• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've learned more about wartime China in this AAR than anywhere else. The only thing that kind of bugs me is the name PLA. For some reason I keep expecting Arafat to show up in Yan'an ;)

For me it still is the NRA. Which I connect more with Carlton Heston than with the National Revolutionary Army. :)

A great read and an awesome collection of slim chance decision outcomes for HPP.

Cheers
Moe

Chapter 7: Eastern Expedition, Phase 2 - January 12, 1941 to November 14, 1941

The second phase of Mao's Eastern Expedition began with the assault on the border region of Ankang. Taking the area was of vital strategic importance, as it would not only greatly shorten the front lines and reduce the number of divisions required to hold the flank, but it would also trap NRA divisions along the Sichuan/Shaanxi border. On January 12, the battle was over, but extremely poor terrain, infrastructure, and weather hampered the occupation of the province, which wasn't completely pacified until April 28. The occupation of the province trapped 3 NRA divisions in Chengkou to the south, all of which surrendered after a week of fighting. This battle was followed by a series of successful offensives to the east over the next 2 months. Of minor note was Italy declaring war on Greece on May 30, 1942.

The Battle of Ankang was costly but highly important, as it greatly shortened the front lines.

July saw the pace of the offensive quicken, with 3 provinces falling to the PLA in quick succession, leading to the Houma Pocket being formed. Four NRA regular infantry divisions and one NRA mountain division were trapped along the Shanxi border. These divisions had fallen victim to a new tactic employed by the PLA, that of the People's Vanguard. While the regular PLA infantry divisions performed most of the fighting, once the fighting was over the auxiliary militia would rush ahead to occupy the province before the regular infantry arrived. Because they lacked heavy support weapons such as light field guns and mortars, they could move faster than the regulars (Author's note: in the HPP militia move at speed 5 while infantry move at speed 4, to represent not being encumbered by offensive support weapons. I'm using them as a poor man's cavalry.). Often these citizen infantry would be attacked by NRA, after which they would bravely hold their ground until the regular PLA soldiers arrived.

The Houma pocket cost the NRA 4 regular divisions and 1 elite mountain division.

The offensive continued to pick up steam. With the capital of Henan Province, Zhengzhou, approaching, the PLA diverted its attacks along the river to the north. On September 1, the city had been surrounded from the west and north and the attack began. The battle was very short, lasting a little over a day due to the PLA's superior firepower, training, and most importantly, its multi-pronged attack. Zhengzhou was a major transportation hub located south of the Yellow River, being the intersection of the Beijing-Hankou and Xian-Lianyungang Lines (Hankou is located south-west of Shanghai along the coast and is a major Chinese port, and Lianyungang is a major port city between Qingdao and Shanghai), and as a result was one of China's most industrialized cities. (Author's note: historically, before the Imperial Army of Japan arrived at the city, the Chinese flooded the dikes to not only stall the Japanese advance on Zhengzhou and Jinan, but also to allow them time to move the city's factories west to Xi'an. The resulting flood drowned between 800,000 and 1 million Chinese civilians, destroyed thousands of km^2 of farmland, shifted the mouth of the river hundreds of miles south, and only temporarily halted the Japanese advance.)

After a day of fighting the PLA captures the important rail junction of Zhengzhou

The capture of the city put massive strains on the NRA supply lines, and as a result the PLA's string of victories continued until the coastal province of Zhanhua was reached. While the NRA made several attempts to penetrate the front and free their comrades trapped in the north, all ultimately failed as the defensive troops to the west were shuffled east where the front was thinnest. At this point, all the PLA had to do was wait for the trapped NRA divisions to run out of supplies.

