• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I notice the list is straying a little beyond the confines of the game itself. ;)

Since one of your stated goals is to protect your allies - who are your allies? Do you have any formal alliances, or is it more informal (along the lines of: I won't let France/Turkey/whoever fall if they end up at war)? I know you consider Russia your foe (and rightfully so - menacing the good peoples of Europe and threatening your Indian possessions by getting dangerously close to Afghanistan! I mean, what's a few thousand miles of desert going to do to stop them, once the Russians decide to invade India?), but are there any other major powers you are concerned about?

I notice the list is straying a little beyond the confines of the game itself. ;)

Since one of your stated goals is to protect your allies - who are your allies? Do you have any formal alliances, or is it more informal (along the lines of: I won't let France/Turkey/whoever fall if they end up at war)? I know you consider Russia your foe (and rightfully so - menacing the good peoples of Europe and threatening your Indian possessions by getting dangerously close to Afghanistan! I mean, what's a few thousand miles of desert going to do to stop them, once the Russians decide to invade India?), but are there any other major powers you are concerned about?

Perhaps we need another committee to review the list, may even allow a free vote?

Indeed, good question about allies, my list of allies is indeed short, USA.
Britain at this time seems to have been going through a period of "doing the right thing", so I am trying to re-create this feeling of possibly getting involved if any major or semi-major is attacked. Certainly a stiff note would have to be sent.

With regards to Russia, they sent missonaries to Kabul and started to encroach on my area in central asia. So action will definitely be referred to a committe for study.

I am very concerned about France as they continually use colonial measures against the same place Antananarivo, they must have cracked up.

Italy, Portugal, Spain and Prussia have clearly not understood the bit about spheres of influence, Africa is mine except for the bit in the top left corner where I will graciously allow them to play.

Netherlands must be encouraged to hand their possessions in SE Asia over for safe keeping.

It is so much easier when everything is one colour.

yep, your replacement load really is a challenge, and in the true tradition of this list its always good to extend the scope ...

It is quite interesting as looking further I have a fleet in Chile which needs replacements but is obviously not getting any, perhaps I should have withdrawn it earlier?
Also, the main load is now two types of ships, light ships and transports, one has had 4 replacements for some time but has still not got better, the other seems to quickly eat replacements as I add them and only drops slowly. The other area with 150 needed is artillery which is gradually improving.
The main constraint in buying replacements is lack of mfg.

Second quarter 1855

Second quarter 1855

My Plans:
Short
Clean up baluchistan.
Medium
Exploring Africa
Colonial pentration horn of africa
Target Pretoria and Transvaal
Clean up Tanga
Long
Continue to pump out naval demonstrations and geographical expeditions and asking native chiefs to cede to gain PP's.
Develop the economy.
Improve relations with foreigners.
Add new colonies.
Expand up to border with Persia
Expand into central asia to forestall russia
Rebuild the army

Actions by turn:

Key:
Brig is short for brigade
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
demo for Naval demo (cost 20 money get 20 PP)
geog Geographical Expedition (cost 125 capital get 100 PP)
PP prestige points
Number after province means increase of colonial pentration
Province on own under colonial means gained in size of city

