• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
For me decisions are the better designed system. Let me tell you why, when a decision appears as a potential decisions for a country you get to know to two things, what you have to do to enact the decision and what happens when you do. As a player this is a good thing (especially for those major historical decisions designed to help your country go down a more historical path) because you don't have plough through a huge event file (and decode the scripts) to find out what is going on. Secondly I think this a more realistic system. Take HoI2 and the Sudentan Land after a few games you know exactly on which date this is going to happen, you get 20/20 historical hindsight. With HoI3 you just know it is going to happens some time after Austria disapears, which, for me, feels more historic.

The specific example you mention show that decisions are better for that situation. I think it is wrong to say that decisions are better than events every time, and I really hope you aren't aiming to outright replace non-random historical events, because there are still roles for them.

I think it is outright wrong to force people to look through game files just be able to get the full game expeirence. Which hardcoded major historical events do.