Status of the Eastern Expedition November 10, 1941
chpt7status1.jpg

Status of the War in Europe on November 10, 1941.
Entente troops led by France and Japan had made huge gains in the west, while the USSR had almost forced Romania's surrender and penetrated Poland and Prussia.
The progress in Europe is important to follow as it will determine the future balance of power between the Comintern and Entente

chpt7status2.jpg

-----------------------------------------

Much faster progress here. For once I'm fighting in terrain that isn't mountains, desert, or has river crossings. I've also begun to mass-produce artillery brigades, and had around 6 by the time the attack was completed. I started using the militia divisions as exploitation units once I noticed them arriving a few days before the regulars, and kept using the tactic for the rest of the campaign. More on that in the analysis chapter. At several points I had supply problems due to infrastructure being damaged by land combat and the NRA's TACs (that was a genuine surprise on my part, seeing them log-bomb some provinces; too bad for them they didn't keep that up) and the province east of Zhengzhou traded hands 3 times before the damaged infra recovered enough to fix the supply situation there.

Last edited:
I'm wondering now if the French army is 75% or more Japanese expeditionary forces...

Germany is certainly in a bit of bother... I guess that's the risk Hitler takes in trying to take out the USSR without defeating the French army first! And no doubt there is a large British contingent by now, not to mention the Japanese. I recently saw Germany knock out the Soviets with an attack in 1940 but, crucially, after occupying France. I should think it will all be over in a year or even less. By the way, what exactly is the status of Italy?

Your offensive along the Yellow River seems to have gone extremely well. I guess a large part of the NRA is now cut off, so your chances of winning the civil war are looking good. About the ports you mentioned, should they in fact be represented on the map? I'm not sure about Hankou but I know we've got no port between Shanghai and Qingdao.

I would lol so hard if Germany migrates to russia :p.

While this doesn't happen, something even funnier happens later ;) Unfortunately a very, very stupid AI bug rears its ugly head once the funny event happens, but you'll find out about that when I write chapter 9. Next chapter is about clearing the big pocket I made and an analysis of how things went.

I'm wondering now if the French army is 75% or more Japanese expeditionary forces...

I'm not entirely sure since I haven't loaded up as anyone but the PRC and RoC, and the latter only to see how many divisions I pocket.

Germany is certainly in a bit of bother... I guess that's the risk Hitler takes in trying to take out the USSR without defeating the French army first! And no doubt there is a large British contingent by now, not to mention the Japanese. I recently saw Germany knock out the Soviets with an attack in 1940 but, crucially, after occupying France. I should think it will all be over in a year or even less. By the way, what exactly is the status of Italy?

Your offensive along the Yellow River seems to have gone extremely well. I guess a large part of the NRA is now cut off, so your chances of winning the civil war are looking good. About the ports you mentioned, should they in fact be represented on the map? I'm not sure about Hankou but I know we've got no port between Shanghai and Qingdao.

Yes, taking out France first is highly advised :) At the moment Italy is at war with Greece and Yugoslavia and no one else. Somehow, Italy manages to lose all of the land it grabbed in the screenshot and get pushed back to Venice in about a year, while still only at war with Greece and Yugoslavia...

There are several reasons why it went so well, and I'll go over them in-depth in the next chapter. About the ports, I know neither are in the game, and that's because I didn't know about them. I'm learning too as I write this, and I'll add those ports in the FtM version of the HPP. I'm not sure about the Tianjin port though (created in the CMP, used to be called Dagu). Tianjin is and always was a major port city, and it's proximity to Beijing is what allowed the Europeans to smack China around so thoroughly in the 1800's, since they could sail their first rates up the river. However, for gameplay purposes Japan's AI does much, much better if the port is gone, because it will correctly see it can't supply a large army there and perform an invasion somewhere else to open a second front. The port should be there for historical accuracy, but be gone for game balance since this is one of the only ways we can change AI behavior, which isn't directly moddable.

EDIT: Crap, I ran into a problem. Without spoiling too much, gaeliel predicted this happening way back in November, even before the first chapter was posted:

Just a question: how are you going to win the civil war with your armies under auto-control if the AI can't do anything against a former ally (assuming you're going to for a unified front, that is)?

Because of the bug he mentioned, a certain-war-yet-to-be-described doesn't work and the AI falls asleep. Would anyone mind if I edited the save to remove the war, wait about 3-4 months for the AI to recover and reposition its units, then restart it?

Last edited:
Oh my, Germany's got itself in a real spot of bother. Operation Barbarossa went even worse than historically!

