• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ooh....A Coz1 and Director joint project? I look forward to that....It ought to be quite interesting and entertaining, to say the least! Since the two of you are close to finished with each of your opus' it should be happening soon! I'm quite excited, now....Excellent news!

Chief Ragusa said:
Bogdan, a suitable find, is he Hitch's new in game character?
AFAIK, VR use and developement have been suspended, so there is no in game character for Hitch.

I try to imagine how you feel Director, for I also have a monster (that is in expected size, aka "Had I gone on as I started and covered all 400 years I'd not have finished this thing in our lifetimes." :wacko: ) running on myself. But of course, the prospect of other projects should help you (and us!) to cope with the end of this wonderful History Park sequel. Just like Amric, I will eagerly follow this joint project you mentionned. :cool:

I'm feeling for Hitchcock as well. He's facing several hard blows at a time: the sudden calm after a few days (weeks?) of hectic life, a heartbreak, the loss of a "virtual friend" and possibly the aftershock of a long VR immersion... :eek:

Just an update for you, Porter: I'm on page 30 and still loving the story. And wincing at some of the travails you suffered during the writing thereof.

Vann

Alright Porter, here I am gone for a week and assuming the final post will be up, but it's not. ;) Looking forward to it, when it comes.

This last war was indeed successful, and I too enjoyed the image of Hitchcock sitting alone in his room playing out the remnants of this game that nearly took his life.

He sits in the dark and he plays. He no longer feels alone, but lonely instead. No longer numb, but angry. He is waiting, and he knows not for what he is waiting.

And so he plays.

The years following the Mameluke War see the Empire focused on internal affairs. Achievement of infrastructure level seven (Central Government) is balanced by a peasant revolt in the Morea and Quattara, and by the accession of Constantin I to the Imperial throne. Weak of body and mind, dissolute in his tastes and languid in his habits, the new Emperor and his ministers proved unable and unwilling to actively steer the ship of state. Poor government policies followed.

The highlight of this period was the massive reorganization of former Mameluke territory. Reorganization of tax collection, justice and centralized administration led to rapid repair and construction of roads, aqueducts, port facilities and the other elements of civilized infrastructure. Despite amicably settling a border dispute with Austria, and the unexpected appearance of a weapons manufacturer in Ruthenia, the reign of Constantin was mostly appreciated for its brevity: he died of a surfeit of herbed wine in early 1658. His successor on the throne was a cousin, Gheorge Ghica, of an Albanian branch of the Basarab family.

The new Emperor came from a merchant family of modest means, and took a keen interest in the commercial health of the City and Empire. One of his first acts was the chartering of an Imperial colony for Keren, on the Ethiopian coast of Africa. Despite the difficulties – the colony could only be reached by overland march through Mameluke territory – the settlement was duly established, trade with the interior commenced, and a thriving commerce in coffee beans developed. His second accomplishment was the chartering of an official bank, entrusted with holding Imperial funds and managed by a board of sober, senior merchants and financiers. This Imperial Bank proved successful if not popular; it was widely admired for its probity and equally castigated for the strict conditions attached to loans. Successful businessmen understood the relationship between the two and found the Bank immensely useful.

The discovery of new lands intrigued and invigorated the popular spirit. Ten new warships were delivered to the navy for purposes of exploration, and the crown invested large sums in hiring Italian soldiers of fortune to modernize the army.

The heady optimism of Imperial spring was punctuated by the metaphorical ice-storm of colonial revolt in Issus and Keren in 1573. The news, according to popular legend, carried off the Emperor from rage and melancholy. Taking barely-disguised delight in the situation, the Mamelukes refused to allow Imperial troops to march overland, nor would the Nubian kingdom have allowed them to pass. After a lengthy period of self-rule, the colonies entreated the Ethiopian Emperor and passed under his guardianship and protection.

The betrayal and defection enraged Hitchcock, and in the cold fury of his impotence he swore vengeance. New monarchs would come (Gheorge Duca of the Moldavian Basarabs) and go (Serban Cantacuzino, notable for his Romanian translation of the Bible), but one Imperial aim would remain fixed: the recovery of Keren.

In Europe, Hannover would be annexed by Saxony and Venice absorbed into France without so much as a murmur from the Empire. A great naval manufactory was constructed in the Dobru, maps were traded with the Hedjaz and a rush of colonists filled out the ranks of Imperials who were ready for a life abroad. Naval technology began to steadily improve: level thirteen in 1673 to seventeen in 1681. Another bank was chartered, purely to ease the management of future colonial affairs.

