• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(241325)

Recruit
4 Badges
Dec 22, 2010
  • King Arthur II
  • Lead and Gold
  • Magicka
  • Pillars of Eternity
So I bought the collectors edition a few day ago, I love the game and never had any problems with it. I chose the easiest difficulty because I'm interested in the story, and I don't want to get frustrated.

I never had any problems with the game until I came to the quest where I have to close the nether gate in Dunmonia I think. I have an army almost fully upgraded with 6 bands of archers. But the enemy has like 4 bands of whip beasts and 4 bands of other smaller flying enemys. For some reasons even if I attack one band of whip beasts with all 6 archers, 1 or none of them dies, they get close to my archers and kill them because if they are close, my archers can't shoot anymore. How am I supposed to do this? What are the best units against whip beasts? I can't use magic because the enemy has a very high magic shield. Please if nobody has an idea just give me a cheat and I will use it. I want to love the game but sometimes it just frustrates the hell out of me.

So I bought the collectors edition a few day ago, I love the game and never had any problems with it. I chose the easiest difficulty because I'm interested in the story, and I don't want to get frustrated.

I never had any problems with the game until I came to the quest where I have to close the nether gate in Dunmonia I think. I have an army almost fully upgraded with 6 bands of archers. But the enemy has like 4 bands of whip beasts and 4 bands of other smaller flying enemys. For some reasons even if I attack one band of whip beasts with all 6 archers, 1 or none of them dies, they get close to my archers and kill them because if they are close, my archers can't shoot anymore. How am I supposed to do this? What are the best units against whip beasts? I can't use magic because the enemy has a very high magic shield. Please if nobody has an idea just give me a cheat and I will use it. I want to love the game but sometimes it just frustrates the hell out of me.

Vindicators have a throw spear skill for that.

Magic seems to help as well... Enjoy!

Hi,

I feel your pain. This battle was very frustrating for me, too. The solution is: Don't bring any archers to this battle. Leave your light infantry and light cavalery home, too. The enemy flyers will have a rough time with your heavy armored units, although it will take a while until they drop dead. There are a few battle in which you will encounter mass fliers who will rush for your archers. In some of them you may have a chance to save your archers, if you got two sages with you. But in most cases the best solution is to put your archers (and other light units) in your reserve. This aspect is just poor game design and will hopefully be fixed in the future.

Edit:
HeroCrusher was a bit faster than me with pressing the submit button. ;)
I'd like to comment his statement: In this particular battle, you won't be able to do anything usefull with magic before your archers are down, since the enemy's magic shield and shield boosting abilities are way to strong. Vindicators can do a bit of damage, but only every 120 seconds. It will for sure not help you in this battle (and on most other occasions in which you encounter mass fliers aswell).

Last edited:
Hi,

I feel your pain. This battle was very frustrating for me, too. The solution is: Don't bring any archers to this battle. Leave your light infantry and light cavalery home, too. The enemy flyers will have a rough time with your heavy armored units, although it will take a while until they drop dead. There are a few battle in which you will encounter mass fliers who will rush for your archers. In some of them you may have a chance to save your archers, if you got two sages with you. But in most cases the best solution is to put your archers (and other light units) in your reserve. This aspect is just poor game design and will hopefully be fixed in the future.

Edit:
HeroCrusher was a bit faster than me with pressing the submit button. ;)
I'd like to comment his statement: In this particular battle, you won't be able to do anything usefull with magic before your archers are down, since the enemy's magic shield and shield boosting abilities are way to strong. Vindicators can do a bit of damage, but only every 120 seconds. It will for sure not help you in this battle (and on most other occasions in which you encounter mass fliers aswell).

Interesting... I have been using vindicators and some heavy on norm difficulty to down the mass fliers with no problems so far but I will have to give it a try with more heavy next time to see if it helps... I also leave archers in the reserve on these battles... cheers!

I must disagree with the advice given by Grimmblut about leaving your archers at home and crying poor design.

It is certainly a valid strategy, but why not use the combined arms approach that was designed to protect archers? Specifically, bring along one spearman unit for every archer unit and have the spearmen guard the archers (they will mix together in horde formation). If you are using vindicators, you won't be able to use their javelin attacks while they are guarding archers, but the steady damageoutput from the archers plus the damage from from the defending spearmen warding off aerial attacks more than makes up for it.

It works for me and ought to work for you too, though admittedly I never tried taking 6 units of archers along. In both playthroughs to that point (on challenging, Sage and Champion) I was using 3 units of Pengwyn archers backed up by an equivalent number of Vindicators.

Specifically, bring along one spearman unit for every archer unit and have the spearmen guard the archers

YES. People crying foul do not understand or apply battle mechanics properly. Let me add one piece of advice - in this specific battle make sure your warlord hero includes the archers in his command circle.

And if you additionally bring in Talonfolk units, the own losses are minimal. I had 4 archer units, after batlle finish one of them was 50% damaged, the other 3 about 20% each. But as the fliers concentrated on them solely all 8 flying units were dead.

Regards,
Thorsten

Oops, did not notice the time frame properly - sorry for thread necromancy.