• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm loving how the Australian Carrier is holding up El Douche's navy. Shame about the French AI though.

Remember that Japan is your gravest concern. I know none of us would like to see Jap troops appear in Darwin when ANZAC Forces are fighting for their lives in the leg of Italy.

If you are lucky, you might have enough time to kick Italy out of North Africa and Sicily before Japan comes poking around the islands north of your homeland.

Any ETA on the further expansion of the Navy? How good do you think the RAN will fare against the IJN in capitals/screens/CAG technology vs. doctrines?

I'm loving how the Australian Carrier is holding up El Douche's navy. Shame about the French AI though.

Remember that Japan is your gravest concern. I know none of us would like to see Jap troops appear in Darwin when ANZAC Forces are fighting for their lives in the leg of Italy.

If you are lucky, you might have enough time to kick Italy out of North Africa and Sicily before Japan comes poking around the islands north of your homeland.

Any ETA on the further expansion of the Navy? How good do you think the RAN will fare against the IJN in capitals/screens/CAG technology vs. doctrines?

I haven't taken my eye off Japan for one moment in this game and it's not going to stop. They're not only my greatest threat, but the Axis Power I'm best equipped to potentially defeat.

The next carrier is set to finish in mid-late 1941, I think. Not sure on the rest off the top of my head, but I'm working on a third carrier and some light cruisers with research plans for a proper Battleship (because one is very useful for various reasons). In case it isn't obvious, the Navy + Light Aircraft has been my absolute highest priority so far.

lmasbanner.png

Chapter 2.5 - Operation Alsatian

indonesiancommand.png

The Dutch East Indies now fell under the administration of the British Empire.

The situation in the Far East was slowly deteriorating. British spotters and spies had detected increasing activity by the Imperial Japanese Navy and an offensive against British holdings was deemed inevitable at this point. It was well known by the world that in the event of Japan's entry into the war, the Dutch East Indies would become their primary target. Japan's exhausting demand for oil was the greatest weakness of her mighty Empire as she produced only a fraction of the required amount. The Dutch East Indies, however, presented an opportunity for formidable gains. The Dutch would be unable to defend themselves against Japanese attack, their defences were weak and underorganized. After some debate, it was agreed that the Dutch would surrender command of their forces to the British East Indian Army, based in Singapore. It was hoped that this would lead to greater organization and support from the only nation that would be able to save them in the event of war.

gulfoftunis3.png

Meanwhile in the Mediterranean, the Royal Australian Navy was not resting idly, but still engaged in active battle with the Regia Marina. Following the successful landings in Southern Sardinia, the Australian Squadron was finally free to support the HMS Vanguard in her battles off the Gulf of Tunis. Presented with an influx of new cruisers, the threat of the ever-present British fleets and Allied air superiority, it seemed hopeless for the Italians. They retreated before their cruisers were lost for good.

tortolivictory.png

On April 7th, the Italian garrison at Sardinia knew it had been defeated. Although they had made it to Tortoli, the roads north were completely occupied by Australian cavalry. Even if they were to try and stage some kind of escape off the east coast - a feat deemed as impossible by commanders under so much pressure - the Marina had been driven back to Palermo.

sardiniafalls.png

All resistance to Australian occupation had been crushed within the week.

The surrender of Sardinia to Australia was a decisive victory and the successful operation, dubbed Corkscrew, was greeted with great enthusiasm by Allied Commanders. All pressure had vanished from the Alpine Front, although Italian troops were still too numerous to stage a serious assault. It seemed that Mussolini had underestimated the Australian front and was attempting to muster some kind of response to this now credible threat on their country.

palermoairraid.png

The Port at Palermo was a haven of sorts for the Regia Marina - but not a safe one.

Although the Regia Marina had escaped, scout planes had tailed the fleet's return to harbour at Palermo. The Naval Base was well-defended and dangerous, equipped with static anti-air emplacements and a strong garrison. As long as Palermo was free to operate, the Italians had a dominant position from which they could strike out in any direction. The Italians had clearly underestimated the offensive capacity of the British, for air patrols revealed little other defence on the island, suggesting that Sicily was vulnerable and ripe for the picking. The invasion began with the fleet - at dawn, Australian Nimrods and Sea Gladiators fell from the cloudy sky to unleash a rain of bombs on the city and its important port facilities.

