• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Yogi

Evil Genius
40 Badges
Dec 16, 2002
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
Master Plan of Fu Manchu
A HOI C.O.R.E. AAR by The Yogi

fu_and_dacoits_in_drums.jpg

Follow this link to hear some background music while you read!

DISCLAIMER: While this work has been inspired by the characters and stories of Sax Rohmer (and a few others, as will soon become apparent), it makes no attempt to be consistent with the original Fu Manchu (or other) stories. This is an alternate history world, and anything that differs from the original in it, simply didn’t happen that way here.

There is one "chapter" for each year;

Prologue
Nanjing, China – November 1935

Nanking%20Road.jpg

Nanjing, provisional capital of China in 1935

‘Generalissimo, there’s a Mandarin here to see you.’

Chiang Kai-Chek raised his eyes from the great map of China he and his Generals were leaning over, and let his annoyed stare bore into the Guomingdang Lieutenant standing at attention at the entrance to the war room. ‘Have him wait, damn it, or even better, throw him out! I cannot interrupt a session with my General Staff to listen to the whining of any old petty aristocrat!’

The Lieutenant swallowed, began to turn, then stopped. ‘Generalissimo, I dare not.’

That got Chiang’s attention all right. Furious, he rose from the map table, all thoughts of the war against the communists forgotten. ‘What?’ he said in a dangerously level voice.

The Lieutenant began to sweat profusely and blanched to the point of resembling one of the foreign devils. ‘Generalissimo, there’s something about this man that… I mean…’

‘Do not blame your underling, Chiang, it’s not his fault’, a dark rich voice chided as a man walked with supreme self-confidence and arrogance into the room. ‘Opposing me is beyond the ability of lesser men, such as him.’ The young Guomingdang officer looked as if he was about to faint with terror.

Chiang took stock of the visitor. He was Chinese, tall, lean and high-shouldered, in the prime of his life, and dressed in robes of black silk (obviously of the highest quality) with a rampant dragon in red and gold on the chest. The shaved head was crowned with a black skullcap, adorned with a single coral bead which indicated the rank of Mandarin. But the man could have worn rags and still commanded the attention of every man in a room bristling with Generals, such was the raw power that emanated from his face. Under the high brow, and inlaid in a face that could only be described as Satanic, two eyes of emerald green shone with the very fires of Hell. Chiang’s face drained of blood as he realized who this man must be – a man whose name was never spoken aloud but whispered in fear among the black alleys of the underworld, the Lord of the feared Si-Fan secret society, that terrifying genius of crime and science…

‘Fu Manchu!’

Dr. Fu Manchu if you please, Generalissimo. Now, if you send out the servants,’ the man answered with a nod towards the flabbergasted members of the General Staff, ‘you and I have grave matters to discuss, as Master to Master. The future of our country is fraught with peril. China needs you, Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Check. And you, whether you know it or not, need me.’

For a second, Chiang knew just how Faust must have felt when Mephistopheles handed him the quill. Then he collected himself. That was just a man standing before him. Just a man, but what an ally that man would make!

‘Everybody out!’ Chiang roared. ‘Out! Leave us alone!’

Fu Manchu smiled and his emerald eyes shone with unholy mirth.​

Last edited:
Well, this is going to very different game of HOI, and I'm ready to use a some on-the-fly modding to insure it is so. For a purist, I guess that would be cheating, but it will all be in the best interest of the story. This AAR is not about showing off my skills as a player (such as they are :eek:) but telling a god yarn.

Also, this AAR will follow a few characters, rather than nations. Updates on the war will be mainly as background info. And the updates won't be very frequent I'm afraid. You're in for the long haul here. :)

Cool. :p

Hee. Hee.

