• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 1: Recovery

After the Long March, Mao Zedong's influence in the CPC rose greatly. Having barely survived the KMT's crackdown, Mao knew that the CPC had no chance to resume offensive operations, but instead must fight for its very survival. The location of Yan'an in northern Shaanxi gave the CPC an excellent defensive position, which combined with popular local support could allow the CPC time to recover from its near-death experience. After all, there are many instances in Chinese history of generals retreating to this very area only to later gain control of China itself.

Machine gunners resting
ch141.jpg

The first step in resuming the revolution was to transform the People's Liberation Army from a defensive focus to an offensive one. The transformation would take time, however, as the CPC was cut off from the Soviet Union and could expect little to no assistance from the Communist International. As Yan'an's heavy industry and local resources were minimal, it would take years to construct the necessary field artillery pieces required to go on the offensive, as the bulk of the PLA was composed of troops equipped with rifles and old machine guns, with very little heavy weapons to spare.

Turning defensive "garrison" troops into offensive infantry will take time, both in terms of equipment and training
firststeps.jpg

1936 was a mostly quiet year, as the PLA was too dug into the mountains of Shaanxi for the National Revolutionary Army to even attempt to dislodge them. Not a single major battle occurred between the CPC and KMT for quite some time. The most noteworthy event during the first half of 1936 was the death of KMT co-founder, governor of Guangdong, and fierce critic of Chiang Kai-shek Hu Hanmin passed away after suffering from a stroke. His death sparked an internal crisis in the KMT, which was divided into two major factions. Wang Jingwei's left-leaning faction, based in the south, wished to end the war against the CPC and focus on regaining land lost to Japan. Chiang Kai-shek's right-leaning faction vowed to remove all "destabilizing" elements in China before confronting Japan. Hu Hanmin's successor would tip the balance of power between the two factions, and thus both sides vied to place their own candidate as governor of Guangdong.

After a brutal internal struggle, the governorship of the birthplace of the Republic of China was awarded to a supporter of Chiang after Chen Jitang's and the Guangxi Clique's failure to remove Chiang from office as a result of the so-called Liangguang Incident, in which Chiang bribed Chen's officers to betray Chen.

However, the Liangguang Incident was a mere precursor to Chiang's ultimate fate. On December 12, 1936, Chiang Kai-shek was arrested by generals Zhang Xueliang and Yang Hucheng while touring the armies slated to attack Yan'an. Zhang and Yang both desired to join forces with the CPC against Japan, but Chiang refused. As a result they arrested Chiang during his visit in an attempt to force Chiang to change his mind. However, before Mao and the other CPC leaders were informed of the circumstances, a botched rescue attempt resulted in Chiang's death. However, the peace Yang and Zhang wished for was not to come; the KMT continued to surround and harass PLA positions in Shaanxi.

A photo of Chiang (center front row) and other KMT party members shortly after their arrest. Few would survive the rescue attempt.
800pxxianincident.jpg

As 1937 came, the PLA was still rearming and retraining. The communist leadership felt that preparations for an offensive would likely not be ready until 1938 at the earliest, and more troops would need to be trained in addition to the Long March survivors. However, on March 5, 1937, an event occurred that would prompt Mao to act; the Uighur Uprising. Xinjiang, China's western frontier, was home to a mix of indigenous Turkic Muslim Uighur and Han settlers, and was often the site of secessionist movements. Xinjiang's current governor Sheng Shicai, who was both a member of the KMT and the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, had regularly abused his Uighur soldiers, resulting in them rebelling against his authority. Sensing an opportunity to expand their influence, the Ma Clique took up arms against Sheng and invaded Xinjiang with the pretext of "restoring order" to the restive province. With the withdrawal of the Ma Clique's Muslim troops from their border positions against the CPC, Mao sensed that the civil war in the west was too good an opportunity to pass by. Mao gave the order to attack, starting the first open hostilities in years between the KMT and CPC.

The opportunistic Ma Clique invades Xinjiang to "restore order". Sheng's Soviet allies abandon him to his fate.
uigherrebellion.jpg

Last edited:
I had a chuckle here since I just finished killing off Mao in my own XSM game, but now he comes for vengeance. I assume Chiang's death was the result of an HPP event? If so, what are the in-game effects?

