• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
looks like the Taiping rebellion is calming down then. and #17 looks interesting, presume you are not planning wars at the same time with Russia and China?

I am of course not planning any wars, but I seem to remember there was a little incident in the Crimea, another incident about a ship called the Arrow, then there was a little local difficulty with Persia over and ambassador and a secretary, and a little trouble in India.

So perhaps it will not all be sweetness and light?

Yes it looks like the Taiping rebellion is quiet, however, it may flare up again?

I'm muddy on my history here, but do you already own Hong Kong? Could the Chinese want that back? If that's not the case, it's hard to see what they think to gain from declaring war on the world's foremost Great Power. Perhaps they need an outlet for their aggression, as the whole Taiping rebellion is slowly dying out?

Yes I already own Hong Kong and yes the Chinese would like it back, it's mine and I am keeping it!!!
Well, they may have noticed me looking at all those rebel provinces, particularly in Tibet.
It could of course indicate that Fu Manchu is alive and well?
I am slightly concerned as after all those battles they might have some very experienced troops?

Second quarter 1856

My Plans:
Short
Clean up Horn of Africa.
Medium
Exploring Africa
Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
Target Pretoria and Transvaal
Long
Continue to pump out naval demonstrations and geographical expeditions and asking native chiefs to cede to gain PP's.
Develop the economy.
Improve relations with foreigners.
Add new colonies.
Expand into central asia to forestall russia

Actions by turn:
150. 2 x demo, 3 x cede, 2 x roads, 5 x missionaries, coal
151. 2 x demo, 1 x dominion, 1 x colony, 10 x school, defense turkey
152. 2 x demo, 15 x outpost, 1 x geog, 1 x merch, 1 x coal
153. 2 x demo, 1 x geog, 1 colony, 9 x bribe,
154. 2 x demo, 1 x bribe, 2 x merch,
155. 2 x demo, 1 x geog, 1 x merch, 2 x explore

Key:
Brig is short for brigade
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
demo for Naval demo (cost 20 money get 20 PP)
geog Geographical Expedition (cost 125 capital get 100 PP)
PP prestige points
Number after province means increase of colonial pentration
Province on own under colonial means gained in size of city

Results by turn:
151. Event:japan, germany medal; Battle:; Movement:; New unit:coal, 7 x anchorage, completed div peshawar; Control:annex 713 money, 6 soldiers, sanaa; System:; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:606; Colony:us state, russia vs sweden resolved 455/46, geog failed arusha, 2 x demo, colony timphu, colony bhutan, colony sikkim, schools mellore, bangalore, mysore, madras, coimbatore, calicut, madura, trivandrum, colombo, trincomalee, protectorate aden, dominion toronto, prussia merch mbanza, ;
152. Event:RR oldenburg, cienfuegesa; Battle:hadramut 2560/102 draw; Movement:kyber, accra, aden, walvis, freetown; New unit:completed 3 x supply peshawar, textile north east, coal midlands, mission bhopal, gulbarga, jumla, katmandu, timphu; Control:xhosa revolt beaufort,; System:trans supplies; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:598; Colony:us state agreed, defensive turkey, geog failed garissa, 2 x demo, outpost mandalay, prome, toungoo, pegu, dubai, trucial, qatar, aden, lamu, mombassa, tanga, dar-es-salaam, zanzibar, beaufort, outpost failed mossel, merch failed samarkand, austria mas transport slawonien, russia suppress tobolsk, xhosa revolt crushed, ;
153. Event:RR aragon; Battle:; Movement:bombay, hadramut, south west, kyber, taiz, mukalla; New unit:coal completed 6 x labour regt south west, mustered TP hoedeieda, consulate aden, RR multan, meerut, schools mellore, bangalore, mysore, madras, coimbatore, calicut, madura, trivandrum, colombo, trincomalee, governor timphu; Control:annex 26 soldiers, 723 money, hoedeida; System:; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:604; Colony:supply expired turkey, defense agreed turkey, austria state wurtembourg, state expired us, local expired spain, brazil, portugal, merch samarkand, 2 x demo, bribe walvis, duala, fiji, kulab, karyn, almaty, bishkek, shymkent, tashkent, colony ulundi, prussia merch mbanza, turkey merch dayr, netherlands colonists curacao, rebels ufur joined turkey, ;
154. Event:50k Aus and NZ, 131K Can, 20K SA, bedouin, oman, RR teju, jyland; Battle:; Movement:south west, bengal MT, sanaa; New unit:completed labour regt south west, completed 2 x div peshawar, RR rajkot, jaipur, anchorage lamu, tanga, zanizibar, ulundi, kalat, saldahana, outpost lamu, mombassa, tanga, dar-es-salaam, zanizibar, beaufort, umtata, ulundi, qatar, trucial, dubai, aden, pegu, prome, mandalay, toungoo, ; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:604; Colony:state expired siam lasting, 2 x demo, bribes kuala lumpur, merch failed bokhara, shymkent, austria sewer osterreich, spain outpost guam, queensland 9, ;
155. Event:wuchang has fallen to taiping; Battle:; Movement:singapore, hoedieda, nugouses, kintampo,; New unit:coal, completed 2 x supply south west, coal east lowlands, governor ulundi,; Control:depot sanaa, hoedieda; System:; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:602; Colony:merch bokhara, shymkent, 2 x demo, TP failed bokhara, merch failed samarkand, geog morogoro, new south wales 7, ;
156. Event:sydney +6, toureg; Battle:hoedieda 0/973 won, sanaa 0/307 won, sanaa 0/400 won,; Movement:faizabad, sanaa, bombay, kaapstadt; New unit:mustered sanaa, completed supply bombay; Control:; System:; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:605; Colony:explore failed akouge, karasberg, merch samarkand, geog failed morogoro, 2 x demo, TP failed samarkand, missionaries zanzibar, kyaukse, taunggyi, haka, putao, cede karyn, bishkek, tashkent, colonists delhi, cawnpore, allahabad, tele colombo, trincomalee, merch failed karyn, france colonists saigon, spain supress el rif, nepal 4,;

