - we mend fences with our many neighbors.

June 8: The Danish Navy is sunk in the Oresund, by our newly rebuilt carrack navy.
h9boforesund.png

July 14: Savoy cedes Nice to Austria. Austria is now our neighbor. In ironic news, 4000 rebels rise up in Genoa, who start fighting 1000 Norwegans, with 1000 Mameluks standing by watching.
h9genoeserebels.png

September 29: A combined Norse-Danish navy throws us out of the Oresund, allowing Danes to cross the straits now. Too late.
h9boforesund2.png

December 17: Austria sends 7.58/month war subsidies.

May 20, 1441: Excommunicated France declares war on Excommunicated England, using the Reconquest CB. Milan force-vassalizes Savoy.

March 1, 1442: Austria sends 7.49/month war subsidies while we wait for the final sieges.

March 10: Norway signs a white peace, and rejoins the trade league.

April 16: Denmark is forced to cede Jylland, Slesvig and Fyn, giving us half the provinces needed for the Sound Toll, and forced to rejoin the Hanseatic league. They also release Gotland and Holstein.
h9denmarkpeace.png

April 18: Gotland and Holstein sign up for the trade league, but Venice sneaks in and gets Trade Rights in Holstein. Bastards!

April 23: France nabs Calais, Armor, and Finistiere from England.

May 3: Austria leaves the Hanseatic League. As far as I can tell, this is caused by having too many provinces that are right next to Venice.

December 16: Election!
h9fabian.png

July 1, 1444: The effort to Germanize Genoa begins. The decision has just some minor downsides...
h9settlementpolicygenoa.png

Last edited:
December 21: Another election. Nothing special here. One fun fact: my leaders are all part of dynasties, and thus I get Same Dynasty bonuses sometimes.
h8ernst.png

They have a family name, and they are relatives with a dynasty, or what?

I actually dont like the new republic system. As it is the people who is in control, I can't believe that they're all part of dynasties. I liked it better when they just had a last name.

December 20: Election time...a former chalk salesman is chosen. In better news, WE is finally back to 0!
h9gottschalk.png

He's a heretic. Its gods chalk!

They have a family name, and they are relatives with a dynasty, or what?

I actually dont like the new republic system. As it is the people who is in control, I can't believe that they're all part of dynasties. I liked it better when they just had a last name.

It makes sense for Noble Republic. I posted it in bugreports.

Good progress although I did expect you to take Holstein - guess I've missed something in your objectives.

I'm happy to see the loan situation returning to normal. I was concerned with just how long the aliens were going to keep you. Hope you avoided that probe ;)

I've never used the Settlement Policy decision -- do the penalties disappear after it switches culture or are you stuck with it until the end of the game?

I've never used the Settlement Policy decision -- do the penalties disappear after it switches culture or are you stuck with it until the end of the game?

Yes. The penalties disappear as soon as the event fires to switch culture (MTTH = 50 years, no modifiers).