• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great! Looking forward to the Times of Troubles... :D

Indeed, I would expect keeping the Empire together to be pure hell. After all, historically the Empire did several CK-style collapses before 400AD. Go with the flow I say. A tale of collapse can be just as interesting as a tale of survival.

A split at Split, perhaps? :p Sorry.

It's good to remember that a civil war or two every now and again can be a good thing. You can shake up the order, get rid of people you don't like, and redistribute land more "equitably." ;)

byza.jpg

Roman Empire of Europe and Mediterranean Sea

History
February 26 1069 - September 11 1070

The inevitable collapse?
Part 2 of 3

Only History, only who will pass through those days will see the light of good news for the Roman Empire....

October 6 1069

With the Emperor heading to the east where troubles could arise?

The Rebellion of Castille (white banner) surprise the marching troops of Hispania Superior (violet banner).
1069-10-6.jpg

A new strategic war plan is drawn, Imperial troops will take 2 of 3 Pechenegs provinces before the Hungarian takeover. Iulius will personally deal with Sancho Jimenez.
1069-10-6b.jpg

October 13 1069
No comment! Iulius only male heir!
1069-10-13.jpg

October 15 1069
It's like the Spanish Civil War, a little bit too early.
1069-10-15.jpg

November 24 1069
Iulius:"Gregorios, make them stop smiling of me!!!!"
1069-11-24.jpg

December 14 1069
The Duchy of Castille is slowly but steadly defeating loyal roman spaniards.
1069-12-14.jpg

February 11 1070
Yes, we do need a lot of prayers!
A good Spy Master leave the court, in times of troubles everyone leaves you.
Iulius appoint a martial/intrigue skilled Gregorios, hoping he will win in Sicily at least...
1070-2-11.jpg

VLenin- A Civil War, could be the death of the Roman Empire because for roleplaying purpose I'm not holding any King title (es. Italy,etc..) except the Roman Empire[BYZA] and the Duchy of Empire Lands(Rome,Chester,Split,Byzantium and other historical loci of roman autority), so fleeing vassals will stay indipendent and by bad luck (and history) create their local barbarian kingdoms/duchies.
Also I'm using the Split ;) regiment because Rome has a too large regiment, too expensive and too attrition, over 6.000 (a whole legion indeed)

CSK- The "inevintable" depends on the skills of Iulius, on my RL time costrains...but is not so sure due to my good strategic skill :eek:o I hope

Last edited:
Is that the first tremor of an Empire-wide earthquake?

byza.jpg

History
February 26 1069 - September 11 1070

Pax Hispanica
Part 3 of 3

April 4 1070

The 3 provinces Pecheneg Tribe is splitted between the Roman Empire, the Kingdom of Hungary (strong as Germany and more stable, a threat to be deal with one day), and the Cumans (well they are still indipendent but a secret Great Powers agreement and a War between the two create an easy prediction).
Iulius honour the multi-religion nature of the Roman Empire.

1070-4-1.jpg

September 6 1070

Gold or Loyalty? not an hard question for Iulius (event of the Mod,see signature)

1070-6-9.jpg

1070-6-9c.jpg

June 26 1070

Iulius, from the Navarra's siege:"I shall honour you Bardas, my hero"

1070-6-26.jpg

July 2 1070

Iulius:"I shall honour you Bardas, again"

1070-7-2.jpg

August 30 1070

"A creaking door hangs longest".....Far away in the East.....gold make loyalty

1070-8-30.jpg

September 11 1070

Iulius is surprised, peace arrive suddenly!
Castille capitulate to Hispania Superior, entirelly even if Iulius was controlling some provinces, he hoped for an outpost of Imperial power there.

1070-9-11.jpg

Just keeping everything together I see. Nice couple events there at the start of the update.

So the uprising in Iberia is put down for now but trouble seems to be brewing in the East! I don't think Iulius is out of the woods by a long shot.

The Emperor is dead, long life to the Emperor.

KNA
(Koinè News Agency)

messenger2.gif

Breaking News

The Emperor, Iulius, of the Roman Empire of Europe and Mediterranean Sea, has died

king.gif

[picture of the Emperor hit by the heart-stroke]​

Last edited:
Ah, well, that is likely to stir the pot considerably.

byza.jpg

A new dynasty for the Empire

History
September 26 1070 - August 8 1071

September 26 1070

1070-9-26.jpg

1070-9-26b.jpg

January 9 1071

1071-1-9.jpg

February 27 1071

1071-2-27.jpg

March 6 1071

1071-3-6.jpg

June 15 1071

1071-6-15.jpg

August 7 1071

1071-8-7.jpg

Before to die of old age, the Emperor Iulius "Pater Patriae" (appellative name the Senate gave him after death), during a secret meeting, recognized Marcus Aurelius Duke of Gallia Cisalpina as the legitimate heir of the Caesar's House. Marcus Aurelius would be Augustus of the new Emperor (so his first elective heir). In exchange the two sons of the dying Iulius would join the court of Gallia Cisalpina, they would be protected from intrigues and assassination attempts. Furthermore, Marcus Aurelius having only two daughters will be able to recognize the two male sons of Iulius as his adopted heirs.

1071-8-7b.jpg

Last edited:
I have the feeling things may start to fall apart very soon.

byza.jpg

History
August 8 1071

Great Games in the Colosseum for the new Emperor

Games_in_the_Colosseum.gif

1071_Steward.jpg

Piety 44 (+0.8 monthly)

Prestige 72 (+5.7 monthly)

Gold -2153 (+19.8 monthly; standard Census, Tolls, Church Donations slides, Scutage at 0 to improve loyalty)

100% Control on Emperor Septimus territories (14 provinces, with 16 as limit)

1071_Marschal.jpg

Allies: Duchy of Africa Proconsolaris (muslim sicilian rebellion defeated, provs returned to him)

Manpower: 270.000

War: no ongoing war, no deployed troops

1071_Chancellor.jpg

External problems: the following three have shaped a coerent and strong border with the Roman Empire: Germany, is indirectly supporting the expansion of his allied Hungary along the Danube river; Hungary, is bullying the Cuman Kingdom and small slav counties/duchies; Seljuks, are indirectly supporting expansion of muslim states toward the Caucasus.

1071_Spymaster.jpg

Internal problems: Principality of Chaldea seceded (3 years ultimatum to repledge to their rightful liege, the Roman Empire), general unrest for the change in the Emperor and Emperor's Dynasty.

Vassals: 36 (it is strongly suggested to reduce the number of vassals, for better control, first step should be to recreate the Duchy of Gallia Acquitania in order to hand over those 14 vassal counts of your previous main title, my Emperor)

1071_Emperor_Septimus.jpg

Emperor Septimus quote after the report:"I have the feeling things may start to fall apart very soon!
I ought to show to my counsellors and to the whole world what a Roman Emperor can still do
"

Last edited:
Some quite reasonable plans. Is Septimus just being boastful however, or can the Empire rise to these new challenges.