• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PawnQ: They can. Notice however that, because of my modding, Romania is much more powerful. I am keeping that front with only 40% of my army. In vanilla, I could have standed up to SOV with Romania - but only to SOV, and perhaps Bulgaria. The worst is to come: Germany.

Michaeru: How so? Isn't that AI ferocity, not being a member of a great alliance? Anyhow, if it's perpetual war they want... they will lose. When Germy decares on me I'll join the Allies. Once USA does that too, Sov is screw'd. Then there is also Barbarossa, which can give me the chance to beat them both.

Crush3r: It's one update. I, too, hope for the moment when BUL will commit suicide. Failing that I'll deploy most of my forces on the Hungaro-German front and hope for the best.

All:My greatest bane is yet to rear its ugly head. German CAS! I've given them a lot of CAS by event and I hate to think what will happen when those come into contact with my army and zero manpower! It will be likely the first time the AI wins a war against me by way of aircraft.

Well, anybody for another update? If this AAR isn't competitive enough I'm not going to hog bandwidth over it.

Go on, I'd like to see how Romania can face up to all it's not so friendly neighbors.

The second giant:
August and September 1940

Also contains the first nine days of October

manweakness.png

The war in the East brought nothing new. Every once in a while (that is, a few days) the Romanians would oust the Soviet forces in Stryj.
morestryj.png

Several times the occupation of the province would be considered, but abandoned each time as unfeasible. The forces in the east were kept, however, well supplied with anything they could ever need - except soldiers of course.

easternfrontaug.png

From nearby Presov, the Hungarians observed the debacle and (I hope for their sake) took notes.
stryjendofaugust.png

The emphasis, as summer passed into autumn, would be in the West: the Axis,
which consisted of Germany, Hungary, Italy and... Syria, demanded that Romania cede northern Transylvania to Hungary. This included Satu Mare, where the king had his HQ as commander of the First Army. As he read the ultimatum, the king's ears reddened. He phoned Budapest in a heartbeat, and demanded in no uncertain, or overly polite, terms, to speak with its head of state, Gyula Gombos de Jakfa.

"This is Jakfa," heard the king in his receiver. The voice was that of a balding, old, somewhat bloated and very bored Hungarian nobleman.
"And this is Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen," snapped the king haughtily. "I've just received a document which says you are demanding Transylvania from us! Is this some sick joke? I'm at war with the damned Soviet Union, I have no time for-"
"Calm down, Ferdinand," the Hungarian cut in snidely. "We know whom you're fighting, and that is a very powerful argument for you to be more pliable!"
"I'll calm down when you'll explain how you imagine that I'll fold for you when I didn't for Stalin," said the king; his voice was now like steel and Jakfa, who was a politician of no small experience, understood on the spot that the king was not yielding.
"If you do not relent, it means war with Germany, Ferdinand. Think twice," he tried nonetheless.
"This matter requires no thinking," snarled the king. "I'll not come uninvited, but if you are declaring war, then I guess I'll see you in Budapest!"
"Or I you in Bucarest; war it is then." Jakfa hung up.

War it was then.
hundeclareswar.png

Ferdinand immediately phoned his generals all along the Hungarian border.
"Begin Operation Coasa (Scythe), variation B."

That was the codename for the planned conquest of Hungary, with Slovakia included.

Telegrams arrived from the Western Allies, who, upon the declaration of war between Romania and Germany, regarded the former nation as part of their bloc by default. France was offering blueprints, but not important ones, and the other messages were even less important (for example Churchill's very bombastic congratulation discourse).
throwninAllies7sept.png

Operation Scythe was put into play at once.
attackinghun.png

Hungary's forces were only prepared for minor border skirmishes; a full scaled Romanian invasion was far beyond their power to hold back and the Romanian High Command were confident that the four Hungarian divisions they had initially encountered could have been easily thrown aside by two Romanian. But Germany was not about to let its ally fall:
firstencounterwehrmacht.png

This first encounter was ill-fated for the overly speedy motorized infantry division, but as soon as the Romanians occupied Presov, they secured forward observation posts on the good vantage points that the Carpathians' foothills offered over the Polish and Hungarian plains. What they saw was two German army groups moving into Hungary.

At the same time Bulgaria's Tsar Boris III sent his most stern demand for Constanta and the Cadrilater region (IRL they only asked for the Cadrilater, which is southern Dobrogea). He did so by telegram. The king laughed sardonically. "What the devil is the matter with all these people?" he wondered aloud, and his minister of foreign affairs, N. Titulescu, phoned for Sofia and asked for the Tsar.

