• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cheers Ederon, for that, I'll credit the recovery of Somalia/Eritrea to you instead of Italian Army as proper proganda would :rofl:

Looks like I have nothing better to do on friday night...

Chapter Five
Mare Nostrum

Part IV

9th of November
Gibraltar gained temporary supply route when Spain surrendered, saving the day.

image-F1CE_4BE46EAD.jpg

13th of November
Sadly that lifeline was cut fast, and as you see, british troops in mountains don't move easily. And they gained themselves nice little landing zone in south spain after initial confusion of spanish surrender.

image-67E8_4BE46EAD.jpg

16th of November
Royal Navy daringly sailed to straits of Gibraltar (didn't know they could do that, damnit, I shall learn my straits better) and Challenged Regia Marina. Resulting near mutual annihilation...

image-892C_4BD68848.jpg

In followup battles, Conte di Cavour would be sunk by british Cruisers, leaving da Zara with only his flagship Caio Duilio

20th of November
While Italian troops were starting to arrive in larger numbers, Gibraltar was close to falling.

image-4CC4_4BE46EAD.jpg

23rd of November
While I have no idea why Gibraltar has recovered a bit here, capturing Air Base in Sevilla would help immensely. Also full power of Royal Italian Army is still coming.

image-8738_4BE46EAD.jpg

27th of November
After month of hard fighting, Gibraltar was lost, but we had also almost driven the Brits back to sea.

image-7927_4BE46EAD.jpg

Italian and German planes were trying to sink the evacuation fleet, but alas, without much success...

image-535D_4BE46EAD.jpg

1st of December
Gibraltar is almost back at Italian hands, and no Allied fleet has dared to enter Mediterranean with the fear of getting trapped.

image-1F71_4BE46EAD.jpg

11th of December
Battle for Gibraltar raged still 10 days later, but it would finally be over soon.

image-5083_4BE54953.jpg

12th of December
Last remnants of British Expeditionary Force still fighting for Cadiz, with their withdrawal Europe would finally be rid of Allied influence.

image-C28A_4BE54953.jpg

Last edited:
I am SU in this game, and I was very impressed by France holding so long, good UK evacuation and great Italian performance all over the world. It seems germans have done far less than italians :)

Chapter Five
Mare Nostrum

Part V

Let's see now, we need to recap what else happened during this period...
Germany took Sweden in August, this I think I mentioned somewhere...
But it seems Canadians(?) took Iceland...
Also the following will show some of what happened in Africa, in Egypt it was mainly Belgian divisions (and a british brigade) reclaiming some of that land, in Eastern Africa it was some British armor and headquarters, and some Liberians, but the liberians never got so far north it'd show on map.

monday14_s4_europe.gif

There was, perhaps, even more happening around Indian Ocean, even if Allied forces were present in smaller numbers on land, some grand naval battles took place...
However, in the end, Japanese had spread all around the Indian Ocean, taking Island bases, Yemen, Oman, rest of the British Arabian peninsula, recovering Italian Somaliland, Eritrea and parts of Ethiopia after British declared war on the poor Italian Protectorate. Towards east, most of India was captured, along with lot of Dutch East Indies.

monday14_s4_east.gif

Hmm, I was hoping to steal few more battle results from my axis friends here, but alas I couldn't find the shots besides this propaganda victory shot for IJN, I think these are from battles IJN at least nominally lost (I'm not sure what where and which ships they exactly lost and state of IJN after these battles has been clearly removed...

image-CF35_4BE527B0.jpg

However, I do have list of naval losses to date, this is not very precise one, I'll have a better one for ~4 months later, you'll just have to a wait a week for that one...

Code:
Axis  class Allies
  0     CV     3
  0     CVL    2
  7     BB     14
  4     BC     5
  21    CA     19
  24    CL     33

This paints a pretty picture for Axis, alas, the fact is, that by my estimate, it means the naval balance in Europe remains pretty much as it was, all 3, Regia Marina, Kriegsmarine and Royal Navy took heavy heavy losses, and taking bold estimates, there's one surviving German carrier, one surviving Italian Battleship, and Royal navy has left, about 2 CV and 2 BB of their 1938 navy + whatever they built after that, I won't play guessing game how much of that they have completed, since I do not have reliable spy or scouting intel on them...

