• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really??? Can you give me any evidence regarding that, one with which creditors were still charging that debt? I find this too bad to be true, but if it is, it shows an unbelievable level of greed! A country should never have a debt for 90 years! Why would the german government even be interested in servicing that debt?

Britain only finished paying off it's WW2 debts to USA abut 5 years ago

Really??? Can you give me any evidence regarding that, one with which creditors were still charging that debt? I find this too bad to be true, but if it is, it shows an unbelievable level of greed! A country should never have a debt for 90 years! Why would the german government even be interested in servicing that debt?
Because in ~70 years there was quite a lot of inflation, they only paid a portion of it anyway.

Although i guees the next step would be to actually sign the peace treaty of WW2. Yes, formally it is still an armnistire :)

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/germany-finally-pays-off-wwi-debt-20100930-15ydu.html
First result of googling "germany wwi debt" ;)

Damn it Darkrenown, we already knew you are pretty smart, you didn't have to strongly suggest that I am the opposite. :p

The debts have been resold so many times that nobody really knows whom exactly Germany now owes.

I am completely shocked that politicians are willing to quietly spend millions repaying obsolete debt. I find it completely immoral, and things like these ensure that war continues to be profitable for the wealthy few. With governments like these, one has to wonder if the Anarcho-Liberals are any evil after all...

Britain only finished paying off it's WW2 debts to USA abut 5 years ago

Governments always have debts. They repay the most expensive ones first. If a government manages to borrow at low rates of interest for an indefinite period, it will just keep paying the interest and never repay the principal. I think some British bonds lasted the best part of 200 years because they didn't have a set maturity.

I am completely shocked that politicians are willing to quietly spend millions repaying obsolete debt. I find it completely immoral, and things like these ensure that war continues to be profitable for the wealthy few. With governments like these, one has to wonder if the Anarcho-Liberals are any evil after all...

It's a matter of maintaining a high credit rating, just like for individuals. Your bank isn't going to forgive your mortgage just because it's been 25 years, and if you stop paying it, your credit will hurt. Since you rely on your credit for obtaining further loans elsewhere, you pay up.

~300millions of euros is not that much for Germany. While the political gain is quite substantial.