• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, that trial arc was nice. I can appreciate the problem with actually punishing the Holocron, though. How much of a punishment was the verdict anyway? It's not like the Holcron feels a lot of guilt over it.

Alexandra has a point. The Holocron just won a war for Life 2.0 - how do they ensure that future leaders of the company don't come to rely on him for defense?

Fallout, Part 7
"Fallout, Part 7"
25th Vorosh, 10 (2189)
Rivkah Of Unity

Duxanek intercepts me before I get to her. "Rivkah, a moment. You have to confine her to rest."

Mum doesn't really do rest. "That could be tricky."

Duxanek sighs. "She strained herself trying to keep up with Ruki, and broke the patch on her lungs, which meant the shock-distributing fluid we put in her to make her cope with the Flagship battle crushed them. She'd be dead if it wasn't for the Holocron's quick response. We've drained her chest and patched the lung again, but she needs time to recover. She's on the waiting list for replacement lungs, but no ETA yet."

I take it all in. "Ok, got it."

Duxanek lets me go.

I enter the room.

Dad has just finished tying Mum to the bed.

She sees me, and smiles. "Rivkah! I thought I'd..." She gulps.

I hug her. "Scarlet One, you are confined to bed rest until further notice."

She laughs. Looks at Dad. "I know." She looks at all of us. "I'm glad we're all here, one happy family."

Her face falls as we are interrupted - Wami shows us a fleet of Arishkan vessels. He looks at me. "Come."

We arrive at the command bunker as soon as we can.

My team hails the ships.

I'm met by a Human man. "Salvē, domina. I'm Admiral Leonardo Donato Veres, and I bring refugees from a fallen Earth."

Oh, no. You're not gonna break up the greatest Stellaris power couple right before Valentine's Day, are you!? (puppy dog eyes)
No, I'm going to confine them to quality time together. :)

Well, that trial arc was nice. I can appreciate the problem with actually punishing the Holocron, though. How much of a punishment was the verdict anyway? It's not like the Holcron feels a lot of guilt over it.
He might not feel guilt, but he is showing compassion.

Alexandra has a point. The Holocron just won a war for Life 2.0 - how do they ensure that future leaders of the company don't come to rely on him for defense?
That is going to be a subject that will come up again.

Reactions:
After Lake Como
"After Lake Como"
19th Qutrok, 10 (2189)
Gillian Veres

I have waited for this moment for what feels like as long as I remember.

I cried it out with Naomi last night, in hospital together. I came to realise just how much resentment had eaten away at me all these years. Now I wear a white dress again, for the first time since I last saw him.

My long lost husband descends from the stars, a man who led fleets in the revolution, master of the spheres, the man who captured Demios and Phobos - it is the worst parking of a shuttle I have ever watched. And I've seen Naomi's parking.

The door doesn't even finish cycling before he is out, striding as fast as his stiff dress uniform will let him; adorned with medals, navy blue, white beret, his broad chin, the sternness of his eyes... They take me back.

He doesn't stop to close the door of his shuttle pod.

Doesn't even stop to collect his beret when the wind blows it off.

Gold adorns his finger, a plain band I gave him so long ago now.

He notices mine is missing. "Weren't allowed to keep yours?"

I nod. "It was taken, along with everything else."

He goes down on his knee, carefully placing himself right in front of me. His hands hold mine. "Gillian, I am so sorry for being torn from you. I will never leave your side again. I loved you then and I love you still. I thought of you every day. All through officer training, all through what happened after, when I joined the People's Revolutionary Army. I never gave hope of seeing you again. And when Tian Yong'xing mentioned that contact with Life2.0 was established and who the colony was led by, that hope drove me to lead a mission to Life2.0. We were given older ships by our erstwhile allies, and I set out with a hundred thousand officers and crewmen, plus civilians, who were also like me and would rather risk the long night of space in the hope that Life2.0 was founded from people who were taken from us." He opens a pocket. "I don't have your wedding ring."

I smile. "But..." Then I laugh.

He takes out a thin band of silver, face beaming. "I do have your old engagement ring."

I lean as far forward as my wheelchair lets me and embrace him. "I love you Leo. I never want to be apart again."

Last edited:
It's Been A Long Road...
"It's Been A Long Road..."
19th Qutrok,10 (2189)
Leonardo Veres

This colony does have some right strange folk. After I land, I meet Rivkah Of Unity for the first time.

We sit in a sheltered outdoors area next to a cafe. We are waited on by bipedal avians. But it is Rivkah who leaves the biggest impression. Massive, bloodstained horns jut out the side of her head. Sabre teeth hang down from her upper jaw. More than two metres tall, the beast of a woman takes her drinks in bowls large enough the waiters carry them to the table with both hands; she laps like a cat.

Yet, she looks strangely youthful. "Rivkah, I hope you don't mind, but how old are you?"

She looks up. "Nine years old, Earth reckoning. Equivalent to fifteen, sixteen in Humans."

"Not yet an adult?"

She smiles. Her teeth... I feel my blood drain as I realise they've been sharpened. "Nope." She closes her mouth. "Sorry."

I try to cover my nerves. Gillian teases a little. "It's ok Leo, she's fed, she doesn't need another snack."

Rivkah bursts, howling with laughter. The table shakes. Eventually, she settles. "I do have some questions for you, Admiral."

"Sure."

"Gillian has talked to my Mum about you, about how you were separated going to your honeymoon. Now, you don't look a day over fourty to me, and I know becoming an Admiral is a whole lot harder in a professional formation than it is here on Unity. So, how did it happen?"

I lean back in my chair. After all, she is Arch-Imperatrix of Life2.0 - if there's anyone to give a CV to, she's probably the best. I take a deep breath. "After we were separated, I resolved that I wanted to stop MSI. I realised we needed warships, so I joined the Marina Militiare and attended L'Accademia Navale in Livorno, where I graduated with high honours and became an officer."

Her black eyes fix on me. "National navy or Amazon Security?"

"Italian national navy. I worked my way up the ranks, reaching Capitano di vascello at the time of the revolution after counter-piracy operations in the Sol Asteroid Belt and in near-Earth object patrols."

"So how did you end up with the PRDTC?"

"This will take a bit longer to explain. When they began the People's Liberationary War, I was stationed in the mining docks of Demios. I immediately defected to join the PDRTC, bringing with me two other captains in my Squadra. My first combat engagement for the revolution was a boarding action to capture the other ships in my Squadra before they could leave spacedock, which was successful. The revolution successfully liberated the Demios mines, and I lead a fast action to secure the Phobos mines too, giving the revolution control of Mars orbit, from where we secured the revolution on Mars through tactical orbital strikes in support of liberationary forces on the ground. The revolution had succeeded in siezing Nüwa within days, but other colonies took longer to liberate. With Mars won, we launched every ship available manned with revolutionaries, and during a daring series of strikes on asteroid mines we liberated Ceres, Vesta and Pallas. After a debate with the other two Captains, resources were quickly re-directed into the establishment of defences, as Amazon Security dispatched the Earth Defence Fleet to Mars. I however, had my mathematicians calculate the right trajectories for an intercept with railgun rounds, and we successfully managed to disable several ships during transit from hyper-velocity impacts. By this time, four months had passed on Earth, and the People's Revolutionary Army had managed to secure dozens of countries. The Earth Defence Fleet was therefore split as the crews had split loyalties, and began infighting, with revolutionaries winning thanks to their support within the crewmen. They held the fleet together, and I took command as Admiral of the People's Revolutionary Navy, and burned for Earth. Making repairs in transit, we used local space superiority to support the revolution, liberating the Lunese colonies and supporting from orbit the ongoing ground warfare. After four years, the revolution was victorious."

She sits, smiling. "What kind of weapons and propulsion did you use? Any experience with thermonuclear pulse propulsion?"

"Standard weapons mostly, combustion reaction guns, lasers, railguns and missiles. Mostly methane nuclear thermal rockets, some methane-oxygen combustion rockets, and experience with octaazacubane combustion rockets. No thermonuclear pulse propulsion experience."

She reclines thoughtfully. "Slight downside, more than outweighed by the experience. What do you know of those Arishkan vessels? Ever used those in combat?"

"Some skirmishes with MSI, but I departed long before they persuaded our former allies to turn on us."