"To tell you the truth, Your Highness, the king was not at all happy with your message, although he did laugh," said (in French) Titulescu, who was in a cranky mood and had no patience for Bulgarians. "So I'll make this short. We do not yield. What is your answer?"
"My ansver is a deglaration of var against the Sovied Union," answered Boris with a thick accent, and seemingly without hesitation.
Bulftw.png

"I was expecting you would - what?" Titulescu was dumbstruck.
"You would nod underztand," said Boris.
"I... I don't think I could!" said the Romanian minister after an embarassing silence. "But how do you intend to act upon this, if I may ask?"
"I do not," said Boris. "It is more ov a message that I vill have no more traffic with the bolsheviks."
"And you will lay your claim to rest?" tried Titulescu.
"Iv you survive," answered the Tsar coldly, and, after they exchanged a small measure of diplomatic niceties, he hung up.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Operation Scythe was looking promising:
maxadvance.png

This is when the full weight of the Wehrmacht struck.

First in Presov, and the King himself preferred to retreat rather than lose both territory and soldiers:
kickedfrompresov.png

And then in eastern Hungary:
kickedfromderbecen.png

But when the Romanians crossed the border back onto their own lands, they stood fast and would yield no longer. The Germans themselves halted; they meant to press the attack further south, in Timisoara:

BattlesforTimisoara.png

The battle was waged between forces of near-equal strength and it fared ill with both sides, but the Germans merely sent another army:
battlesforTimisoara21.png

This time the king's response decided the outcome: a general attack was launched against the German Army Group D and they were forced to withdraw their attack on Timisoara, but the king was obsessed with cutting his losses. He withdrew the attack.

Conclusions:
The war with the Axis has gone rather poorly, and it is my fault. I have learned the hard way that you don't make advances in enemy territory when faced with more than serious opposition and a lack of manpower. I would now need more than one non-combat month to reinforce all my armies to full strength.
Right now that seems beyond hope, as the Wehrmacht is massed at my borders and seems keen on Timisoara, which is defended by two divisions of infantry and three of mountaineers - these would have been part in the attack of Bulgaria.
Besides, I think I should not let the Soviets make a solid base of Stryj. I have no forces to spare against THEIR attacks, if they should come.
Meanwhile I have not seen aught of German CAS, which I had been fearing; the Allies have taken over the air through the bases I had the decency to build in northern Romania.

Hope I didn't miss any Swastikas! :D
I just hope that at least a few people are enjoying this AAR. I would not like to spend my time in vain. If there's something about it that makes it boring, let me know.
Perhaps I am going into too much detail, making my updates overlong?

Last edited:
You used the same pics in the Presov defeat and the east Hungary defeat... :wacko:

But very good. Are you actually invading Bulgaria? How's that going? Should bring in at least a little MP, I suppose.

Arthulian: That's not their reputation IRL, but who knows if that's not exactly their plan? Riddles in the dark...

likk992: Confounded mistakes :mad: well both fixed now. I'm not invading Bulgaria; in fact if they decide to backstab me, I'm through! All my forces are busy holding Germany and the Soviet Union at bay.

imanc: Thanks, but I don't need luck, I need manpower! :D

Ritterkreuz: Don't expect any significant gains unless either the Germans or the Soviets suffer a very shitty turn of events, or Barbarossa (or its reverse) starts. Alternatively I might be able to shaft the Germans if they invade Yugoslavia... but they would only need a small number of divisions for that and with me having no forces to spare they might as well keep me in check the Wehrmacht's might. They have Italy as well, but Albania is free.

Why do all of the German leaders have black bar on their eyes?

KanaX said:
Why do all of the German leaders have black bar on their eyes?
I was just about to ask that. :confused:

When you take out Bulgaria, don't destroy their divisions, puppet them, so you can use the extra forces. The Wermacht needs to be taught a lesson.

Crush3r: I'm not taking Bulgaria down, not for the moment. Have other plans for them. After all, they did back down when I didn't give them the Cadrilater, so I have no casus belli. I've yet to declare war on anyone.
myself said:
I'm not invading Bulgaria
rcduggan, KanaX:
Denny Crane from "Boston Legal" said:
Every once in a while I stick a cigar in my ear, just to keep them wondering.
This is my cigar in ear.

Salout333: I have already made four very big mistakes, but you're right, the fifth would certainly be the last nail in the coffin.

I haven't subscribed to this yet? Blast...

<de-lurks>

*subscribed*

There...

Well now, between a rock and a hard place. Pity about the manpower issue...its always something when playing a minor. Last week I played Poland...and had loads of manpower, and not enough TC. "My kingdom for another factory!"

If you can hold through the winter, you ought to be okay. I am mightily impressed that you are managing to face the wrath of not one, but two superpower's (almost) undivided attention without being squashed like a bug. If your king can survive...minstrels will sing his name and his deeds throughout the ages to come!

TheExecuter

You may want to post air battles and the tech level of the planes, as I can make some nice screenies in IL-2. Here's an example: The captain of a squadron of recently acquired A-20 Tactical Bombers braves anti aircraft fire to do a skip bombing run and destroy a Soviet ship of the coast of Crimea. The plane was heavily damaged and the top gunner almost bled to death by the time the plane had gotten back home.

skipbombzg3.jpg

Saulot333 said:
Nice screenshot! Which game is that from?

IL-2. It's a flight simulator. Combat flight, not like the Microsoft one.