Results by turn:
127. Event:aukland +12, montreal +8, okinawa, brunei, aceh, yemen, tax based electoral census, roads, drains,; Battle:; Movement:walvis, pegu; New unit:completed cotton agra; Control:ulundi; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:568; Colony:saxony state austria, peace expired burma, explore failed iringa, merch kulab, explored nugouses, colony simla, protectorate qatar, ulundi, russia miss alatou, rebels yazhou joined china, ;
128. Event:siam, germany rejected medal, RR panama; Battle:; Movement:south west, arakan,; New unit:completed 2 x explore, minerals wales; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:585; Colony:state expired us lasting, local expired brazil, spain, portugal, explore failed iringa, natrual duala, spain supress manila, cape colony 10, queensland 8, ;
129. Event:germany medal, germany urban transportation; Battle:rebels retreated kalat,; Movement:black sea trade, kalat,; New unit:textile, completed consulate ulundi, , qatar, tea jodhpur, RR jodhpur, jainalmer,; Control:; System:pipelines; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:586; Colony:local portugal, brazil, spain, local expired netherlands, greece, explore failed iringa, explored wagadugu, colony freetown, austria sewer venezia, russia miss kabul, rebels kalmuk have joined rebel nation, ;
130. Event:50k Aus and NZ, 131K Can, 20K SA, brunei, russia secondary schools; Battle:rebels retreated Dalbandin; Movement:kalahari, kararchi, dalbandin,; New unit:2 x RR; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:588; Colony:austria state wurtembourg, us state, saxony local austria, merch failed sarawak, sanaa, france treaty antanaarivo, russia miss shymkent, rebels killkya joined turkey, rebels balekkunmangi joined china, ;
131. Event:treaty of peshawar talks, new trade treaty siam offer, abbysinnia, masai, korea, referendums, RR schleswig,; Battle:; Movement:gulf og guinea, duala,; New unit:2 x RR, completed gonvernor freetown,; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:582; Colony:us state agreed, explore failed tsumbeh, merch karyn, bushkek, cede hoedeida, hadramut, quetta, TP trucial, merch failed trucial, geog morogoro, france cede antananarivo, prussia ethno samoa, prussia tele brandenburg, rebels gruznyia joined rebel nation, rebels mugla joined turkey, ;
132. Event:cape town +6, sioux,; Battle:; Movement:south west, ibadan, quetta,; New unit:4 x anchorage, completed cotton jodhpur; Control:duala, rebels TP aden, hadramut,; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:567; Colony:duala warriors mustered, russia state austria, state expired us, explore failed bussa, tsumbeh, iringa, yuande, bamenda, protectorate failed aden, miss mandalay, moulmein, prome, pegu, rangoon, roads belyando, cairns, townsville, rockhampton, hay, riverina, colonists bardwan, lahore, gorakhpur, tele cawnpore, agra, france colonists saigon, austria sewer osterreich, italy miss massawa, spain suppress el rif, newfoundland 9, manitoba 8, ;

Notes:
1. Mostly just paying for replacements.
2. Miner rebellion in Melbourne, sent brigade there. The option has not disapeared?
3. Gathered an army and sent it into Kalat and dalbandin, the rebels fled.
4. Russians sent missionaries to Kabul and central asia, clearly action is required.
5. Money is now flooding so invested in various reform options.
6. Slipped back on prestige points, big rise in target on turn 132, 3 times the normal turn gain. Not sure what caused this. Love the way this happens.
7. Passed roads and drainage, when I looked neither could be used.
8. Passed tax based electoral census, referendums.
9. Spending money on all sorts of colonial options.
10. Been bad at recording my actions, will try to start this again next turn.
11. Noticed line of rebel provinces on persian border, will try to occupy these.
12. Rebels in Aden destroyed my protectorate, need to send some boys.
13. Russia has a major rebellion in the caucasus, several provinces in rebel hands.
14. Sent two explorers to Dualla and they accidentally took the place, need to send a brigade to reinforce.

Progress:
Gained 920 PP in quarter, target grew by 836; to date 19,058 against 19,660. So will achieve target in -2 quarters. Victory by prestige points in -8 quarters.

Summary:
Have added 107 economic structures, 3 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 16 ahead of my target of one per turn.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 96%. Militancy 0%, Education 95%. Spent some money on electoral options and signed treaty with siam.
The value of my stocks is 15,751, previous quarter 13,528.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 104. Think this is the effect of missing replacements. After all this replacing the combat power of a typical brigade seems to be about the same?
Start of quarter needed 1,069 hits replaced, end of quarter 935. Two classes of ships are the main problems, light ships and transports, also fleet in Chile does not seem to get any replacements. Worried about moving it as the light ships are all red.

Navy Board:
Develop bases across the world.
Won first naval battle off the Arakan Coast.
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76
Fleets: 2 transport fleets

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 22 4 5
Casualties 31577 19842
% win 71%
Loss per battle 1019 640
Brigades this quarter 0, to date 52
129. rebels retreated kalat,
130. rebels retreated Dalbandin

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.
At the start satisfaction gain 57% goods sold 581, by the end 58% and 567.
So satisfaction gain is holding steady. Delivering 100% of food and 56% of luxuries. Improved food satisfaction by upping the % my populace can buy on the F4 screen.

