• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Come to think of it though, it might be that affairs are a different mechanic altogether, given that they fire events that give % chances that the mistress gets pregnant.

Yeah, I looked at some of the events, and they often only check the fertility of the character getting the event, not the character getting impregnated. So, in CK2 the fertile octogenarian is not just a legal fiction (although you can be pretty sure the child is a bastard).

Opinion
For any opinion below 25, you will only be able to raise the minimum levy as described above. The higher their opinion above 25 the more they'll want to provide, with 0 at 25 and 1% at 100. As such for each point of opinion they'll want to provide 1 and one-third percent more of their levies.
Your opinion towards yourself is always counted as a multiplier of 1.
I assume you meant 100% at 100 (?) :)

I've had a woman - the liege's stepmother, during the course of a 27 year extramarital affair - get pregnant and successfully give birth at age 53. Didn't think to take a screenshot but I did tell my friends about it.

Re: 45 vs 46 birth age limit

Come to think of it though, it might be that affairs are a different mechanic altogether, given that they fire events that give % chances that the mistress gets pregnant which might themselves be a much higher potential chance than would exist given a marriage.

Yeah, I looked at some of the events, and they often only check the fertility of the character getting the event, not the character getting impregnated. So, in CK2 the fertile octogenarian is not just a legal fiction (although you can be pretty sure the child is a bastard).
Yeah. Thought I had mentioned that, but apparently forgot it. Thank you both.

I assume you meant 100% at 100 (?) :)
Yup, thanks. Corrected.

First up - fantastic thread - thanks very much.

I would really love to know more about how stats are developed:
1 - Is anything passed on genetically, or is it all random?
2 - How education effect you stats.

From what I can tell:
- 'Genetic' traits (lisk strong, or dwarf) don't seem to be passed on.
- The education type of a tutor may be passed to a tutee... but by no means always.
- Traits of a tutor somewhat effect the decisions that can be made during a tutees education. For instance, if a tutor is glutonous, and the random event occurs which makes a tutee glutonous, then the tutor does not have the option which potenitally converts this to being temporate.
- I've heard a rumour that learning effect whether one is a good tutor... but have no evidence of this.
- A tutor can only have two tutees.#

On other thing... there is another thread that gives a very detailed breakdown of the tax system... see here

- A tutor can only have two tutees.
Actually, that's not quite true. A guardian can only ask/be asked to take on a ward if he has less than 2, but there's no limit on how many wards a character has. So you can get more via event or sending out multiple requests at the same time. It's not like spouses/betrothals, where you can send out multiple requests, but only the first to reply gets honored.

I've rewritten the installment on the feudal system.

The old version, for comparison:

In Crusader Kings II, and Feudal Europe, realms have a highly hierarchical structure, almost every single noble serves someone else. As a liege, your most important job is keeping your vassals happy, as they provide most of your power.
First off, there's the economic aspect of it. Every single vassal you have has the potential to pay you tax. How much they pay you depend on three factors:
  1. How much they earn.
  2. What tax laws you've implemented.
  3. How much they like you.
Number 1 is rather obvious, the more they earn the more they're able to pay you.
Number 2, your laws, decide what percentage of their income they're supposed to pay you. Starting off this is something like 20-30% for cities and churches, and 0% for baronies.
Number 3, how much they like you, is also very important. If a vassal has an opinion of you below 0, this will reduce how much tax they pay you by as many precent as they're below 0. For example, if a duke is supposed to pay you 10% of his income, but has an opinion of -50 towards you, he'll only pay you 5% of his income, as 10% * 50% is 5%.
Thus, if you're unable to keep your vassals happy, you will have very little income beyond what you get from your own personal holdings. Do also note that bishops will only ever pay you tax if they like you more than they like the pope.
Furthermore, and about as importantly, the feudal system has a huge effect on your warpower. Generally almost all your levyable troops will be from your vassals, not your own holdings. And like taxes, how many troops they'll let you levy is once again based around three factors:
  1. The available manpower in the province.
  2. Which levy laws you've implemented.
  3. How much they like you.
These three factors work essentially the same way as it does for tax.
So what can easily end up happening is that after an inheritance, no one likes your heir and you thus lose out on most of your potential levies, and will as such be much harder put to defend your lands or put down rebellions.
As an example of this, in my current campaign when my previous, highly loved king died, my levyable manpower went from around 40 000 men to about 20 000 men due to the large drop in opinion I got, with the taxes from my vassals dropping by a similar amount.

Tl;dr: The feudal system means you have to keep as many people as possible happy if you want to survive. Without happy vassals you'll have little income, and little power.

