• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question: how are you going to win the civil war with your armies under auto-control if the AI can't do anything against a former ally (assuming you're going to for a unified front, that is)?
That's a very good question, and I didn't think about that bug when I wrote up the house rules. I'll make a modification to that rule, thanks for pointing it out! I haven't actually started the game yet aside from my normal "Day 1 changes", since I don't have any freetime and won't have any for a few weeks due to work. I can still make posts while at work, just won't play the actual game.

A note about this. When the PRC joins the Unified Front it won't actually enter into an Alliance with the RoC, only enter the conflict with Japan (technically being DoWed by them) and sign a NAP with the RoC. So if I'm not mistaken you don't need to worry about that bug.

I Micromanage down to Brigade level if necessary, and I never use the AI because it screws everything up.

If you start on manual control and then turn it over to the AI, then certainly. But if you let it prepare on its own, it is not that bad :)

Chapter 0: Introduction to modern Chinese History

*Author's note: As far as I know, everything in this chapter corresponds to IRL history. If you're interested, feel free read the provided supplementary links to learn about what happened immediately prior to the AAR's start date. I'm writing this because I'll be referring to some of the events here later.

While the major focus of this work will be the time period after January 1, 1936, the situation at that date was determined by a series of events that occurred beforehand. To understand the Communist Party of China and why the Chinese People supported it, one must be aware of the culture of the Qing Empire. The Qing Empire was comprised of a ruling ethnic Manchu class dominating a majority ethnic Han population. As a direct result of the Qing rulers' corruption and inefficient government, many Han peasants and workers lived in a feudal-style culture centuries after most civilized nations had abandoned such cultural systems. As a result of contact with European peoples and becoming aware of their own situation, the Han people in the late 1800's rose up against both domestic and foreign domination in a series of revolutions, such as the Boxer Rebellion.

The beginning of the end of Imperial China (a concept that had existed for at least 3,712 years) was the Wuchang Uprising. What at first began as a railroad workers' strike eventually culminated in the destruction of the Qing Empire and creation of the Republic of China by Sun Yatsen, the Father of Modern China. Shortly after its creation, the RoC dissolved into competing warlord states, all centered around each of China's provinces due to the Qing practice of allowing provincial governors to raise and control local armies. During this time period, each state competed with each other to gain control of the city of Beijing, the control of which resulted in international recognition and access to foreign loans. In order to bring an end to the Warlord Era, Sun Yatsen's Kuomintang (Chinese Nationalist Party) joined forces with the Communist Party of China, forming the First United Front in 1926, which created the National Revolutionary Army (NRA). Sun Yatsen's main reason to ally with the CPC was to gain material aid from the Soviet Union, who was opposed to the Beiyang government based in Bejing.

However, the NRA quickly split into KMT and CPC factions. The KMT needed to utilize the popular support of the CPC to increase the size of the NRA in order to quickly unify the country as well as gain support from the USSR, while the CPC used its newfound status to spread Marxist ideas amongst the general population not only by educating KMT soldiers of the benefits of Communism over Nationalism, but by using the NRA's mobility to spread Communist ideals to a wide array of peasant workers. The final split came as a result of Chiang Kai-shek's appointment as the leader of the First Northern Expedition. While Chiang questioned Sun Yatsen's alliance with the CPC, at first he couldn't afford to alienate the USSR, which supplied Sun Yatsen's KMT party with large amounts of aid due to its alliance with the CPC. All of that changed after Sun Yat-sen's death in 1925, shortly after the First Northern Expedition began.

