Mercenaries should be able to gain influence through repeated use of them

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ahmadmltft

Sergeant
Feb 14, 2024
Title says it,there were a great amount of medieval/early modern states that fell to their own mercenaries(usually gradually,the final stage would be the official ruler becoming a figurehead).

• 8Like
Reactions:
Generally speaking, mercenaries are themselves very interesting, especially their evolution from free companies acting like democratic bandit bands terrorising Italy to more disciplined armies lead by condotiers, more and more tightly connected with specific state and gaining political power there.

I'm curious whether PC will try to recreate some of that dynamics

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wonder if they will work like how banks have been teased with you having relations with them as non-state actors. Possibly tying themselves to a state if they have high relations or if failed to pay and have low relation, mutinying like the Catalan Company. Could even act as form of early professional army like the Black Army.

• 1Love
Reactions:
How about Sforza, and that would not even be that early in the game's timespan?

If mercenaries could get some elbow grease in general, I would be happy. They are so bad in Imperator that I use a mod to disable them because they borderline ruin the game.