• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me decisions are the better designed system. Let me tell you why, when a decision appears as a potential decisions for a country you get to know to two things, what you have to do to enact the decision and what happens when you do. As a player this is a good thing (especially for those major historical decisions designed to help your country go down a more historical path) because you don't have plough through a huge event file (and decode the scripts) to find out what is going on. Secondly I think this a more realistic system. Take HoI2 and the Sudentan Land after a few games you know exactly on which date this is going to happen, you get 20/20 historical hindsight. With HoI3 you just know it is going to happens some time after Austria disapears, which, for me, feels more historic.

For me decisions are the better designed system. Let me tell you why, when a decision appears as a potential decisions for a country you get to know to two things, what you have to do to enact the decision and what happens when you do. As a player this is a good thing (especially for those major historical decisions designed to help your country go down a more historical path) because you don't have plough through a huge event file (and decode the scripts) to find out what is going on. Secondly I think this a more realistic system. Take HoI2 and the Sudentan Land after a few games you know exactly on which date this is going to happen, you get 20/20 historical hindsight. With HoI3 you just know it is going to happens some time after Austria disapears, which, for me, feels more historic.

The specific example you mention show that decisions are better for that situation. I think it is wrong to say that decisions are better than events every time, and I really hope you aren't aiming to outright replace non-random historical events, because there are still roles for them.

I had a long drawn out post where I basically explained why decisions were simply more versatile and a better system of putting more power in the hands of both the player and AI while simultaneously increasing immersion so long as they were mixed with a proper HoI3-esque law or EU3-esque slider and NI system to best represent various laws, etc...

But then I got -

Er, I mean. I reread it afterwards and the word choice simply displeased me, so I exited it. Suffice to say it was decisive! :mad:

The specific example you mention show that decisions are better for that situation. I think it is wrong to say that decisions are better than events every time, and I really hope you aren't aiming to outright replace non-random historical events, because there are still roles for them.

I think it is outright wrong to force people to look through game files just be able to get the full game expeirence. Which hardcoded major historical events do.

Requiring the player to read guides or look through game files is a definite downside. But I just can't see some historical occurances working as decisions. How would you plan on modeling the Liberal Revolution, for example, without events? What about the sinking of the USS Maine to start the Spanish-American war? The latter event wasn't something that either nation planned (the spanish arguably weren't even involved).

I can appreciate the move to more decisions, I actually like them. But I guess what I'm saying is that when I read "thousands of historical events and decisions" in the feature list, I hope that you actually mean you'll have thousands of real historical events mixed with decisions, and not just a thousands of "A Meteor has been sighted!" events. There's room for both, IMO.

I think it is outright wrong to force people to look through game files just be able to get the full game expeirence. Which hardcoded major historical events do.

Agreed, however I'd be all for random historical events like earthquakes, stockmarket crashes, native uprising, cargo ship lost etc...

Agreed, however I'd be all for random historical events like earthquakes, stockmarket crashes, native uprising, cargo ship lost etc...

An option to turn them off would be nice, as in AGCEEP. I've always found them annoying.

So now we know PDox's stance on what kind of game Victoria 2 will be.

OHGamer, save us! Save us with VIP2! :(

Well Johan did say that some things, like 1848 and the US Civil War will be in the form of historical events, although I wouldn't really be amazed if both ended up being simulated in other ways.

However, even if only these two things end up as fixed historical events that might be good news for modders, as that would mean that a historical event mechanism is in place, and you can mod in as many as you want.

Hear hear.

I like the fact that sometimes the AI will chose the historical choice and sometimes not. It makes for more interesting games. If you are really bothered about one particular thing, start the game on the right bookmark.

I, for one, am really really really forward to play the US civil war. Oh yes I am.

King, I think that while there should be some events, lets take US civil war as an example, I dont think that any wars should be resolved by anything other than a peace treaty. If the south is beating the north, there should be a chance of a white peace, or even gains for the north. There also should be a chance of a rump CSA surviving. Given the circumstances, the north should be able to annex the entire south if it wins, but it should have to win. There should be a good chance that the CSA will survive, as its quite plausible. I hate the present system which means that the outcome is all but guaranteed.

Instead of having 3-4 mutually exclusive decisions, why not have one decision that generates a pop up box where the choices are explored in more detail and text? In the HoI3 demo you need to mouse over a tiny "check" mark to see the different effects. A pop up event type box (after you click the decision) can give more historical flavor through images and text.

Yes, this is an exellent idea for a decision-interface improvement.

I'd like to see something like this:

*A HoI3 type of scroll-list with decision names*

->You click of the decisions in the list and a new, Hoi2-event like window pops up saying:

Code:
[DECISION NAME]

[Decision image]

(Decision description..........
..............................)

[ACTION A]
[ACTION B]
[ACTION C]
[Not yet!]

->Hovering your mouse over the actions A-C shows the effects it will have (just like in HOI2 events) and clicking it will fire the decision. Clicking "Not yet!" will close the decision pop-up and you can choose to enact the decision later in the game.

Hear hear.

I like the fact that sometimes the AI will chose the historical choice and sometimes not. It makes for more interesting games. If you are really bothered about one particular thing, start the game on the right bookmark.

I, for one, am really really really forward to play the US civil war. Oh yes I am.

The AI can choose the ahistorical route in historical decisions, depends on how you set them.

@Lützow: good idea, damn good idea.

Yes, this is an exellent idea for a decision-interface improvement.

I'd like to see something like this:

*A HoI3 type of scroll-list with decision names*

->You click of the decisions in the list and a new, Hoi2-event like window pops up saying:

Code:
[DECISION NAME]

[Decision image]

(Decision description..........
..............................)

[ACTION A]
[ACTION B]
[ACTION C]
[Not yet!]

->Hovering your mouse over the actions A-C shows the effects it will have (just like in HOI2 events) and clicking it will fire the decision. Clicking "Not yet!" will close the decision pop-up and you can choose to enact the decision later in the game.
This is easily doable with the current scripting abilities. All you need to do is have the decision trigger an event.

Watch;

Code:
country_decisions = { #This is EU3 syntax, it would appear that in HOI3 they all belong to "diplomatic_decisions". Shrug.
	test_decisions = {
		potential = {
			#triggers for decision to show up
		}
		allow = {
			#triggers for decision to be activatable
		}
		effect = {
			country_event = <eventid>
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			#ai stuffs. Is this integrated with the LUA, do we know?
		}
	}
}

Code:
country_event = {
	id = <eventid>

is_triggered_only = yes

title = "EVTNAME<eventid>"
	desc = "EVTDESC<eventid>"
	picture = "siam" #Ooh, will Vicky events get pics? Will the functionality be added in the new EU3 exp?

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA<eventid>"
		#do stuff
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB<eventid>"
		#do stuff
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTC<eventid>"
		#do stuff
	}

#etc...
}

Ta da!

Granted, I have somewhat limited experience of decisions, but playing all Paradox games from EU2 to HoI2 (and trying most later games at least once), events eventually started to feel a little lacking. I'm a full supporter of the macro-micro decision-event system someone (either Hardstuff, Flooper or OhGamer or all three) suggested. It's more dynamic, for one.

Missions

I already know that Victoria will support the decision system linke in EU3 IN and HOi3 but will it also support the mission system of Eu3 IN, because in HOI3 you don`t have any missions what is plausible.