I love your guide. How about a section on culture? I started an AAR in Spain and I'd dearly love knowing how to maximize converting those provinces over.

Thank you for the suggestion, added to the list.

On other thing... there is another thread that gives a very detailed breakdown of the tax system... see here

That thread's out of date. it was written when the wrong-holding penalty was still very low. Now it never, or almost never, makes sense economically to not appoint mayors/bishops.

Genetic traits are definitely passed on. If you're inbred, there's a chance your children will be, too. If you continue the wincest, the odds of each generation getting hit with that trait will rise. It's not like, if you have are a dwarf, all your kids automatically will be dwarfs. Most/all probably won't. But the odss are higher that there will be more dwarfs as you travel down your lineage.

Last edited:
Have a quick question about the Feudal section.

Ninth, you should try to hold all the de jure titles for the tier (E.G., duke) you're at for the area you rule. While this means you'll have to deal with the occasional 'desires x title', the -15% to rebellion and the prestige you gain from holding the title is well worth it.

Tenth, form and give out duchies. You'll get huge amounts of prestige, which will increase all noble's opinion of you by up to 20. Keeping your realm's titles within your dynasty means your dynasty's prestige will increase, and your children will start out with more prestige, meaning your heir will start out with considerably higher opinion from his vassals upon your death.

Can someone explain "ninth" a bit more. Does that mean if I'm currently a duke, I shouldn't have any other dukes under me? So basically only give out counties?

And for "tenth" -- can you form a duchy that isn't 'de jure'? Or does this mean: try to get the all of the X provinces for any de jure duchy that may have one province in your realm?

Putting this information together: If I'm a duke, I should try to be the duke of all of the duchies in my realm until I can form a kingdom, then once I've been crowned king (maybe a good example is Duke of Apulia, forming Sicily) I give away all of those duchies and just reign as king? So as a king, I don't need to be duke of anything--I should just award out all of the duchies to dynasty members?

Sorry for the elementary questions, just trying to learn!

Have a quick question about the Feudal section.

Can someone explain "ninth" a bit more. Does that mean if I'm currently a duke, I shouldn't have any other dukes under me? So basically only give out counties?

And for "tenth" -- can you form a duchy that isn't 'de jure'? Or does this mean: try to get the all of the X provinces for any de jure duchy that may have one province in your realm?

Putting this information together: If I'm a duke, I should try to be the duke of all of the duchies in my realm until I can form a kingdom, then once I've been crowned king (maybe a good example is Duke of Apulia, forming Sicily) I give away all of those duchies and just reign as king? So as a king, I don't need to be duke of anything--I should just award out all of the duchies to dynasty members?

Sorry for the elementary questions, just trying to learn!
Dukes cannot have dukes under them.

All duchies in the game have de jure territories. Form any duchies you can, it pays off in the long run.

Dukes cannot have dukes under them.

All duchies in the game have de jure territories. Form any duchies you can, it pays off in the long run.

I'm sorry for all of these dull questions, if I should post them elsewhere, or create a thread, let me know, but:

In summary, it says:

Hold all the de jure titles for the area you rule

This is such a stupid question, but what does this mean? I'm new to CK and does that just mean: Be the Duke for all of the Duchies in your area? Then when/if you're king, hold the King title of everything possible in your demesne. But don't ever be the King AND the Duke?

Example, if you're King of Castille and have Aragon under your control, then you should simultaneously hold the King of Castille and King of Aragon title, but give away the Duchy of Aragon (and all other duchies) to dynasty members?

I'm sorry for all of these dull questions, if I should post them elsewhere, or create a thread, let me know, but:

In summary, it says:

Hold all the de jure titles for the area you rule

This is such a stupid question, but what does this mean? I'm new to CK and does that just mean: Be the Duke for all of the Duchies in your area? Then when/if you're king, hold the King title of everything possible in your demesne. But don't ever be the King AND the Duke?

Example, if you're King of Castille and have Aragon under your control, then you should simultaneously hold the King of Castille and King of Aragon title, but give away the Duchy of Aragon (and all other duchies) to dynasty members?
Hold every top-level title you can. For example like you say, if you control the REGION of Aragon, you should have the CROWN of Aragon if at all possible. Yes, give away the duchy. Keep two duchies for yourself at all times, of course, and build them up.

its in the FAQ section
Ah, thanks. I see it now. Hidden.

Of course...

So you have to log in to read the FAQs or Meneth's Guide?!

And someone thinks this is desirable?!!

Why on earth would you make people jump through extra hoops?

So, we now limit access to something called a FAQ: available only to those who actively post or those log in every time they visit the forum.

Again, who on earth thinks this is a good idea?