• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
About the Papacy, we can get a royal marriage for some reason (but they wouldn't diploannex when I tried) so we should be able to claim their crown in order to kick them out.

Finaly I am not sure if we want to own Rome as it will give catholics a CB on us. Instead we could just steal Marche and Vassalise (but don't invite into the Alliance).

Nicely done Banana. And thanks for replying so promptly.

And there I was thinking that would be a disadvantage! Your analysis was better than mine. :cool:

Good traditional tactics :D

Excellent work with Italy. Keeping an eye on our new vassals is essential, lest Austria seek to expand at their expense. France is probably the next logical target, for the land connection to Provence and later Milan? Venice, I suspect, might also cause problems. Can we dipploannex the Pope? If not, Marches would be a good acquisition....

Weissraben, are you able to take your turn now? Otherwise, I guess it's Tobit next?

Go on, for now. PC crashes every 10 minutes, now. As soon as I'll buy a new one, I'll let you know the news. And, good job Ban. And I'm sorry, again. >>

Go on, for now. PC crashes every 10 minutes, now. As soon as I'll buy a new one, I'll let you know the news. And, good job Ban. And I'm sorry, again. >>

No worries. Let us know when you're ready, and we'll slot you in again.

How's the report coming, Tobit?

AllmyJames & Tobit. In the absence of any progress should we skip Tobit out and just alternate between us two until Tobit or Wiessraben solve whatever personal crises are afflicting them?

I think that might be best. I'll start playing tomorrow night if we haven't heard from Tobit by then.

I've played my turn and nearly finished the report. I'll post it tonight or (more likely) tomorrow.

Chapter 6 – 1520 – 1540

Chapter 6 – 1520 – 1540

We begin 1520 in good shape. Cash in the bank, technologically on-par with our neighbours, and with a decent standing army. Northern Italy is in our pocket, and Castile/Spain still lying low.
ScreenSave10.jpg

Aragon in 1520:
Land 10
Naval 4
Stability +1
Trade 3
Infrastructure 3
Manufactories 3 (1 refinery, 1 fine arts academy, 1 weapons manufactory)
Inflation 0.8%
Loans – 400d
Monthly income 42.13

Navy – 1 ship, 10 galleys, 4 transports
Army – 9,500 infantry, 24,000 cavalry, 18 artillery​

I begin by inviting Mantua and Milan into our alliance with Portugal and the Papal States, to ensure they are protected from Austria and other northern states.

Following our strategizing session, I decide to check on our big blue neighbour, France, to see how they’re doing. Turns out they’re at war with Austria and Poland, as well as the Palatinate (which holds the Imperial Crown).

ScreenSave13.jpg

Technically, we have a royal marriage with them, but that only helps convince me (by lifting the fog of war) that they hardly have any army left. So I take the stab hit (-4, ouch!) and declare war anyway. I’m worried that we might not get a better chance.

ScreenSave15.jpg

Portugal dishonours the alliance, so I invite Genoa instead. Interestingly, Genoa is already helping France to fight Austria-Poland and Palatinate (they were allies before we vassilised them), so they are of no help at all.

Having moved some troops around, and hired a few more, I launch two invasions into Languedoc and Dauphine. I will siege Dauphine, and then Lyonnais will be the next target. It has a CoT, so I’m hoping it’ll give me enough warscore to demand Languedoc.

ScreenSave18.jpg

In November, we hit Infra 4. I switch investments to military and stability (which is now at -3).

We fight a naval battle against France in the Gulf of Mallorca. How they got a fleet there when they have no Mediterranean port, I don’t know, but we beat them soundly, as our galleys outmanoeuvre their big ships.

ScreenSave21.jpg

As 1521 rolls around, I have 4 provinces under siege, Languedoc, Dauphine, Lyonnais and Gueyenne. Apart from another naval battle, we haven’t seen any fighting yet.

ScreenSave25.jpg

Languedoc falls on January 29th, but we don’t have anywhere near enough warscore to demand it in a peace yet. The army moves on to Cevennes.

March sees a revolt in Murica. I have to mint a little to raise a cavalry army to deal with them.

The French offer a peace of 200d. I don’t take it. Still no effort by them to attack me. Palatinate owns provinces in the Low Countries, and I’m guessing that they are threatening Paris a lot.

Dauphine falls in April. The army moves to Lyonnais, which finally falls in September.

I immediately offer peace, and the French accept. We take Languedoc, and the all-important landbridge to Provence, and, later, Italy. I didn’t want any more because the provinces are French cores, wrong culture, and will convert to Protestantism eventually. Plus, our BB score is now 8.6. Not bad for a bloodless war.

ScreenSave33.jpg

Following this victory, I spend most of my time on strengthening the economy, paying off the loans, and building chief judges. The rest of Europe is an interesting mix though....

January 1522. One of the loans is due, but I have to extend it, because the war has drained our funds. I leave one army in Languedoc, and send the other to chase down the rebels from Murica, who are now besieging Valencia.

