• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great read so far. I like the complicated historical ties throughout Europe. makes for wonderful opportunities, but could also cause problems if one antagonize too many realms.

Interesting start, keep it up! :)

The Angevins also considered themselves heirs to the Latin Empire and were recognised by Rome in that respect. Henry II Plantagenet of Anjou established another branch of the family.

The idea that Aragon, home to the Angevin familiy's most bitter rivals, would accept diploannexaton is, franky, utterly ridiculous.

Still, an attempt by one line to reunite the Angevin heritage is an interesting goal. Your very own mission impossible, should you choose to accept it, is excuse enough to build an empire.

Chief Ragusa said:
Henry II Plantagenet of Anjou established another branch of the family.
The Plantagenets are a separate group entirely; they arose from minor nobility in Maine and Angers while Capet-Anjou and Valois-Anjou began from lesser sons of French blood royal.
The idea that Aragon, home to the Angevin familiy's most bitter rivals, would accept diploannexaton is, franky, utterly ridiculous.
Aragonese politics weren't so monolithic. Besides, sheer power and the possibility of protection from an otherwise-unstoppable Castilla always make candidates more attractive. :)

Last edited:
Chief Ragusa said:
The Angevins also considered themselves heirs to the Latin Empire and were recognised by Rome in that respect. Henry II Plantagenet of Anjou established another branch of the family.

Still, an attempt by one line to reunite the Angevin heritage is an interesting goal. Your very own mission impossible, should you choose to accept it, is excuse enough to build an empire.

Rene was picked by the Catalans to be King of Aragon in 1466. His mother was an Aragonese princess, and a claimant to the throne in her own right. He controlled all of Aragon except for Valencia. It's not absurd, IMO.

As was said before, the Plantagenets were not in any way related to the Capetian Angevins other than their place of origin, and the Capetian Angevins weren't really from Anjou per se. ;)

The throne of the Latin Empire was sold to Louis I, Duke of Anjou by James of Baux, and Rene is Louis' primary descendant, so he does have a claim.

In fact, Charles III of Naples was the Prince of Achaea, and Joan II, his daughter and heir did adopt Rene, so he can in theory claim that principality as well.

Last edited:
Plantagenets and Capetian Angevins did share descent from the Captetan Kings. They were fairly distant cousins, but they were related.

As for the Aragonese they would sooner have become Castillian or Portuguese than Angevin. In real life they did succeed in securing Naples for their family. In the game you have succeeded in ganing Naples, that alone make it even less likely that Aragon would accept an Angevin king. The Aragonese would never have picked an Angevin king, period.

Absurd yes, historically, but then EU3 has sacrificed historicality for gameplay.

Rene would be one of many claimants to the The Principality of Achaia (The Morea)

I've forgotten how nitpicky EU commentaries on AARs can be. Good job on the storyline so far Brian. It is your game and story, have fun with it. I'm enjoying reading it and also trying to get a feel for EU3 to see if i should buy it.

Chief Ragusa said:
As for the Aragonese they would sooner have become Castillian or Portuguese than Angevin.

I dare you to go back in time and tell Rene that when he controlled like 80% of Aragon. It's historical. He just lost to Juan II because he was a Trastamara and so were Castille. ;)

Brian Bóruma said:
I dare you to go back in time and tell Rene that when he controlled like 80% of Aragon. It's historical. He just lost to Juan II because he was a Trastamara and so were Castille. ;)

And the people of Aragon rose against him. In game, there is no guarantee that the Trastamara in Castille will send forces to support their cousin in Aragon.

Next time I am back in Rene's time, I shall tell him.

Excellent start and wicked writing!

Keep it up! :cool:

Interesting start, Brian! I'm looking forward to the next installment and see where you take the Angevins next.

G_Lorraine_1.gif

That's a nice shield, but it basically states that you are hungariand and then some french.

you could try and mix Provencian with Bar; add in Aragonese to the mix (which includes the sicilian flags so you can ignore naples' flag) and then add in hungary in the middle (and smaller!) :p