High density Not advancing in level and periodic abandonment

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FangoDoggo

Private
11 Badges
Nov 6, 2023
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus

Information​

When reporting a crash, stability or performance problems, please use the Report a Crash button on the earlier screen​

[CLICK] I understand

Required​

Summary​

High density Not advancing in level and periodic abandonment

Steps to reproduce​

Build a city too 100-300k in current patch, give all possible services and high happiness and wait for Level up's

Expected Result​

Buildings progressing past level 1

Actual Result​

Buildings not progressing at all not even 0.1 towards level 2. Instead periodically gets abandoned

Game Version​

1.1.0f1

Affected Feature​

• Balance

Platform​

• Steam

Additional Information​

Additional Information​

Trying 3 cities now since the patch, one at 300k, 200k, and newest at 150k pop. Mods and moded map, then no mods on moded map. and last Default everything no mods. in the respective order.

Commercial, Low density, Office, and Industry all levels too max with 0 issues.

Medium desnity has not maxed out either, ever but it gets past level 1.
Still High density does never even try leveling up, sometimes you can see a sliver of progress but if you click the building again it has reset too level 1.0. In addition too not leveling up they also gets periodically abandoned, with max Demand for them, all Services Well covered, transport, parking. +30-40 happy. only negatives being small homes and sometiems 1-2 for noise. All buildings full, and Wealthy. Still abandones and does not level.

in addition I will not I have tried placing tons of Special buildings around them for extra bonuses and extra hospitals/ppolice HQ, and fire HQ. There is also a excessive amount of parks and most of the tourist attractions and landmarks placed nearby. Also tried with spread out High density, compact, and mixed. it all makes no diffrence. Also tried surrounding them with only buildings that increase land value. Land value drops around 50k pop . from 100k+ average per cell too 50k nomather what.

Save Game​

View attachment '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''.cok

Other Attachments​

20240331195517_1.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions:
After some more examining the problem seem too be across the board, just more drastic in High Density. Only low density Residential, commercial and industrial, and both offices, can level all the way. Industrial and office staying at around 70-80% level 5. others having 3-4% from their low desnity variant only. all other capping at 1-3. Not sure, but seems like a balancing issues with the new Land value calculatiosn and limits, hard locking the level progress for the types the require higher value. Value drops and stays too low too progress regardless of effort with new calculations.

Seems like the new land value system is untested and does not work for High density, not noticable at start. but crippling for progress at big cities.

Also worth noting, the defecting Mail system bug is periodically back, all post offices can suddenly stop working making testing harder. Usually fixed by having a sorting facility for a while and delte it. as sorting facility stops 100% of mail pickup and sorting. works as a reset.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hey, I'm having this same issue, high density residential never leveling up and periodic abandonment despite doing everything possible to try to help the situation. Other types of residential struggle to level up as well but the denser types are the worst. The high density residential buildings that grew up before the new patch are doing fine but stuck at level 2. It's really odd because there's high demand and the buildings around the abandoning ones are always full and happy. I agree it must have something to do with the land value changes of the new patch. It was bad before the new patch but at least there were workarounds. I'm frustrated they couldn't just fully fix land value with the new patch. Now it is just as bad but in a different way. I see high land value in empty areas but nice areas along the shore are low value, it makes no sense. I hope this can be fixed soon!

After running game for w while and getting past 200k I tried installing enehanced tooltips too see whats going on.
The money required for level ups are in the negative quite bad. And that is wealthy households with -10% taxes. That is pretty silly imo.
20240402120524_1.jpg

Yea it makes no sense at all. Low land value is supposed to mean lower rent so they should have more money leftover for leveling up. Instead the opposite seems to be happening. Basically all my citizens are wealthy too but still this problem has been persisting really stubbornly.

I have encountered this issue. The only explanation I have found so far is education level. Are you having complaints about the units being too small? (I forget the exact wording.) Do you have plenty of college and university level education? From what I understand, the more educated, the more willing the population is to live in the more cramped quarters of high density (a.k.a. urban living). Without enough education, the people living there will complain of too small spaces and eventually move out. I'm sure there is more to the story and that is just a part of it, but thought it was worth mentioning.

I do have plenty of college and university education, and I have high demand for all types of residential and everything else. I do see the small homes message at -2 or so and everything else + in the green. That's fine if my students grow up, get jobs, start families and move away to larger living spaces. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the sudden abandonment of entire high rise buildings when it looks like most of them are full of people at max capacity or close. And when I demolish the abandoned building, I see a bunch of cims appear there and they're not homeless. So it's like they were still living there even though it said abandoned.

My population has been steadily growing and I'm constantly filling up brand new high density residential buildings, so why can't some of those people move into the older buildings instead as others move out so that these buildings don't get abandoned completely?

And yea my citizens are very wealthy so why can't they afford leveling up any of my higher density buildings? As FangoDoggo showed and I'm sure my situation is the same, they can't afford the leveling up. But it doesn't make sense.

Also again I'll mention the land values are all messed up. Totally empty areas with nothing but roads look like they have really high land value but my downtown shoreline residences with all the amenities are pretty low value. Something definitely seems glitched with land value and with buildings leveling up. Land value before the new patch was messed up because it would just keep getting higher and higher and higher to absurd levels. But at least it worked well until the values got too ridiculously high. And you could reset the land values in dev mode every time they got too high and it would keep things going well. Or you could separate offices by highways only and that would help too. Now with this new patch I don't think land values are working well at all but in a different way now. And there's something wrong with the buildings not leveling up as well, plus how they're abandoning the high density residential doesn't really make sense when there is the demand for it.