The reformed religion is founded in July. More heretics to be persecuted.

ScreenSave36.jpg

Murica is retaken in September, and we get a new King in 1522.

ScreenSave35.jpg

In 1523, we lose Prospero Colona, our general. This is a shame, because I suspect we won’t get many more.

The Knights of St John decide that they don’t need our help after all, and that they’ll stay on Rhodes. Too bad, but at least we keep Malta now.

ScreenSave41.jpg

We reach Land 11 in March, and improved CRT. Meanwhile, France gives Brabant to Austria.

I can pay off one loan by 1524. One more to go.

More action in the Low Countries – Cologne declares its independence from Spain. The whole area is a mess. In addition to the countries of Cologne, Luxemburg, Brabant, Friesland and Gelre, Austria has the province of Brabant, France has Artois, England has Calais and Picardie, and Leinster (!) has Flanders. Lots of opportunities for war there, then, since both Spain and France have cores in the region.

Stassburg becomes the first Protestant country in December 1524, while Austria annexes the Palatinate in 1525.

Austria is huge, and we should be worried. It not only owns half of Germany, but Poland is a vassal!

ScreenSave65.jpg

I try to diploannex Milan, but it goes badly, and we lose our vassilization. I guess that’ll have to wait. I hold off on the other Italian minors until we reach 30 years, when it becomes easier. I’m able to revassilize them a year later.

ScreenSave66.jpg

Hesse turns protestant in 1526. That makes two German minors.

I am rid of the second loan in 1527. Now I can start building chief judges, at the rate of one a year. I get about half of them upgraded in the rest of my turn.

Our admiral dies in 1528. Now we have no leaders.

France declares war on Spain. I can only hope the two of them destroy each other!

ScreenSave79.jpg

1529, and a shocking development – the Safavids are vassals of the Ottomans. Let’s hope there’s no diploannex in the future, or we’ll have an Eastern superstate to contend with.

ScreenSave82.jpg

For my slider move, I chose land +1. I do the same thing again in 10 years’ time.

In 1531, Pomerania becomes the third protestant nation.

France makes peace with Spain for a measly tribute in 1532. Boo.

In 1534, we get another manufactory, in Romanga – weapons.

ScreenSave98.jpg

Also, Henry VIII decides not to break with Rome, so Protestantism remains confined to Germany.

ScreenSave97.jpg

On the plus side, it’s now England’s turn to beat up on Spain. Keep it up, guys!

Our alliance expires in August, and England invites us to attack Spain. Tempting, but I decide to take the chance to renew the old alliance with the Italians, ignoring the Pope, and including all four of our vassals instead. He has a permanent CB (for Romagna), so maybe he’ll attack us and save us the trouble of taking a stab hit in the future.

ScreenSave102.jpg

1536. Spain is suffering a revolt in Leon. I’m desperately hoping it defects to us. That would cut their capital at Toledo off from the coast.

ScreenSave106.jpg

Tyrol becomes Protestant state number 4 in 1537. They are neighbours in Italy, so we now have a chance to attack them if we want.

The Spanish rebels have now taken Cantiberia as well. But then they cross over into Aragon, and cause trouble for us instead.

In May, 1538, Milan decides to attack Savoy. We join in. Genoa dishonours, but I invite them right back in. As Milan is the siege leader, I make a peace for ducats. I’m impatient to start diploannexing before my turn ends, and Savoy isn’t really worth annexing. If Milan weren’t leading the siege, I’d consider vassilisation.

Later that year I begin diploannexing. Both Mantua and Tuscany accept. Milan has not been vassilised long enough, and we don’t yet border Genoa.

ScreenSave121.jpg

That’s about it. Territorial gains in France and Italy, and chaos in France and Spain to take advantage of. Inflation is up a little, but we now have judges in a number of provinces, and no loans. The army is looking pretty good, mostly thanks to the annexations.

Tech: Land 13 (+3) Naval 5 (+1) Stability 0 (-1) Trade 3 (-) Infra 4 (+1)

Navy: 2 cogs, 10 galleys, 6 transports
Army: 30,000 infantry, 24,000 cavalry, 50 artillery

Income 51.04 (+8) Inflation 1.2% (+0.4%)

Manufactories 4 (+1)
DP changes: Land +2 (slider changes), Mercantilism -1 Centralisation -1 (by events)

The World (well, the important bits, anyway) in 1540:

Aragon_1540copy.jpg

Aaaaaand I'm back. Playing now, see ya in a couple of days. :3

Oops. I forgot to upload the save. I'll get that up tonight - and you wanna take your turn WB? Good to have you back!

I am moving flats so I might be a while without internet. Ideally you guys could just skip me out whilst I don't have it, but if you need me I might be able to borrow a friends comp for a while...

Here's the save. Enjoy!

Attachments

• AragonSG6.zip
    558,8 KB · Views: 26
And the instructions for map-making are here.