The embargo of Imperial trade from Spain and Portugal was more than balanced by Imperial trade presence in centers in India and Africa. But the Empire was maturing in its finances, and depended now on internal taxes and production of goods rather than tariffs and excise taxes on trade. Commerce with the East was lucrative, but as it ran overland through Mameluke and Persian lands the Empire was careful not to become dependent upon the income.

In 1696 the Empire was jolted from its diplomatic slumber by the Great Northern War. Poland, Sweden, Saxony and Norway made war on Denmark and Scotland, a dire circumstance made even more threatening by the King of Saxony’s inheritance to the throne of Poland. That sleeping giant, crippled by its perpetual internal war between King and nobles, still disposed of vast lands in Brandenburg, Prussia, Poland proper and Lithuania. Coupled with the advanced outlook and technology of the Saxon court, Poland could become a mortal danger to the Empire. While Imperial ministers doubted the new King would fare any better with the Polish nobles than his predecessors, the Polish border became a new area of Imperial concern.

In 1698, Denmark was dismembered by the victorious coalition. Sated, the northern powers rested for almost a decade before leading a new assault on Austria (also Saxony’s vassal) in 1706. This war was repudiated by the Polish nobles, who saw it as nothing more than an opportunity for the Saxon King to expand his power at their expense. France, taking advantage of peace and stability at home, annexed Savoy. Improbably, Sweden had become the dominant power in Italy, collecting Mantua, Romagna, Firenze and Siena.

Imperial naval prowess continued to improve, passing level twenty-four in 1703 and twenty-seven in 1710. As evidence of Imperial commitment and impatience, 1709 brought a surge of colonial dynamism under the charismatic leadership of the Cretan ‘conquistador’ Gheorge Alessandros. Finally, in 1712, cities were founded on the Horn of Africa at Massawa and Somalia, a colony was established on the west coast of Africa at Louga, and the exploration of the African coast began in earnest.

Driven – obsessed – by rebellion and treason, Hitchcock focused every thought on Africa. Revolts in Moldavia were contained, the embargo of Imperial traders from England was ignored. A new Emperor, Nicolae II Mavrocordat, caught his attention only because the new man had markedly better abilities than his predecessors.

At last, the Imperial legions were loaded onto transports and the long journey around the Cape of Good Hope commenced. Once they arrived in Somalia the army’s funding was brought up to full strength, and with an improvement to land tech sixteen the final piece was in place.

An Imperial messenger delivered the ultimatum on May 16th of 1614, forty-one years after the initial revolt and decades since any African had wondered if the Empire still remembered the event. In a single year the war was over. Attacking with an advantage of numbers of four to one or greater, the Ethiopians were unprepared for the offensive power of firearms and the defensive strength of masses pikes. Imperial cavalry proved another shock for an enemy whose entire army marched on foot. Despite this supremacy in battle, the travails of the Imperial campaign were very real. Difficulties with supplies, a shortage of water, unfamiliar terrain, extreme heat and an array of exotic diseases killed more legionaires than enemy action. The Ethiopians fought hard and died in battle; the legionaires fought hard and died, largely, in camp.

Despite savage resistance, the Empire of Romania conquered in Africa. Despite an enemy determined to fight to the last, Imperial armies proved so invincible and Imperial diplomats so reasonable and persuasive, that at last an uneasy peace was forged in 1716. Ethiopia lost its seacoast, Issus and Keren were returned to the Empire, and a new Imperial age of African exploration and trade opened.

Hitchcock rose from his chair, stiff and sore from joints locked too long in one position. He stretched, visited the facilities and then puttered in the kitchen making a cup of cocoa. His anger had cooled when vengeance was taken; he looked at the sprawling map and felt, for the first time, that the game held nothing for him. Perhaps a war in Poland… or a naval assault on Venice… no. He felt the moment stretch out, and realized that – for him – the game was over.

He set the cocoa down untasted and walked around the map. The room was dark and cold, silent save for his footsteps and the faint hum of a fan. Still, for the first time he felt the possiblility that he might not be alone. He whirled, but nothing and no-one was there. Whatever he had expected – a Napoleon ‘bot, perhaps? – there was nothing.

“I can’t stand it,” he said aloud. “I just can’t stand the ingratitude of it. What we did, what we did for you. So I’m telling you – if you’re there – that this is it, for me. I’m out of here, and I’ll never be back. I counted you as a friend, dammit! I thought there could be that third way, between humanity enslaved and peasants with torches! So if you really are dead, there’s nothing for me here… and if you aren’t, if you’re just hiding and watching me suffer through this… then God Damn You. I’m done.”