Notes:
1. Still buying merchant ship replacements.
2. Miner rebellion in Melbourne, sent brigade there. The option has not disapeared?
3. Crushed rebels in Horn of Africa.
4. Been struggling with a lack of coal, having built several coal mines I think it will soon be resolved.
5. Diplomatic incident with Persia, could lead to war?
6. Taiping fighting has dropped away, but they hold several provinces.
7. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, I am hoping to advance into this area.

Progress:
Gained 1270 PP in quarter, target grew by 1068; to date 25093 against 25112. So will achieve target in 0 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 11 quarters.
Russia has overtaken France and is now second again. This was achieved with the crisis with Sweden.

Summary:
Have added 117 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 10 ahead of my target of one per turn. Buying coal mines which are very expensive.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 97%. Militancy 1%, Education 96%.
The value of my stocks is 19,672, previous quarter 18,177.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 99. So now strongest.
Start of quarter needed 483 hits replaced, end of quarter 365. Three classes of ships are the main problems,heavy ships (35), light ships (34) and merchants (268). Found that 9 merchant fleets needed replacements, so rotating 2 merchant fleets around to do this.

Navy Board:
Develop bases across the world.
Won first naval battle off the Arakan Coast.
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76
Fleets: 2 transport fleets

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 28 5 7
Casualties 40644 26491
% win 70%
Loss per battle 1016 662 53%
Brigades this quarter 3, to date 52
152. hadramut 2560/102 draw
156. hoedieda 0/973 won, sanaa 0/307 won, sanaa 0/400 won,

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.
At the start satisfaction gain 58% goods sold 609, by the end 63% and 605.
So satisfaction gain is holding steady. Delivering 55% of luxuries.

Colonial office:
Establish more colonies and protectorates
Develop provinces in colonies
Gain maximum prestige points
colony timphu, colony bhutan, colony sikkim, protectorate aden, dominion toronto, colony ulundi,
russia vs sweden resolved 455/46,

Foreign office:
Develop good relations with friends.
Ensure key allies are protected
Relations France(40), Prussia(38), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(10), Japan(25), Italy(34), Turkey(67), China(21), Belgium(42), Denmark(49), Greece(45), Netherlands(41), Portugal(39), Spain(26), Sweden(29), Brazil(40), Chile(42)
Relations France(40), Prussia(39), Austria(41), US(100), Russia(9), Japan(22), Italy(32), Turkey(72), China(22), Belgium(37), Denmark(48), Greece(42), Netherlands(38), Portugal(39), Spain(28), Sweden(32), Brazil(40), Chile(41)
7 overall loss over 18 countries. Running out of diplomats, get 52 a year, this would support local for 18 countries, need 12 for cede options and several for colony and protectorate, so probably have to drop several from support. Have stopped renewing local support, need to identify core options and just do them. Need 5 diplomats for CB against Transvaal, and same against Pretoria.
defense agreed turkey,

Taiping war:
36. China 6k casualties, taiping war started 6k
42. China 63k casualties 57k
48. China 78k casualties 15k
54. China 90k casualties 12k
60. China 166k casualties 76k
66. China 238k casualties 72k
72. China 246k casualties 8k
78. China 264k casualties 18k
84. China 271k casualties 7k
90. China 271k casualties 0k
96. China 281k casualties 10k
102. China 284k casualties 3k
108. China 317k casualties 33k
114. China 324k casualties 7k
120. China 331k casualties 7k
126. China 352k casualties 21k
132. China 371k casualties 19k
138. China 394k casualties 23k
144. China 397k casualties 3k
150. China 398k casualties 1k
156. China 399k casualties 1k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Transvaal
3. Pretoria
8. Duala
9. Turkmenistan
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kirgistan
12. Tibet
13. Defense treaty Sweden
15. Defense treaty Prussia
16. Defense treaty Austria
17. China, for forging a CB

But... but... If you win by prestige, then Russia will get away with bullying Sweden! And the Turks! And all the other, poor, civilized (and uncivilized) people of the world! Don't let the bullies win! Put that Russian Bear in a bear trap and teach him to do silly, humiliating dances for the entertainment of others! :p

In all seriousness, you're doing very well and even a 'simple' prestige victory looks like something that's quite the feat to pull off. Color me impressed, regardless of how you end up winning the game. :)

you are making impressive gains - so you are basically 4 years from winning on prestige unless something dramatic happens to disrupt the rate and ratio of prestige gain?

Yes, but I expect there may be a few boulders on the way.

I am now trying to setup a battle against SAR (Southern Africa Republic), so I have built a large force up in Kaapstadt.

Strangely I have inherited the zulu and basuto armies and they are tough, discipline 12!! I will build a couple of artillery regiments as reinforcements and away they go.

The other action I am expecting is overruning the rebel held areas that stretch across central asia.

But... but... If you win by prestige, then Russia will get away with bullying Sweden! And the Turks! And all the other, poor, civilized (and uncivilized) people of the world! Don't let the bullies win! Put that Russian Bear in a bear trap and teach him to do silly, humiliating dances for the entertainment of others! :p

In all seriousness, you're doing very well and even a 'simple' prestige victory looks like something that's quite the feat to pull off. Color me impressed, regardless of how you end up winning the game. :)

Clearly, the plan is to create the "Curtain of Iron" to shield off Russia, Sweden will soon become an ally, then Prussia, Austria. China will be dealt with. Central Asia will be occupied and I will need to pacify Persia.

I may stike at the soft underbelly.....

It is all going so smoothly.

Third quarter 1856

My Plans:
Short
Clean up Turmenistan
Medium
Exploring Africa
Uzbekistan
Long
Continue to pump out naval demonstrations and geographical expeditions and asking native chiefs to cede to gain PP's.
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.

Actions by turn:
150. 2 x demo, 3 x cede, 2 x roads, 5 x missionaries, coal
151. 2 x demo, 1 x dominion, 1 x colony, 10 x school, defense turkey
152. 2 x demo, 15 x outpost, 1 x geog, 1 x merch, 1 x coal
153. 2 x demo, 1 x geog, 1 colony, 9 x bribe,
154. 2 x demo, 1 x bribe, 2 x merch,
155. 2 x demo, 1 x geog, 1 x merch, 2 x explore

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
157. Event:melbourne +6, RR vastegotland,; Battle:; Movement:kaapstadt, dar-es-salaam, ulundi, faizabad, mombassa, hadramut; New unit:ammo; Control:; System:gillneting; Trade:; %SatMod:0.62; Sold:620; Colony:yemeni peace, austria state prussia, newcastle, surat, amritsar, nagpur, jessore, explore failed bondouku, merch fiji, geog failed morogoro, 2 x demo, roads tanga, prussia merch mbanza, us merch inland northwest, ;
158. Event:cherokee; Battle:faizabad 0/205 won; Movement:faizabad, kankan, balkh, korugh, south west; New unit:ammo, mustered brunei, faizabad, taiz, completed coal NE, mission zanzibar, haka, putao, kyaukse, taunggyi; Control:depot faizabad; System:trans supplies, unsupplied karyn, ; Trade:; %SatMod:0.62; Sold:622; Colony:zulu peace, austria state bavaria, explore failed banduko, geog failed rub, nakuru, 2 x demo, outpost bamyan, herat, farrah, chitral, gilgit, sringar, katmandu, jumla, peshawar, ghazni, kandahar, dalbandin, quetta, balcuhistan, mukalla, france tele antilles, us tele cascades, ;
159. Event:retire fitz clarence, somerset, roberts, armstrong, new anson, scarlett, outram, shipbuilding progress; Battle:; Movement:kyber, kaapstadt, nakuru, bombay; New unit:ammo, completed mech munster; Control:depot balkh; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:621; Colony:geog failed garissa, 2 x demo, bribe kuantan, walvis, almaty, shymkent, samarkand, bokhara, merv, qarshi, kuchka, TP merv, school bijapur, masulipatam, hyderabad, gulbarga, cuttack, kolhapur, kurnool, chitadroog, mangalore, rangoon, colony singapore, russia supress agtau, transkei 4, ;
160. Event:hottento, germany roads, germany rejected telecommunications; Battle:; Movement:hoedieda, korugh; New unit:ammo, completed coal midlands, outpost bamyan, herat, farrah, chitral, gilgit, sringar, katmandu, jumla, peshawar, ghazni, kandahar, dalbandin, quetta, balcuhistan, mukalla, ; Control:trans supplies, unsupplied nugouses, ; System:; Trade:unpaid 41 elements; %SatMod:0.62; Sold:625; Colony:explore failed nairobi, 2 x demo, bribe fiji, road mukalla, qatar, bintulu, kuching, natural walvis, austria tele klienpolen, italy merch berbera, ;
161. Event:royal charter NZ, germany telecommunications, austria telecommunications, austria roads; Battle:; Movement:amercian MT, sanaa, korugh,; New unit:arms, completed div SW, mech NE, TP merv, school bijapur, masulipatam, hyderabad, gulbarga, cuttack, kolhapur, kurnool, chitadroog, mangalore, rangoon, governor singapore; Control:annex 9 elements, 759 money,; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.62; Sold:621; Colony:merch ashgabat, geog failed aghba, 2 x demo, colony basuto, turkey merch dayr, ;
162. Event:tukolor, abysinnia,; Battle:; Movement:kaapstadt, faizabad, sanaa, ulundi; New unit:arms, completed coal yorkshire; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:625; Colony:CB failed SAR, usa local, denmark passage holstein, wurtembourg local austria, explore failed nairobi, rub, 2 x demo, explore failed, mission ghazni, farrah, kandahar, dalbandin, baluchistan, cede duala, almaty, shymkent, TP bokhara, samarkand, road dubai, trucial, france tele cayenne, russia merch bokhara, russia school narym, russia colonists irkutsk, ;

Notes:
2. Miner rebellion in Melbourne, sent brigade there. The option has not disapeared?
3. Diplomatic incident with Persia, could lead to war?
4. Added protectorate for Turkmenistan, should action shortly.
5. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, I am hoping to advance into this area. Massed 6 divisions for this.
6. Added supply trains to explorers to advance and supply, this has not gone well, the supply trains use too much supply.

Progress:
Gained 1270 PP in quarter, target grew by 1068; to date 26340 against 25112. So will achieve target in -1 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 10 quarters.
Russia has overtaken France and is now second again. This was achieved with the crisis with Sweden.

Summary:
Have added 126 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 5 ahead of my target of one per turn. Buying coal mines which are very expensive.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 98%. Militancy 2%, Education 95%.
The value of my stocks is 20463, previous quarter 20,643.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 94. So now strongest.
Start of quarter needed 268 hits replaced, end of quarter 335. One class of ship is the main problem merchants (254).

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 29 5 7
Casualties 40644 26696
% win 71%
Loss per battle 991 651 52%
158. faizabad 0/205 won

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.
At the start satisfaction gain 63% goods sold 605, by the end 63% and 625.
So satisfaction gain is holding steady. Delivering 55% of luxuries.

Colonial office:
colony singapore, colony basuto,

Foreign office:
Relations France(40), Prussia(39), Austria(41), US(100), Russia(9), Japan(22), Italy(32), Turkey(72), China(22), Belgium(37), Denmark(48), Greece(42), Netherlands(38), Portugal(39), Spain(28), Sweden(32), Brazil(40), Chile(41)
Relations France(37), Prussia(39), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(7), Japan(20), Italy(28), Turkey(83), China(22), Belgium(35), Denmark(46), Greece(39), Netherlands(36), Portugal(38), Spain(27), Sweden(31), Brazil(41), Chile(38)
15 overall loss over 18 countries. Running out of diplomats, get 52 a year, this would support local for 18 countries, need 12 for cede options and several for colony and protectorate, so probably have to drop several from support. Have stopped renewing local support, need to identify core options and just do them. Need 5 diplomats for CB against Transvaal, and same against Pretoria.

Taiping war:
162. China 430k casualties 31k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Transvaal
3. Pretoria
8. Duala
9. Turkmenistan
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kirgistan
12. Tibet

I suppose from what I've seen in my own games, the big threat to your prestige victory is a major crisis with a huge stake that Russia cleans up on. I think in my game I've seen one crisis with a stake of 2500 so that could be quite destabilising to your progress to the goal.

In general, from my own and reading the other PoN AARs, I think they need to pay some attention to the rebel mechanics - who is at war with them, who can take over what etc

Joecon said:
6. Added supply trains to explorers to advance and supply, this has not gone well, the supply trains use too much supply.

That's a pretty fatal flaw. :p

It's good to see that the Chinese are focusing a bit more energy on killing themselves. Hopefully, that will give you the time and ability to focus on those non-conformist African colonists. Boers, prepare for the loving embrace of the British Empire's bosom! :)

I suppose from what I've seen in my own games, the big threat to your prestige victory is a major crisis with a huge stake that Russia cleans up on. I think in my game I've seen one crisis with a stake of 2500 so that could be quite destabilising to your progress to the goal.

In general, from my own and reading the other PoN AARs, I think they need to pay some attention to the rebel mechanics - who is at war with them, who can take over what etc

Yes, a major crisis I lost with Russia early in the game put me back 2,000 points of target, this is why they were added to the list.....

I suspect a properly planned and executed PP grab could end the game in less time than I am taking.

I agree about the rebel mechanics, I just noted that the three Persian provinces bordering Afghhanistan are in rebel hands, so I will see what happens when I wander in.
I think rebels should only be at war with their previous owner and otherwise have to be declared on as a single province country by anyone else.

That's a pretty fatal flaw. :p

It's good to see that the Chinese are focusing a bit more energy on killing themselves. Hopefully, that will give you the time and ability to focus on those non-conformist African colonists. Boers, prepare for the loving embrace of the British Empire's bosom! :)

Well I guess I did not check and assumed it would be free, so I have learnt something as they hurriedly head back to where they started.

I guess the real answer is to call up some boys and launch a few wars.

How hard can that be, they are just natives......

Did I mention I inherited the zulu armies who have discipline 12 compared to my usual 7, all they are missing is cavalry and artillery to become world beaters. So I will add this and send them in as part of the invasion force.

I like the image that conjures up: zulu warriors with their spears charging the enemy lines, while carbine-armed cavalry and artillery batteries blast those same lines from a distance. :) Raises the question: does PON model friendly fire? Seems like, in a Real Life application, the feared Zulu warriors might well slaughter their enemies at close range, but that they would be mowed down indiscriminately by their 'supporting' artillery at the same time.

I like the image that conjures up: zulu warriors with their spears charging the enemy lines, while carbine-armed cavalry and artillery batteries blast those same lines from a distance. :) Raises the question: does PON model friendly fire? Seems like, in a Real Life application, the feared Zulu warriors might well slaughter their enemies at close range, but that they would be mowed down indiscriminately by their 'supporting' artillery at the same time.

I am hoping it will be like the Imperial Guard in the Napoleonic Wars, it didn't have to fight because they had already told everyone how good they were, so the opposition saw them coming and ran.....

No I am afraid PoN does not model friendly fire and in this case I suspect it might not have been so friendly?

My new hope is that if anything kicks off anywhere round the globe I can transport them there to do the job.

I have seen the film and they would have terrified me.

Fourth quarter 1856

Quarter highlights:
Exploring Africa has gone horribly wrong, after my explorers ran out of supplies last time I attached some supply wagons and sent them in again. The supply wagons used up their supplies and are now falling to lack of supplies as they ruash back to the coast.
Uzbekistan, the colonial penetration is growing and will soon be able to declare a protectorate.
Target Pretoria and Transvaal, war has been declared, the depot at Lydenburg is under siege, my armie of zulus and other natives have higher discipline than my normal troops and move twice as fast. Have found the main boer army, it has four commandos and a large artillery regiment.
Persia had declared war on my ally Afghanistan, so I decided to declare war on them. The plan was to land expeditionary forces to take all their ports and move forces from Afghanistan into the Persian border until they surrender. This will be applied in spite of the little local difficulty described below.
China has suddenly flipped its attitude towards me, changed by 46 points in quarter, not sure what happened, perhaps the "Arrow" incident and I wasn't told. So there could be war there too.
Timing is everything in strategy, so I have demonstrated my supreme mastery by declaring war on Transvaal and Persia on the same turn the Indian Mutiny kicks off.
The Indian Mutiny has started, already Delhi, Meerut and Agra have fallen, how far will the rot spread. Well as mentioned above most of my forces have been sent elsewhere, so I will have to raise new armies to deal with this. I will rush up what I have got to build containment and then bring the siege gun from Calcutta to knock down the walls of the fortresses they have taken. Let battle commence.

My Plans:
Short
Clean up Turkmenistan
Medium
Exploring Africa
Uzbekistan
Long
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.

Actions by turn:
162. 2 x demo, 1 x explore, 1 x geog, 3 x cede, 2 x arms
163. 2 x demo, 5 x missionary, 1 x dominion,
164. 2 x demo, 1 x merch, tropical, exploitation, gems
165. 2 x demo, 1 x geog, forge CB SAR
166. 2 x demo, 1 x geog, 1 x bribe, declare war SAR, Persia,
167. 2 x demo, 1 x colony, 1 x merch, coal

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
163. Event:bedouin, senussi, indonesia, italy subsidy coal, belgium rejected roads; Battle:; Movement:morogoro, singapore, walvis, natal, ulundi, kaapstadt, kenyan shore; New unit:2 x arms, completed 2 x brig peshawar, div peshawar, 2 x supply durban, governor basuto; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:619; Colony:denmark state holstein, geog failed abha, 2 x demo, TP fiji, dominion halifax, portugal tele luanda, rebels zahedan joined persia, ;
164. Event:; Battle:retreat birjand; Movement:south west, birjand, farrah, faizabad, ulundi; New unit:completed div peshawar, coal wales, TP Bokhara, samarkand, mission farrah, kandahar, ghazni, baluchistan, dalbandin; Control:kokand, tashkent, depot natal, ; System:france prussia crisis, trans supplies, exploeres unsupplied; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:622; Colony:state expired us lasting, 2 x demo, outpost lahore, putao, myitkyina, dibrugarh, tawang, haka, magwe, lashio, taunggyi, kyaukse, mossel, korough, faizabad, kabul balkh, explored wa, bamako, merch failed fiji, protectorate tashkent, rebels managua joined nicaragua, ;
165. Event:germany urban transportation, italy rejected rains; Battle:; Movement:south west, natal, kaapstadt; New unit:exploitation mandalay, gems mandalay, tropical myitkyina, completed brig peshawar, 2 x supply durban, TP fiji; Control:depot korugh, ulundi,; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:622; Colony:us state, siam state, france prussia crisis resolved 878/34, merch kyzilkum, 2 x demo, bribes tahiti, khota bharu, kuantan, kuala lumpur, samarkand, bokhara, qarsi, merv, kuchka, geog kilwa, austria swer venice, ;
166. Event:cape town +6, okinawa, yemen; Battle:; Movement:accra, kaapstadt, korugh, ; New unit:2 x native regt trained, completed coal NW, consulate tashkent, outpost lahore, putao, myitkyina, dibrugarh, tawang, haka, magwe, lashio, taunggyi, kyaukse, mossel, korough, faizabad, kabul balkh, ; Control:; System:trans supplies, unsupplied ; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:619; Colony:state agreed us, siam, forge CB SAR, geog failed morogoro, 2 x demo, bribes fiji, prussia merch mbanza, ;
167. Event:troops; Battle:; Movement:natal, south west, ulundi, ladysmith, kokand, freetown, swazi, ; New unit:anchorage trucial, baluchistan, completed brig peshawar, exploit mandalay; Control:annex 26 soldiers, 785 money; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:619; Colony:declared war SAR, Persia, state expired siam, usa, 2 x demo, schools kabul, peshawar, qatar, dubai, katmandu, rajkot, vizagapatam, nizamabad, aurangabad, bombay, sringar, colony kashmir, netherlands bribe sorong, portugal natural malange, rebels thessalia join greece, tanganyika 4, british guyana 7,;
168. Event:east india company army rebels, nepal intervenes, great mutiny in india, annamite; Battle:; Movement:south west, kaapstadt, faizabad, lydenburg, bombay, ; New unit:coal, completed div peshawar, 3 x art south west, 2 x supply durban; Control:lost delhi, meerut, agra; System:trans supplies, unsupplied; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:620; Colony:2 x demo, merch kyzilorda, cede samarkand, fiji, kyber, explored rub, tele kurnool, chitadroog, colonists trivandrum, madras, bangalore, merch failed samarkand, kuchka, france colonists saigon, rebels sivas joined turkey, tasmania 7, ;

Notes:
3. Persia declared war on Afghanistan, as I had a defnsive alliance with them I gained a CB, which I decided to use.
4. Turkmenistan has become a protectorate and I am moving some brigades up to garrison the area.
5. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, I am hoping to advance into this area. Massed 6 divisions for this.
6. Added supply trains to explorers to advance and supply, this has not gone well, the supply trains use too much supply. Now they have mostly disappeared through lack of supply. Back to the drawing board on how to do this.
7. Manufactured a CB against SAR and then declared war on them, I have three columns of native warriors that move twice as fast as my regulars and four columns of regulars. The SAR army is gathered at Pretoria and has four commandos and an artillery regiment, about 100 combat power. My plan is to take every other province and send the boys in to batter Pretoria. Need to take Lydenburg Depot which is currently under siege.
8. The Indian mutiny has started and Delhi and two other provinces have fallen so far, I will scrape together some forces and let them close off and contain and then crush this revolt.

Progress:
Gained 574 PP in quarter, target grew by 1364; to date 26914 against 27436. So will achieve target in -1 quarters. Victory by prestige points in -3 quarters.
France is now second again. This was achieved with the crisis with Prussia.

Position Summary:
Have added 126 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 1 ahead of my target of one per turn. The Indian mutineers have taken several structures, urgent action is required to restore the situation.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 98%. Militancy 0%, Education 95%. Sent in the troops this quarter to reduce militancy.
The value of my stocks is 22,340; previous quarter 20,463.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 100. So now strongest.
Start of quarter needed 335 hits replaced, end of quarter 411. One class of ship is the main problem merchants (217). The other problem is the losses in supply wagons supporting exploration in Africa.

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 29 5 7
Casualties 40644 26696
% win 71%
Loss per battle 991 651 52%
164. retreat birjand

Trade board:
At the start satisfaction gain 63% goods sold 625, by the end 58% and 620.
Delivering 55% of luxuries.

Colonial office:
dominion halifax, colony kashmir,
explored rub,

Foreign office:
Relations France(34), Prussia(40), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(7), Japan(18), Italy(28), Turkey(86), China(-24), Belgium(32), Denmark(47), Greece(37), Netherlands(35), Portugal(38), Spain(25), Sweden(30), Brazil(40), Chile(39)
68 overall loss over 18 countries. China suddenly switched and for four turns disappeared from the F10 screen, I must have really upset them. forge Casus Belli on SAR, declared war SAR, Persia, Indian Mutiny.
france prussia crisis resolved 878/34,

Taiping war:
162. China 430k casualties 31k
168. China 434k casualties 4k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Transvaal
3. Pretoria
8. Duala
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kirgistan
12. Tibet

I have demonstrated my supreme mastery by declaring war on Transvaal and Persia on the same turn the Indian Mutiny kicks off.

whoops.

One of the many things I do like about PoN is the way it portrays poor terrain, not just as a movement/combat malus but as a real obstacle to anything but the lightest and weakest of units. So by the time your supply wagons make the journey, you find they have eaten their own food.

Could this be your first real challenge? I mean, taken individually, none of these conflicts amount to much, but having three wars simultaneously, plus your mucking about in Central Asia... That sounds like overstretch to me (go ahead, prove me utterly wrong ;)).

Could you take the forces earmarked for the Central Asian Rebel Reduction Program and redeploy them to India (seems a bit more urgent at this time), or would it take too long to get them back in theater (and back in shape)?

Looking forward to the next few turns - they promise to be action-packed! :)

whoops.

One of the many things I do like about PoN is the way it portrays poor terrain, not just as a movement/combat malus but as a real obstacle to anything but the lightest and weakest of units. So by the time your supply wagons make the journey, you find they have eaten their own food.

I also like the way terrain works properly, my army for invading rebel held central asia has been slowly advancing towards the border for six months, building depots and hoping the rebels holding the passes with four units backed by guns will move off.
I africa the supply wagons are hurrying back to the coast and several elements have already been lost.
I think the only way to do this is with military occupation and explore from there.
So I will wait to do this until the "little wars" are resolved, that is the title of a book by H.G.Wells about playing with toy soldiers.....

Could this be your first real challenge? I mean, taken individually, none of these conflicts amount to much, but having three wars simultaneously, plus your mucking about in Central Asia... That sounds like overstretch to me (go ahead, prove me utterly wrong ;)).

Could you take the forces earmarked for the Central Asian Rebel Reduction Program and redeploy them to India (seems a bit more urgent at this time), or would it take too long to get them back in theater (and back in shape)?

Looking forward to the next few turns - they promise to be action-packed! :)

I hope they won't amount to much, me versus a sixth of the world's population.

The thing is once you have committed forces to out of the way places it takes a long time to get them back

In SAR I outnumber them 5:1 so I think that needs to be quickly finished.

In Persia the country makes it very difficult so I will go for coastal and border occupation, the major difficulty is their troops appear to be better than mine so this could be tricky. Also, the troops I was developing for this are now needed for India.

In India there is uncertainty as I need to contain and constrict the rebel areas and then bring up my siege gun fro Calcutta. I have stripped the troops from India to invade Central Asia and it would take me three months to bring them back, so most action will need to be local defense forces in India backed by newly raised formations. I will strip garrisons from elsewhere and rush them to India to build a massive counter-attack.

It would get more interesting if China and Russia decided to take advantage, but the plucky Tommy will overcome....

Fourth quarter 1856

First quarter 1857

Quarter highlights:
After a long time waiting for something to start I got bored and declared war on Persia and Transvaal. On the same turn the Indian Mutiny started, also I am fighting rebel held provinces in central asia.

So I give you not one war, not two wars, not three wars but four wars, real value for money.

My plan against the rebels in central asia was to send in overwhelming force and take Kashgar as the gateway. This has gone horribly wrong in two terribly one sided battles I lost most of three divisions. This is the worst military disaster I have ver managed, 10:1 casualty ratio with me losing 38k. I think the next attempt will bypass Kashgar.

My plan against Persia consisted of building up a large force and using it to invade the coastal provinces, this has been put on hold whilst waiting for the forces that have been diverted to fight the Indian Mutiny. As a token I probed with one brigade and occupied a border town of Zahedan.

My plan against the Indian Mutiny consisted of gathering what forces I had and russhing them to contain the rebels. This went badly as more rebels kept appearing. I have now built and scraped forces to create an army based out of Bombay advancing North to Delhi, a force from Calcutta advancing west, a force from Peshawar advancing East and a force in Lucknow advancing South. It begins to look as though the rebellion may be contained.

The attack on Transvaal involved great cleverness, I formed my forces on the border and advanced straight towards the enemy, then assaulted their defences and destoyed all their forces. For this my comanders received three commendations between them.

Exploring Africa has gone horribly wrong, after my explorers ran out of supplies last time I attached some supply wagons and sent them in again. The supply wagons used up their supplies and have mostly disappeared due to lack of supplies as they rush back to the coast.

Uzbekistan, the colonial penetration is growing and will soon be able to declare a protectorate.

China has continued become more and more angry with me and I have aquired a CB against them. This could mean war?

My Plans:
Short
SAR Turn 168, storm Lydenburg, send impis to take Mosega and Thoboyandu, supply to Mosega to build depot, move up three regular columns to Lydenburg.
Persia Turn 168, do nothing.
Central Asia Turn 168, attack Kashgar defenders have 153 combat power, send in three divisions, support with one supply.
India Turn 168, move division down from peshawar, move division up from Bombay, move nepal army to attack from east, send fleet to pickup foreces from Dar-es-salaam
Clean up Turkmenistan
Medium
Exploring Africa
Uzbekistan
Long
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.

Actions by turn:
168. 2 x demo, 3 x colonists, 2 x tele, 3 x merch, 3 x cede, 1 x protectorate
169. 2 x demo, 5 x missionaries, 2 x merch, 3 x gems
170. 2 x demo, 2 x merch, coffee
171. 2 x demo, 8 x bribe, 3 x explore,
172. 2 X DEMO, 1 X MISSION, 2 X EXPLORE, 3 x merch, 1 x bribe,
173. 2 x demo, 1 x merch,

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
169. Event:the sikhs, revolt in punjab, bhopal revolt, mutiny in dinapore; Battle:lydenburg depot 1537/7150 win, peshawar 51/1691 win, panipat 1332/2665 win, kashgar 19167/1537 draw, kashgar 17758/2101 lose,; Movement:lydenburg, gwalior, kaapstadt, cawnpore, dar-es-salaam, attock, kashgar, mombassa, gorakhpur, gilgit, mosega, thoboyandu; New unit:mustered peshawar, attack, panipat, calcutta, completed brig bombay, div bombay, schools kabul, peshawar, qatar, dubai, katmandu, rajkot, vizagapatam, nizamabad, aurangabad, bombay, sringar, governor srinagar, ; Control:annex 25 soldiers 795 money, lydenburg depot, lost jaipur, amristar, gaya, mangalore, baghalpur; System:williams congratulated; Trade:tea kolhapur; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:616; Colony:nepal peace, home counties, east anglia, lahore, cawnpore, allahabad, rajpur, vizagapatam, kharsawan, dacca, , city faizabad, sukkur, trois rivieres, merch yarkand, khiva, karakum, merch failed karakum, kyzilkum, 2 x demo, mission kyber, faizabad, balkh, herat, bamyan, colony rangoon, prussia merch mbanza, turkey merch dayr, ;

170. Event:zanzibar, education, austria rejected urban transportation, +2 repl,; Battle:lahore 1435/1845 win, indore 717/4202 win, gwalior 3433/5227 win, cawnpore 14196/5815 lose, bhopal 461/512 lose, rawalpindi 1947/1076 win, bhopal 563/1486 draw, cawnpore 153/0 draw,; Movement:supply falaba destroyed, makkah,agra, lucknow, cawnpore, lydenburg, bilaspur, bhopal, attock, lahore, singapore, dalbandin, ; New unit:3 x gems, mustered indore, gwalior, lahore, indore, bhopal, lucknow, cawnpore, allahabad, rewah, nagpur, bardwan, dacca, nasik, quetta, agra, sringar, completed 2 x art bombay, anchorage trucial, baluchistan, gems mandalay; Control:agra; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.54; Sold:602; Colony:kalat peace, local france, russia, japan, belgium, denmark, greece, netherlands, portugal, spain, brazil, chile,local expired sweden, turkey, prussia, 2 x demo, merch failed yarkand, shymknet, france tele antilles, prussia tele brandenburg, usa tele cascades, nepal 5, burma 6,;

171. Event:bugis, yemeni, italy drains,; Battle:agra 9430/2255 lose,; Movement:amritsar, kokand, gwalior, mosega, bombay, nakuru, attock, lucknow, lydenburg, hoshangabad, dar-es-salaam, korugh, south west; New unit:coffee, completed brig bombay, siege bombay, mission herat, balkh, bamyan, faizabad, kyber, governor rangoon,; Control:revolt mukalla; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.59; Sold:603; Colony:kashmir peace, austria state baden, local prussia, sweden, turkey, CB expired china, explore failed halaban, merch karakum, yarkand, 2 x demo, merch failed yarkand, bokhara, bribes qarshi, ashgabat, merv, kuchka, walvis, tahiti, khota bhoru, kuantan, kuala lumpur, roads hadramut, falklands 9, ;

172. Event:; Battle:pretoria 0/205 won,; Movement:gwalior, tanga, lahore, zahedan, transvaal, natal, springbok, mombassa, kaapstadt, mosega,; New unit:completed brig bardwan, div bombay; Control:rebel attock, depot mosega, kokand, zahedan,; System:trans supplies, baron seaton congratulated; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:603; Colony:CB expired persia, explore failed karasberg, halaban, merch takla makan, tarim, hotan, yarkand, merch failed hotan, karakum, karakoram, missionary failed sringar, 2 x demo, TP failed qarshi, bribes bokhara, natrual morogoro, france cede antananarivo, austria tele klienpolen, austria serwe osterreich, rebels birjand joined persia, ulundi 4,;

173. Event:belgium roads; Battle:pretoria 11275/7636 won, pretoria 922/63 won, rwalpindi 615/615 won,; Movement:gwalior, trasnvaal, tashkent, klerksdorp, calcutta, cawnpore, nasik, panipat; New unit:shipbuilding, exploit, mustered gorakhpur, jumla, sringar, completed brig patna, brig rewah,; Control:pretoria; System:artillery SAR, seaton congratulated, seaton promoteable; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:604; Colony:local expired china, austria, merch samoa, marshalls, hawaii, 2 x demo, explore failed dithakong, merch failed takla makan, turkey merch mosul, ;

174. Event:brunei; Battle:hadramut 102/717 win, allahabad 717/1076 win,; Movement:ulundi, amritsar, agra, jaipur, allahabad, bardwan, ; New unit:completed brig gwalior, div bombay, div surat,; Control:lost agra, depot tashkent, captured agra; System:france prussia crisis, trans supplies, ; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:607; Colony:local austria, china, local not valid austria, denmark local holstein, merch hotan, 2 x demo, cede bokhara, kuchka, merv, customs failed pretoria, france tele cayenne, prussia merch songea, russia colonists irkutsk, ;

Notes:
3. Worst military disaster since first Afghan War, three divisions destroyed in Kashgar.
4. Hard fighting against mutineers, I think I have just about contained them.
5. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, I am still hoping to advance into this area. Will avoid Kashgar.
6. War against Transvaal has gone well, thier army has been eliminated, now to see if they will accept a sensible peace?
7. Have occupied one province in Persia, they have failed to sue for peace?

Progress:
Gained 1205 PP in quarter, target grew by 500; to date 28119 against 27936. So will achieve target in 0 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 3 quarters.
Russia is now second again.

Position Summary:
Have added 130 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 1 behind my target of one per turn. The Indian mutineers have taken several structures, urgent action is required to restore the situation.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 98%. Militancy 1%, Education 96%. Sent in education this quarter to reduce militancy.
The value of my stocks is 24,618; previous quarter 22,340.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 94. So now strongest.
Start of quarter needed 411 hits replaced, end of quarter 296. One class of ship is the main problem merchants (197).

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 42 9 10
Casualties 126455 74570
% win 69%
Loss per battle 2073 1222 70%
169. lydenburg depot 1537/7150 win, peshawar 51/1691 win, panipat 1332/2665 win, kashgar 19167/1537 draw, kashgar 17758/2101 lose,
170. lahore 1435/1845 win, indore 717/4202 win, gwalior 3433/5227 win, cawnpore 14196/5815 lose, bhopal 461/512 lose, rawalpindi 1947/1076 win, bhopal 563/1486 draw, cawnpore 153/0 draw,
171. agra 9430/2255 lose,
172. pretoria 0/205 won,
173. pretoria 11275/7636 won, pretoria 922/63 won, rwalpindi 615/615 won,
174. hadramut 102/717 win, allahabad 717/1076 win,

Trade board:
At the start satisfaction gain 58% goods sold 620, by the end 53% and 607.
Delivering 55% of luxuries.

Colonial office:
colony rangoon,

Foreign office:
Relations France(34), Prussia(40), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(7), Japan(18), Italy(28), Turkey(86), China(-24), Belgium(32), Denmark(47), Greece(37), Netherlands(35), Portugal(38), Spain(25), Sweden(30), Brazil(40), Chile(39)
Relations France(33), Prussia(42), Austria(43), US(100), Russia(9), Japan(19), Italy(28), Turkey(93), China(-70), Belgium(33), Denmark(46), Greece(40), Netherlands(38), Portugal(38), Spain(29), Sweden(30), Brazil(40), Chile(43)
20 overall loss over 18 countries. China has disappeared from the F10 screen, I must have really upset them.
174. france prussia crisis,

Taiping war: