• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mithel said:
This is starting to become an excellent tool... it's just too bad it doesn't use a mod map rather than the vanilla map.
Do you mean data or what exactly?
It would be very helpful for modding infrastructure if the visualization was a bit better (color code bands - green for infrastructure > 90; etc) and would load up a mod map.
It is now very early and as I meantined above, colors and virtually everything can be changed. Just suggest what you think would be best and we can discuss it. I know infrastructure or other map modes are not perfect, but I need ideas before I can implement them.

Regarding modded maps (scenarios), I can make entry for any scenario, major ones for the beginning (like C.O.R.E., Stony Road or other mods). Don't hesitate to ask, it can be there quite soon.

But final state shoud be that anybody is able to upload his scenario (save) and view it online. However that needs some support infrastructure I don't have ready right now. But it is definitely my vision.

Lord Ederon, this is a great effort you are making!

Most specifically I'd like to be able to load my current mod (yes, I'll send you a compressed save very soon) so that I can graphically view the work I'm doing on infrastructure. I see this as a potentially great tool for visually comparing the state of modding the HoI2 world and comparing to other (real world) references.

I'd like to suggest for future consideration modes for each of the resources (Energy, Metal, Oil & Rare) as well as manpower.

Specifically I'm interested in using it for infrastructure development and enhancement. Thus I'd like to see color coding for infrastructure bands:
Red - Infrastructure of <40
Orange - Infrastructure of 40 - 59
Blue - Infrastructure of 60- 79
Green - Infrastructure of 80 - 94
White - Infrastructure 95+
Each band should have "shading" for the exact values (my mod is adjusting provinces point by point not the 20 point spreads of vanilla HoI). I'm certainly open to other color coding suggestions, I just wanted to toss this out as a starting idea.

OK, here is what I need from those of you eager to change color coding :p

If you have an idea how should it look like, download this XML file with structure to define color coding for Infrastructure (you can use it for other definitions like industry or resources too). Here is an example of how to fill it with data.

Send it to iom-spam [at] itworks.sk.

Mithel's mod is already online, Starfire (1938) scenario it is. :)

[edit]i've made another tests and original xml structure was ok...reverted it :eek:o [/edit]

Last edited:
Mithel's color-coding for infrastructure has been added, also I've included one more. It is yet unfinished, but you might get idea what comes out of that xml file :) Look for it on "more settings" page

Fantastic! Now if only HOI2 was a proper 'Windowed' program I could view the provinces I want to negotiate for on-screen at the same time as claiming them...

Daniel, your efforts are greatly appreciated and highly useful. Thanks very, very much.
Steve.

Steve, play with a laptop sitting next to you. {smile} I find it very helpful to have my laptop next to me when I'm playing so I can reference many other tools while playing.

Lord Ederon, I like your alternative infrastructure coloring. I'll try and refine mine more, I'm not 100% sure which I like better. Now if only it displayed the real terrain based on the mod loaded.... {grin} grumble... grumble... {grin}... Thanks again for your excellent work!

MP and other Mod Effects

Hi Lord E,

Very impressed with your brilliant efforts here. Four questions:

1. If I load your map files over my vanilla 1.2 (UPHQ) version I use for MP play -- will it change the version alpa code??

2. Will it safely load over Stony Road version 2.03??

3. Will 'Fog of War' apply in the sense that:
- If I am for e.g. Russia, are my province defence assets like AA, Land and Sea forts invisible to any other nation that simply clicks on my province 1,000 kms away from the front, making them only visible if he sends air/naval units across said territory??

4. A little bit off the map subject --- I know that players can view all province assets through the Statistics Page, should province defences/improvements mentioned in (3) also have this info 'fogged out' too?? Is it possible or hard coded?? (yeah, a quick 5th question here...)

Good work

Mithel said:
Lord Ederon, I like your alternative infrastructure coloring. I'll try and refine mine more, I'm not 100% sure which I like better. Now if only it displayed the real terrain based on the mod loaded.... {grin} grumble... grumble... {grin}... Thanks again for your excellent work!
I'd need to change some data-files and map definitions to enable dynamic terrain display. Now, terrain map is displayed statically, based on separate graphics for it. I see it can be problem, so I'll change it the way I mentioned. It'll work similarly to other modes. I'd mean we can mod terrain colors as we like... :)

The Albatross said:
Hi Lord E,

Very impressed with your brilliant efforts here. Four questions:

1. If I load your map files over my vanilla 1.2 (UPHQ) version I use for MP play -- will it change the version alpa code??