"Ok. Final question. My Mum has the conviction that our war with MSI must not be an existential threat type total war for the Olinbar. That they must know that they have a future in our civilisation. As a result, there are Life2.0 aligned Olinbar in command positions here." She looks straight into my eyes. "Can you and your people accept orders from an Olinbar?"

I take a while to think that over. "I would like to why the colony trusts them, but in principle it would be acceptable."

She relaxes. "Good."

I turn the questions on her. "What makes you fit for command?"

She smiles. "They come here, I eat them."

Rivkah makes quite the first impression. Full adult Rivkah is going to be scary.

"It's Been A Long Road..."
And I can feel a change in the wind right now
It's the end of MSI's day.
;)

...Getting From There To Here
"...Getting From There To Here"
19th Qutrok, 10 (2189)
Gillian Veres

Listening to my husband's war sends me into a contemplative mood as I think about what he went through. I look at him. "Would you like to know what I went through?"

I've heard you were used as a Companionship Asset."

I nod. "Auctioned my virginity and then sold me to the docks. I survived. Lived off the rage I felt. Met Clarissa, Tina, Rachel, Lyria and Naomi. We were sold to the slave ship and separated for a while as Naomi became the captain's toy."

I fight back tears. He puts his arms around me. "You don't have to say any more."

I wipe my eyes. "No. We're getting better. So, Naomi coordinates with a Molluscoid named Daas to organise a rebellion, and she kills the Captain in his quarters, takes his access card and opens the ship up. MSI sabotage the ship before we can take engineering and we crash-land here. Then we built ourselves up. Valerius Albanius, an Olinbar ex-armaments manufacturer, brought a freighter with him that we armed and armoured and sent out with those who wanted to go home. Then Gaius Licenius turned up with a Flagship."

His eyes go wide. "A Flagship? How did you beat it?"

"Naomi lured it into low orbit, and we used the rocky ring as a launch site for boarders and weapons. She and her husband were first in. I led a team in to capture Gaius Licenius and his wife, and we watched Naomi execute him."

His eyes narrow. "Naomi executed prisoners of war?"

"Several personally, thousands on her orders. MSI sabotaged the Flagship and we had thousands of prisoners. We couldn't take the risk of letting them go free, so Naomi organised proceedings for working out which Olinbar we could trust, and had everyone else executed."

He's silent for a while. "I don't want to be a party to war crimes."

I think about Naomi. "I know how she'd reply."

"Go on?"

"'Law is silent in times of war.'" I look at him. "You aren't the only one to question it."

"I see. Then what happened?"

"Then Thando arrived, and the Holocron of Yehoshua HaMaadimi. He's why there's a broken MSI fleet in orbit now, they came straight here after burning Earth."

He shakes his head. "I thought the sensor scans were erroneous when we first entered the system. Residual radioactive particles were unprecedentedly high."

I nod. Then look at Rivkah. "How many gigatons did the Holocron use in the end?"

She shrugs. "At least eighty."

His face goes blank. "No wonder they were so high..." Then his eyes go wide. "How badly affected is the colony?"

"Thousands dead, thousands more now suffering cancer. Ironically he killed more of us than MSI did."

He holds his head. "Wow. Wow... That's a lot to think about."

Rivkah sighs. "We did what we had to do."

He frowns. "That is definitely something I want to discuss with Naomi. You know what you have done would have been war crimes on Earth."

My heart is in my mouth. Rivkah smiles, then lifts my dress. "MSI did this to your wife; I would not defend them if I were you."

My husband looks at the charred stumps that are all I have left. The Praetorian who got me sliced with a plasma heated blade, the white-hot metal scorching the nerves so badly that normal prosthetics can't help me. He looks up to my eyes. I nod. "I'll probably never walk again from nerve damage, and I'm on painkillers for the rest of my life." I take his hand. "Leo, you always were a moral man. But we have to take our victories any which way we can."

Last edited:
Rivkah sighs. "We did what we had to do."

He frowns. "That is definitely something I want to discuss with Naomi. You know what you have done would have been war crimes on Earth."

My heart is in my mouth. Rivkah smiles, then lifts my dress. "MSI did this to your wife; I would not defend them if I were you."

