• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Austerlitz is one well known battle, and we can continue the historical path until we arrive to Waterloo. However, it is true it may be a very complicated one to start, so we can change it for Toulon or Arcole...not so many units to "deploy", but still well known battles easy to explain and research.

If u want to change the battle era,I would have no problem in recreating another one as referee...perhaps the Battle of Covadonga or even Salamina...as u want!

we can also make a poll and then decide.

Last edited:
I'd say start of with picking the era then pick the battle.

Tours sounds like a good idea. That style of combat will be a lot easier to handle than gunpowder era.

I'd say start of with picking the era then pick the battle.

Yes, thats what i had in mind. NapoleonComple,what do u think? We can make a poll for the eras, don´t know if it can be attached to the thread. As a quick list, that could be:

Pre-Greek period: Egypt,Mesopotamia, Persia, India, China...
Greek Period
Roman Period
Medieval Era, ofc including crusades...
Modern period, early gunpowder warfare
Late Modern/ Contemporanean Era

Of course this is not a scientific list and lots of corrections can be made, but i bet all the ideas we have can be inserted in one of this categories. I also know that i included no references to Asian warfare, but my knowledge of that is very limited in comparison with the european/mid-west ones.

And about Tours...maybe too much for a start, but its just an oppinion.

I think the Roman or Medieval eras are the best places to start. I still think Cannae would be a good first battle, seeing as how it's relatively simple.

Well we've had a lot of calls for Cannae as well. Alright, put it to a straight vote; Cannae or Austerlitz? Or you could vote for a simpler, but early modern, battle (which we can then decide on based on suggestions.)

Well we've had a lot of calls for Cannae as well. Alright, put it to a straight vote; Cannae or Austerlitz?

I think Cannae would be easier for players and judges alike, so I would say it should be our first game.

Again, placing my vote for Cannae. Austerlitz can come later (still really hyped for it though :p)

Just a note; one potential problem with battles like Tours is that, like many dark age battles, we have no real understanding of how many men were at the battle and, crucially, how disastrous the loss/critical the victory really was. This makes it difficult to set up accurately, and also makes it difficult to draw a comparison between our result and the historical result after the battle. So for future reference, we need to be careful around battles with disputed figures. The advantage of battles like Cannae and Austerlitz is that everyone is fairly certain who was there and what the result was. (Thank you Roman book-keeping!) though even Cannae is disputed; Roman forces are placed at 90,000 men by many estimates, yet others suggest that the destruction of such a large army is impossible and place it at the far smaller figure of 54,000 (versus 45,000 Carthaginian forces). Needless to say not having an extra 36,000 men could substantially alter the result. This is something that the referees will have to discuss.

This source places the numbers at 90,000, but was written 100 years after the fact. (Much obliged Tamius!)

Last edited:
I call the Carthaginians! And give the Romans 90,000; we can take the heat :p

Well I've just had confirmation that we aren't allowed to use the four thread structure. So group PM's it is.

EDIT: I think we can conclude it is going to be Cannae, as it's four to one at the moment.

Right, Nachopontmercy is one ref, I'm another... who's going to be our third referee? Also, start picking sides; do you want to be Roman or Carthaginian if you're not being a ref?

Current standings

Battle: Cannae
Referees: NapoleonComplex, Nachopontmercy
Romans (Defeated Side): None currently
Carthaginians (Victorious Side): MastahCheef117

Any takers for 90,000 lonely Romans?

We can simply use IRC. A fair number of people posting here are already involved in World in Revolution, where we use IRC to communicate. We can create a channel on there for each team (as well as the referees) and then have the single main thread for the battle itself.

We can simply use IRC. A fair number of people posting here are already involved in World in Revolution, where we use IRC to communicate. We can create a channel on there for each team (as well as the referees) and then have the single main thread for the battle itself.

Could you possibly set this up?

Yes, it would be fairly easy, I imagine.

EDIT: Alright, I have the rooms up for the referees, Carthage, and Rome.

Yes, it would be fairly easy, I imagine.

EDIT: Alright, I have the rooms up for the referees, Carthage, and Rome.

Could you PM me the details? Also, if it doesn't bother you, I'd like to join the Carthaginians too.