In the HPP the Chinese Civil war is still going on, and the Xi'an Incident events ends it. Well, it would end it, but the nationalist AI decided to instead let Chiang die and keep fighting me. The effects to the RoC are that Chiang is removed as a general and minister, and is replaced by someone else (forgot who).

fascinating stuff. Chiang dead? who will unite the Chinese now against the Japanese? My guess would be Mao?

In the HPP the Chinese Civil war is still going on, and the Xi'an Incident events ends it. Well, it would end it, but the nationalist AI decided to instead let Chiang die and keep fighting me.

Does that mean that the Japanese are at war with Shanxi and nobody else?

fascinating stuff. Chiang dead? who will unite the Chinese now against the Japanese? My guess would be Mao?

If Japan attacks then not only will all the Chinese states be involved, but I'll still be at war with the Republic.

Does that mean that the Japanese are at war with Shanxi and nobody else?

Japan isn't at war with anyone at the moment.

So you are looking to exploit the war in the west to knock out Xibei San Ma? I assume though that the KMT will throw a lot of troops at you in the process. Do you have enough infantry as opposed to garrisons/militia to take and hold all that territory?

But of course :) You'll find out next chapter if things go well or not. At the time Xibei San Ma declared war on Xinjiang I was still in the middle of turning garrisons into infantry and had maybe 2 or 3 garrison divisions left to convert. In hindsight, I should've just build more infantry and militia, but I hadn't planned on the RoC abandoning Chiang and continuing the war. That said, my troops are far better than the KMT soldiers and my officer ratio is maxed out while their ratio is probably around 80% or so at best.

The recent holidays ate up most of my free time lately and starting to get the HPP compatible with the final CMP took up the rest. I'll post an update tomorrow.

Chapter 2: Failed Spring Offensive of 1937

Immediately after the Ma Clique began blatant aggression against Sheng Shicai, Mao ordered the PLA to move west toward the Yellow River's northern turn. While highly experienced, the PLA was too small to quickly exploit the gaps in coverage the Ma's Muslim troops made when they turned west to Xinjiang. The PLA wouldn't reach the northern bend until May 20, 1937.

The PLA expands its defensive positions westward.
westwardho.jpg

Almost immediately the situation came to a stalemate. The PLA was too few in number to mount another offensive operation, and had to wait for the next round of garrison troops to finish retraining before more forces could be directed west from their defensive positions in the north-east and south. By July 11, the troops available had finally reached their positions and thus began the July Offensive. The goal of the offensive was to cross the Yellow River into the Gobi Desert to the north, cutting off NRA soldiers from their supply lines. Once the pocket was formed and eliminated, the PLA troops in the north-west were to be relocated to the south-west to cut off the only direct route into Gansu from southern Shaanxi. The second phase of the offensive was to cut off the RoC's supply route into Ma territory, forcing the Ma's to supply the troops on their soil using their vastly inferior industrial base. The long-term goal of the offensive was the destruction of the Ma Clique. The Sichuan Clique's (modeled as Yunnan-owned Sichuan) neutrality in the conflict was a key point in the planning, and was critical to the second planned stage of the operation.

Mao's overall intent of the July Offensive was to cut off NRA troops in Ninxia and shorten the front lines
july1137offensive.jpg

However, the sheer numbers the KMT were able to field proved to be decisive. Despite facing superior weapons, skill, and training, the PLA was unable to fully cross the Yellow River. Just as one KMT division retreated, two more arose to take its place. Several times the river was crossed, only for fresh NRA divisions to arrive and push the attackers back. After taking the time to regroup after each failed attack, the PLA tried 3 times to fulfill Mao's strategy. In addition, Sheng Shicai surrendered his governorship to the Ma Clique on June 9, 1937, allowing the Ma's troops to return east. The attacks were shortly suspended following news of Japanese aggression against the Soviet Union on February 19, 1938. The conflict remained as a border skirmish after a decisive Soviet victory on February 25th. With Japan preparing for war against China and the Soviet Union lacking the necessary force to seriously fight Japan, both sides agreed to stop fighting and return to the status quo.

