• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Ederon

Field Marshal
57 Badges
Sep 8, 2002
forums.ederon.net
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Interactive Hearts of Iron 2 Online Map

Current version is BETA 6

Interactive Hearts of Iron 2 Online Map

If you remember Clickable world map, which is based on a simple principle of having world map divided into 160 sectors, you might know it is quite limited in use, despite sometimes useful.

I've worked some time on map, which would not limit you to predesigned sectors, which would be scrollable, zoomable and maybe provide some other features. And here is the result.

Main features:

• complete Hearts of Iron 2 world map based on five scenarios (1936, 1938, 1939, 1941 and 1944)
  • eight zoom levels (1:1, 1:2, 1:4, 1:8, 1:16, 1:32, 1:64 and 1:96)
  • ten map modes (terrain, political, victory point, infrastructure, industrial, manpower, resources, etc.)
  • various options how to draw (or don't draw) map grid and coordinates
  • optional display of province IDs
  • locate province by its name
  • and other options and possibilities for your work with map(s)

And the last thing - please give me your feedback. It is important either for my motivation and also for fixing problems and implementing new functionality. Thanks :)

Enjoy!

Try it now!

Daniel

Suggestions scheduled for implementation
  • improve user interface (one-click approach, direct settings, etc.)
  • extend the possibilities to set things up how you like them (grid, coordinates, move step size, etc.)
  • display information about selected province (IC, terrain type, climate, resources, accessing sea zone, installations, etc.), based on different scenarios data (1936, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1944)
  • more map modes (displaying different aspects of the map, like manpower or resources)
  • include save/load function to provide ability of storing/sharing your current map view, settings, notes and other relevant information (as drawings described below)
  • enable 'drawing' on map (arrows, signs, etc.) - to visualize your grand plans...
  • possiblity to load your saved game and view map data based on it

Current version is BETA 6

Last edited:
What does it provide?

Introducing Interactive Online Map for Hearts of Iron 2

Features overview

Different map modes
vp.jpg

Various map modes, top row: political and victory points
Bottom row: infrastructure and industry

Grids and coordinates
grid-1.jpg
grid-2.jpg

grid-3.jpg
grid-4.jpg

Grids are available in differnet sizes with with different styles coordinates:
top row (absolute positioning): simplified coordinates and x/y coordinates
bottom row: same as row above with relative positioning

Province IDs and province locating
ids.jpg

You can always turn on/off drawing of province IDs, when you need to locate province just type in its name

Interface Overview

overview.png

Overview of user interface provided by Interactive Online Map in version BETA 5

1 - Main map view
view.jpg

1 - Move view buttons

2 - Minimap
minimap.png

3 - Toolbar
toolbar.png

1 - Scenario selection
2 - Map mode seletion
3 - Display size selection
4 - Behaviour of map after clicking on it
5 - Zoom level selection
6 - Province locator input box and button
7 - Other display options
8 - Link to page with more settings

Last edited:
Looks wonderfull!!!!

A suggestion: as you have included things that can change between scenarios such as AAs or forts it would be good to indicate from which scenario this is. Or better yet have separate maps from each scenario.

It is based on 1936 terrain map.

But further information on province basis can be scenario sensitive. I'll think about it and you can always suggest something :)

It looks very nice :)
For practical purposes might I suggest something in between level 1 and 2 ? Something with less detail but in which the province names can still be read ?

Yes, I've already received such request :) (for those zoom levels). I'll probably add another zoom level(s), but I'll be busy till end of the month, so now I'll just collect ideas.

I'll put them into first post, so everybody could see what is scheduled.

It looks nice but I didnt get past level 2? I'm using Opera. I'll try Firefox next, maybe it's the browser...

Edit: Looks like it works with Firefox.

Icer said:
It looks nice but I didnt get past level 2? I'm using Opera. I'll try Firefox next, maybe it's the browser...
This is second beta version thus it contains bugs and is not fully tested...
Edit: Looks like it works with Firefox.
I'm glad to hear that :)

oh wow now I don't have to consult the province.csv to figure out what provinceids are :D

that was always a pain because sometimes there's very little difference between one province and the one right next to it in the same region and scrolling through the database while opening and closing hoi2.exe is no fun

Is it possible to have links at zoom level 1 so that when you click a province
a window with its properties opens?

It's fabulous already as it is! :D

ravensuominen said:
Is it possible to have links at zoom level 1 so that when you click a province
a window with its properties opens?
What kind properties?

BETA Build 3

I've move it a bit forward. Added another two zoom levels (1:2 and 1:5) while changed smallest from 1:40 to 1:50.

I've also enhanced interface, corrected some bugs and transferred settings (grid, colors, etc.) to another page so it doesnt bother you while viewing map.

Here is little breakdown of what has changed since last version:
  • new zoom levels were added, so now we have five (1:1, 1:2, 1:5, 1:10 and 1:50)
  • while clicking on map on higher zoom levels (above 1:1), map is zoomed in to selected point. if you are at closest zoom level (1:1), you move map center by clicking it again.
  • you can now select directly which level of zoom you want to have without need to click through all zoom levels between
  • enabling/disabling display of grid, coordinates and ID numbers as well as their color settings is now on separate page.
  • corrected bug when map stopped being drawn if you went beyond some point (around the world, exceeding left/rightmost coordinate)
  • zooming in/out by clicking on buttons (+/-) now works correctly (zooming on point in the center of current view)
  • province IDs are now displayed at 2 zoom levels (1:1 and 1:2)
  • coordinates are now shown in relative numbers (vertically) and alpha code (horizontally) - e.g. C 5 is coordinate of fifth row and third column

Last edited:
BETA Build 4

Now it is working correctly (as far as I know). I've added another zoom level (1:20) so it zooms in smoother. Also another things were improved.

List of changes since preceding version:
  • new zoom level at ratio 1:20
  • corrected bug causing zoom in/out to work incorretly in some areas of map (China for instance)
  • you can now choose from three behaviours of map when it is clicked (zoom in, zoom out, center on clicked)
  • more colors to choose from
  • you can enable/disable display of grid and province IDs directly on map page too
  • moved map tools from bottom to top of the page, so you don't have to scroll down when you work in smaller window

Last edited:
Icer said:
Opera handles postbacks differently than IE or FF. You can still use it, but it's not very satisfying. You just need to do manual refresh (Ctrl+R) after any map click, zoom in/out... (what has to refresh is the picture)

I recommend you to use IE or FF when working with this map.

Last edited:
Lord Ederon said:
Opera handles postbacks differently than IE or FF. You can still use it, but it's not very satisfying. You just need to do manual refresh (Ctrl+R) after any map click, zoom in/out... (what has to refresh is the picture)

I recommend you to use IE or FF when working with this map.
Works fine for me in Opera 7.54. Just need to make sure preferences are set correctly; under "History and cache" make sure you have "Always" selected for "Check images". (I also use "Check documents always" and "Always check redirect" for documents and images.)

jdrou said:
Works fine for me in Opera 7.54. Just need to make sure preferences are set correctly; under "History and cache" make sure you have "Always" selected for "Check images". (I also use "Check documents always" and "Always check redirect" for documents and images.)
Good. I was looking for that setting in 'Multimedia' page, didn't notice it is there :rolleyes:

Very nice map :)