He turned, in the chill and silent room and walked away. Behind him, he knew, the Empire would wait, perfect beneath its holographic clouds, waiting patiently until… until what? He would not turn back, would never be back, could not wait to be out of this place and rid of every memory –

A change in the light caught his eye just at the door. Stricken, terrified, he turned. And there, over the City, rising over the perfect clouds in the sunshine of a golden day, flew a dragon. Golden, gleaming, iridescent, opalescent, dancing in sunlight in an ecstasy of gold…

goldendragon.jpg

- free –​

… and gone.

He leaned against the wall by the door, heart pounding and breath bottled in his lungs. He could not have spoken at that moment, not for anything. The moment passed. He reached for the door.

There was a lot to do, now. He’d go home and get a shower, and some sleep. There would be time in the morning to call Thompkins and find out if the job offer was still open.

The door opened on a hallway both familiar and strange, on windows of alien and well-known scenes. He stepped through, and out, and onward.

It would be good to be needed.

3 years, 3 months, 9 days (or so I make it).

My very special thanks to everyone who read and commented, especially so to coz1, stnylan, Storey, Stuyvesant, Valdemar, J. Passepartout, Nil-the-Frogg, jwolf and Amric. These are the readers with 50 or more comments each. That there are so many says a great deal about the devotion, understanding and spirit of giving to be found on this forum.

Thank you all - everyone who took the time to read (and comment) if only for a little while.

I can truly say I learned a lot from this. (Never write a sequel. Never start a land war in the Balkans. Never tackle a project bigger than your ego - in my case, hard to do, but I managed).

If I had it to do over again, I think I would have written much less and pushed this through to completion years ago. Still, over the past few years I've been writing 2 AARs simultaneously, suffered car wrecks and illness and joblessness (again) and all the rest of life.

Here it is; it is done. I make no judgement on it now. Maybe I'll come back and read it through in a few months time.

Until the next time, 'Fare you well.'

(*walks away singing*) We'll all be bound for glory on the Empire Cannonball!

And so it ends. The dragon flies free; wonder if it's the imperial standard. Not the explanation I was expecting, but it seems to have made Hitchcock whole again.

The future expansion of the empire seems set. The slow steady addition of the remaining mamluk territory and the acquisition of orthodox ethiopia to link the up with the colonies. Your continuing non-involvment in wars with european powers is slightly surprising, but welcome nonr-the-less.

Good to see you bring the story to completiton. I look forward to a third, rather shorter story "The History Park: The Sale".

Nice way to suggest much with few explanations (almost none at all in fact). I agree that such a huge piece needed a sober and open-ended conclusion.

Director said:
3 years, 3 months, 9 days (or so I make it).
Gasp! I feel a growing fear here... :eek:

Well, we enter in the "post History Park" era of human history. This will need some adjustments in our life styles, eh?

I've enjoyed all the time spent reading this, Director, and I do realize that this period has been rich in events for me, too. Besides, I think I'm going nuts. I admitedly don't know you that well, but I've spent so many hours reading or thinking about your stories that I sometimes surprise myself speaking as you were here to answer :wacko: (and you often ask me to repeat my sentences or even write them down when the pronunciation is too horrid :D ). Bah, Ishould be able to connect to the web from the sanatorium :) .

Fare well and good luck for whatever is to come (I keep in mind this anouncement of a joint project with coz1 :cool: )

I especially appreciated the nod to the Nap 'bot. You know how I love it so. ;)

To me, this is the only way it could have ended. We have discussed how the great flourishes were really in the last narrative post and as this is only epilogue, it is only there to tie up loose ends - and what a loose end Frank/Joe was/is! The Dragon flying away offers a myriad of possibilities, really. I think that's what Hitch is seeing at this point. That's why he's needed and the feel of worth is perhaps from fulfilling that beloved Sergeant's role he's always enjoyed playing.

It's a different story than Napoleon - you've said so many times. But in many ways, there is much more depth here that I recall from the earlier work - case in point, your double use of "walking through the door" - for one it is a death of sorts and another a rebirth. That's the kind of imagry used in true literature, sir. You should could yourself pleased and proud. I've enjoyed it tremendously!

Thank you for the ride, Porter and congrats on finally finishing! :D

The dragon and Hitchcock both - free and gone, and Hitchcock able to face the future. I am not sure exactly what that link means, but it is there.

It has taken a long time to bring to completion, but the tale told is a grand one, that clearly did not want a lighter touch.

Congratulations on finishing it, and congratulations on such a marvellous read.

And now it is over.

Congratulations on finishing it. It's been one hell of a ride. I don't think there are many (if indeed any) other AARs that have lasted more than three years, more or less continuously, and actually ended up being completed.

I'm also very glad that 'Here There Be Dragons' has not soured you on writing in general, as I always enjoy your creations. :)

I like this ending. Much as I normally prefer a tidy wrapup, I can't imagine a clean resolution that ties everything together, that wouldn't feel contrived.

No glorious ending here, no final triumph fit for the ages. Instead, Hitchcock has a weary resignation about his time with Frank and Joe, coupled with a determination to turn the page. It's a more low key affair, but it still shows some glimmers of hope: hope that Joe and/or Frank still exist somewhere, and hope that Hitchcock will get his life back on track.

Thanks for all the enjoyment, Director. A lot has happened in the last three years, three months and nine days and it's been fun to have HistoryPark there to entertain me. Now, let me go and see what's been happening over in 'Frontier'...

Director, I apologize for being away from the forum during most of the fall, and consequently missing the last chapters of your epic AAR. I have read them at last, and they are absolutely terrific! (As well as terrifying, in places :eek: ). In no particular order, let me comment on a few scenes that stuck in my memory from the last few chapters --

I was glad to see the old carnivorous book make its reappearance at the critical moment of confrontation.

Frank's attitude toward everything as he met his end was suitably chilling: everybody anywhere was just a "thing" to him, either a tool to be used or a nuisance to destroy. You could really see the difference, for example, in how Frank and Hitchcock viewed the citizens and soldiers of the Empire.

The abbot and his monk police force made for amusing reading! Is there historical precedent for such a thing?

I enjoyed your account of the Turkish war, and your victory when you finally tracked down the Sultan during the pirate attack. In the aftermath, with the end of the Ottomans, it shows a common weakness that may be intrinsic to the game -- at least as I play it. Namely, for perhaps 200 or even 300 years your entire game focus may be on crushing big bad Empire X, but when it happens, you suddenly feel empty. I think you conveyed this emptiness beautifully as Hitchcock left the gaming area. When your highest goal in the game is to recover a nearly worthless African colony, you know that particular campaign has lost its appeal.

The Austrian collapse was IMHO brought on by one of the few truly backbreaking bugs in the game: repeated AI declarations as sole defender of the faith. I wish this feature were removed, because I have seen powerful AI nations wreck themselves with repeated bankruptcies exactly as happened with Austria in your game. I'll grant that your Austria was overstretched and vulnerable to reverses anyway, but I submit that these would have been relatively minor if not for the unfortunate and broken DOF feature.

I was surprised at your rather modest land techs in the late 1600s; I would guess that the Persians were nearly even with you during your war in about 1650.

The metaphor of liberation with the dragon flying freely over Constantinople was a delightful way to snap Hitchcock out of his funk.

This AAR shares a distinction with one other that I know -- Paranoid Tsar's fantastic but regrettably abandoned Orleans AAR -- in that it shows one or more main story characters who interact with game characters they know are only in the game, yet they are compelled to treat them as human beings as they make really hard decisions, even to the point of virtual life and death. And those decisions, over a long period of time, are completely draining. Our mortality is actually a blessing: imagine bearing that load of responsibility indefinitely and eternally -- it would drive a man insane.

I loved reading both this AAR and its Napoleon sequel. Your conception of History Park is brilliant, one that will stand as one of the most inspired of all time on the AAR forum.

Congratulations for a great AAR. Just as Hitchcock, now you've earned a nice quiet period of rest. Enjoy! :)

To all: many thanks for your kind comments. I haven't been very active this past week or so because I've been a bit blue.

J. Passepartout - the credit for the ending properly belongs to coz1, who argued strenuously (and correctly) for the Park AI to survive, in some form.

Chief Ragusa - And so it ends. *sigh*

I don't think I ever did say what color the Imperial dragon was. I do know each legion has a color (or colors). A golden dragon sounds very fine to me. :)

The Empire was pretty quiet in the last century because my badboy rating was still high. Despite my excellent income and rapidly-improving tech I was still far, far behind the European countries in land and naval tech. My only path to victory would have been to bury the enemy in bodies, and I hate that strategy. It works - I just hate it.

The long-rumored third edition would be 'HistoryPark: The Movie.' Subtitle: 'The Peasants Are Revolting'. ;)

cthulhu - thank you! Good readers make better stories and I have been blessed with a fine audience, yourself being much appreciated in that number.

Nil-The-Frogg - I know I left a lot unsaid; almost everything, as you point out. It was, however, more important to me to capture the feeling of the moment and that was what I aimed for.