palermobombing.png
palermobombing2.png

The Australian Raids were a strong initial success. A number of subs were struck by the bombs and completely destroyed, while the Italian cruiser fleet was further damaged. The Regia Marina was suffering too from British and French sea and air attacks - a raid in the afternoon successfully struck and destroyed RM Muzio Attendolo with a bomb that pierced the deck and ignited an ammunition store. Several others were hit but the damage was mostly superficial - Australian bombers were suffering from the inability to drop torpedoes into the shallow harbour, and thus an inability to damage Italy's surface vessel below the water line. Nonetheless, the raid had weakened Italy's naval capacity and made it clear that the Italians were not safe even in their own home. The RAAF was constantly ready to scramble against Italian counterattacks, but no aircraft were forthcoming.

transportforce.png

Another Corps, this time of New Zealand troops, were loaded onto transports in preparation for further operations in Italy. This time the target was larger, more important and more exposed to Italian counterattack: Sicily. The New Zealanders were a brave lot, and Commonwealth generals expected them to spearhead the attack on Italy. They took on this intimidating task with gusto.

trapanilandings.png

The New Zealand Expeditionary Corps lands near Trapani, along with General Cannan, who was in charge of the operation.

The landings near Trapani were unopposed by the Italians, but the New Zealanders wouldn't be pleased if they didn't get a fight. It was less than a day before they got theri wish.

trapanivictoryje.png

The Battle of Trapani was short-lived between elements of the Italian garrison and the New Zealand Light Infantry. The Corps acted bravely with distinction and honour, driving the Italians back mercilessly and again causing heavy casualties to the attacking battalion. Command was soon pleased to hear that its troops had full control of the situation and the attack on Palermo began as soon as sufficient units were organized and in their planned positions.

italiangarrison.png

Sicily suffered from severe troop shortages. Around 7,000 men were assigned to defend Palermo, and little else.

Captured areas revealed severe social tensions within the country. Many Italians resented Mussolini and his rule, and Lord Gowrie was no exception. Wherever possible, troops were instructed to use local partisans in order to win a battle or to secure their supply lines; those sick of the Fascist regime eagerly took up this task.

palermoassault.png

The First Offensives come to Palermo on April 9th.

ANZAC brought several fine divisions to Sicily, including New Zealand's light horse division. Although the Italians were not necessarily poorly equipped, their training left much to be desired and they had no stomach for the war. Mussolini had led them into a losing battle and unsurprisingly, Australia's opponents did not offer any form of stiff resistance to the invasion of Italy.

palermoencircled.png

New Zealand divisions quickly move to entangle and ensnare the city in their trap, ignoring the tempting city of Agrigento to the southwest.

The New Zealand forces assaulted Palermo relentlessly, supported by aircraft and shelling from the nearby Australian fleet. The ships trapped in harbour fired off their guns in futility, trying to strike any soldiers or ships caught in the open. Without any proper scout planes, the Italians were unable to see where they were shooting; few casualties were caused.

palermovictory.png

Palermo becomes the second garrison to fall to Australia's expert offensives.

Although the Italians resisted the edge of the city to the end, by the evening it was clear that they could not hold and most surrendered, earning another swathe of "casualties" for the growing Australian lists to claim.

messinapush.png

1st Cavalry rides for Messina to try and escure the straits.

Without waiting for backup, the 1st Cavalry made their way towards Messina as quickly as possible - the infantry were left to secure Palermo for the Allied cause. It was hoped that the Cavalry could establish a fair beachhead on the "boot" of Italy before enemy reinforcements arrived. The Italians offered no serious resistance and many civilians in fact embraced the Australians as liberators from Mussolini's rule.

frenchfront.png

France's defensive lines against the Germans were rapidly crumbling as the Hun pierced every available weak point in an all-out attack. He now seemed unstoppable.

Meanwhile in France, things had gone from bad to worse. With the Germans on open terrain, their tanks were easily able to outmanoeuvre the slower British and French forces. Forming encirclements, they captured enemies and struck other formations from behind, forcing the Allies onto the back foot. As they redirected troops to the Maginot hole, other areas became weak and easily exploited by Germany's well-designed armour. The Luftwaffe commanded the skies now and little opposition was forthcoming.

panzer4fords.png

German Panzers ford a flooded street in Central Belgium as part of a major offensive.

The Belgian Front was considered untenable. As French and British forces pulled back to try and stem the Maginot Hole, the Belgians were increasingly left to fend for themselves. Outnumbered and outgunned, they were forced to fall back on every front. It was not long until Brussels fell, German armour sweeping through the flooding region as quickly as weather permitted. Spring weather was treacherous but even that could not save the Allies from Germany's advance. On April 12th, it soon became clear that Belgium had lost its cohesiveness as a state and as a fighting force.

belgiansurrender.png

The Allied situation was as grim as it had ever been, and the victories of Australia turned to ashes in its mouth as France faced looming defeat against Germany...

Apr 6th - Apr 12th
ANZAC Expeditionary Army:
365 soldiers killed
Royal Australian Air Force:
4 Short Sunderland Patrol Bombers lost
Royal Australian Navy:
13 Hawker Nimrod Carrier Planes lost
8 Gloster Sea Gladiator Carrier Planes lost
Regio Esercito:
1,290 soldiers killed
11,312 soldiers captured
Regia Marina:
RM Muzio Attendolo
24x Submarines

-----​

Very sleepy while writing this, apologise for any dumb writing mistakes I missed, but I didn't feel like waiting until I was awake to post!

Last edited:
Really good stuff! Is the pink looking Britain part of the HPP mod?

Its almost like a race now; will the Italians hold together long enough for the Germans to finish up? Still, a great update.

a good idea may be to create a unique non-buildable Garrison brigade that has no movement ability, then create some divisons and place then in the starting OOB. this way the french ai cant screw up anywhere near as bad. think fortress units from PoN

a good idea may be to create a unique non-buildable Garrison brigade that has no movement ability, then create some divisons and place then in the starting OOB. this way the french ai cant screw up anywhere near as bad. think fortress units from PoN

A very good idea. You could even set up the divisional oob based off of how many divisions the French actually deployed to each sector of the Maginot Line (as represented ingame), plus give them certain benefits that a fortress division would have when defending the forts.

Having just come from playing Silent Hunter 4 24 subs is impressive!

The pink colour on Britain is indeed part of the HPP mod. I don't particularly like it myself, I miss the old dark red, but I'm also not in the mood to personalize it just to have to do it all over again for the FTM version. :p

Its almost like a race now; will the Italians hold together long enough for the Germans to finish up? Still, a great update.

That is the real question, isn't it? Keep in mind Australia has a rather limited army size due to my focus on the Navy/Air Force, and I'm almost exclusively an infantry force.

A very good idea. You could even set up the divisional oob based off of how many divisions the French actually deployed to each sector of the Maginot Line (as represented ingame), plus give them certain benefits that a fortress division would have when defending the forts.

Could work, although hopefully FTM's new AI will prevent that sort of hard fix from happening and permit more flexibility for French players.

Having just come from playing Silent Hunter 4 24 subs is impressive!

It is on paper! Unfortunately it becomes less of a grand feat when one realizes that the majority of those were sunk at harbour. Subs are very very vulnerable while at port, as they're surfaced, and rather than flee the moment air raids began, they just sat there and took the bombs. Subs are stealthy and hard to hit once submerged, but they have virtually no durability on the surface. If I had Japanese torpedo tech, maybe they all would have sunk in harbour instead of most!

It is on paper! Unfortunately it becomes less of a grand feat when one realizes that the majority of those were sunk at harbour. Subs are very very vulnerable while at port, as they're surfaced, and rather than flee the moment air raids began, they just sat there and took the bombs. Subs are stealthy and hard to hit once submerged, but they have virtually no durability on the surface. If I had Japanese torpedo tech, maybe they all would have sunk in harbour instead of most!

Maybe this raid will inspire TTL's Pearl Harbor...

Good show kicking the Italians around like rag dolls - but the German progress in France does underline the fact that you're a secondary player in Europe. Hopefully, the French and British can hold the line long enough for Italy to run into serious trouble - but otherwise, it'll be off to the Far East and facing off against the Japanese. Still, with the damage done to Italy already, it's hard to see how Northern Africa could ever become a serious theatre, so hopefully that'll mean that the Brits can spare more men for the defense of the Pacific.

Found an enjoyed, just posting to subscribe. Good work!

1:10 Killed:Captured rate? Go Regio Esercito! ;)

if anything, it shows an admirable amount of common sense at the level of the individual soldier. So, way to go, Italian soldiers! :) I'm sure Il Duce would not agree with my assessment, though - but let's be honest: he doesn't have to go toe-to-toe with any Aussie troops up close and personal. I'd probably run and/or surrender too, if I had to face them. :p

Maybe this raid will inspire TTL's Pearl Harbor...

Perhaps...perhaps not. We shall see! It wasn't quite as devastating as Pearl Harbor in terms of capital ships destroyed, but damn if I didn't deal a painful blow to the Italian submarine fleet. It'll hopefully give my convoys a nice respite for awhile (although they've been doing alright for awhile).

Good show kicking the Italians around like rag dolls - but the German progress in France does underline the fact that you're a secondary player in Europe. Hopefully, the French and British can hold the line long enough for Italy to run into serious trouble - but otherwise, it'll be off to the Far East and facing off against the Japanese. Still, with the damage done to Italy already, it's hard to see how Northern Africa could ever become a serious theatre, so hopefully that'll mean that the Brits can spare more men for the defense of the Pacific.

Well, we've been doing our best, but to be fair, it's only the Italians. It's not like they were real opponents like the Germans or something! I don't have great faith in the French and British and I've been very ready to pull forces back to India on a moment's notice - Japan is eerily silent, though, only time will tell what they're going to do to us now that China is buried.

Found an enjoyed, just posting to subscribe. Good work!

Thanks!

Mussolini's finest right there! I like that the garrison put up more of a fight than the mountain division...

if anything, it shows an admirable amount of common sense at the level of the individual soldier. So, way to go, Italian soldiers! :) I'm sure Il Duce would not agree with my assessment, though - but let's be honest: he doesn't have to go toe-to-toe with any Aussie troops up close and personal. I'd probably run and/or surrender too, if I had to face them. :p

Very true - I pity the Italian who doesn't run! Even without those capture rates, we killed 4 Italians for every ANZAC man lost!

I like the style and your little touches to the graphics is lovely.

I'm a fan of seondary power AARs in HOI. With a big nation your victory is all but assured, and generally involves a million divisions. Not to mention the sheer scope of your war effort means things like "then the 19th Battle Group occupied the Ukraine" lead to a very vague AAR, losing some of the colour IMO. Smaller countries mean the war effort could go anyway, you bascially have to make up for the AI! Also you have to shepherd your small forces, allowing for greater focus.

All in all num-num-num, tasty. Subscribed.

It's been taken out in the latest version. One of the HPP team members uses the Sexxicolors mod, which makes all the country colors be headache-inducing shades of neon (IMO at least), and a few of his modifications in the SF version made it in with the bright colors.

It's been taken out in the latest version. One of the HPP team members uses the Sexxicolors mod, which makes all the country colors be headache-inducing shades of neon (IMO at least), and a few of his modifications in the SF version made it in with the bright colors.
LOL, I am not a fan of Japan's colors in HPP. The yellow is so damn bright!!! :D

That rate, isn't big enough, it must be atleast 1:10 to become an honorable ANZAC general :p.

I'll get there, just give me more time against the Italians and I guarantee that it'll happen.

I like the style and your little touches to the graphics is lovely.

I'm a fan of seondary power AARs in HOI. With a big nation your victory is all but assured, and generally involves a million divisions. Not to mention the sheer scope of your war effort means things like "then the 19th Battle Group occupied the Ukraine" lead to a very vague AAR, losing some of the colour IMO. Smaller countries mean the war effort could go anyway, you bascially have to make up for the AI! Also you have to shepherd your small forces, allowing for greater focus.

All in all num-num-num, tasty. Subscribed.

Thank you, all around. I myself am a much bigger fan of secondary/minor powers than majors, although I carry some exceptions. What I like is something different, and the majors have mostly been played to death (although I must say, I haven't seen a French AAR in awhile.) The secondary powers also offer a much more dramatic and difficult challenge when you willingly throw yourself against the biggest and the best enemies, while having more flexibility and options than the minors (although the minors can be fun too - see Luxembourg).

So that explains it, I thought it was a little odd that you'd make such a big graphical change all of a sudden. I'm not a big fan of it, although I'm not a big fan of the vanilla colours either, so...

LOL, I am not a fan of Japan's colors in HPP. The yellow is so damn bright!!! :D

Just a little bit bright, yes. @_@

-----

Getting through the screenshots in decent time, I'll try to have a new update ready over the weekend.

Getting into the toe of the Italian boot seems key. Even if you never advance, creating a nice defensible area might draw enough Germans down that the French can hold. How well-equipped are the Australians with Mountain troops?