Because of the bug he mentioned, a certain-war-yet-to-be-described doesn't work and the AI falls asleep. Would anyone mind if I edited the save to remove the war, wait about 3-4 months for the AI to recover and reposition its units, then restart it?

Not at all, go for it.

Chapter 8: Eastern Expedition, Phase 3 and Analysis - November 14, 1941 to January 31, 1942

The success of the Eastern Expedition's main thrust had trapped 41 NRA divisions and HQs in the provinces of Hebei, Suiyuan, and Chahar. On December 2, 1941 the cleanup of the pocket began, with the first attack led by Wang Jiaxiang, one of the 28 Bolsheviks, Chinese who studied in Russia at the Moscow Sun Yat-sen University due to Sun Yat-sen's alliance with the CPC. Despite being the PRC's foreign minister, Wang was also a capable commander. As the PRC only had diplomatic relations with the Comintern, his role as foreign minister did not hamper his duties in the field.

Wang Jiaxiang begins clearing the northern pocket

By December 29 Wang's forces had surrounded a NRA militia division and by January 31, 1942 had finished clearing out the NRA soldiers from Hebei, Chahar, and Suiyan. At this point the campaign ended as a resounding success. The old capital Beiping (Beijing was renamed Beiping, meaning "northern peace" or "north pacified", in 1928 after Chiang Kai-shek's Northern Expedition ended and Nanjing was selected as the capital) was secured, industrial areas acquired, the strategic situation changed from 2 fronts to 1, and the NRA lost 41 divisions. Now, the PLA could focus all of its resources into a single front and drive south to Nanjing.

The status of the Eastern Expedition on December 29, 1941
pocketo.jpg

The status of the war in Europe on January 31, 1941
chpt8status.jpg

The operation was a resounding success. While considered highly ambitious even before it began and having suffered from early setbacks, the operation's final success was due to several factors. The first major factor was the Yellow River. The river provided natural protection against flanking attacks and prevented the thin line from being penetrated. The second main factor was the terrain. The bulk of the fighting took place in the Chinese Central Plains. All earlier combat had occurred in the western mountains and deserts, and the initial breakout occurred in terrain whose primary features were rivers or mountains. Such terrain heavily favored the defender and was the primary cause of the PLA's slow progress for the past 6 years.

The second major contribution to the campaign's success was the use of heavy artillery. While the NRA fielded a few large artillery pieces attached to its German-trained divisions, those troops were few in number and none were based in Hebei. As the campaign progressed, more and more heavy artillery regiments trained in Yan'an were deployed to the front, and by the end of Phase 2 there were 6 regiments operating at the front. The main use of heavy artillery during the campaign was to ensure that the NRA's entrenched soldiers couldn't fire upon the PLA troops advancing on their trenches. As a result, most of the fighting was reminiscent of scenes from WW1, as the PLA's heavy weapons would bombard the NRA positions while PLA shock troops advanced.

PLA artillerymen posing in front of their artillery piece during training
ccpartillery.jpg

The third major contribution to the campaign's success was the PLA's massive investment in small arms technology. The weapon fielded by the PLA infantry was the SVT-38, a semi-automatic rifle of Soviet design. Meanwhile, the NRA was using the Hanyang 88 bolt-action rifle as their main infantry weapon, which was based on the old German Gewehr 1888 rifle. While still an effective weapon, the Hanyang 88 manufactured in the Hanyang Arsenal located near Wuhan was vastly inferior to the SVT-38 built in Yan'an with Soviet assistance. Earlier, despite having a technological edge over its opponent, the PLA had to assault well-defended positions in the mountains and cross well-defended rivers. Out in the open plains of central China the NRA's terrain advantage was nullified, allowing their technological inferiority to be seen.

Finally, the quality of the PLA's courageous leaders was above and beyond any individual the corrupt NRA could find. Mountain division commanders Chen Yi and Nguyen Ai Quoc (better known as Ho Chi Minh) both proved to be exemplary commanders on the field, earning themselves the respect of even the Japanese and Europeans. Many other commanders distinguished themselves during the campaign, and the overall skill level of the PLA's leaders and officers was far above what the feeble NRA could field.

