• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No one want to see Aristotle victorious in this little civil war and he doesn't seem to strong. This should be easy. With great confidence the Aiacid armies march towards the rebels. Unfortunately they may have been somewhat overconfident. Our Italian army is destroyed, mostly caused by its mediocre leadership. Another problem arises in that all the rebels that always pop up decide to join Aristotle. While of mediocre quality (being mainly militia) they are numerous and Aristotle does not delay in finding commanders. Unfortunately for us he finds some good commanders. Greece is lost to the usurper.

2eywdj6.jpg

However we have the upper hand in the east, and the initial failure in Italy does not seem to bad as it is devoid of rebel armies as a new army is gathered in Megale Hellas. However the troubles cause Commagene to take the oppurtunity to become independent.

2irp8d3.jpg

In the end of the second year of civil war Eunice dies and is succeeded by her son Tisiphon

2zfrfop.jpg

30af2go.jpg

While the rebels remain strong in Greece, in the rest of the Empire I have the upper hand, with some problems in Italy as enemy troops have arrived there and there. Lycia decide to follow Commagenes example and go independent as well.

2m31zc5.jpg

And then the civil war in Carthage ends. Sad, would have wanted that one to continue until the end of the game. Well I send my main armies in Anatolia in an invasion of Greece. 49,000 men led by two great generals, late Queen Eunice's uncle Helenus and his grandson Machares.

23gyec2.jpg

In about a year Ambracia has been liberated from the clutches of the evil rebels. And the next year Cappadocia does what Commagene and Lycia have already done and goes independent.

71lquh.jpg

The year after that Greece has been liberated however the rebels are in control of Greece and are ravaging Asia Minor. Aristotle dies and is succeeded as rebel leader by his very young son with the same name. The rebels manage to take Asia Minor and briefly takes Egypt as well but eventually, ten years after the civil war began it ends with our victory.

34oydqw.jpg

Two traitorous generals are executed and to prevent another civil war all our generals (and many governors) receive massive rewards for their loyal service (bribes). In fact we run out of money and we still have a potentially disloyal general. And before I show the map I will note that of the three countries to appear we only have cores on Lycia and Cappadocia.

2jdmh4i.jpg

So the next update should be the last one hopefully and if so what should be done (note that as we have spent our cash reserves going to war is probably not a good idea as we may not improve stability at this time).

note that as we have spent our cash reserves going to war is probably not a good idea as we may not improve stability at this time.

That civil war proved much harder than expected.

What else is there to do so close to the end of the game? It hardly makes any sence to strenghten the empire for future wars or to improve the economy.

If you consider war anyway priority should be on regaining the provinces lost in the civil war. At least the cores.

At least get your cores back then. Don't know what else you can do. I'm happy you managed to play until the end.

The final update. Our goals are first of all to reconquer Lycia & Cappadocia. And if possible beat up the Seleucids some more. A look on Cappadocia and Lycia first. Cappadocia is at war against Commagene and have the upper hand, although Samosata does not look like it will fall just yet. The Lycian army is 6,000 men so of no concern. The Cappadocians on the other hand have gathered 26,000 to their siege in Commagene and an additional 1,000 is on their way.

11iq2au.jpg

I may like both Lycia and Cappadocia but that will not save them. Cappadocia is the first target, not only since they are trying to expand (although letting them do that and taking them out in two wars might have been a good idea but did not think of it at the time) but since they have a fairly rich province while Lycia is fairly unimpressive comparatively.

28rjqtl.jpg

The war does not last long, our armies quickly assault Mazaca and captures it. Cappadocian independence is at an end. Although the war proved that many governors are a bit unreliable. But as our economy is up and running I expect to be able to deal with it. War is declared on Lycia and we put their cities under siege. Notices a few months later that we have a temporary CB on the Seleucids. Not sure of why but there is no reason not to use it. While still at war with Lycia (who have no army left and their only province under siege) we go to war with the Seleucids, Corduene, Parthia, Egypt and Atropatene. Corduenes massive army is crushed near Antioch. Lycia falls. Egypt is reduced to one province.

10ftjtd.jpg

The main Seleucid army is crushed near Trapezus. We form an alliance with Commagene while Corduene is forced to pay tribute. After heavy fighting against the Parthians in northern Mesopotamia and Syria we get the Seleucids to cede Edessa.

efgr42.jpg

We wait until our truce with Egypt ends and when it does massive armies march to Alexandria, assaults the city, takes it and promptly end Egyptian independence.

35lbwhg.jpg

Later there is some unsettling events. What could it mean?

24fwcbq.jpg

Possibly nothing other then the impending death of Tisiphon. He dies of old age a few months later and is succeeded by his son Philocrates.

15qzups.jpg

35j9kl1.jpg

It can be noted though that Philocrates brothers (named Philocrates (yes the same name), Antigonos and Seleukos) all want to rule themselves, though they make no open moves before the game ends. During Philocrates reign Commagene begins paying tribute after the Seleucids have conquered Armenia.

35hea90.jpg

Some stats:
Income: ~68/month
Population: 3752.5 (that is a lot of people)
Army: 247/646
Navy: 89/646
Manpower maximum: 437K

Our rivals: none although Seleucids consider us to be their rival
Our allies: Arverni, Vindelici, Commagene
Get Tribute from: Vindelici, Commagene, Nabataea and Corduene (though the Nabateans also pay tribute to the Seleucids)

And here is the final map:
2rdc115.jpg

Excellent job Lofman! Another AAR completed. You've got quite a collection. Now more frequent updates for your Gaulic AAR?

Well done, thanks for this AAR!

Magnificent AAR.

I started playing Rome very recently and followed a recommendation link here to read this with great pleasure. The council approach is very engaging. Could be even more interesting with a Republic and the need to couch recommendations in factional terms (just finished reading the Republics and other FAQs, which sort things out nicely).

Thanks