• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Tutorial Island looks beautiful. My only concern is optimisation. Won't such a detailed map lag as hell on non-highest-end machines?

Yeah, will there be a noticable speed-down?

Special 1: Colourmap

jzxPPS1.jpg

Nice work on your map so far, however I think your 'colourmap' is actually a heightmap.

If I may suggest (and judging from your map, I assume you have the tools and experience to change map projection), you may want to consider using one of the images from NASA's Blue Marble collection such as the June image(pg2), or this "true-color image"(pg3), of Earth. For a more 'cartoonish' style, one of the maps from Natural Earth III would work as well. I think that these would fit better as a colourmap than the heightmap you currently have.

I'm looking forward to seeing your completed map!

The thing looks oh so promising. Subscribing in order not to miss any piece of update. Thure sure knows how to do gfx, yes he does.

Thank you!

The Tutorial Island looks beautiful. My only concern is optimisation. Won't such a detailed map lag as hell on non-highest-end machines?

Sadly I think this will be an issue. And I can't do much against it. I will release some versions of me mod like Western Europe only, Europe only, without India, with India etc.

Nice work on your map so far, however I think your 'colourmap' is actually a heightmap.

If I may suggest (and judging from your map, I assume you have the tools and experience to change map projection), you may want to consider using one of the images from NASA's Blue Marble collection such as the June image(pg2), or this "true-color image"(pg3), of Earth. For a more 'cartoonish' style, one of the maps from Natural Earth III would work as well. I think that these would fit better as a colourmap than the heightmap you currently have.

I'm looking forward to seeing your completed map!

Okay, yes. It's not really an colour map. But it works well as one at the moment. Maybe I will later add one of your maps :) I will see. But no... Sadly I don't have a tool to change projections... At least no good tool (I have one but this don't work with large maps sadly). If you or anyone else here know a better tool I would you! :D

Oh, something more. It's all fine and dandy, I get that you're concentrating on a 769 AD start. But what about the other bookmarks? 867? 1066? 1189? 1337?

Oh, something more. It's all fine and dandy, I get that you're concentrating on a 769 AD start. But what about the other bookmarks? 867? 1066? 1189? 1337?

Will all be there. :D It's just that the 769 start date will be earlier ready because I work on the characters chronologically. So the screens for 769 are earlier ready :D As I said in the start post I try to make all dates between 768/9 and 1517 playable (why 1517? Because I like to have the Borgias in the game :D )

769 to 1517 is a huge scope, are you sure you need no help?

The play-ability of any date between 867 and 1066 is what prompts my excitement in your mod the most. Still think it odd that the entire 10th century - the heyday of the Viking era, has been neglected in CKII; the bookmarks only being in the early stage and very end. Also, as others have mentioned, the map is already looking quite lovely. Must admit I'm more anxious for Map+ than a certain upcoming Frankish dlc...

Agh. I hate to be that guy but Innis Eoghan (the little peninsula sticking out from your Aileach province) has always historically been part of Donegal (Tir Choniall). Though there is (or rather was) a fortress called Aileach located on the Donegal side of the river Foyle, which separates Donegal from Derry.

If you tweak the border a little then you could keep Aileach in your province whilst letting the O'Donnels hold onto their jut of rock.

769 to 1517 is a huge scope, are you sure you need no help?

I will ask for help if I reach certain areas :) For Ireland for exemple I asked Riadach some things :D

Agh. I hate to be that guy but Innis Eoghan (the little peninsula sticking out from your Aileach province) has always historically been part of Donegal (Tir Choniall). Though there is (or rather was) a fortress called Aileach located on the Donegal side of the river Foyle, which separates Donegal from Derry.

If you tweak the border a little then you could keep Aileach in your province whilst letting the O'Donnels hold onto their jut of rock.

I based my work on this map of Riadach. And after this map Innis Eoghan was part of Tir Eoghain.

High King is titular elective im assuming?

I think with tribal titles it could work as de jure elective. I need to test it how it would work well. But with the tribal mechanics it can work very well because it makes the Irish vasalls more independent. BUt I need to test tribal mechanics :D

Apologies if you already said this somewhere and I missed it, buy may I ask how you're creating that flat map effect? I'm guessing it's not simply by blanking out topology and world_normal_height like themendios' mod does - it doesn't look quite the same.

This might sound odd but wasn't the coastline of England, particularly around the Anglian/Northumbrian border, fairly different during the eighth and ninth centuries? I've seen the odd map or two that depicts that area as either marshland or sea. Just a thought.

EDIT; here we go.

East_Anglian_kingdom.svg

Nearly 8 centuries of work....good luck. :eek:o

This might sound odd but wasn't the coastline of England, particularly around the Anglian/Northumbrian border, fairly different during the eighth and ninth centuries? I've seen the odd map or two that depicts that area as either marshland or sea. Just a thought.

EDIT; here we go.

East_Anglian_kingdom.svg

That "coastline" was actually the portion of land that would remain dry while the Fens were flooded. It was all above or close to sea level. The hills within the Fens were called "Islands" because they would remain dry. Only a small portion of the coast would be different due to alluvial processes, much too small to notice in the game. The Fens themselves were just waterlogged marshlands. Should be swamp/marsh/whatever territory instead of water.

Rest of Britain will follow in some days! And I'm happy to have new super maps for the near east. The 'Tübinger Atlas des Vorderen Orients' is really great on maps!

Apologies if you already said this somewhere and I missed it, buy may I ask how you're creating that flat map effect? I'm guessing it's not simply by blanking out topology and world_normal_height like themendios' mod does - it doesn't look quite the same.

It's blanking out topology and make world_normal_height with just two colours :)