A look a the PLA's best generals

The campaign finally drew foreign attention to the People's Republic due to the liberation of Beijing. What was once considered a mere rebellion has now led to the creation of a local regional power. In reference, nations like Brazil, Turkey, and Romania were also considered regional powers. However, the internal political situation for the CPC was not doing well. The Chinese people were tiring from the long war, and as a result the CPC's popularity was either stable at around 25% or dropping depending on the war situation. The Chinese Workers and Peasants Party was gaining popularity due to its similar political platform to the CPC but less radical sentiments and calls for a cease-fire. (Author's note: War Exhaustion exists in the HOI3 engine but isn't used in vanilla or any mod but the HPP. War exhaustion increases by around 0.1 a month and has a negative effect on party popularity and raises neutrality, which is the cause of the low CPC popularity shown below.)

The cabinet of the PRC and a brief overview of the PRC's internal politics

Because of the CPC's declining popularity, Mao knew he had to win the war quickly or lose power to his Leninist opponents. To do so would require the capture of the KMT's capital of Nanjing. Mao estimated that after the loss of the northern provinces the KMT leadership could be forced to surrender if the PLA advanced to the Yangtze River. The Southern Campaign would at first begin with an attack into Hubei province to the west, followed by attacks in Shandong and southern Henan. Afterward the PLA would slowly advance south, making sure to prepare between assaults and position itself to attack from multiple directions. The peninsula of Shandong was marked as a priority to cut off early and trap NRA soldiers in another pocket.

The global diplomatic situation.
Note that Greece is a member of the Allies and at war with Italy, but Italy is not at war with the rest of the faction.

surrenderprogress.jpg

A map showing the RoC's most important cities.
vpmap.jpg

The plan for the Southern Campaign, showing where the first attacks will take place.
The campaign will end at the red line, the Yangtze River

southerncampaign.jpg

Last edited:
With the northern pocket closed , you should be able to win the war quickly enough.
The european war will be interesting to watch , too.

Looks like impending victory for Red China.

Huzzah!

With the north secured, it looks like the PRC is now in a position to dictate the future course of the war. Nice work!

Assuming that the Republic doesn't join the Axis in the final stages of the campaign and the Japanese hold off from attacking, you might still be able to unify China without getting involved in a factional war... which keeps your options open. :)

Considering that the terrain isn't that bad, you should be able to force the nationalists to surrender within months. Then you can slowly begin to take out the remaining warlords one by one.

That's pretty much the plan. Reclaiming Manchuria, Chahar, and the little sliver of eastern Hebei Japan controls will be a lot tougher.

I have no doubt that you will conquer the RoC. I'm interested in seeing who you'll face next - let's hope it's not the entirety of the Allies.

Well, because Japan is in the Allies I'll have to deal with that entire faction at some point.

With the northern pocket closed , you should be able to win the war quickly enough.
The european war will be interesting to watch , too.

Yes, the European war is very interesting to watch. After a certain point I spent a lot of time doing nothing but building up, and took plenty of screens of what's going on in Europe. I'll have another half-chapter or two later that describes what's going on outside of China like I did in chapter 5.5.

Looks like impending victory for Red China.

Huzzah!

The Yellow River is still a formidable obstacle, especially for an army that lacks any form of vehicle support. The river is protecting me from attacks from the south, but the reverse is true for the KMT.

It's looking like you are winning the war nice and slowly. But it might still be awhile till the NRC surrenders.

Nice and slowly is the key phrase here. For an army that's entirely infantry and artillery you have to move slowly and methodically to make sure your attacks will succeed. If an attack fails you risk a counterattack, so for this type of warfare you need to make sure your divisions' organization is full before moving forward. That's the main reason for my success so far, and the main reason for how long it's taking.

With the north secured, it looks like the PRC is now in a position to dictate the future course of the war. Nice work!

Assuming that the Republic doesn't join the Axis in the final stages of the campaign and the Japanese hold off from attacking, you might still be able to unify China without getting involved in a factional war... which keeps your options open. :)

Thanks. As long as the RoC doesn't join the Axis I'll be able to pick on the provincial warlord states after the republic collapses. After that though my options are limited. Do I attack Mongolia and the Comintern to regain Mongolia? Or do I start a war with the Allies to get Manchuria and the concessions back? Both factions are busy in Europe at the moment, which will make an attack on either much easier.