changkufeng.jpg

With the offensive suspended after its failure, Mao ordered the PLA to hold its position and create armed militia groups for defensive purposes. The new militia would be tasked with holding the southern and north-eastern defensive positions, freeing up the regular infantry to resume the offensive in the west. By April 16, 1938, the new offensive, a resumption of the original failed July Offensive, was about to begin.

status1f.jpg

*Author's note: Basically what happened was that I was never able to move troops into the province quickly enough to occupy it after I won the battle. Each time I would win the battle, the RoC would move fresh troops there before I could take it. Eventually they wore me down and I had to stop and wait until the garrisons finished retraining into infantry. In hindsight, I should've just built more units instead of converting the garrisons.

Last edited:
469 manpower :eek:, one of the few countries in the world that have the manpower but cant spend it xD

I assume that observation doesn't come from HPP experience ;) Spending manpower is usually not the problem. Not running out once serious fighting starts, now that's a lot harder.

...The second phase of the offensive was to cut off the RoC's supply route into Ma territory, forcing the Ma's to supply the troops on their soil using their vastly inferior industrial base. The long-term goal of the offensive was the destruction of the Ma Clique. The Sichuan Clique's (modeled as Yunnan-owned Sichuan) neutrality in the conflict was a key point in the planning, and was critical to the second planned stage of the operation.

From the little piece of the map you are showing here, it already looks like the RoC has northern territory that doesn't connect up to the areas to the south. If you took Ma Clique lands, wouldn't supply just re-route through Shaanxi turf then?

From the little piece of the map you are showing here, it already looks like the RoC has northern territory that doesn't connect up to the areas to the south. If you took Ma Clique lands, wouldn't supply just re-route through Shaanxi turf then?

No, because there's a 1-infra "wall" along the eastern edge of Ma territory that supplies or units can't go through. You can see that in the supply map I posted. The wall was added to herd Japan's units south instead of west, which it likes to do.

I don't understand the retraining of the Gars, shouldn't you just build more units, especially inf?

Should have, yes. The retraining was a long-term decision to boost my defenses against Japan, but turned out to be a poor choice now that Japan hasn't attacked China yet and I'm stuck fighting the KMT. If I had the time granted by the Xi'an Incident then the retraining would've been the better choice, since you could rely on the RoC to keep Japan away while you could field your high-experience troops on the offensive, something you couldn't do if they remained garrisons.

469 manpower :eek:, one of the few countries in the world that have the manpower but cant spend it xD

I assume that observation doesn't come from HPP experience ;) Spending manpower is usually not the problem. Not running out once serious fighting starts, now that's a lot harder.

As Slan says, running out of MP is the problem in the HPP. Combat is MUCH bloodier than vanilla. You'll easily lose 800 MP against France as Germany in 3 months even if you plan everything perfectly, because we increased strength damage. I didn't write it down in the entries, but for as far as I got in the screenshot, I lost 100 MP to get there. The high MP amount is there because I need it to be there, not because I haven't built enough units yet.

This is not going too well. Still, it's not very surprising, as life is tough for ComChi, especially in the early years.

Very true, and the RoC ditching Chiang and Japan not attacking were not things I had planned on happening, but they make the game much more interesting.

Interesting update.

I will be following this!

Thanks. Updates were slow due to the holidays, but will speed up soon.

OK, so you will no doubt have more forces available for the new offensive but you will lose the advantage of the Ma Clique being distracted by the war with Xinjiang. Nevertheless this still looks like the only realistic operation in the present circumstances. Japan not attacking makes everything very uncertain, doesn't it?

OK, so you will no doubt have more forces available for the new offensive but you will lose the advantage of the Ma Clique being distracted by the war with Xinjiang. Nevertheless this still looks like the only realistic operation in the present circumstances. Japan not attacking makes everything very uncertain, doesn't it?

Very true, on both points. The Ma Clique not being distracted ends up being a blessing in disguise...

Next chapter to be posted Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.