My husband looks at the charred stumps that are all I have left. The Praetorian who got me sliced with plasma heated blade, the white-hot metal scorching the nerves so badly that normal prosthetics can't help me. He looks up to my eyes. I nod. "I'll probably never walk again from nerve damage, and I'm on painkillers for the rest of my life." I take his hand. "Leo, you always were a moral man. But we have to take our victories any which way we can."
It's a good thing there's a whole Galactic Community out there. I would hate for a victorious Life 2.0 to be alone in the room while writing the interstellar version of the Laws of Armed Conflict. Doubly so if MSI does not survive this war.

Use of indiscriminate weapons, collective punishment of prisoners, and execution of prisoners are all serious violations, but we can't ignore the fact that Rivkah has a point. Life 2.0 was caught between a rock and a hard place there, with no "good" options.

But that's just my own opinions on the topic leaking through. Had to help teach a LoAC class to my unit recently. I've been hopelessly lost in thought about what the rules of war would look like in a typical Stellaris galaxy after factoring in concepts like Sentient AI and Hive Minds.

Well... It's darker than you think.

Firstly, the strictest Galactic Community legislation is "Demobilisation Initiative":*

Banned Purges except Displacement
Banned Using World Cracker
Banned Using Neutron Sweep
Banned Using Divine Enforcer
Banned Using Nanobot Diffuser
Banned Using Devolving Beam
Banned Using Deluge Machine
Banned Indiscriminate Bombardment Stance
Banned Armageddon Bombardment Stance
Banned Unrestricted Wars War Philosophy
Banned Militarized Economy Economic Policy

Life2.0 is not actually in breach; Life2.0 has not engaged in Indiscriminate Bombardment, nor are Olinbar being purged, and they don't have any Colossi, and Total War CB wars aren't Banned. Nothing in the Galactic Community rules bans anything Naomi has authorised. Sure, on Earth she'd be going to the Hague for a lot of infractions (you've missed attacking while under truce and attacking while wearing opponent's uniforms, for example; Naomi and the Holocron have both ordered these, with both doing the latter personally) but this isn't Earth; neither Life2.0 or MSI are signatories to the Geneva Conventions, and therefore the argument would first have to debate whether it has jurisdiction over their conflict.

The Holocron is theoretically in a sort of grey area as the Iriphubliki-In-Exile in principle could be argued to continue Zimbabwe's ratification of the Conventions. (barring Protocol III and an article 90 declaration)

Secondly, and worse still, this is a setting where the Prikki have the equivalent of a Permanent Security Council seat. The chances of even Reverence For Life being passed is therefore minimal.

For the avoidance of doubt - this is setting up Leonardo's "What the hell, Naomi!" speech.

* Assuming you have the Federations DLC; if you don't, the strictest restrictions are Independent Tribunals, which are:
Banned Purges except Displacement
Banned Using World Cracker
Banned Using Neutron Sweep
Banned Using Divine Enforcer
Banned Using Nanobot Diffuser
Banned Using Devolving Beam
Banned Using Deluge Machine
Banned Indiscriminate Bombardment Stance
Banned Armageddon Bombardment Stance

Last edited:
Maybe I miss that, but when History of Earth diverge from the OTL ? What was the big events of this alternate ? I am but curious about the "Zimbabwe's ratification of the Conventions"
Zimbabwe has already ratified the Geneva Conventions and Protocols I and II. That's OTL history going back a few decades.

The Holocron has a piece discussing the changes here. But essentially, the point of divergence presumes MegaCorp entities supplanting current national governments through various means, with Amazon engineering a buyout of the USA after buying lots of pet senators and congressmen. The process is encouraged and hastened by contact with MSI, who trade technology for Indentured Assets.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Life2.0 is not actually in breach; Life2.0 has not engaged in Indiscriminate Bombardment, nor are Olinbar being purged, and they don't have any Colossi, and Total War CB wars aren't Banned. Nothing in the Galactic Community rules bans anything Naomi has authorised. Sure, on Earth she'd be going to the Hague for a lot of infractions (you've missed attacking while under truce and attacking while wearing opponent's uniforms, for example; Naomi and the Holocron have both ordered these, with the Holocron doing the latter personally) but this isn't Earth; neither Life2.0 or MSI are signatories to the Geneva Conventions, and therefore the argument would first have to debate whether it has jurisdiction over their conflict.