NRA troops marching through foreign concessions in Hankou, now part of Wuhan
countermandconcession.jpg

The "Unification of China" after the First Northern Expedition wasn't a true unification of the country. Sheng Shicai, governor of Xinjiang, while being the KMT's appointed governor of the province, ruled his territory as though he were an independent nation, and was a full-fledged member of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union. The Yunnan Clique led by Long Yun, Sichuan Clique led by Liu Xiang, Guangxi Clique led by Bai Chongxi, the Guandong Clique led by Hu Hanmin (a founder of the KMT and allied to Wang Jingwei), the Shanxi Clique led by KMT member Yan Xishan, and the Ma Clique led by the KMT members Ma Bufang, Ma Hongkui, and Ma Hongbin, who controlled the provinces of Qinghai, Gansu and Ningxia, respectively, were led by individuals who supported and followed orders from Chiang Kai-shek's Nanjing-based government only on paper. In effect, the provinces of Xinjiang, Qinghai, Gansu, Ningxia, Shanxi, Yunnan, Sichuan, Eastern Xikang, Guangxi, and Guangdong were autonomous regions of the RoC. Tibet, Mongolia, and Tannu Uriankhai (Tannu Tuva) had broken away from the Qing Empire earlier and had either achieved international recognition (Mongolia, Tannu Tuva) or were operating as truly autonomous provinces of the RoC (Tibet, which never received international recognition as an independent state, but wasn't subject to the central government). In addition, the provinces of Suiyuan, Chahar, and Hebei were under the influence of Japan. After the Mukden Incident, which saw the loss of Manchuria to Japan in the form of Manchukuo and creation of the East Hebei Autonomous Region as a result of the Tenggu Truce, the RoC lost all Chinese territories east of Beiping.

The previously obscure Chiang, who was currently the leader of the NRA, harbored many right-leaning tendencies, and was in direct opposition to KMT co-founder Wang Jingwei. After the Zhongshan Warship Incident, Chiang became the leader of the KMT party and created an ideological split in the party between his right-wing followers and Wang Jingwei's left-wing supporters, as well as increased tensions between the KMT and CPC. Due to the "success" of the First United Front, Chiang Kai-shek gained enormous influence within the KMT and began to unilaterally persecute Chinese communists in 1927, since they and Wang Jingwei's KMT faction (the CPC and Jingwei's faction received mutual support from each other until this point) represented a direct threat to his leadership.

Chiang's KMT troops rounding up CPC members in Shanghai for execution
communistpurge.jpg

The resulting bloodshed was a complete massacre, and the CPC lost its ability to operate as anything more than a fringe party. As a result of the anti-communist purges, the CPC survivors conducted what is now known as the Long March; the term for the collective regrouping of communist survivors across China to the city of Yan'an in northern Shaanxi province.

A rare color photo of Chairman Mao during the Long March
longmarch.jpg

The most important result of the Long March is Mao Zedong's rise to power, as his supporter group arrived in Yan'an mostly intact, and comprised the majority of the CPC's surviving members, making Mao the leading figure of the Communist Party of China. This also marked an important split between Mao's strategy of People's War, which encouraged fomenting revolution through the farmers, and the former CPC chairman and co-founder of the CPC Chen Duxiu's strategy of fomenting revolution through the urban factory workers. After the conclusion of the Long March, Chen Duxiu was expelled from the party he founded, and Mao Zedong became the chairman of the CPC.

A CPC leader addresses the survivors of the Long March in Yan'an
longmarch.jpg

-------------------------------------------

There are several acronyms I will use throughout the AAR, so here's a quick reference:
CPC - Chinese Communist Party
PLA - People's Liberation Army (army of the CPC)
KMT - Kuomintang
NRA - National Revolutionary Army (army of the KMT)

Also, certain Pinyin letters are pronounced differently than most languages that use the Latin alphabet would pronounce them. Here's a very simplified quick guide on how to pronounce some of the letters that are pronounced differently. This quick guide doesn't do the language justice, as there are many subtleties in the difference between pronouncing Ch, Zh, and Q, but I'm not going to go into such detail into the language here in an AAR.

G - "k" when at the front of a syllable, "g" if at the end
Q - "ch"
Zh - "tch"
Z - "ts", just like a German Z
C - "s"
X - "sh"
D - "t"
B - "p"

So, Guangxi is pronounced something closer to "kwong-she" than whatever you'd initially think it would sound like.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I've never been too well informed on post-colonial Chinese history, and now I'm really desperate for a gameplay update.

