• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blue emu

GroFAZ
8 Badges
Mar 13, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
The long-awaited rewrite of Aurora 4X from VB6 to C# has finally been released!

It seems to run MUCH faster in C# (about five times faster than VB6?) and there have been many, many changes to game-play... including the expansion of ship's crews from one named character (the Captain) to several (Captain, Executive Officer, Science Officer, Chief Engineer, Tactical Officer, Air Group Commander, etc). Each of these positions can only be filled if the required module has been incorporated into the ship's design (eg: the ship must have a Combat Information Center in order for a Tactical Officer to be appointed).

Is there any interest in a C# Aurora game?

Who should run it?

I am interested in participating - But I shall not run the first versions as I don't have time to dedicate to the full writing.

I will though participate in banter and having character in the game

What would people like to see?

A conventional start (1948) with no tech and real-world population (2.5 billion), or a Trans-Newtonian start (2025) with starting tech points and a population of half a billion?

Or some other starting conditions? Non-human? Play as The Bugs?

I'm good with anything… :) - Have an idea for a playthrough of my own, which I'll hope to do at some point in the future, but unsure if I'll do it here, on Aurora forums or "just" on my own.

Wait, you can play as the Hivemind?
You can certainly play as non-human... and you can set parameters such as base science rate, base population growth, base life support requirements, etc.

I'm good with anything… :) - Have an idea for a playthrough of my own, which I'll hope to do at some point in the future, but unsure if I'll do it here, on Aurora forums or "just" on my own.
Why not do both options 1 and 2?

Why not do both options 1 and 2?

I might still do it. Depends on whether I can dedicate enough time for it.

Without making a new thread... 2.0 just dropped. Many, many changes, not least being elliptical orbits and raiders/pirates.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Yeah, I've been checking it over and it looks awesome.

I don't have a very good record recently for finishing Forum games... been experiencing a few health issues. Does anyone think it's worth a try starting a new Aurora campaign under the new 2.1.0 rules?

Yeah, I've been checking it over and it looks awesome.

I don't have a very good record recently for finishing Forum games... been experiencing a few health issues. Does anyone think it's worth a try starting a new Aurora campaign under the new 2.1.0 rules?
I would be up for it; however, I believe there are a few bad bugs. But can't remember what they were.

Well.. it seems to load properly.

Elliptical orbits FTW!

elliptical.jpg

"Each eccentric orbit is inclined independently. In other words, the ‘stretch’ in orbit for different stars or planets in the same system may extend in different directions. Bodies moving in eccentric orbits will move at different speeds, depending on their location, with the fastest speed at perihelion and the slowest speed at aphelion. Overall, they will still match the year for a circular orbit based on their semi-major axis.

Because planets will be changing their distance from the star, their surface temperature will change over time, which also may impact other environmental factors such as hydrosphere type and atmospheric content. As a result, each planet is effectively being terraformed as it moves. Colony cost will potentially become a range, rather than a fixed number. In practice, minimal eccentricity orbits will not have a major impact on colony cost and even when temperature changes it may not affect overall colony cost due to the greater influence of other factors. Even so, when choosing colony sites, the max colony cost should be considered in addition to the current colony cost."

... so you can have worlds whose oceans freeze over during part of the year (automatically adding the "no water available" penalty), or whose atmosphere changes due to gasses liquifying or freezing out. Not to mention the obvious temperature changes as the planet approaches or recedes from the sun. Cool.

Reactions:
Yeah, it seems to run just fine.

I've played about five years of my new game (v2.1.0) and encountered no problems. I've been taking screen-shots, so I could post it as an AAR or Forum Game if the interest is there.

Looks like a good extra helping of Fun(tm).
One of the best new features is the complete revamp of the Financial reporting system. Not only can you now see at a glance whether you are making or losing money (and how much per day), but you can also identify trends easily.

RFTS_008.jpg

The financial aspect of the game used to be one of the most opaque and non-intuitive features.

Anything else of note? Has making armies and upgrading them better? My favorite part is setting up and build armies. I spend hours on it. :D

These are always a good fun read. Interactive or otherwise.

Anything else of note? Has making armies and upgrading them better? My favorite part is setting up and build armies. I spend hours on it. :D
Not sure if making armies has become easier, or if I'm just getting better at it. I've settled on 5,000 tons as the proper size for a battalion.

A new type of colony has been added... Deep Space Populations, which work just like a planetary population but with no planet. They can be constructed from Ark modules (similar to Orbital Habitats, but can be towed into place while full of people and do not require a planet or moon to orbit).

Another new type of NPR has been added... Aether Raiders. That's in addition to the opponent NPR, randomly generated NPRs, the Precursors, the Swarm, the Invaders and the Rakshas.

So this is at least five of us who seem to be interested. Perhaps I'll start a new game.

I've got a home game going... a conventional start (in 1960) that is now in its sixth year and is just beginning to explore our own Solar System. I've been taking screen shots... should I just post that game and continue it as a Forum Game, or start a fresh one?

So this is at least five of us who seem to be interested. Perhaps I'll start a new game.

I've got a home game going... a conventional start (in 1960) that is now in its sixth year and is just beginning to explore our own Solar System. I've been taking screen shots... should I just post that game and continue it as a Forum Game, or start a fresh one?
1960 one works.