The Holocron is theoretically in a sort of grey area as the Iriphubliki-In-Exile in principle could be argued to continue Zimbabwe's ratification of the Conventions. (barring Protocol III and an article 90 declaration)

Secondly, and worse still, this is a setting where the Prikki have the equivalent of a Permanent Security Council seat. The chances of even Reverence For Life being passed is therefore minimal.
It's worse than I could have imagined. It's comparable to reality.

What exactly do you mean?
From what you've listed off above, Life 2.0 has done nothing the Galactic Community would find reprehensible. No one would reasonably expect Life 2.0 or MSI to face consequences for their actions during the conflict.

Even if there was sufficient public outcry across the galaxy and a demand for justice, there is neither a willing agent of the law, nor a mechanism of the law itself, to see Naomi or her Olinbar counterpart prosecuted by international tribunal.

Everyone gets away with all of the war crimes. It's a little close to home, but what science fiction isn't? XP

I see, yes. Frankly, it's questionable if they'd even consider nuclear weapons excessive too - after all, they're only T1 technology.

Plus, even if there is such a tribunal, it's going to be tied up for decades to come thanks to the Prikki-Arishkan conflict...

Why did Leo defect to the PRDTC?

It's a shame that Earth fell. On the bright side, Life 2.0 is here to take refugees. Perhaps they can reclaim Earth from MSI?

What is "this next big narrative event"? Did the Galactic Community finally get their act together and condemn MSI?

I can't wait for that speech, though.

A Just War
"A Just War"
21st Qutrok, 10 (2189)
Leonardo Veres

I meet Naomi last.

She's bed-bound; quite literally, she is tied to the bed. Guarded by a... A monster. I met Rivkah in the light of day, but in the evening the first thing I notice is those reflective red eyes in the darkness.

I put the light on.

I wish I hadn't.

I just about come up to the beast's battle scarred chest. Rivkah had her teeth sharpened - this Buri does not. No, he has rotting flesh impaled on his sabres. He idly plays one handed with a metal rod the size of his wife. He notices me looking, and flicks it in the air. It is labelled six Naomis.

Then he smiles and yawns. I shiver. He could probably eat his wife's arms without touching the sides. He coils up on the floor.

By now, Naomi is awake. She looks at me. Piecing things together. "What do you want?"

"I am Admiral Leonardo Donato Veres. I came here with ships, refugees and aid from the PRDTC. But I have serious doubts about your fitness to lead based on the war crimes you've committed. And I want your side of the story."

She re-positions the mattress to have her sitting, and Buri tenderly undoes her bonds. She's wearing a linen cloth to cover her body; she lifts it up to show me where a Praetorian with the same weapon as that which left my wife wheelchair bound aimed for her heart and missed. "What have you heard?"

I recite. "Testimony from your own people tells me that from the very beginning in the initial revolution aboard the slave ship, you ordered a take no prisoners strategy. You are responsible for deliberate nuclear proliferation. You have ordered mass-executions of prisoners of war after exposure to public condemnation and denial of essential care. And this is after you made them plead for their lives to be spared. You have ordered attacks while under truce. You have ordered attacks while wearing enemy uniforms and armour. And worst of all, you are actively planning to engage in orbital bombardments that will kill billions. You have or are planning to violate all four key principles of a just war." I look into her eyes. "What the actual hell are you playing at?"

Her husband pounces on me, pain spikes through my arms, back and legs as I'm smashed to the floor; his sabres draw a trickle of blood from my neck.

"BURI!" He turns to her. "He's right. Let him go."

The beast leaves me on the floor. I check my bones aren't broken. She comes to me and puts a plaster on my neck. "I'm sorry."

I look at her. "Is that it? All you have to say?"

"You are right."

"How do you justify it?"

She pauses for a while. In the end, she says two words. "Vae victis."

I steadily push myself up. "You quote a barbarian?"

She sits on the bed. "Admiral Veres, I wish this conflict was one where the laws and customs of war could be followed. But, it is not. If I am captured, they will parade me, gang-rape me, and crucify me. And knowing the Olinbari as I do, I'm not necessarily convinced it would be in that order... And if my life was all it cost to end the war, I'd take that death."

I interrupt. "But you were offered that."

"By The End Of The Cycle, yes. He offered a choice between an uncertain future, and a certain one that meant that very fate... And I wanted to accept that. But I was held back by two Xenaya and out-voted by everyone else against one."

