• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good map.

I see you changed your screenies. They look really good now.

Do the dark parts of the provinces (like for example the dark violet in opposite to the lighter one with Noricum et Pannonia) mean the lands owned by the High Chief (Governour etc., you know what I mean) himself?

CSK:
Yes, except for Raetia et Germania :D where I forgot to do that, the Papal State is in Grey, its vassal is white (an Orthodox bishop, It may means in terms of history that the Pope had to accept a secondary role inside the Empire but wants to impose his superior religious autority on the christian orthodoxs)

Veld:
I have many more event pictures, many come from Google or from Photoshoped photos of military miniatures.

VILenin:
According to Wiki (not the best I know )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene_(empress)

"...Irene is said to have endeavoured to negotiate a marriage between herself and Charlemagne; but according to Theophanes the Confessor, who alone mentions it, the scheme was frustrated by Aetios..."

I may narrate "Irene had to flee a cospiration, unable and in need of a force to take back the throne She negotiated a marriage with Charlemagne, the Pope supported this to prevent a rift between the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church in a time when Islamic espansion was the main danger"

Last edited:
Nice map. So the Imperial provinces are your demesne, right? The only thing that looks strange is the miniature Eastern and Western Empires that appear as dioceses(?) within the Empire itself. Was there a reason for calling them thus or was it lack of a better name?

Irene was indeed thwarted in her marriage plans by a conspiracy in Constantinople who overthrew her before she could go through with it. The Byzantines were horrified at the notion of their Empress marrying some barbarian Frank. The Pope's justification for crowning Charles was intersting. Not only did he use the Donation of Constantine as a source for his authority to do so but he also saw it as filling an void. Since Irene was a woman she was not elligible to hold the throne under the Sallic law that predominated in Europe at the time.

Anyways, keep up the good work. :)

Imperial provinces are my demesne, WE and EE are vassals like all other vassals of the Emperor.

I tested the mod in a version in which the Emperor had only two vassals, the Caesars of WE and EA, but it makes harder to deal with rebelliousness.
Similar the case when the Emperor directly controll the Eastern (or Western) Empire while having the Western (or Eastern) ruler as vassal.

Every other "province/vassal" of the Emperor has been made in order to balance the game (no too strongs), have hystorical subdivision (Gallia Aquitania, Narbonensis), allow playability of the other 7 Generals (Gallia Cisalpina, Noricum et Pannonia), and modding time limits.
PS
(primary starting titles of RE vassals are not recreables).

The "diocese" of Western Empire is shaped on what remained of if in 476, the holding in Italy plus the holding of Nepos in Dalmatia plus the free from Vandals Africa (Lybia). I assumed that even with the ipotetical History prologue the feudalzation and territorial influece of barbarians (germans,slavs,scandinavias) and muslims cultures would have prevented a full restoration of the Empire.

The "diocese" of Eastern Empire must be small because, Pontus is mostly armenian and must face Georgia and northen(russian) threads, Syria is mostly muslim and must be separated from greek/orthodox anatolia, Thracia et Moesia holdingsof the general defending lower danube border represent his contribution to prevent intrigues and coups by the greek/byzantines that may (ands wish) to revert the Irene/Charles Union (but with this I don't wanna anticipate any details of future events ;) )

Of course any contribution to the mod, with names etc... is more than welcome.(see my signature)

byza.jpg

Roman Empire of Europe and Mediterranean Sea

History
March 17 1067 - August 8 1067
Part 2 of 2​

March 17 1067

Romans in the world Census 1067

Romansintheworld1067.jpg

Religions Census 1067

ReligionsCensus1067.jpg

Court
The leading relationship with Costantinople (Byzantium) and its bureaucracy system is evident in the Roman Empire court composition:
All are Greek Orthodox except, one Occitan Catholic and two Armenian Orthodox.