Maybe there's something I'm missing or doing wrong but mainly I think something is at least somewhat bugged or strangely setup. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm seeing similar behaviour across medium and high density buildings across my city, they just won't level up, despite residents being wealthy and happy. There is one family which is poor, is that what is dragging the whole building down? I'm confused.

CS2_extended_tooltip.png
image.png

Yea it doesn't make much sense to me either. I think getting the right people to live there who don't mind the small homes is part of it. Maybe they also need to be closer to commercial and office zones that are leveling up. I think I've got some medium density to level up at least a little. Overall it just seems more difficult than it should be and there is a mismatch between the info/feedback you can get and what's actually happening. I hope we can get some better answers soon and maybe another patch to improve things a bit.

Another part of it is probably that the land value needs to be higher to see them level up, which is strange because that should be increasing their rent and giving them less money to level up the building. And land value is still working badly in my opinion albeit in a different way than the old patch. Lastly, I think possibly being very slow with zoning and the growing of your city could help - when a type of zoning/density is in really high demand, this should help increase the land value of the little there is of it and maybe also help make sure the right people live there who will invest in leveling up the building. This theory tracks with how low density is better at leveling up since its demand is always high, as everyone wants big homes, and it also has an easier time because it requires a lot less high land value to thrive or grow the buildings at all. I have a feeling the game wants a certain ratio of low density to medium density to high density almost like they should all have roughly the same population or so for each, which means you need loads and loads of low density sprawling over large areas to match just small areas of higher density that fit so many more people in much smaller areas.

Hope that helps and keep us posted!

Same issue here. No high density residential buildings are leveling up, even with high wealth residents, all services covered, high education coverage, low taxes, industry stone & wood surplus, etc. City pop 160K+. Buildings also get periodically abandoned. Really annoying. All other zoning options seem to level appropriately.

The problem is building maintenance cost. It is very high.
It causes abandoned buildings, avoid level rise and "high rent" in residential low density.

There are mods that readjust it: "LandValueOverhaul" or "Economy Rebalance".

Last edited:
Same issue here. I decided to track some residents in high density blocks. Eventually they suddenly become homeless and all just stand outside the tower waiting for it be demolished.

All of them were happy, all services met, wealthy, plenty of education, jobs, mail, internet... The works. Their really living the best life. No complaints about high rent either. It's all going well, and then... Suddenly they all just leave the building and declare themselves homeless

I've tried all sorts to try and fix this, nothing I do seems to work unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Hello!

I see multiple of you are having this issue, are you able to attach your save games where this issue is happening so we can forward them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello!

I see multiple of you are having this issue, are you able to attach your save games where this issue is happening so we can forward them.

Here's a save file with the issue. If you look at the abandoned high rise buildings you'll see the only complaint they have is the small homes issue... But I can't seem to get rid of that. Other than that they're all extremely happy and have all of the services.

Attachments

• Lockhart.cok
    78,8 MB · Views: 0
After some more examining the problem seem too be across the board, just more drastic in High Density. Only low density Residential, commercial and industrial, and both offices, can level all the way. Industrial and office staying at around 70-80% level 5. others having 3-4% from their low desnity variant only. all other capping at 1-3. Not sure, but seems like a balancing issues with the new Land value calculatiosn and limits, hard locking the level progress for the types the require higher value. Value drops and stays too low too progress regardless of effort with new calculations.

Seems like the new land value system is untested and does not work for High density, not noticable at start. but crippling for progress at big cities.

Also worth noting, the defecting Mail system bug is periodically back, all post offices can suddenly stop working making testing harder. Usually fixed by having a sorting facility for a while and delte it. as sorting facility stops 100% of mail pickup and sorting. works as a reset.
The new land value system has serious bug. The reason is that the new land price system leads to low land prices, which makes the rent less than the building upkeep value, and ultimately the lack of maintenance of the building leads to abandonment. You can turn on developer mode and see how much rent a building receives and how much upkeep value it needs. The rents charged for high-density buildings are far less than the upkeep value.

There is a mod on pmod that can temporarily solve this problem.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The new land value system has serious bug. The reason is that the new land price system leads to low land prices, which makes the rent less than the building upkeep value, and ultimately the lack of maintenance of the building leads to abandonment. You can turn on developer mode and see how much rent a building receives and how much upkeep value it needs. The rents charged for high-density buildings are far less than the upkeep value.

There is a mod on pmod that can temporarily solve this problem.
What mod?

I'm having the same issue.

High density residential doesn't level up and keeps getting abandoned. Not one high density residential building goes past 1st level, they all get abandoned and then they rebuild and the cycle starts again. All high density buildings become full and before reaching level 2 one or two cims move out and immediately after that the whole building gets abandoned.

This is happening with all high residential buildings.

I have low taxes, low water and electricity, close schools, lots of parks and public transportation, and they still abandon the big buildings, makes no sense. in the earlier versions of the game the buildings would level up normally and not get abandoned.

Attachments

• Mt Chilly.cok
    59,1 MB · Views: 0