2. Will it safely load over Stony Road version 2.03??

3. Will 'Fog of War' apply in the sense that:
- If I am for e.g. Russia, are my province defence assets like AA, Land and Sea forts invisible to any other nation that simply clicks on my province 1,000 kms away from the front, making them only visible if he sends air/naval units across said territory??

4. A little bit off the map subject --- I know that players can view all province assets through the Statistics Page, should province defences/improvements mentioned in (3) also have this info 'fogged out' too?? Is it possible or hard coded?? (yeah, a quick 5th question here...)

Good work
I'm not sure whether I understand :confused:

Interactive Online Map (IOM) doesn't affect your HoI2 installation in any way. It is separate web application running on remote server. Data in its database are based on HoI2 version 1.2. It doesn't implement fog of war nor does it display units in current version. These things are possible to implement though.

[edit]yet one note: different color scales shall be implemented for other map modes too. In final state it'll also display legend for color scale.[/edit]

Last edited:
Now I am confused....too...

Lord Ederon said:
I'm not sure whether I understand :confused:

Interactive Online Map (IOM) doesn't affect your HoI2 installation in any way.

Good -- so what is the purpose of having it???

Lord Ederon said:
It is separate web application running on remote server.

Does it give me any benefits when I play in either SP or MP mode??

Lord Ederon said:
Data in its database are based on HoI2 version 1.2. It doesn't implement fog of war nor does it display units in current version. These things are possible to implement though.

So if it doesn't display units, is it a work-in-progress?? Is that the objective?? And again what benefits to players in SP or MP games??

Lord Ederon said:
[edit]yet one note: different color scales shall be implemented for other map modes too. In final state it'll also display legend for color scale.[/edit]

The Albatross said:

So if it doesn't display units, is it a work-in-progress?? Is that the objective?? And again what benefits to players in SP or MP games??
You misunderstood the web app and its purpose.

It is web application so it will not install in your computer like normal applications. And as such it will not interfere with HoI 2 in any way (nothing will get changed).

The main purpose is to look at the map without actually playing HoI 2 (e.g. if you are at work, at school or can't be bothered to start HoI 2).

Thanks Kucing

Understood!!

So -- can it in fact be placed into the HOI 2 game files at some future date??? --I have seen other map modders like Sexxicolors etc.....but their maps do not appear to have an interactive component.

And if so, is this something that other players would find desirable??

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Cheers

The Albatross said:
You don't have it and you can't have it. You can use it or not. It is service and you are (can be) its client.

kucing described it quite well. I'd just add that it can be useful when you need some map-related information and loading the game costs too much time and memory for that purpose (at least for me and my ol' machine :wacko: ).
Not directly. It is not mod (as HSR or so), it is stand alone utility. You can view map, plan strategies or develop your mods with help from Interactive Online Map.
Maybe. It is still early version (yet in a beta stage), many features are still to come.
So -- can it in fact be placed into the HOI 2 game files at some future date??? --I have seen other map modders like Sexxicolors etc.....but their maps do not appear to have an interactive component.
It won't be placed in HoI2 game files in the future, since it has nothing to do with it (directly). As web application, it needs to have some infrastructure behind. Web server, database server, application itself. It is completely different than Sexxicolors. Once more, it is not a mod. It just provide fast and easy way how to view map, helps you visualize data "hidden" in it. You can view it from anywhere (as far as you have Internet connection), you don't need to load (or even install) the game itself.

Sea zones IDs

I was recently warned that map doesn't display ID numbers of sea zones. I'll enable it back in next release, as an separate option.

Lord Ederon,

You mate are a "LEGEND" this is exactly the thing i have been looking for!!!!! :D

The people who design these improvements are absolutly GODS in my eyes, you all should be congratulated on your efforts.

Keep up the great work mate i will be checking back at every oppurtunity for more great creations by these dedicated people.

Cheers,
Kymsheba