I'm flattered that you think so kindly of me. If I'm asking you to repeat yourself it is not because your pronunciation is incorrect but because I am old and deaf. ('mais je suis vieux'?).

coz1 - You look so much lighter, these days. Lost weight? Oh, it's that monkey off your back! Mine was an albatross but as you can see he's gone... now I'm in withdrawal. :p

Leaving the womb/room for the great outdoors of life, 'passing' through the doorway - yes, these were all consciously used as imagery. They may be trite but they are often used because they have good evocative power.

As I think I've said before I began it as a lark, then got serious and had pretensions of committing literature, and finally did some serious thinking (and writing) to finish it. Deeply imperfect... the moral there is, 'Have a plan and work to the plan.'

stnylan - Mentioned several times in the story is the feeling that, for the Park AI, their present situation was played out. Inevitably this illegal AI would be discovered by outsiders. So the question became whether to co-operate with humans or seek some power over them for protection. In a sense the two AIs are 'born again' by their trial, and whatever (and wherever) it now is, it no longer seems to have evil intent. That may be a lot to read from a pic of a golden dragon, but I think the message is there if you look.

Stuyvesant - Over, yes. *sigh* Oh, I know: 'I complain, therefore I am'. As much as I wanted to be done with the story I didn't want it to be over, you know? No, it makes no sense. Ah, well.

The story is a dark one and the ending isn't tidy. It does have as happy an ending as we can expect, I think. And Hitchcock... is tired, yes. Relieved, at the end, just a bit, but also very tired. Let us hope it is the fatigue that comes from a job well done. Not everyone gets to slay the dragon and save the world. ;)

Heagarty's 'Gluttonic Knights' is gargantuan (as befits its title characters) and ran (I think) a bit over two years. The only reason 'Dragons' ran so long is my problems and procrastination. If I had wrapped it up in 9-12 months it would have been a tighter, better work I think.

jwolf - Hi! Tell Scott 'Hi!' too! Glad you dropped by - we've missed you around the forums.

I literally waited years to have Kevin 'throw the book' at the villain. The joke wasn't worth that long a wait, but I did enjoy setting it up.

Looking at it, I do see how Frank and Hitch treated the in-game characters differently. I didn't plan that consciously, which only highlights my incredible genius - I mean, um, Thanks for pointing that out!

Not sure if a city ever depended on monks for municipal police, but I think it is a cheap, reasonably effective solution to a problem. Matthew the Apostle (the name of the order) is the patron saint of policemen.

'When your highest goal in the game is to recover a nearly worthless African colony, you know that particular campaign has lost its appeal.' Yep. I couldn't spare the BB to start a war and I was too big for anyone to pick on. Colonizing in Ethiopia was just playing for the fun of it.

Yes, the Austrian collapse was preceded by multiple DoF declarations. I think Austria might have gone on to conquer Italy, Germany and half of France if my Empire hadn't put a spanner in the works. But as you say the collapse had to come from economic collapse (DoF), rebellions and unending wars.

The Persians were almost even in land tech which is why I struggled so to evict them from Trebizond. I concentrated too much on trade tech in the early game (should have gone for infra). But the real reasons for slow tech are these: 1) Orthodox tech group, 2) many cultures, 3) many religions. At the end the Empire was mighty but very, very slow to recover stability.

Thank you for the kind words. I confess I have been somewhat down after finishing this, and your comments have cheered me more than I can say.

A well crafted conclusion to this masterpiece, Porter...well done and congratulations to putting this beast to bed.

Amric - thank you, Scott. I am both greatly relieved and somewhat blue, as I'm sure you can appreciate.

Chief Ragusa - one possible scenario for a third HP story would be a movie made on the premises. A documentary on the American Revolution, run entirely amok by faulty scripting software and an aggrieved genius producer who is out to offend everyone by lampooning rebels and redcoats alike. Not saying it will ever be written, but coz1 and I have been kicking it around as a future joint project.

terren - I thank you for your kind words and I much appreciate your making your first post here. There is a lot of fine writing on this forum and many writers who would be happy to hear from you. :) Thank you - sincerely - for taking the time to post. That means a lot to a writer, I promise.

I hope you enjoy playing EU2. I've had great pleasure from it. (Thinks back.) In fact, I've had days where I couldn't drag myself off to eat or to sleep. But do take things slowly; trying to do much in the early years is a recipe for disaster. :( Believe me I know. :p My 'Bremen' AAR is based on my ninth try with that country. :D

If you liked 'Dragons' I suggest you read the other HistoryPark AAR, 'Who Wants to Be Napoleon'. It's a bit lighter in tone (and shorter, too) but features some of the same characters.