• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well if you're that concerned you could always join the Carthaginian team yourself Stuckenschmidt. ;)

EDIT: Right, here are the details of the irc chat rooms. There's one for the referees, one for the Romans, and one for the Carthaginians. This is almost a direct quote from Esemesas, who set this up and asked me to pass the details on.

http://www.coldfront.net/tiramisu/

Once you join, create a name (preferably similar to your forum name).

The channel names are #Referees, #Carthage, and #Rome

To join any of these, type "/join #Referees" or "/join #Carthage" and so on, without the quotes.

Much obliged Esemesas!

EDIT: It is confirmed; our chatrooms are running!

Last edited:
Excellent.

Anyone for that last referee spot?

Well if you're that concerned you could always join the Carthaginian team yourself Stuckenschmidt. ;)

EDIT: Right, here are the details of the irc chat rooms. There's one for the referees, one for the Romans, and one for the Carthaginians. This is almost a direct quote from Esemesas, who set this up and asked me to pass the details on.

http://www.coldfront.net/tiramisu/

Once you join, create a name (preferably similar to your forum name).

The channel names are #Referees, #Carthage, and #Rome

To join any of these, type "/join #Referees" or "/join #Carthage" and so on, without the quotes.

Much obliged Esemesas!

EDIT: It is confirmed; our chatrooms are running!

I think you're confusing me with mastahchief :D

I think you're confusing me with mastahchief :D

So I am.

Apologies.

Thanks to Mastahchief117 for setting up the chatrooms. And apologies. He is allowed to virtually punch me in the face three times.

Naw it's fine. :D You're welcome.

Just need one more Roman and two more Carthaginians and we can essentially start.

In terms of commanders we only need one per side (we can also function on two refs, but three is a good tie-breaker for disputes) though it would certainly be awesome to have the same number of commanders as it represents a certain dynamic. Also, we need one more Carthaginian for that. We have two. It's fine for us to have more or less; we're simulating, not roleplaying.

EDIT: Doombunny wants to be Rome. So we have our two haple- er, I mean, very competent Roman commanders. More are welcome.

Ese lives in GMT +3, so he'll only be on until around 5 PM max (GMT -5). Time zones might prove a problem.

Ah, those are always fun to get around. Uh... right. We either need to find a time everyone agrees to be on to make arrangements, or we need a way of resolving things in peoples absence. Of course, for post-by-post we'll also need a system.

The first thing we need to sort out is discussions. Now if we had a thread for it, we could all come in at different times and contribute. As it is, teams will have to establish times where they're all going to be on. Either that, or they will have to come to some agreement, for example, if three players are on a team and one can meet both other members at different times, but the team can't meet up as a whole, what you may want to do is for the player who can meet both to first discuss strategy with the first player, reach a conclusion, then submit the partially finished plan to the other player, who will criticise it. The modified plan can then be submitted to the first player by the go-between, who can approve it and then the go-between can submit the decision to the thread.

As for play-by-post, it'll just take a bit longer. Remember that you can also PM players... in fact actually the Paradox pm system might work better; the reason for this is you can send off a PM, and it'll be in that persons inbox to reply to when they come back. Play-by-post can be done on a turn basis, with one team taking a decision and the other acting on it (with referees approving a decision and keeping an eye out for implausible actions.) A typical playthrough.

Turn 1 Roman: The Roman infantry advance up the hill to engage the Gallic 1st line (hypothetical scenario.)
Turn 1 Gaul: The Gallic Cavalry react by charging the Roman Cavalry.
Referee Judgement 1: The Referees take into account the plausibility of the action, and judge the result (the Romans are winning the infantry battle and will take 5 minutes to break the indisciplined Gallic line, but the Gallic cavalry will throw the Roman cavalry into disarray after 15 minutes. Both victorious groups will take light casualties while their opponents will be decimated.) This feedback lets the players judge their progress.
Turn 2 Roman: The Romans wheel their second line into the cavalry, attacking the Gallic cavalry while they are engaged.

Now the referees here might intervene, saying that the Roman cavalry would be broken before the reinforcements could get there. The Romans could then modify their plan. (start moving towards the Gallic cavalry.) Either that, or the referees could judge that the Roman 2nd line tries to reach the cavalry, but would fail to get there in time, leaving the Gallic cavalry to chase the Roman cavalry off the field/turn back towards the Carthaginian lines and get away from the Romans.

So in Turn 1, no intervention by the refs was needed and they just approved the action. Turn 2, the refs objected as the Romans attempted something they couldn't do. Players should get into the habit of using the words "attempt to", as the action may fail.

(By the way, all timings in that battle were made up on the spot. The 5 minute thing comes from a Roman quote that states "The Gauls will break in 5 minutes against the Roman shieldwall, but the shieldwall has to hold for that 5 minutes!")

napoleon´s explanation is a very good one. We could leave the chat for discussions and this thread for each result. That way refrees would have oun necessary time to discuss and ponder results.

Btw, it would be nice if you could add in the first post a link to the chat, the commands we must write (/joinreferees,etc) and maybe some battle documentation. Would be easier once the thread gets more pages.

If there are any open spots I would definitely play!

I am going to bed so I won't be able to check this thread until the morning, so please allow for that if I indeed am added to either side.

Kingepyon, you are now our third referee.

humancalculator, you can either be a Roman or a Carthaginian.

Alright, the first thing we need to do is go away and research the scenario. When can the other referees meet up to discuss this?

I suggest that all players and referees begin reading the wikipedia articles on the battle of Cannae along with the battles fought before it, particularly the Battle of the River Trebia and Lake Trasimene, and would also recommend that players and referees read through the other, more minor, clashes that occurred around those battles. I would also recommend reading up on Zama, and other later battles. Basically, get yourselves fully familiar with the 2nd Punic War and the events that took place there. Referees must also be prepared to do some more in-depth research in cases of disputed figures and issues Wikipedia isn't clear on. The Carthaginian team is also expected to have a very good understanding of Carthaginian strategy and Hannibals general strategy. Roman commanders just need a solid understanding of the battle itself and the strategic situation surrounding it, and of the Roman army they are going to be commanding.

But right now the referees need to arrange a time to meet.

Alright, I will be a Roman.

You can also get more or less used to this battle with some documentaries like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x768mIiq8aE. Mind that its for the TV and from an American perspective, so viewer discrection is advised :)

ps: it´s in spanish, but im sure u can find it in English by just typing "Cannae decisive battles", or something like that.
pps: However, for a "first hand" documentation, id recommend you the writings of Polibio (must be Polibus or something lth a like that in English), that describes the battle with incredible detail.