• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aww snap. Well, there be plenty of Muslims to conquer, right?
You can never run out of heathens! :p
Oh dear. Bad news all round - the peasants are stuck with Pedro in charge, Rodrigo is stuck fighting wars with Duke Ramon, and Ramon is about to be stuck with a knife from Almodis! ;)

Excellent update! I really appreciate the effort that obviously goes into capturing the Medieval atmosphere.
Thank you! I am glad you liked it. I was wondering if I was doing Medieval Europe justice - it is nice to hear that I am.

Wow. I've been following this a while, I just had to post. Firstly, the story itself is amazingly well crafted, with rounded characters that seem to come alive. Your graphics only add to the beauty of the tale. Well done!

And last update sounds like everyone got screwed--the peasants, the Duke... except Pedro. I doubt he minds keeping the chair warm for a father who's vowed never to return...

Wonderful as always, a finely crafted atmosphere always hangs over your writing.
Thank you, sir. I am glad you think so.
Wow. I've been following this a while, I just had to post. Firstly, the story itself is amazingly well crafted, with rounded characters that seem to come alive. Your graphics only add to the beauty of the tale. Well done!

And last update sounds like everyone got screwed--the peasants, the Duke... except Pedro. I doubt he minds keeping the chair warm for a father who's vowed never to return...
Thank you! I really appreciate your comment, especially someone who has written a fantastic tale such as Rome AARisen. I have only recently started getting a hang of graphic-making, but I am glad to hear that my first attempts were good attempts.

Pedro certainly gains through all of this - but how much? Enough abuses and the Duke will have to return...

As in regards to the update - I haven't even started. I have been satisfying my sadistic, inner Byzantophile in the Grand Campaign of EU3. I will have an update ready sometime tomorrow, hopefully.

Gah, sorry about the delay everyone. College threw me a curveball - I have to deliver a quite lengthy presentation on the Black Death. I should be able to post tomorrow night, and at the absolute latest, Wednesday.

Sorry ladies and gents for the delay.

Just read it and I am extreamly impressed by your writing, hopefully El Cid will go on to become the King of Jerulsam!

Chapter Two, Part Five

Just read it and I am extreamly impressed by your writing, hopefully El Cid will go on to become the King of Jerulsam!
Thank you, wolfcity. I really appreciate the complement. :) Rodrigo will certainly be going places in this story.

Part1Banner.jpg

Chapter Two: Affairs of the Heart
A Seed is Planted

Duke Ramon Berenguer’s final victory over the Emirate of Zaragoza at Tarragona meant nothing to the beleaguered subjects of Barcelona back at home. The Peasant’s Revolt of 1069 was unsuccessful on two fronts – they had failed to gain any concessions from His Excellency Pedro Ramon, and they hadn’t harvested enough food to survive the grueling winter that had begun to besiege them. The people of Barcelona were starving, and to make it worse, were being robbed by the Regent. Acting through the Church, Pedro Ramon seized whatever material assets his subjects had of value. With a stockpile of gold in his treasury untouchable by his father, nobody knew what nefarious purposes it would serve, only a swath of people who wanted to use it for themselves.

Barcelona, The Spains
December 29th, 1069

Pedro sat in his usual position on his father’s throne – slouched and uninterested – as the representative of the Green Harper’s mercenary band droned on about fees and prices. He rightly didn’t care about how much they cost, or how many men they could field, as long as they could get the job done and pacify his subjects. His father, who refused to turn north and squash the revolt, left it to him to deal with the uprising as he saw fit. Choosing to end it violently and secure the homefront, Pedro eagerly tuned out the representative until de Baslu awkwardly interrupted him when his response was required.

Quickly, Pedro’s boredom turned into sleepiness, his eyes opening and shutting as the grogginess grew heavier and heavier. Only a polite nudge from his chancellor awoke him, with Pedro smiling as if he expecting everything to be on cue. Yawning slightly, he repositioned himself upright, leaning forward with his hands clasped together as if he had been deep in thought the entire time. Chancellor de Baslu rolled his eyes behind the Regent’s back, seeing what an embarrassment Pedro had really become to the descendants of Charlemagne’s Spanish March.

“Can you get the job done?” Pedro asked, fully recovered from his ten minute nap.

“As I said before Your Excellency…” the representative recalled, immediately being cut off by the Regent.