IJN at this point, has not really lost any capital ships, and USN losses are also minor, I think 1 CV and 2 BB's, the battles as seen, were brutal in east, but lead to very few total kills, just lot of damage and yard time for both sides.

Of course, my list does not include ships sunk by airplanes, I doubt any capital ships were sunk by them, but I could be wrong, and while I don't have lighter ships in this list, I know lot of the fleet bombed in Tangier harbor will be missing from next one, as well as some other ships, probably on both sides, that were caught by airplanes at sea or port.

As small side note after leading my logs, I also found that Gibraltar was heavily bombed by US planes to rob them of supplies, which explains how they got out of them so fast after each time there were resupplied...
...and since they already know I lost few wings in Spain, yes, 2 Italian Tac wings were shot down over Spain, and possibly some CAS, I'm not sure of those, and paid lot less attention on whether we got any allied planes in return, but I doubt it, the planes operating from Sevilla were able to control the Air Battle, and only after it was taken by Italy did the situation ease up.

And thanks for the comments, spectators, allies and rivals, now next session you can probably guess what I'll be doing, and it was actually rather boring from Italian point of view, but I'll try to make something out of it next week...

But as ongoing competition, for a cookie and a beer (recoverable any time you come within 3 km of where I live, which I won't tell you of course :rofl: ), if you were the Allies, where would you next seek to confront the axis and where would you make the eventual landing in Europe?

Blatantly employing more minds for strategic thinking, alas, in hopes that the Allied intel is not perfect, I of course can't share Axis defensive positions, so finding the weak spot in my defenses will be left to me...

I am SU in this game, and I was very impressed by France holding so long, good UK evacuation and great Italian performance all over the world. It seems germans have done far less than italians :)

It'll be the most interesting when (if) Germans will start Barbarossa. I guess you'll need some help from Allies in western front. Good luck!

if you were the Allies, where would you next seek to confront the axis and where would you make the eventual landing in Europe?

Since Mare Nostrum is closed, I guess Allies should try a D-Day on French coast. Unless they can get Portugal into their faction... How is it aligning?

Great AAR so far!

Portugal is nearer to Axis than to allies, slowly drifting away from axis, I don't think anyone's been influencing them...

sprites; In the end, hopefully so, for now we still have some human opponents as well :D

It'll be the most interesting when (if) Germans will start Barbarossa. I guess you'll need some help from Allies in western front. Good luck!

Stalin is very distrustful of things happening in West, as recently *ominous gong sound* Germany cancelled Non-Agression pact for no apparent reason.
Luckily unbeatable Red Horde is deployed in it's full strength, and besides now still is Rasputsitsa, which means that Germans would move in snail pace if they would EVER dare to attack.

Added 2 pictures to end of Part IV, since they were in the next session they had slipped to 'wrong' picture archive, and it seems I was overly optimistic how soon the British would retreat, they did indeed remain in Spain to mid December.

I'll share one picture showing battles between IJN and RN in Indian ocean.

Well, and if you are interested to see how it was short after beginning of battle Forgiven posted just those USN results for, second picture shows it.

Attachments

• memento1.jpg
    memento1.jpg
    52,6 KB · Views: 187
  • memento2.jpg
    memento2.jpg
    53,6 KB · Views: 167
Thank you, now we only miss results of the battle where Bismark and Tirpitz got sunk, I could have sworn I saw them somewhere...

Look in Axis forum, I think it's somewhere in Germany's topic or maybe blurry one.

Thank you, now we only miss results of the battle where Bismark and Tirpitz got sunk, I could have sworn I saw them somewhere...
Unfortunately the whole event was rather embarrassing for the Kriegsmarine, so no official documents have been released. In fact they don't even exist, as the Führer himself ordered them destroyed.

We believe 2 BB's, 4 BC's and 4 CA's were lost, but Raeder and his fleet managed to sink at least a few British BB's and a BC along with other small vessels... However, the real price was the destruction of a British transport fleet with at least 5 armored divisions on board!