Very interesting, I've never been too well informed on post-colonial Chinese history, and now I'm really desperate for a gameplay update.

You should do some research about it, the years leading up to and during the civil war is some awesome history :)

Never had the pleasure to do a PRC game and gone through it yet myself (I seriously hate bad infra :p). But Ill stick around and see where this goes :D

I once did a quite successful comchi campaign on HOI2 vanilla by refusing peace with the nationalists and taking out Xibei San Ma first. took half of China while the Japs took the other half more or less. it ended with Japan deciding they wanted it all for themselves.

Hope you guys don't mind the mini history lesson. I'll be referring to various events that happened prior to the start date, and wanted to at least have a primer or something that briefly explains what was going on. If you're interested in learning more about the time period I can offer some links for further reading.

First gameplay update will come this weekend, possibly on Friday. The #1 problem with the PRC in the mod is that we turned all of the militia into garrisons in order to help the AI on the defense and prevent it from overextending itself. The flip side of that is my offensive capabilities are non-existent.

...The flip side of that is my offensive capabilities are non-existent.

Heh an immediate joke springs to mind, but I'll withhold it to avoid being misinterpreted.

What are the odds that the color photo of Mao was staged for posterity? It seems odd that somebody would just happen to have a color camera out there, and despite the guy in the front with the sling, the group doesn't exactly come across as one suffering a desperate hardship.

Hope you guys don't mind the mini history lesson. I'll be referring to various events that happened prior to the start date, and wanted to at least have a primer or something that briefly explains what was going on. If you're interested in learning more about the time period I can offer some links for further reading.

First gameplay update will come this weekend, possibly on Friday. The #1 problem with the PRC in the mod is that we turned all of the militia into garrisons in order to help the AI on the defense and prevent it from overextending itself. The flip side of that is my offensive capabilities are non-existent.

Liked the mini history lesson, keep it up and looking forward to future updates. Good luck

...It seems odd that somebody would just happen to have a color camera out there, and despite the guy in the front with the sling, the group doesn't exactly come across as one suffering a desperate hardship.

B&W pictures can be coloured afterwards, does that count as staging? :)

What are the odds that the color photo of Mao was staged for posterity? It seems odd that somebody would just happen to have a color camera out there, and despite the guy in the front with the sling, the group doesn't exactly come across as one suffering a desperate hardship.

I think it was colored later, because I've seen a B&W of the same photo. I picked the colored one for propaganda purposes :)

Au contraire my good sir, personally I love it and Ill be looking forward to the links ^^

Thanks. I reread the entry and rewrote parts of it so it's more accurate, since it turns out I left out a few important tidbits.

I will follow this. It will be interesting to see what you can do with the Communists in HPP. They are usually toothless in HOI games, since this theatre is quite neglected and HOI3 suxx at representing guerilla warfare.

Just to let you know, I have enough pictures for several updates. I had originally planned on stopping when the Xi'an Incident fired, but for some reason it never did. Japan also didn't attack, so this game just got a whole lot more interesting than I had planned. I should have the first gameplay update done tomorrow.

looking forward to it

Japan not attacking? ow! that will change world history. can't wait to find out just how.

Another mini-update. I'm currently trying to find some B&W pictures, which are harder to find for the CPC than they are for the KMT. I'd also like to explain a bit what happened so far concerning the game. It turns out that the RoC decided to let Chiang die during the Xi'an Incident, but I had my messages turned off and didn't see it. That explains why I never saw the event fire. Also, Japan won't attack unless it feels that it's in a strong position to do so. Since the RoC is still at war with me since it let Chiang die, and is gaining the benefits of the "better" laws as a result, it is much stronger than it normally would be and Japan is continuing to build up and prepare. This actually makes the game much, much more interesting, as I have a longer period of time to strengthen up, and there's always that tension in the background about when Japan will strike.

that is what I love the most about HPP: you have to think on your feet all the time. can't wait for the first full update!

Status
Not open for further replies.