“Excellent!” Pedro half-heartedly replied, clapping his hands together in mock amusement, “make the arrangements, de Baslu. You are excused… whatever your name is.”

The representative bit his lip, as if stopping the floodgate of insults. “Thank you, Your Excellency,” the representative bowed, his poor Catalan mixing oddly with his Irish accent. Turning on his heel, he quickly exited into the castle’s atrium, awaiting his payment.

“I shall include a tad extra gold to ease over the tension, with your permission,” de Baslu lowered his head as he whirled around from his backward position to the base of Pedro’s throne.

“You certainly will not!” Pedro exclaimed, standing up as he flailed his arms into the air, “he deserves not a penny more. If I find even a single coin missing, it will be your head! Do we have an understanding?”

Bernat de Baslu bowed his head, the tired chancellor mouthing a curse before raising his head. “I shall deduct an appropriate amount of my pay to give to the man, then,” de Baslu presented, his tone much sharper than before as the angry mounted.

“Good boy!” Pedro clapped his hands, his voice higher as if praising a pet, “off you go!”

“Excellency,” de Baslu nodded, quickly scurrying off to do his job, and scorning every moment of it.

Pedro was then left to his own devices, a swirling silence consuming him as only the throne room itself was friendly enough to offer him comfort. He only shook his head as he lowered it into his hands. He contemplated if anyone was in the room to see him, but in the end he didn’t care. “I never asked for this,” Pedro mumbled to himself as he buried his forehand into his cupped hands. As the silence grew ever more eerie, Pedro quickly descended the steps of his father’s throne and glanced over to either side of him. Crudely drawn busts of his predecessors adorned each wall, standing as a constant reminder of what this place was and who had been here. Pedro’s thoughts immediately refocused to these great men around him – he yearned to be up there someday. How long would he have to wait?

“Husband,” a quaint, little voice broke through the shadows, “I have the bed prepared if you would care to join me…”

BadMarriage.jpg

Pedro immediately flipped around to the corridor leading off to the ducal residence. He could only cock an eyebrow at such a suggestion. It was much unlike his wife to proposition him in the middle of the day – even when she knew the answer before she arrived. “My dear wife,” Pedro approached his bride, clasping her pale hands in between his, “it is the middle of the day-“ Pedro began to say, forgetting what he had done earlier in the kitchen with one of the maids, “I am much to tired. The representative of the Green Harpers just kept droning on senselessly. Very tiring indeed.”

“I see…” the child of King Sancho continued, “well, perhaps another time.” She knew what he was like and what he did, but why would be blatantly refuse her even when it was what he would be doing anyway? Holding back tears, Urraca stormed out to return to her bedroom, wondering why he constantly refused her. He would blame his piety, but he clearly didn’t have any of that.

Pedro was about to return to the drawings of the previous dukes before more footsteps disturbed his daydream of power and glory. He almost threw out a curse before he saw who it was – his mother, Almodis de La Marche. Smiling, he embraced the women that gave him life. He was, however, thrown off by her seemingly cold attitude – colder than usual for someone who had been locked away for dozens of years on house arrest. Stepping back, Pedro folded his arms and raised an inquiring eyebrow – much the same look he gave his wife.

“Mother, what is wrong?” Pedro asked.

“Oh nothing,” Almodis began, “I am still upset over what happened with your father,” the schemer lied, a smile collecting underneath her veiled visage.

“No worries,” Pedro placed a reassuring hand on his mother’s shoulder, “I am sure it will come round. Father is a reasonable man.”

“You and I both know that is a lie, Pedro,” Almodis shrugged off the hand, taking to a lean on the steep staircase leading to the ducal throne, “I ran into the chancellor as I came in, he said you were buying mercenaries.”

“That is correct,” Pedro uncomfortably agreed, “I am going to take care of the peasants who, even after starving themselves, refuse to give up. I have no other choice if I want to keep Barcelona secure for Father.”

Almodis, in that single moment, grinned for the first time in what she believed had been ages ago.

“You are a good ruler, Pedro,” Almodis complemented her son, coming out of her lean and taking a much more appropriate posture for conversation, “our subjects may die, but at least order is preserved. That alone is a tough choice – a choice only you could have made.”

“Thank you, mother!” Pedro exclaimed, snapping his fingers toward a nearby servant. Instantly, he was handed a glorious red apple. Excusing the servant, he took a rather large, annoying bite, pieces of apple exploding out of his gaping mouth as he struggled to chew, “but I am sure you didn’t come here to comment on my skills as a ruler. What is this really all about?”

