• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
rubbish! Rotten was last here on the 4th of Dec. maybe hes taking a holiday somewhere without the internet? Maybe the Sahara or Antarctica. He'll come back and BAM! 5 updates in one day. great news

Long overdue retirement announcement

Hello folks, after more than 6 months I finally get around to giving a message out of my retirement. Mods: sorry for reviving an age-old thread, but it's the best place to say what's left for me to say here.

If I'm not persona non grata here nowdays, please bear with me and my long post, which will almost certainly be my last. If you don't want to read anything from me, feel free not to.

I really regret this fine story I began here, but at the start of last winter (if winter it was) I was finding myself unable to continue with this game. Sure, it's a great idea, and not too poorly made, but it just didn't let me create the universe I wanted no matter how much I modded it.

And so, it was difficult to keep my AAR to the standards I wanted for it. With no real competition and no possibility to actually lose, the game was hindering me from creating the AAR's events; it had been reduced to a tedious sluggish steamroll. It seemed that my alliance was the only active faction on the map as my enemies and the Allies weren't doing anything.
Quite a far cry from the rather desperate struggle of the early days.
Even giving bonuses to the Soviets would not have made my time significantly harder, short of unreasonable stuff like giving them 1,000 divisions and the off-map supplies and TC to hold them. It would have just meant many more months of entrapping and destroying them, which, no matter how I would have coated it in story-telling, was just boring routine.

Finally my patience came to an end and I quit playing HOI2, deleting it (still, it was worth the brass while it lasted) including the save file and stopped appearing on this forum. I realise it would have been more gracious of me to announce you people, so for that I'm trying to make some ammends now.

Why did I quit the story? Well, because without the game I could no longer deliver the wealth of colour and image which had come to represent this AAR and with the game... see above. I'm a little more assertive and confident now than I was then, so I can say that if enough people are interested I could continue and finish this story with writing only, or if I can find images on the interwebnet, though I am not likely to post anything here anymore. So the AAR, at least in it's game-bound form, is dead.

Lastly, whatever your feelings at present, thanks for all the feedback and appreciation while this AAR still lived. I'll remember them, and you, fondly. I've had some good times on this forum.

Well I've said enough. Cheers!

Aww, too bad, AI incompetence can get annoying sometimes.

Ahh well, thats too bad. Still, it was great while it lasted, cheers for that. Have a good time off HOI... you will be sucked back in at some stage im sure. I sure was...

Should that mean that you might continue the story, but in a non-gameplay way? If so, count me together with those highly interested in it.

That is, if I understand your post correctly. If not - all I can say is, farewell. You'll be missed. Or, at least, I will miss this crafty writing of yours.