Two months earlier - Scotland Yard, London

The Scotland Yard

Commissioner Dennis Nayland Smith shook his head, his square-cut wrinkled face a mask of disapproval. Three months earlier, in Hong-Kong where he had at the time been posted, the same man that was facing him now had shared a drink with him in the sumptuous bar of Hotel Peninsula. On that occasion, Nayland Smith had asked him to take care of a delicate matter on behalf of a friend from the club; a chief executive of the Anglo-Oriental Insurances Ltd, whose company faced ruin if a certain highly insured diamond couldn’t be returned to its owner – a customer of the aforementioned company. The problem was that the thief, the well known Shanghai mobster Lao Che, would accept nothing except the remains of the first Emperor of the Manchu dynasty in exchange for the diamond – and the tomb of Emperor Nurhachi was located in Shenyang, in Japanese-held territory. According to Nayland Smith’s sources, there was no man better qualified for the job than the one he had met in the Hotel Bar, the same man now sitting across his desk, recently arrived from India of all places, for Gods sake, and looking considerably worse for wear.

‘In short, Dr Jones, you do not have the diamond, and you don’t have the ashes of Emperor Nurhachi, isn’t that the gist of it?’

‘I HAD been poisoned, Commissioner, and there was an awful lot of ice sharing the floor with that diamond – never mind the thugs trying to shoot me. ‘

‘And that accounts for your scruffy looks, I assume?’ Nayland answered with an arched eyebrow.

‘No, that comes from being drugged, brain-washed, burned, next-to-crushed by a spiked roof, whipped, shot at, subjected to voodoo magic, dangled from a collapsed rope bridge over a river full of crocodiles and generally having the crap repeatedly beaten out of me. In India. Did I mention the mine cart ride over the lava river?’

‘What the blazes were you doing in India anyway?’ the Police officer asked in an annoyed tone of voice. ‘It seems an awful roundabout on the trip from Shanghai to Hong Kong.’

‘I was coming to that. The plane we escaped Shanghai in belonged to Lao Che, you see, and before we knew it the pilots had jumped ship, the gas tanks were empty, there were no parachutes and we were heading into a mountain. So what we did…’

‘Stop! Just stop it! I don’t want to hear another word! You came highly recommended, Dr Jones, and you DID by all accounts manage to get your hands on Nurhachi’s remains, but I can’t say that I’m very satisfied with the outcome of your extravagant adventures! Now, can’t you at least give me anything useful to work with here? Such as why a small-time gangster such as Lao Che wanted Nurhachi in the first place?’

‘Actually, yes, I can. He was working on behalf of someone else, someone he was deathly afraid of. I couldn’t get a straight answer, but one guy referred to him as “Mr. King”. Does this mean anything to you?’

Nayland Smith hardly repressed a gasp. ‘Mr King! No! It couldn’t be… It can’t be him! He’s dead! He must be!’

‘Who?’ asked Dr Jones.

‘Someone I used to know, a long time ago. A very bad man, he was. He used to run the Tong’s in the Limehouse, the London Chinatown, until just before the Great War. Had been around for quite a while, it’s said he had a run in with Sherlock Holmes in 1875.’

‘Oh, well, then he must be dead by now,’ Jones said. ‘Why did you think he would be interested in the ashes of Emperor Nurhachi?’

‘Because he was of the Manchu line himself, perhaps the greatest one of them all.’

There was a long silence, broken finally by the ringing of the phone on the Police Commissioner's desk. He picked up the receiver and listened intently for a few seconds. ‘Ah. I see. Very well, I’ll come right over.’

‘Well?’ asked Dr Jones as Nayland Smith hanged up.

‘There has been a triple death at the Mount Vernon Hospital in Hampstead. The Government is worried about it.’

‘Why should they be?’

‘It’s the National Institute of Medical Research. The dead are among their top scientists. I’m going over there now to have a look, it’s apparently somewhat of a mystery. Would you like to tag along as well?’

‘Might as well’, Indiana Jones replied. ‘I could never keep my nose out of one of those. That’s why it keeps getting bruised, I guess.’​

Last edited:
DAMN YOU YOGI!!!! ;) now the indiana jones music is in my head and i am feeling a huge urge to watch his movies, not to mention read up on some more sherlock holmes... yogi i am inpressed by your apparent brilliance in creation of these gripping story lines, i am looking forward to being enthralled by yet another hopefully brilliant aar, oh well looks like i am going to be sitting there waiting for updates again and trying to tide myself over with other aars which just pale in comparison ;)

just a quick off topic, whens the pdf for where the iron crosses grow gonna be available?

Very interesting indeed.

As Dan Cook says: more :)