Almodis nearly lost her cool and busted up laughing at the mention of his ‘skills as a ruler.’ Pedro was incompetent at best, and his mother had no issue criticizing him on such things. He was here only because he blood allowed him to be. “I only wished to ask what your plans were with the mercenaries after the conflict was over.”

Pedro pondered the question for a moment. When the ceiling provided the answer, he returned to Almodis’ questioning gaze, “Keep them on as security until spring arrives. Make sure the peasants properly return to the fields so they don’t kill themselves again. Probably to make sure they work faster as well. They need to make up for the slack, after all! I have goals to meet for Father’s campaign.”

“A noble idea,” Almodis lied, “perhaps I can offer a suggestion?”

“You know Barcelona better than I – please go ahead!” Pedro exclaimed, tossing the half-eaten apple on the floor, the servant eagerly gathering it up to take it back to his starving family at his quarters.

“I was thinking you could move the army south, toward Tarragona,” Almodis struggled to remember the name of the recently conquered city.

“To assist my father? I am sure some of his men could use a rest,” Pedro nodded his head up and done, accepting the suggestion and contemplating it for mere seconds before his thoughts ran off to the women he had taken earlier.

“No,” Almodis rebuked sharply, “to attack your father.”

Pedro nearly threw up what he had just eaten. The shock of what his mother had just said took a few moments to sink in, and even then, he just couldn’t believe it. Why would she suggest such a thing? Striking a disloyal general before he got to you was one thing – but to attack one’s father? It was a heinous crime to even consider – and the social implications were dark at best. No one would follow a fratricide.

“You must be joking,” Pedro laughed it off, hoping he was right. Almodis’ shaking head proved otherwise.

“Where is your father to put down this rebellion, instead of bankrupting the treasury to do so for him? You had to steal from the poor to kill the poor! What sort of leaders put their son and Regent in that position? You are a far more capable ruler than he is! Besides, you heard what he said – he is never coming back. You are practically the Duke already, Pedro! The only thing you are missing is the crown – which can easily be taken from him…”

“No!” Pedro exclaimed, running at his mother to push her back, “I will not kill my own father! I will not jeapordize my afterlife because of some silly idea like that!”

“Hell would be a nice place considering what you have done. Not bedding your wife to give you child? That in itself is embarrassment enough to cripple this family!” Almodis screamed, gesturing to the servants to close behind them as they were excused, “he is holding you back Pedro. He gave up his authority over Barcelona when he said he would never return! What is the difference if you must kill him – you are already dead to him!”

“Enough!” Pedro screeched, stomping his feet as he twisted and turned around the room, “you get out of my sight! You are not supposed to be saying such things about your husband and my father – even if he is rid of you! God will take him when he is ready, and the duty of Barcelona will pass to me when it is time! Leave this place at once and we shall never speak of this again! I will just pretend it never happened.” Pedro immediately turned his back to his mother, signaling it was time for her to go.

“As you wish, but think about what I said. You know I am right,” Almodis bowed her head, and scurried off to her residence, reveling in what had happened within the throne room.

As his mother left, and the servants returning, Pedro collapsed onto the front steps of his father’s throne, staring at the ceiling as if stars outside his window. As everything he once knew and thought flashed before his eyes, he couldn’t help but wonder – was she right?

Last edited:
He's actully considering this? He is going to attack his father for a crown and tite, when he is the De Facto leader of Barcelona? That's a little farftched.

Bah, evil bitch. Kill her.
Awesome update, but I agree with enewald, kill her.
I believe both of you will be satisfied on the outcome of all of this,
He's actully considering this? He is going to attack his father for a crown and tite, when he is the De Facto leader of Barcelona? That's a little farftched.
Consider the kind of person Pedro is - he is obsessed with himself. He is the de facto leader, but he is the the de jure leader. Also remember, Perdo is easily manipulated. Commiting himself to treachery would be a lot easier if the right people tell him it is a good idea. Really, Pedro is a victim of those of much more intelligence around him.

Pedro will be a brave (foolish) man to attack an army led by Rodrigo.