Chapter 9: Phase 1, Crossing the Yellow River - March 20, 1942 to June 10, 1942

The Yellow River is what gave birth to the Chinese civilization due to its fertility. Throughout Chinese history the river has been a vital strategic asset regardless of the time period, and in 1942 the river was no less formidable than it was during earlier wars. The PLA attacked along the entire front starting on March 20, 1942, but the dug-in NRA soundly repelled all attacks except for the assault on Xiangfan on the western end of the front lines. The attack went well at first, but a temporary collapse of the supply lines as well as NRA reinforcements doomed the attack to failure, with the PLA ceasing hostilities on April 4. The First Battle of Xiangfan was the single bloodiest battle in the entire war and the largest loss of life the PLA suffered.

The opening phase of the Southern Campaign was a massive failure in all respects

Having learned from this failure, different tactical maneuvers were adopted. Rather than attack along the entire front in the hope of a breakthrough, massive force would be allocated to the most vulnerable points along the NRA lines. Xiangfan was selected as the location of the first massive attack, not only because its location favored such a move, but because it was the site of the furthest penetration during the initial attack and because the PLA needed a morale victory, and winning where it suffered its greatest loss could be such a victory. The second battle started on May 9 and concluded on May 14, with the casualty ratios nearly reversed.

The Second Battle of Xiangfan was still brutal, but losses on the PLA's side were much lower.

By May 16, the offensive elements of the PLA had recovered enough to attempt another breakthrough. This time the target was Heze, which was able to be attacked from 4 axes of advance. The battle began on May 16 and ended on the 22. Heze was an important area to take, as not only would an attack on the town be easier to conduct, but its capture would allow for the envelopment of Jinan, the capital of Shandong Province (author's note: Shandong was important because the KMT lacked popular support in the province, and Shandong was one of China's most populous areas, having a population greater than that of the entire USA both then and now, making it an excellent recruiting area for the CPC). In addition, the PLA now had a safe river crossing that would allow it to assault the NRA's defensive lines from the flanks and bypass the obstacle the river posed.

The Battle of Heze was a major turning point in the war, despite seeming to be a minor battle

PLA soldiers crossing the Yellow River at night
*author's note: This picture is of PLA soldiers crossing the Yellow River during the historical war.

rivercrossing.jpg

Just as important progress was made in the east, now that the river didn't hinder operations in the west the next major offensive took place on May 25 with an attack on Xichuan, which ended on May 27. Almost simultaneously, to capitalize on the Battle of Heze, the PLA began its attack on Jinan on May 26. While most of the attackers had to enter the city by traveling over the bridges crossing the Yellow River, the attack from Heze successfully pinned down Jinan's defenders, lessening the pressure the other divisions experienced. After 5 days the battle was over, and the capital of Shandong Province was liberated.

The Battles of Xichuan and Jinan showed the PLA's superiority when operating on any terrain.

As the offensive continued, the PLA increasingly was able to use the positions on the south side of the Yellow River to its advantage, greatly speeding up the pace of the campaign. By June 10, the northern tip of the front had crossed the river completely and entered the hills of Shandong. The NRA's front was slowly collapsing, but the National Revolutionary Army still had much fight left in it, and the drive to the Yangtze would not be easy.

The status of the northern front on June 10, after the Battle of Jining

----------------------------------

You can see it in some of the screenshots, but I'm mass-producing artillery and attaching it to the infantry divisions. The 3-3 divisions you see have artillery, while the 3-2 ones don't. If you look at where the artillery-equipped divisions are located you'll notice a pattern in regards to where progress is slowest and quickest.

Last edited:
Presumably you've researched the artillery reasonably up-to-date?

I am not sure about the rest of the readers, but I would love to see an update showing your industry and research? Maybe combine it with the 'what's going on in Europe' update?

Good job on your crossing the Rubicon/Yellow River!

Cheers
Moe

Status
Not open for further replies.