I look at her. At Buri. I think about Rivkah. I think about the others, and I realise... My God. "You're the moderate here."

Last edited:
Why did Leo defect to the PRDTC?
They were the first to rise up - he wanted to be in a position of power where he could make a difference when the time came.
It's a shame that Earth fell. On the bright side, Life 2.0 is here to take refugees. Perhaps they can reclaim Earth from MSI?
It's a long way off, but Naomi is hoping to do so. It's part of why she asked the PRDTC to send the genetic data as a backup.
What is "this next big narrative event"? Did the Galactic Community finally get their act together and condemn MSI?
No; there might be a few tuts here and there, but the Galactic Community doesn't care.
I can't wait for that speech, though.
Hopefully I've done justice to both perspectives.

Naomi doesn't deny it, and she'd accept going to trial for war crimes because she knows what she's done. But to her, winning the war now is all that matters at the strategic level, because without winning, they have no hope of survival.

Reactions:
Silent Enim Leges Inter Arma, Part 1
"Silent Enim Leges Inter Arma, Part 1"
22nd Qutrok, 10 (2189)
Valerius Albanius

I look at the assembly of Life2.0.

There are a lot of people, many are angry. Which if nothing else, is plenty of reason to nip this in the bud. "Admiral Veres, of our fallen allies in the PRDTC, has put a motion of no confidence in Naomi's leadership owing to the constant criminal conduct according to Human laws. I also add that under Galactic Community laws, she is guilty of no act banned by international law. Nevertheless, I concur with the logic of the Admiral's assessment that if she does not have the support of the Human members of the colony, then she cannot hold office over Human members of the colony. Therefore, this meeting is held to conduct three votes of no confidence in Naomi - One for Humans, one for the colony in general, and one for the Xenaya. I will now address the reason for the vote. Naomi Of Unity, née Naomi Tamar HaMaadimi, stands accused of war crimes. As these laws are not universal, I shall summarise; the following are all practices that Human law condemns that Naomi has ordered or carried out personally. Against prisoners of war, she has exposed them to public scrutiny, denied food, water and medicinal aid, and ordered mass executions. She has escalated the use of excessive force in the deployment of thermonuclear devices. She has conducted attacks under ceasefire for parley. She has worn enemy equipment into combat. She has also proposed to use indiscriminate orbital bombardment against civilian and military targets, however this has not yet been done."

Naomi stands slowly in the dock. I turn to her. "Naomi, first question. Are you of sound mind, and fit for trial?"

She stands slowly. "Yes."

"Do you explicity disavow and condemn any repercussions that might be carried out against the court, Admiral Leonardo Donato Veres or anyone who votes for the motion of no confidence in your leadership from your supporters?"

"Yes. I do not want bloodshed, it's part of why I agreed to do this..."

"Are you ready to resign should the motion pass?"

"Yes."

"Do you understand what you are accused of?"

"Yes."

"What would the penalty be on your home world?"

"Life imprisonment, or death."

"Do you deny these allegations?"

"No."

"Would you therefore plead guilty if accused at a war crimes tribunal on Earth?"

"Yes."

"Were you aware that these actions were considered war crimes at the time you ordered them to be done?"

She closes her eyes. "Yes."

"When were you first made aware these actions were considered war crimes?"

"Childhood."

Not a noise in the auditorium, such is the shock that descends. "At the time you gave the orders, did you know whether they were legal according to Galactic Community law?"

"No."

"Did it occur to you that you were ordering your people to commit war crimes?"

"Yes."

People are speaking now. "What was your plan in the event there were efforts to investigate such war crimes?"

"Take personal responsibilty as the commanding officer giving the orders, while disclaiming those under my command from guilt."

"Would this be a form of 'just following orders' defence?"

She shrugs. "I suppose so."

"Under Human law, is just following orders acceptable as a defence when accused of war crimes?"

Now she hesitates. "No."

"Did you know if it would be acceptable as a defence under galactic law?"

Her head falls. "No."

There is cacophony. I turn to the crowd. "We will have these questions and answers heard in orderly silence! I turn back to her. "Naomi, would you like to say anything in your defence?"

"No."

She sits down. Trembling.

Last edited: