• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

darthfanta

Basileus Basileōn
67 Badges
Apr 22, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
I get the feeling that they are way too weak in game. They always get bulldozed by the ERE even though historically, they almost pushed the ERE out of Europe and that it took several centuries for the ERE to destroy them.

Its an unfortunate consequence of them being Feudal I think. Ck2 is a numbers game for the most part and tribals are the only ones who can swing above they pay grade.

Yes. Historically they were a thorn in the back of the Byzantines for several centuries. In the new startdate all it takes is a couple of holy wars from the Byzantines and they are done for, disappearing from history.

I get the feeling that they are way too weak in game. They always get bulldozed by the ERE even though historically, they almost pushed the ERE out of Europe and that it took several centuries for the ERE to destroy them.
I did a similar thread shortly after the CM release and yes, they're definitively too weak, especially in the new scenario where Bulgaria starts with a few vassals hating the Khan's guts and every single one of them more powerful than him. This leads to Bulgaria being annihilated within decades because of constant civil war and Byzantium holy-warring them into oblivion.
Buglaria only exists to feed Byzantium more land and nothing else. -.-

Opposite. ERE is ludicrously strong. Greece has too many counties and therefore too many troops. The lack of a need to hold forces back in case of muslim raids (or anything on any other front) is by the by.

Opposite. ERE is ludicrously strong. Greece has too many counties and therefore too many troops. The lack of a need to hold forces back in case of muslim raids (or anything on any other front) is by the by.
On the other hand,AI ERE is too weak to resist the Abbasid blob.

ERE should be super strong, they should just be terribly corrupt and poorly run :p

First game I played (zunist) Krum invaded Greece then invaded Anatolia. Owned all of Avaria too.
Do you play a different game than me?

How often does Krum inherit in your games? If some less gifted prince becomes Khan, that might be it?
Bulgaria often doesn't survive long enough for Krum to inherit anything.

Yeah the Bulgarians are one of the things that really disappointed me (the other being insane decadence making Muslims way powerful). A quick flick through any book on the Byzantines of this era will show that they suffered some horrific defeats at the hands of the Bulgarians. In game though they just get bulldozed like you say. They stand no chance at all.

How often does Krum inherit in your games? If some less gifted prince becomes Khan, that might be it?

I had one game (of three I have so far played with CM) where Krum not only inherited, but also did something that Keinwyn reported, i.e. conquered Avaria. The double Bulgaria-Pannonia then resisted the single attempt of the ERE to conquer Karvuna - though was crucially helped by a civil war among the Romans. Krum's heirs split the realm, and the Pannonian part was taken back by Avars (though curiously it didn't go back to being called Avaria). So it seems it can happen, but I would definitely like to see Bulgarians strengthened a bit. Though not so much as to see them stomp Avars to the ground every time.

I had one game (of three I have so far played with CM) where Krum not only inherited, but also did something that Keinwyn reported, i.e. conquered Avaria. The double Bulgaria-Pannonia then resisted the single attempt of the ERE to conquer Karvuna - though was crucially helped by a civil war among the Romans. Krum's heirs split the realm, and the Pannonian part was taken back by Avars (though curiously it didn't go back to being called Avaria). So it seems it can happen, but I would definitely like to see Bulgarians strengthened a bit. Though not so much as to see them stomp Avars to the ground every time.

It happened in one of my three campaigns I've played as well. I was actually surprised because the other two, Bulgaria was chum-feed (shark-bait) for its neighbors. The ratio should perhaps be the opposite, if my experience is the norm.

Seeing as the Bulgars very much migrated there, perhaps they should start with some event troops? At least enough to keep the Byzantines from instantly declaring war.