Chapter Two, Part Six

Part1Banner.jpg

Chapter Two: Affairs of the Heart
Coming of Age

Things had become quite uneasy at the Regency’s court in the successive months after Almodis’ initial offer of treachery. As the Army of Barcelona began to mobilize for a push south, Almodis was slowly removed from her more public role in ducal affairs ever since the Duke’s private refusal to never return home. By mid-March, the only official duty the Duchess of Barcelona held was the greeting of guests to the Regent’s residence, and whether or not to accept them or send them away. While still an important position, it paled in comparison to Almodis’ role of advisor that she had assumed on Ramon Berenguer’s departure. Her plan to slowly lure Pedro seemed to be faltering, and she was regretfully forced to plot with the enemy to get him to her side. She knew just the person.

Barcelona, The Spains
March 13th, 1070

Laying flat on her back was a position Ermesenda d’Empuries often found herself in since she had arrived at court in Barcelona.

With her dimwitted, yet logistical genius, father away on campaign – Ermesenda had been allowed to full engross herself into the deepest recesses of state politics. Since the departure of the Duke to war nearly two years prior, she had only visited him twice; once to reaffirm her relationship and again to end that affirmation. It was clear, with a permanent wedge driven in between the Duke and Duchess, and the Duchess’ outward support of her son, that the balance of power was shifting, and soon she would have to find a new bedchamber to sleep in. Everyone knew she had secrets – secrets that could change everything – and many men yearned for her companionship. Unfortunately for them, she had chosen to be very selective.

It was no surprise to her when the Duchess approached her for whatever information. What was more interesting was what she was offered. She held her every right to flatly refuse – but she did not. Taking a handsomely large sum of gold and the right to directly tax a few of Barcelona’s more profitable fiefs, Ermesenda gladly accepted what was laid before her. It was now time to fufill her half of the contract – seduce and divulge the information she knew to a specific courtier. Almodis knew that whatever information she claimed to possess would be more than enough to be the final nail in Duke Ramon Berenguer’s coffin.

“That was… incredible,” Pedro commented on the events that transpired in her bedchamber. As the man rolled off of her and onto his back, Ermesenda swore she head the sobs of a distraught female, but quickly dispersed such thoughts and returned to the task at hand.

“I am glad you enjoyed yourself, Excellency,” Ermesenda giggled, playing with Pedro’s chest with a lone finger, “I exist to please you.”

“Please, call me Pedro. I detest formalities like that in the bedroom,” Pedro assured her. Rolling over to face her, Pedro’s visage was almost overtaken by the size of his grin, clearly satisfied with the events that transpired.

“Alright, Pedro,” Ermesenda playfully repeated the Regent’s name, “how do you feel about your father on campaign?”

Under any normal conditions, even an idiot such as Pedro would have noticed the smooth transition into politics, as if lying with her had its price. But, his mind relaxed as his carnal desires were sated, he had no way of detecting such things. It was a trick the eldest daughter of Count d’Empuries held close to her heart just as she held many men close to her bosom.

“I guess you could say I feel a little left out,” Pedro admitted, his lips loose as if he had drank a bottle of wine, “the most prominent nobles and the ablest soldiers of Barcelona have been called up. Everything my father has earned is being gambled in the field of battle. Yet, with all of the risks, why have I been left behind? Perhaps it is just an oversight.”

Ermesenda grinned a most virulent grin. He was nearly hers.

“Perhaps he does not feel you are a capable commander?”

“Well,” Pedro trailed off, his voice laced with melancholy, “I would not be the first to admit that I am an avid commander in the field – but that does not mean I am incapable! I have received a proper education. I have read volumes of military strategy. I have not seen any action… but that does not mean I would be dishonorable on campaign…”

PedroCoward.jpg

“Of course not,” Ermesenda prepared a lie, “I bet you would be an excellent leader. I am almost sure of it!” Pedro let out a grunt of irritation.

“I wish my father had your wisdom.”

“Tell me,” Ermesenda bit her lip, her face darkening like the succubus she was, “quite a bit of territory has been conquered in these last few years. Is any of it allotted for you?”

“By all accounts, my father is not to return home, but surely he must…” Pedro rambled on, “I suppose that is a bit off topic. What I meant was, when the regency is ended… I don’t have any territory given to me quite yet… but rumor has it that I shall be allotted Valencia when the time comes! I am very excited.”

“Hmm… Valencia…” Ermesenda trailed off mockingly, “that is quite a ways from Barcelona. I would almost say… oh silly me! That would be improper of me! My apologies, Excell… Pedro!”

Pedro only raised a curious eyebrow as his partner stumbled over her words again and again. Clearly, she knew something… but what? What could it possibly be?

