Interest and development thread for a new Kingdom game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New lore for Aubeville up, see what you think.

Yes, it's a less impressive Minas Tirith.

New lore for Aubeville up, see what you think.

Yes, it's a less impressive Minas Tirith.

It works well. I'd kind of like the ruler to be a Lord Mayor rather than a hereditary prince. Then again, real life Novgorod was ruled by a Prince. I'll think on that.

As far as what we need to start the game proper, it seems to me that we're down to a few tasks:

1. Populate the lordships with holdings. Each Great Lordship (Dawnlands, Summervale, Midlands, Fenlands, Uppland, Norwald, Drachenstein) should start with four in their own demense. The Crown lands should have three plus the capitol (The royal castle in the city can count as one). Vassals should have two to three. The total level of all holdings under a lord should be equal to his peers, if you follow me.

2. Distribute armies.

3. Flesh out family trees, especially for the Great Lords. Suggestions welcome, but remember there was a recent plague, so I expect to see a lot of widows and widowers! That will also leave players more options for dynastic marriages.
3a. Figure out a fair way to do things like natural deaths and births.

I need to find a good dice-roll system (suggestions welcome from those who've played RPGs over the net) and then sort out the combat system.

Map update for all!

(Sorry Doom, but I couldn't add all the sites, it's getting a bit crowded in there)

This time I haven't cut the map edges, so the file is bigger. So you can see the surroundings I've been working with for Neumark; particularly the relative closeness I gave to Gallus (thinking like the real Channel). Since I can't remember if there is an official name for the northern savages I just put 'Wilderlings'.

Whithout further adding holdings, the following are missing according to my count:

-VESTASKLAND: All: the house, it's holdings, ect.. I've marked 3 locations on the map already
-DAWNLANDS: All: the house, it's holdings, ect..
-SUMMERVALE: The house and the holdings (placed on the map but not determined, except Turford that's a castle over the Crownway
-CROWNLANDS: The sites besides Aubeville

Since this map is becoming too heavy, I'll work in a lighter version in black and white, with smaller names, a version I think will be more GM-friendly.

Last edited:
I can work on armies (for everyone if needed) and extended family trees for each of the provinces I've done.

I can also work on making up foreign realms if you like.

As for dice rolling - http://www.random.org/dice/

Map looks good, although the outlines I drew on my map are only a general idea, you're of course free to fix my awful drawing as you see fit.

EDIT: You missed the second H of Highlands. :p

Last edited:
As for working out natural deaths, one pretty impractical solution would be to roll for a character every turn (if turns are a year) and see if they die. Characters above 16 would have to roll a total above their age on 14 dice, making death more likely as time goes on. A 16 year old dying would be very rare, but a 65 year old would be very close to death. Not sure how to handle child deaths.

Totally having this as my theme song then. Fits my vision of the Fenlands

Oops. Forgot to give Norwald a vassal. Hehe.

I actually propose two small wilderling lords as vassals to Norwald. The little islands off the coast as House Mustapata, from the Sigil and Words thread
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-and-words&p=13724152&viewfull=1#post13724152
[/url]

Added, gave it most of the small eastern islands, a main location and a secondary one

And the area around the small lakes north of Norwald as House Kveanat of Fjellfort
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-and-words&p=13726168&viewfull=1#post13726168

Added, I gave it the land east of the lakes, so Uppland still has a border with the wilderlings

neumarkworld2.jpg

Second crack at a map of the 'known' world. Just a general outline without geographical/political features yet. Thoughts on the ideas?

Overall I like it.

I'm not too certain on attaching that mirror island to Neumark.... Even though that having an 'Ireland' would be handy, adding that swath of terrain directly opposite of what we've already and having it connected might force us to go back and change things. IMHO it would be better if it were a separate island to the NW, past the Ash islands... Since we're placing many cities (Dyflin, Glorket, Vasterby and the Ashean Capital) linked to the western sea we need to give them someone to trade with; placing the 'Ireland' to the east goes aggainst the direction we've given to the overall flow of things.

Well, those cities already have the Iron trade from Ironland, plus the Oyster trade from Dyflin and the trade of whatever minerals they have in the Ash Islands (Likely a lot). Not to mention that if the Ireland area is anything like RL, it will have nothing worthwhile to trade in.

I'll take another look and see what alterations I can come up with.

To be perfectly frank I think that the game gets way too complex. From my experience I´d say that the less complex the game, the higher the probability to get past Turn 2.