Court_1067.jpg

Imperial Secret Coouncil

Steward1067.jpg

Chancellor1067.jpg

SpyMaster1067.jpg

Marshall1067.jpg

Byzantine Faction
Anti-Chancellor

Anti-Chancellor1067.jpg

Anti-Steward

Anti-Steward1067.jpg

Last edited:
byza.jpg

History
March 17 1067 - August 8 1067
Part 2 of 2​

April 14, 1067

Wife_Dress.jpg

May 25, 1067

Azerbaijan_1067_war.jpg

June 1, 1067
Iulius:"Argh...I can't do nothing, they are playing the cat and mouse running in and out my Empire"

Hungary_1067_war.jpg

June 11, 1067
Yet another revolt to deal with, since I'm a Catholic Zealous I will make the Pope happy

Lecce_revolt_1067.jpg

June 18, 1067
Since there is a war raging between Georgia (Christian) and Azerbaijan (Muslim), Iulius orders an improved defense sistem, a Small Castle will be built in Theodosiopolis, it will decrease the supportable troops in the province while keeping his defensive strenght during a siege (the enemy will suffer higher attrition)

Theodosiopolis_1067_Castle.jpg

June 30, 1067

Bari_revolt_1067.jpg

August 6, 1067
Conflict between the religious, catholic, lazy Caesarinus II (Duke of Africa Proconsolaris) and the militant culturaly advanced muslims of Sicily is the cause of the first secession from the Roman Empire.
Peasants and nobles joint the cause of local Sheikhs, the rebellion starts on extra taxes imposed on muslims to build new churches. What worries the Emperor is his inability to impose autority, he see that can not prevent that.
Now he has to choose: bring those infidels under their legitimate ruler, thus attacking, so breaking the pact he made when was elected (not to interfere in local area of influence) or to leave the matter to Caesarinus II and so giving a sign of weakness that may invite more to rebel?

Sicily_1067_indipendence.jpg

Last edited:
Nice updates. I say crush the rebels and sieze their lands for the crown, thus strengthing Emperor's ability to crush future rebellions. And true Romans seem to be a bit thin on the ground. Hopefully you can fix tht in years to come. :)

My question about the WRE and ERE was strictly about the names, not the territorial groupings which seem fine to me. As I understand it, do they have these names for possible revolt reasons? (ie, if Imperial rule breaks down and they declare independence there would then be two empires, signifying that break) You could also consider adding King titles for the ERE and WRE which a vassal could create if they became powerful enough, thus perhaps more accurately reflecting the absence of Imperial power than just Ducal titles. As for what you'd then call those two, I'll have to get back to you.

byza.jpg

History
August 9 1067 - January 19 1068
Part 1 of 2​

August 15, 1067
Marcus Aurelius proclaim himself Duke of Milano and Verona, this act is deeply condemned by Iulius, now Marcus Aurelius not only claim to be descendant of the Caesar dynasty (the same of Iulius) but he also dare to assign himself a title without the Emperor consent. Iulius take note, will he deal by war, by diplomacy or by intrigue with Marcus Aurelius?

15-8-1067.jpg

Meanwhile the Pechenegs find a new powerfull ally, will this mess things more? what is better for the Roman Empire? the now German/Hungarian vs Pechenegs/Cumans war keep going.

15-8-1067b.jpg

First act of the "Sicily reconquista", to avoid problems controlling too many provinces the plan is to attack first the rebels in Palermo (2 provinces), keep the best one and then deal with rebels in Siracusa. To reduce the burden on the treasury Legio I under Iulius will march toward Reggio and then land on the friendly province of Messina. 2500 romans soldiers will have an easy way with 1500 rebel muslims splitted in 2 provinces.

15-8-1067c.jpg

September 30, 1067
You shall convert or die.

30-9-1067-theodosiopolis.jpg

October-December, 1067

December 12, 1067

20-12-1067-Caucasus.jpg

A son is born!!! Iulius:"He will be Iulius Jr."

12-12-1067-sicily.jpg

December 24, 1067

24-12-1067-Pecheneg.jpg

Part 2 arriving soon with details of the "Sicily reconquista, The BATTLE OF PALERMO"

Last edited:
I think Iulius should search the rather unbloody way and send an assassin to Marcus Aurelius.

Maybe it would be smart to go for the Pechenegs and thus take land you would otherwise lose to Hungary? It would make you stronger while they don't. Thus your border would be safer than it is now.

And now kill off those Muslims. I don't think the first Legio will have a real problem with them.

byza.jpg

History
August 9 1067 - January 19 1068
Part 2 of 2​

October 5, 1067
Romans of Palermo will be liberated first. Just a matter of days.....
Almost a 3000 vs 500 ( 6:1), Iulius: "Let's prepare Roma for my Triumph"

5-10-1067-sicily.jpg

October 28, 1067
Iulius:"Muahahahha, death to muslims, no hope for you"

28-10-1067-sicily.jpg

October 29, 1067
Iulius:"Where am I? Why there are only enemies around me? My horse is dead but I will keep fighting"

29-10-1067-sicily.jpg

October 30, 1067
Ok, Iulius has been rescued by his Guards, reinforce are arriving, 495 men can deal with 333 men (may be, except if the enemy has many swordsmen during a skirmish).
Iulius: "I'm sure our reinforcements will arrive before the enemy reinforcements, I'm so sure I can retreat from the battle for a while for some wine"
(ahhh roman decadende)

30-10-1067b-sicily.jpg

November 20, 1067
Ops..... from 6:1 to 1:10, how is that possible? Iulius:"My marshall is inept!"
:D

20-11-1067-sicily.jpg

November 25, 1067
Iulius "kindly" ask to Caesarinus II to join him, his loyalty drop from 100 to 60.

25-11-1067-sicily.jpg

December 6, 1067
A flank attack with the cavalry route the enemy. As often in the past the Eastern Empire diocese is here to help. (or are they watching???)

6-12-1067-sicily.jpg

December 10, 1067
Iulius:"Thanks God I can regroup and sit quite in Trapani for a while".
Lucky, God is a little bit distracted because also the rebel muslims flee in Trapani, guess? both armies are disbanded!

10-12-1067-sicily.jpg

Epilogue of the BATTLE of PALERMO 1067
January 1068
Iulius is forced to disband Legio I, mutiny due poor morale was imminent, he returns to Rome to see his son and gather new soldiers, while the Duke of Africa Proconsolaris is stalling the rebels in Sicily.

Last edited:
CSK said:
Oh man, never let Iulius teach his son how to fight. Otherwise he will lose every battle in his whole life. That sure didn't go well, and without help you could even have lost Sicily.

Yeah, he's not exactly the best warrior

The war in Sicily isn't exactly running as planned I suppose... Great, that makes it more challenging... :D

Last two post uipdated with some comments/text

VILenin said:
Romans seem to be a bit thin on the ground. Hopefully you can fix tht in years to come. :)

My question about the WRE and ERE was strictly about the names, not the territorial groupings which seem fine to me. As I understand it, do they have these names for possible revolt reasons? (ie, if Imperial rule breaks down and they declare independence there would then be two empires, signifying that break) You could also consider adding King titles for the ERE and WRE which a vassal could create if they became powerful enough, thus perhaps more accurately reflecting the absence of Imperial power than just Ducal titles. As for what you'd then call those two, I'll have to get back to you.

Roman culture will spread, if CK game engine allow.
About the second, I avoided creating (in the province.csv file) the ERE and WRE prov-creatables, kigdoms, because I would force situation I would like to avoid, I prefere a breakdown of the Roman Empire and the creation of Kingdoms/Duchy fit for EU2 if I fail to be the Emperor. anyway it may be a good idea to have WRE and ERE starting as kings vassals of the Emperor instead of governors.

Originally Posted by CSK
Oh man, never let Iulius teach his son how to fight. Otherwise he will lose every battle in his whole life. That sure didn't go well, and without help you could even have lost Sicily.

Yeah, he's not exactly the best warrior
poor Iulius has been only unlucky, his stats are 7-6-5-5, so martial should be his best. Should.... :D ....well you will see