“You know something?” Pedro asked.

“Well, it is an observation that is fueling an idea of mine,” Ermesenda lied, recanting the events that transpired in this same bedroom with Pedro’s father. Pedro urged her on with a commanding wave of his hand, “rumor has it that your father gave you this position to keep you away from him. Almost like he doesn’t want to see you. I mean, he told off his wife, the Duchess! Their relationship was precarious, but functional. Clearly he had other motives…”

“That is… no, it couldn’t… it’s almost like…” Pedro stumbled about with his words, his weak mind having many difficulties wrapping his brain around what Ermesenda had just said. Then suddenly, it hit him. It hit him so fast that he couldn’t even believe it, “it is almost like he doesn’t want me to rule.” Pedro’s face immediately turned to gloom. His features began to droop and his face turned white with nerves. The room grew eerily quiet, and the young woman swore she could hear their intertwined heartbeats. Everything that been laid into place. She had fulfilled her end of the bargain, but would her implantation hold.

“He doesn’t want me to rule…” Pedro repeated, his eyes taken by the bleakness of the stony ceiling. Everything was collapsing around him. The trust that had he fostered from his father broke apart like a sheet of ice against the ground – the pieces a glittering reminder of lost innocence. It was time to respond.

Pedro immediately jumped to his feet, and scrambled to put on his clothes. Ermesenda played her part well, covering herself up, her eyes wide with fake fear as Pedro nearly doubled over as he hoisted up his trousers. After everything had been donned and flattened out against his body, he head for the door, slightly opening it before turning back to his partner, giving her a glistening smile of gratitude.

“If I have done something improper…” Ermesenda questioned.

“Not, not at all! I have a great time, and I would love to have you…I would love to see you again,” Pedro corrected himself, forgetting his place, “I just want to thank you… for everything. I never thought this would happen, but, thank you. I would rather hear it like this than the alternative.”

Ermesenda sat straight up, the bed sheets barely covering her naked flesh. “What do you plan to do, Pedro?”

“I have to speak with my mother. She will know what to do,” Pedro announced as he opened the door and closed it gently behind him. Ermesenda was then left alone – alone to revel in her victory. An aura of riches and power to come took over her thoughts as she laid gently down upon her bed, falling asleep as dreams encompasses her mind and passed her into a sound sleep.

-----------------------------​
Well, that is the end of Chapter Two - I hope you all liked it. It appears the stage is set for Chapter Three - the unknowing Duke and loyal Rodrigo versus the cabal of Almodis, Ermesenda, and Pedro Ramon. The only question is, who can outmanuever the other?

Plots within plots... knives within knives...
It is a house of cards - one that must fall eventually...
Why have women to be so evil in this AAR? :p
Behind a cunning man is a even more cunning women? I have no idea. :p Just the way it all fell, I guess. I am loosely writing about events that happened in game combined with my own twists.

Chapter Three, Part One

Sorry for the late update, ladies and gents. Exams and the sudden discovery that I have to move out of my house in two weeks have sorta set me back in the writing department. Admittedly, I could have played a little less EU3, but it just hard to concentrate at the moment. Well, here you go! I hope you all enjoy.

-------------------

Part1Banner.jpg

Chapter Three: Paying the Ferryman
A New Order

The Duchy of Barcelona was quickly becoming a divided place – and it was apparent to everyone except its leader, Duke Ramon Berenguer, Patriarch of the House of Sunifred. This period of history would be one of the Duchy’s black marks before its end in 1086. This period would be known as the Gilded Regency, as after Pedro Ramon had committed himself to treachery, Barcelona entered a period of much havoc as the Regent absorbed the majority of the income of Barcelona for his own purposes – mainly mercenaries. These mercenaries served two purposes: keep the people at bay and prepare for the day where he would march on his father. Pedro even began stylizing himself as “His Highness,” which was a direct challenge to his father. Yet with the bustle of Rodrigo’s lightening campaign, and the Duke’s refusal to ever enter Barcelona again, there was nothing anyone really could do…

Barcelona, The Spains
March 1st, 1071

“So, gentlemen, what do you say? Do we have a deal?” Pedro looked down from the perch that was his throne, having refused from the beginning to stand and greet anyone that was not his equal. His piercing eyes descended over his guests, casting a blackened shadow over the room. However, his guests could care less. They were more interested in the business end of his conversation.

The creditor scratched his chin, rubbing the spiky stubble on his chin as the offer presented to him danced throughout his conscious, weighing the positives and negatives, and seeing if trusting the Regent was applicable. He could stand to make quite a bit of money from this deal, but if anything was like father – he wouldn’t ever be paid. Pedro seemed different though, so perhaps it was time to make an exception. These were changing times, and changing times called to his inner-gambler.

“50,000 denarii is a lot of money… Your Highness,” the creditor began, nearly forgetting to mention Pedro’s assumed title, “but I am willing to risk it. You seem to be a fair person, unlike your father who has taken out several loans from various loans and repaid nothing – including myself.”

“To be fair,” Pedro waved his hand and hissed, “you loaned him coin with the campaign as collateral. You should have seen this coming. He needs all the money he can muster to continue his holy war against Islam. Don’t expect anything he returns.”

“Every idiot knows he is not returning. The only question is – should I expect the same treatment from you?” the creditor raised a curious eyebrow, wondering if entering this castle was even worth his time.

“You shall address me properly!” Pedro screamed as he rose from his chair, standing upright from atop his throne, bearing down on his pathetic subject below him. It was a place Pedro liked to me – above anyone and everyone. It was where he had power – power over life and death. No one else had power like he, not even his father. He truly was the master of Barcelona, and if he had to enforce that through treachery and hired thugs – then so be it, “or else money isn’t the only thing you will lose to today. Consider your tongue to be the first thing to adorn my crown when Navarre submits to me.”

Crown.jpg

“I apologize, Your Highness,” the creditor bent his neck, trying to recover whatever had been lost in the negotiations.

“Good,” Pedro sat back down in his chair, “payment will begin in one year…”

“One year!?” the creditor stepped forward, raising an arm is protest, but immediately regretted it as the unsheathing of swords echoed behind him.

“One year,” Pedro begain again, “whatever outstanding balance remains shall be repaid in full at the fifth anniversary of this transaction. I believe those are fair terms?”

“They are, Your Highness,” the creditor rumbled, clenching and unclenching his jaw in anger.

“Good! See to Stewardess Adelaida to deal with the peculiar details,” Pedro waved a ringed hand toward the door, “now off you go! Shoo! I have more important things to do now.”

As the creditor was cleared from the room by his thugs, he was only allowed a few moments to bask in the glory that was his ego. Breathing in a deep breath of fresh air, his calm was interrupted by a slow yet rhythmic singular clap emanating from behind him. Peeking his head around the large wooden throne, he spotted his veiled mother in her usual black dress slowly approaching the throne. Though he could not see her face, he could feel her happiness as she entered. It had been nice to see his mother happy once again after so many years of forced imprisonment.

“A splendid performance, Pedro! I could feel the aura in the room as I watched from the bedchambers. You did a masterful job – I could hardly tell you apart from your old personality,” Almodis complimented, making her way around the front of the throne. Pedro, immediately springing from his seat, made his way down the staircase from his perch and embraced his mother.

“I have had a great teacher,” Pedro squeezed his mother tight, to then let her go and lean against the side of the staircase. Almodis smiled deviously behind her curtained visage, seeing her creation grow stronger each day. Soon, he would be ready to do his job for Barcelona. It would only be a matter of time, no doubt.

“What is our next move?” Pedro asked anxiously, hoping from some insight from his mother.

“The key to controlling Barcelona is the army,” Almodis obliged her son, “that has been the way things have been since the days of the Spanish March under Charlemagne.”

“The Spanish what?” Pedro raised a curious eyebrow. Almodis sighed heavily and rolled her eyes. Only for a moment she wished her eldest son would have taken more time for his studies then his promiscuity.

“No matter,” Almodis saved face, “whoever controls the army controls the state – and we do not have control. Your father and Rodrigo do. As far as anyone is concerned, we have no legitimacy.

“I despise Rodrigo,” Pedro spat poison, “he has caused nothing but trouble since he came. He has polluted my sister and now he holds the Duke in his hands like clay! Rodrigo must die!”

“I am inclined to agree,” Almodis clasped her hands together and let them hang, nodding in approval, “but Rodrigo cannot die. Not yet, anyway. He is far too popular. Killing him now will just make the soldiers suspect. I can only imagine that a few fingers would be pointed back at home.”

“Then what do we do?” Pedro inquired, a concerned look dampening his face, laying his future in the hands of his mother who had equally no idea what was next. Immediately, however, both scheming people jumped at the noise of a few solemn footsteps, followed by the loud creak of the double doors bursting open with several armed guards following the Chancellor, Bernat de Baslu. The man approaching them was the bishop of their diocese, Alfons de Canãmas – having been appointed several years ago by Rome to serve in Barcelona. Pedro, a man unconcerned with his afterlife, immediately sprung to action by drawing a dagger out of his boot. He rapidly approached the bishop, pointing the blade at him. The bishop responded by throwing his hands into the air, unsure of why this was happening.

“What are you doing here, holy man?” Pedro screamed at the top of his lungs, inching closer and closer to the priest.

“I tried to stop him!” de Baslu yelled, directing the soldiers to surround Bishop Alfons, “he must have circumvented my guards.”

“Stand down, Chancellor,” Almodis chimed in, looking over Alfons’ soldier to a most distraught de Baslu, “I believe we can resolve this diplomatically,” Almodis turned her head to her son, who caught her gaze and sheathed the knife from whence it came, “why are you here, exactly?”

“Well,” the aged Bishop cleared his throat, “I couldn’t help but overhear all this talk about intrigue and murder. I took it upon myself to investigate. I had tried to get in directly, but your chancellor blocked my way. So I just went around. Very easy actually – I would suggest you check that.”

“I don’t understand,” Pedro blurted out, “are you spying on me? Who side are you on?”

“A spy wouldn’t reveal himself like I had, Your Highness,” Bishop Alfons winked a wrinkled eyelid, “but I am on no one’s side but with God. God is displeased with the way the campaign is being handled, and I am here to correct that. I am here to offer advice if I am allowed to do so.”

“Speak up,” Almodis waved her hand, beckoning the priest to continue.

“The infidels are foul, barbaric creatures that are being treated as equals rather than subjects. I have been dismayed ever since the fall of Zaragoza. A prince of heathens given authority over a city conquered by God’s faithful? We are truly in dark days if we sit at the same table with those only a short few years ago would have taken any chance to destroy us,” Bishop Alfons began, settling into an uneasy pace that caught the annoyance of Pedro, rolling his eyes several times between the bishop’s pauses and starts, “but luckily for the both of you, I happen to have a few ears in the army – and I will be happy to lend them to you for the right price.”

“And what would that price be, bishop?” Almodis asked, her voice strained with apprehension.

“Only that the complete religious authority over the lands conquered by the Army of Barcelona. I will make sure those territories benefit this city economically, militarily, and indeed, spiritually. That is all I require – and I do believe it is not too unreasonable,” Bishop Alfons clapped his hands together, looking to the chancellor, Pedro, and Almodis. De Baslu’s face turned sour with uncertainty, and luckily it went unnoticed. Everyone was far too busy considering the priest’s offer. It was simple, but what did he really want? Surely there was much more to gain than religious authority over a few conquered territories.

“I see no issue,” Almodis stated, crossing her arms, “what say you Your Highness?”

“I can accept your terms, Alfons,” Pedro replied, looking nervously toward his mother for approval. He could get none, as the veil draped over her face was equally as calculating as she. It was no matter – the issue was closed.

“Excellent! Now that all of this is settled,” the bishop paused for a few moments, his aged head cocking slightly to the side, “what should I arrange?” While the question technically for Pedro, his mother cut him off as he opened his mouth to speak.

“Pedro will join the Army of Barcelona on their next engagement. Earning the respect of the army is certainly a step in the right direction. Bonds are best forged in blood, and some courage on the battlefield will turn far more heads than a bag of gold or some tempting words,” Almodis interjected.

“But mother, I do not know…”

“No matter, you shall be properly instructed in the art of hand-to-hand combat. You must learn someday if we shall ever confront your father. No day is better than today, am I correct?” Almodis smiled, Pedro becoming increasingly uneasy by the minute as the conversation continued. Everything was happening far too fast for his liking.

His palms and face dripping with nervous sweats, everything he knew and understood was being changed. Pedro had been swept into the firestorm of rebellion practically against his will. As he mother made arrangements for almost everything in his life, he couldn’t help but wonder and think why all of this was happening. As the world around him zoomed about, he only stood his ground, becoming enveloped by a damning silence that permeated his senses even as people entered and exited the room. He was a traitor, a scheming fratricide, and now a damned soul.

To what end?