Colonial office:
Establish more colonies and protectorates
Develop provinces in colonies
Gain maximum prestige points
colony simla, protectorate qatar, ulundi, colony freetown,

Foreign office:
Develop good relations with friends.
Ensure key allies are protected
Relations France(46), Prussia(37), Austria(41), US(100), Russia(8), Japan(31), Italy(38), Turkey(66), China(25), Belgium(44), Denmark(48), Greece(50), Netherlands(47), Portugal(34), Spain(24), Sweden(26), Brazil(31), Chile(52)
Relations France(45), Prussia(36), Austria(41), US(100), Russia(12, Japan(31), Italy(39), Turkey(63), China(26), Belgium(45), Denmark(51), Greece(51), Netherlands(46), Portugal(35), Spain(25), Sweden(28), Brazil(32), Chile(51)
9 overall gain over 18 countries. Running out of diplomats, get 36 a year, this would support local for 18 countries, need 12 for cede options and several for colony and protectorate, so probably have to drop several from support.

Taiping war:
36. China 6k casualties, taiping war started 6k
42. China 63k casualties 57k
48. China 78k casualties 15k
54. China 90k casualties 12k
60. China 166k casualties 76k
66. China 238k casualties 72k
72. China 246k casualties 8k
78. China 264k casualties 18k
84. China 271k casualties 7k
90. China 271k casualties 0k
96. China 281k casualties 10k
102. China 284k casualties 3k
108. China 317k casualties 33k
114. China 324k casualties 7k
120. China 331k casualties 7k
126. China 352k casualties 21k
132. China 371k casualties 19k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Russia
3. Transvaal
4. Tanga
5. Pretoria
6. Hadramut
7. Mukalla
8. Developers, for causing all the replacements need.....
9. paradox necromancers for getting the date of the opening of the new houses of parliament wrong
10. Aden

I'm not sure (& it may depend on your game options) but quite often in the AGE games units only take on replacements when on a depot (with supply). I've not seen this in my game but then my units haven't moved since the start of the game, but is quite an issue in say Wars in America. If so, I'd get that fleet into a port (to regain cohesion) then back to your nearest depot for replacements ... equally I may just be very wrong.

Does look like a clash with Russia is on the cards ...

I'm not sure (& it may depend on your game options) but quite often in the AGE games units only take on replacements when on a depot (with supply). I've not seen this in my game but then my units haven't moved since the start of the game, but is quite an issue in say Wars in America. If so, I'd get that fleet into a port (to regain cohesion) then back to your nearest depot for replacements ... equally I may just be very wrong.

Does look like a clash with Russia is on the cards ...

Yes, I will trawl through the fleets and move them back.
The fleet in Chile is based in Valparaiso and clearly will have to move.
I think I will move it as individual units as the nearest base is Port Stanley in the Falklands, then see if they survive the cape and start to rebuild.
Anyway, from a game point of view I do n0ot really need to hold back any more as at least some transports are at full strength so I can send them into action and most troops are now at full strength.
So watch out world here I come, until the next replacement bash.

Third quarter 1855

My Plans:
Short
Clean up baluchistan.
Medium
Exploring Africa
horn of africa
Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
Long
Continue to pump out naval demonstrations and geographical expeditions and asking native chiefs to cede to gain PP's.
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.
Rebuild the army

Actions by turn:
132. 5 x explore, 3 x cede, 2 x merch, 2 x tele, 2 colonists, 5 x missionaries, 6 x road, protectorate dubai, coal NW,
133. 4 x explore, 1 x demo, 4 x road, tropical puerto cabezas,
134. 2 x demo, 2 x explore, minerals wales
135. 2 x demo, 2 x explore, 10 x bribe, 10 x school,
136. 2 x demo, iron
137. 2 x demo, merch, geog,

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
133. Event:siam trade treaty, melbourne +6; Battle:; Movement:kankan, sao tome coast, singapore,; New unit:coal, completed TP trucial, tea bikaner,; Control:; System:; Trade:dyes nagpur, minerals esperance, ; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:595; Colony:yorkshire, kabul, quebec, city ghazni, chitral, chitadroog, coimbatore, merch duala, sarawak, explore failed iringa, tsumbeh, yaunde, bussa, TP kokand, roads whyalla, weipa, nelso, hokitikia, geog arusha, us merch inland NW, us tele cascades, russia miss agtau, russia colonists irkutsk, netehrlands colonists palembang, british columbia 6, ;
134. Event:; Battle:; Movement:duala, south, mombassa, dar-es-salaam, dalbandin, gulf of guinea,; New unit:tropical, completed tea jodhpur, mission rangoon, pegu, prome, mandalay, moulmein,; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:594; Colony:demo, explore failed tsumbeh, yaunde, TP tashkent, france tele antilles, russia roads pavlodar, south australia 10,;
135. Event:retired percy, moresby, godwin, new bruce, lyons, ship building on target, france drains, referendums, germany drains, austria telecommunications, italy rejected roads, new objective malta,; Battle:rebels retreated tanga; Movement:tanga, mafia island, sao tome, zanzibar, falklands; New unit:minerals, completed TP kolkand, cotton karachi, anchorage rajkot, kolhapur, jessore, ghitaggong; Control:depot dalbandin; System:austen VA; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:592; Colony:prussia local austria, local expired prussia, explore failed iringa, tsumbeh, 2 x demo, missonaries cawnpore, lucknow, allahabad, gorakhpur, benares, patna, darjeeling, baghalpur, bardwan, calcutta, colony winnepeg, protectorate kuching, gujarat 6, bijapur 7, bhopal 7, ;
136. Event:italy rejected roads, japan roads, belgium rejected drains; Battle:tanga 1076/666 won, duala 153/666 won,; Movement:gulf of guinea, bombay, karachi, zahedan, sao tome, south west,; New unit:mechanical, completed supply karachi, TP tashkent,; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:593; Colony:zanzibar ceased hostilities, local expired sweden, japan, chile, explore failed tsumbeh, 2 x demo, france treaty antanaarivo, austria tele kleinpolen, spain tele el rif, rebels thessalia joined greece, ;
137. Event:peshawar treaty, france referendum, russia roads, germany roads, italy rejected roads,; Battle:duala 205/358 lost,; Movement:south china, mafia island, home counties, bafoussam, tanga,; New unit:iron, completed supply karachi, school lucknow, cawnpore, groakhpur, allahabad, patna, benares, baghalpur, bradwan, calcutta, darjeeling, consulate kuching, governor winnipeg; Control:duala lost, herat, kandahar, kabul,; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:594; Colony:italy state two scillies, merch almaty, 2 x demo, merch failed sarawak, colony regina, geog nakuru, france cede antananarivo, prussia merch mbanza, rebels geju joined rebel nation, brunei 5, ;
138. Event:; Battle:evaded duala; Movement:gulf of guinea, singapore, sao tome, karachi, ; New unit:mechanical, ; Control:depot tanga, zahedan 0; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:592; Colony:local expired russia, merch shymkent, 2 x demo, missionaries nagpur, nizamabad, quetta, jaipur, jodhpur, cede quetta, trucial, sanaa, customs not valid, france tele cayenne, russia merch bokhara, russia miss karyn, berar 6;

Notes:
1. Mostly just paying for replacements.
2. Miner rebellion in Melbourne, sent brigade there. The option has not disapeared?
3. Attempt to occupy persian border provinces that had rebelled failed as they suddenly ceased to be rebels and sprouted large persian armies.
4. Expanding CP in Turkmenistan.
5. Money is now flooding so invested in various options.
6. Slipped back on prestige points, big rise in target on turn 132, 3 times the normal turn gain. Not sure what caused this. Love the way this happens. Seems it could have been a gain for France as they are now second.
7. Passed roads and drainage, when I looked neither could be used.
8. Driven out of duala.
9. Spending money on all sorts of colonial options.

Progress:
Gained 920 PP in quarter, target grew by 836; to date 19,058 against 19,660. So will achieve target in 3 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 13 quarters.
France has overtaken Russia and is now second again.

Summary:
Have added 113 economic structures, 3 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 16 ahead of my target of one per turn.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 97%. Militancy 1%, Education 94%. Spent some money on electoral options and signed treaty with afghanistan.
The value of my stocks is 15,607, previous quarter 15,751.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 106. Think this is the effect of missing replacements. After all this replacing the combat power of a typical brigade seems to be about the same?
Start of quarter needed 935 hits replaced, end of quarter 608. Two classes of ships are the main problems, light ships (160) and transports (350). Found that 9 merchant fleets needed replacements, so rotating 2 merchant fleets around to do this. Found 9 war fleets with lots of replacements needed,appears to be those in lower value harbours have not received replacements. Also, fleet in Chile has not received any, will move it when the weather gets better.

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 24 5 5
Casualties 33011 21532
% win 71%
Loss per battle 971 633 53%
Brigades this quarter 0, to date 52
135. rebels retreated tanga
136. tanga 1076/666 won, duala 153/666 won,
137. duala 205/358 lost,
138. evaded duala

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.
At the start satisfaction gain 58% goods sold 567, by the end 58% and 592.
So satisfaction gain is holding steady. Delivering 55% of luxuries. Improved food satisfaction by upping the % my populace can buy on the F4 screen.

Colonial office:
colony winnipeg, regina. Protectorate kuching.

Foreign office:
Relations France(45), Prussia(36), Austria(41), US(100), Russia(12), Japan(31), Italy(39), Turkey(63), China(26), Belgium(45), Denmark(51), Greece(51), Netherlands(46), Portugal(35), Spain(25), Sweden(28), Brazil(32), Chile(51)
Relations France(44), Prussia(36), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(13), Japan(31), Italy(39), Turkey(66), China(25), Belgium(45), Denmark(52), Greece(49), Netherlands(47), Portugal(38), Spain(25), Sweden(28), Brazil(32), Chile(48)
3 overall gain over 18 countries. Running out of diplomats, get 36 a year, this would support local for 18 countries, need 12 for cede options and several for colony and protectorate, so probably have to drop several from support. Have stopped renewing local support, need to identify core options and just do them. Need 5 diplomats for CB against Transvaal, and same against Pretoria.

Taiping war:
138. China 394k casualties 23k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Russia
3. Transvaal
4. Pretoria
5. Hadramut
6. Mukalla
7. Developers, for causing all the replacements need.....
8. paradox necromancers for getting the date of the opening of the new houses of parliament wrong
9. Aden
10. Duala

Russia is starting to loom rather large. Quite some nerve to send missionaries to Kabul (not quite sure how effective a strategy that would be in real life, never mind that, but clearly meddling in your backyard). I think it's high time they get themselves forcibly removed from the list. ;)

I've noticed that diplomats are quite a constraint, you really can't just blanket the globe and need to pick your targets with some care. See that Russia is at #2 ... getting serious

Yes, in typical British fashion I have not been planning so instead I stopped sending any diplomats out to see what would happen, in the next post I end up with 34....
So now I have anothe rthing to call a committee about, the proper deployment of diplomats by the foreign office.
Indeed, as the other items are dealt with there is an inevtiable rise.
In fact I am already taking action by poking into *****istan, not sure which one as the borders do not appear to agree with the areas.

Russia is starting to loom rather large. Quite some nerve to send missionaries to Kabul (not quite sure how effective a strategy that would be in real life, never mind that, but clearly meddling in your backyard). I think it's high time they get themselves forcibly removed from the list. ;)

I am wondering how to handle this, I suspect creating a buffer protectorate in central asia and occupying siberia and alaska and securing a ring of defensive alliances with Sweden, Prussia, Austria, Turkey and Persia? would be enough?
So perhaps I will re-write the list to make specific targets?
In fact by the end of 1855 I now am the strongest military power.
Looking at the F10 screen I am now number 1 in everything except technology where USA is first with 218 and I am seventh with 216, clearly a place for me to spend money.
So musket rifles and anything else that boosts internal demand.

Fourth quarter 1855

Fourth quarter 1855

My Plans:
Short
Clean up baluchistan.
Medium
Exploring Africa
horn of africa
Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
Long
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.
Rebuild the army

Actions by turn:
138. 2 x demo, 1 x explore, 3 x cede, 5 x missionary,
139. 2 x demo, 1 x merch, 1 x dominion, 3 x explore,
140. 2 x demo, 1 x natural, 1 x protectorate, 15 x outpost, coal,
141. 2 x demo, 1 x explore, 10 x bribe
142. 2 x demo,
143. 2 X DEMO, 10 X SCHOOL, 1 x geog, 1 x merch, coal

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
139. Event:france roads, italy subsidy coal, belgium drains; Battle:; Movement:south west; New unit:completed governor regina; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.62; Sold:596; Colony:customs transvaal, explore failed yaunde , 2 x demo, explored bida, odienne, merch failed duala, dominion quebec, netherlands bribe sorong, sinhia 7, hong kong 7,;
140. Event:afghan, abysinnia, japan, indonesia, germany sewers, italy drains, ; Battle:gulf of indus, baluchistan, falklands, mombassa; Movement:; New unit:completed mission quetta, jodhpur, jaipur, nagpur, nizamabad; Control:; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:591; Colony:austria state prussia, explore failed iringa, lokoja, sikasso, merch duala, 2 x demo, TP failed duala, protectorate dubai, natural duala, russia school argyn, spain road luzon, ;
141. Event:us premium bill,; Battle:; Movement:gulf on indus, gulf of aden, aden,; New unit:coal; Control:depot baluchistan; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:592; Colony:siam state, 2 x demo, bribe toungoo, lashio, mandalay, myitkyina, johore, Kuala lumpur, kuantan, penang. Khota boru, sarawak, explored bafoussam, turkey merch dayr, rebels makedonia joined turkey, ;
142. Event:italy rejected roads; Battle:evaded bafoussam; Movement:sokode; New unit:completed textile avon, consulate dubai,; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:592; Colony:siam state agreed, local expired turkey, us, italy, france, 2 x demo, explored tsumbeh, merch failed karyn, france treaty antananarivo, rebels altushan joined china, nova scotia 8,;
143. Event:; Battle:evaded bafoussam; Movement:gulf of guinea, duala, walvis, bamenda,; New unit:completed chemical wales; Control:annex 677 money,; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:595; Colony:denmark passage holstein, state expired siam, state expired us lasting, merch karyn, 2 x demo, school jessore, chitaggong, arakan, imphal, dacca, rajshan, gauhati, dibrugarh, tawang, timphu, colony edmonton, colony cree-atahbaska, geog kilwa, france cede antanaarivo, portugal colonists bissau, burma 5, new zealand 7,;
144. Event:aceh; Battle:; Movement:bombay, dar-es-salaam, gulf of guinea, home counties; New unit:coal, completed 3 x brig peshawar, coal NW; Control:depot aden; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:592; Colony:merch abomey, 2 x demo, merch failed duala, customs failed transvaal, missionaries magwe, myitkyina, lashio, toungoo, arakan, cede kokand, sarawak, trucial, roads carnarvon, dongara, collie, gawler, nullarbor, esperance, colonists benares, allahabad, cawnpore,tele masulipatam, hyderabad, merch failed bishkek, france colonists saigon, russia missonaries bishkek, rebels batumi joined rebel nation, rajputana 8,;

Notes:
1. Still buying ship replacements.
3. Expanding CP in Turkmenistan.
4. First Dominion Quebec
5. Money is now flooding so invested in various options. Not sure what Missionaries do, but assume it was a British thing to support them?

Progress:
Gained 920 PP in quarter, target grew by 836; to date 19,058 against 19,660. So will achieve target in 2 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 10 quarters.

Summary:
Have added 115 economic structures, 4 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 13 ahead of my target of one per turn. Buying coal mines which are very expensive.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 98%. Militancy 1%, Education 94%.
The value of my stocks is 18,177, previous quarter 15,607.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 98. So now strongest.
Start of quarter needed 608 hits replaced, end of quarter 483. Two classes of ships are the main problems, light ships (106) and transports (317). Found that 9 merchant fleets needed replacements, so rotating 2 merchant fleets around to do this. Found 9 war fleets with lots of replacements needed,appears to be those in lower value harbours have not received replacements. Also, fleet in Chile has not received any, moved it to Falklands slowly getting better.

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 24 5 5
Casualties 33011 21532
% win 71%
Loss per battle 971 633 53%
Brigades this quarter 3, to date 52
142. evaded bafoussam
143. evaded bafoussam

Trade board:
At the start satisfaction gain 58% goods sold 592, by the end 58% and 592.
So satisfaction gain is holding steady. Delivering 55% of luxuries.

Colonial office:
dominion quebec; protectorate dubai; colony edmonton, colony cree-atahbaska
explored bida, odienne; natural society expedition duala; explored tsumbeh; explored bafoussam,; geog kilwa,

Foreign office:
Relations France(44), Prussia(36), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(13), Japan(31), Italy(39), Turkey(66), China(25), Belgium(45), Denmark(52), Greece(49), Netherlands(47), Portugal(38), Spain(25), Sweden(28), Brazil(32), Chile(48)
Relations France(42), Prussia(34), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(12), Japan(29), Italy(36), Turkey(64), China(26), Belgium(42), Denmark(52), Greece(46), Netherlands(45), Portugal(36), Spain(28), Sweden(27), Brazil(36), Chile(45)
16 overall loss over 18 countries. Running out of diplomats, get 36 a year, this would support local for 18 countries, need 12 for cede options and several for colony and protectorate, so probably have to drop several from support. Have stopped renewing local support, need to identify core options and just do them. Need 5 diplomats for CB against Transvaal, and same against Pretoria.

Taiping war:
144. China 397k casualties 3k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Transvaal
3. Pretoria
4. Hadramut
5. Mukalla
6. Developers, for causing all the replacements need.....
7. paradox necromancers for getting the date of the opening of the new houses of parliament wrong
8. Duala
9. Turkmenistan
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kirgistan
12. Tibet
13. Defense treaty Sweden
14. Defense treaty Turkey
15. Defense treaty Prussia
16. Defense treaty Austria

apart from adopting interesting positions ... I think all the missionaries are is a cheap way to get a little bit of CP. For you, prob only of use somewhere you are not too fussed over or where there is a real risk of revolt?

Russia is off the list and the 'stans on it? You are really going for their geopolitical heartlands so think you could well need those treaties you are trying to set up

apart from adopting interesting positions ... I think all the missionaries are is a cheap way to get a little bit of CP. For you, prob only of use somewhere you are not too fussed over or where there is a real risk of revolt?

Russia is off the list and the 'stans on it? You are really going for their geopolitical heartlands so think you could well need those treaties you are trying to set up

Yes the committee decided that we will develop the curtain of iron to screen off Russia:
Sweden
Prussia
Austria
Turkey
Central Asia - protectorate of Great Britain
China

This will allow Great Britain to freely bring the benefits of civilisation to the areas they want, mainly the rest of the world.

Dang. I was going to say that loki could explain the proper use of missionaries to you, but he beat me to it. ;)

Good luck colonizing civilizing <ahem> 'protecting' the various 'Stans. Historically, not the most fertile ground for nationbuilding, but if anyone has the wherewithal for it, it must be 19th century Britain!

Looking at the F10 screen I am now number 1 in everything except technology where USA is first with 218 and I am seventh with 216, clearly a place for me to spend money.

Thanks for this it never occurred to me there was a tooltip breaking down the power ranking (not that I can even see the power ranking for my paltry Sardinia-Piedmont

First quarter 1856

My Plans:
Short
Clean up Horn of Africa.
Medium
Exploring Africa
Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
Long
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.
Rebuild the army

Actions by turn:
2 x demo, 5 x missionary, 2 x tele, 3 x colonists,
2 x demo, 1 x road, 1 x geog, 1 x colony,
2 x demo, 15 outpost, coal, 1 x customs,
2 x demo, 9 x bribe, 1 x natrual,
2 x demo, 4 x road, 1 x bribe, 1 x natural, coal
2 x demo, 1 x geog,

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
145. Event:queen institutes VC, new medal, us banned children,; Battle:; Movement:sao tome, south china MT, freetown, south west, ; New unit:completed brig freetown, south west, school jessore, chitaggong, dacca, rajishan, gauhati, imphal, dibruhgarh, tawang, arakan, timphu, governor edmonton, tropical puerto cabresas; Control:; System:military decorations,; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:605; Colony:panipat, meerut, lucknow, cawnpore, raigarh, colombo, merch samarkand, bishkek, 2 x demo, colony nanaimo, roads basuto, ulundi, darwin, dampier, geog garissa, prussia merch mbanza, ;
146. Event:education passed, rejected new medal, 2 repl, economic sunrise; Battle:singapore, sao tome, lome, ; Movement:; New unit:mustered bintulu, 3 x supply south west, merch fleet south, 3 x supply bombay, minerals wales, mission arakan, magwe, myitkyina, lashio, toungoo,; Control:xhosa revolt beaufort,; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.62; Sold:605; Colony:local prussia, turkey, sweden, 2 x demo, outpost failed mossel, outpost aar, graafniet, bisho, elizabeth, swellendam, worcester, kaapstadt, ulundi, swazi, ladysmith, basuto, brunei, bintulu, kuching, france tele antilles, prussia ethno dar-es-salaam, prussia tele brandenburg, us tele cascades, russia school pavlodar, xhosa revolt crushed, ;
147. Event:diplomatic incident with persia, indochina, aceh, new medal,; Battle:ghaydha 4920 1486 draw; Movement:gulf of guinea, kaapstadt, falklands, south west, coast of yemen, gulf of aden, ghaydah, gulf of mexico MT, mukalla, chitral; New unit:coal, completed div south west, 3 x supply peshawar, governor nanaimo; Control:uprising gilgit,; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:605; Colony:china forge CB, customs transvaal, 2 x demo, bribes kokand, tashkent, faizabad, balkh, kyber, gilgit, quetta, dalbandin, baluchistan, bribes failed chitral, explored iringa, natural failed kyber, merch failed kulab, kokand, russia suppress agtau, kashmir revolt crushed, gambia 5,;
148. Event:; Battle:; Movement:bombay, gulf of guinea, kyber; New unit:completed iron yorkshire, outpost kaapstadt, swellendam, worcester, aar, elziabeth, graafneit, bisho, basuto, ladysmith, ulundi, swazi, kuching, bintulu, brunei, RR karachi, udiapur,; Control:quetta; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.57; Sold:609; Colony:local expired china, belgium, denmark austria, natural failed walvis, merch qarshi, kuchka, merv, bohkara, 2 x demo, protectorate quetta, austria tele kleinpolen, italy merch berbera,;
149. Event:france electoral census, italy roads,; Battle:; Movement:kaapstadt, coast of yemen, northern asia MT, ghaydah, south west, kyber,; New unit:coal, completed RR umarkot, patan,; Control:depot mukalla; System:; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.63; Sold:614; Colony:local austria, china, 2 x demo, geog arusha, france cede antananarivo, rebels iranchar joined persia, ontario 10, ;
150. Event:; Battle:kyber 153/1691 won,; Movement:bombay, singapore; New unit:completed div peshawar, consulate quetta,; Control:depot ghaydah; System:russia crisis sweden, trans supplies,; Trade:lack of coal; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:609; Colony:geog failed arusha, 2 x demo, cede kyaukse, duala, kulab, mission timphu, katmandu, jumla, bhopal, gulbarga, france tele cayenne, russia colonists irkutsk, kamluk joined rebel nation, newfoundland 10,;

Notes:
1. Still buying ship replacements.
3. Expanding CP in Turkmenistan.
4. VC instituted on turn 145, makes troops a lot tougher.
5. Diplomatic incident with Persia, could lead to war?
6. Lack of coal has been a growing problem, so building coal mines, very expensive.
7. China forged a CB against me, what are they planning?

Progress:
Gained 1356 PP in quarter, target grew by 1112; to date 23823 against 24044. So will achieve target in 2 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 11 quarters.

Summary:
Have added 117 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 38 railroads, so 10 ahead of my target of one per turn. Buying coal mines which are very expensive.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 97%. Militancy 1%, Education 96%.
The value of my stocks is 19,672, previous quarter 18,177.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 99. So now strongest.
Start of quarter needed 483 hits replaced, end of quarter 365. Three classes of ships are the main problems,heavy ships (35), light ships (34) and merchants (268). Found that 9 merchant fleets needed replacements, so rotating 2 merchant fleets around to do this.

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 25 5 6
Casualties 38084 24709
% win 69%
Loss per battle 1058 686 54%
Brigades this quarter 3, to date 52
147. ghaydha 4920 1486 draw
150. kyber 153/1691 won,

Trade board:
At the start satisfaction gain 58% goods sold 592, by the end 58% and 609.
So satisfaction gain is holding steady. Delivering 55% of luxuries.

Colonial office:
colony nanaim, protectorate quetta,
explored iringa,

Foreign office:
Relations France(42), Prussia(34), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(12), Japan(29), Italy(36), Turkey(64), China(26), Belgium(42), Denmark(52), Greece(46), Netherlands(45), Portugal(36), Spain(28), Sweden(27), Brazil(36), Chile(45)
Relations France(40), Prussia(38), Austria(42), US(100), Russia(10), Japan(25), Italy(34), Turkey(67), China(21), Belgium(42), Denmark(49), Greece(45), Netherlands(41), Portugal(39), Spain(26), Sweden(29), Brazil(40), Chile(42)
14 overall loss over 18 countries. Running out of diplomats, get 36 a year, this would support local for 18 countries, need 12 for cede options and several for colony and protectorate, so probably have to drop several from support. Have stopped renewing local support, need to identify core options and just do them. Need 5 diplomats for CB against Transvaal, and same against Pretoria.

Taiping war:
144. China 397k casualties 3k
150. China 398k casualties 1k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
2. Transvaal
3. Pretoria
4. Hadramut
8. Duala
9. Turkmenistan
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kirgistan
12. Tibet
13. Defense treaty Sweden
14. Defense treaty Turkey
15. Defense treaty Prussia
16. Defense treaty Austria
17. China, for forging a CB

I'm muddy on my history here, but do you already own Hong Kong? Could the Chinese want that back? If that's not the case, it's hard to see what they think to gain from declaring war on the world's foremost Great Power. Perhaps they need an outlet for their aggression, as the whole Taiping rebellion is slowly dying out?