• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Comments, etc.

Chesterton said:
A very nice read. I'm interested to see how Japan will fare in the coming war with China out of the way, as it seems like all remaining resistance on the mainland will soon collapse.

You and me both. This is my first game with a predominately naval power. In my opinion, my army is ready; but I have no idea if my navy will be up to snuff. Either way, it should be an exciting tale!

Update on the way in a few minutes...

...wait for it...

Every Man Draws Water for His Own Field

Every Man Draws Water for His Own Field

November 15, 1940. With the surrender of the last Sinkiang warlord, the war with China was finally over (except for the odd nationalistic insurgent terrorists). The formal establishment of the New Order of East Asia demanded a special celebration, and some enterprising historian came up with an excuse: this year marked the 2,600th anniversary of the founding of Japan, and so a nationwide holiday was declared. The emperor reviewed the fleet, a most impressive display clearly visible from the parks in Yokohama, 600,000 tons of ships and hundreds of aircraft; the Combined Fleet, the third largest in the world, and the largest to be massed in one ocean. That evening an imperial celebration was held in Hibiya Park. Their Imperial Majesties, the emperor and the empress came out of the Palace to attend the celebration in the outer garden. Fifty thousand notable persons were invited inside the sacred enclosure, and army and navy bands played stirring music. Their Majesties sat down to bento lunches. The emperor read an Imperial Rescript:

It is Our earnest hope that peace in this world will be restored soon and that We may share with all countries happiness and prosperity, albeit the world is now in the midst of great turmoil.

No one paid any attention. That was what an emperor was supposed to say on such an occasion. Everybody in Japan knew that a great day was dawning for the nation. Japan was on the road. Hakko ichiu!

Admiral Yamamoto, certain that “those idiots” of the army were now embarked on a course that must take Japan to war with the United States, was beginning to consider a war plan that would violate all the rules of the Imperial Navy’s traditional plans for a Pacific war. It would involve a preemptive strike, of the sort that Admiral Togo had launched against the Russians at Port Arthur. It would mean the use of up to half a dozen aircraft carriers in a fashion never before consider in naval warfare. It was to be a do or die operation. The outcome was hoped to be decided on the first day. When Yamamoto showed his plan to Admiral Ohnishi, chief of staff of the Eleventh Air Fleet, Ohnishi thought he was mad. So did others, who talked enough among themselves that by January US ambassador Grew had the rumor and reported it to Washington. Admiral Stark, the chief of naval operations, reported it to Admiral Kimmel, the commander of the Pacific fleet; but appended it with a remark that he believed the report to be incredible. Naval battles were simply not fought that way. The battleship was still king. Some admirals doubted the viability of aircraft carriers for naval warfare. So why should they believe so ridiculous a story?

As 1941 opened, the military mission to Berlin sent a report to gladden the hearts of the militarists:

It is now absolutely impossible for Britain to defeat the Reich. Not only that, but the end of British resistance is merely a question of time. The United States at present is not prepared militarily enough to fight Japan, Germany, and Italy simultaneously, and the United States’ preparedness will not be completed before 1944.

The mission was greeted with full ceremonial honors. General Yamashita was received by Adolf Hitler, and reported after the audience that Hitler had pledged that the Germans would bind themselves eternally to the Japanese spirit, which made good reading back in Japan. Privately, Yamashita thought Hitler looked and behaved like a clerk. The meetings with Nazi officials were full of hearty cordiality. The promises to show all equipment was meaningless, however. The mission asked specifically about radar, but the Germans turned the questions aside.

What Hitler wanted from Japan was an immediate declaration of war against Britain, and especially against the United States. But Yamashita offered him little hope. Japan, he said, had only just absorbed China and was so fearful of attack by Russia that she was not going to attack anyone. The Japanese were in Berlin to improve their defenses, not their offensive capability. While all this was going on, Foreign Minister Matsuoka was also in Berlin, cementing relations with Hitler and putting his official signature on the Rome-Berlin-Tokyo pact. Matsuoka then stopped in Moscow on his way home and secured a neutrality treaty with the USSR which would run for the next five years. When the treaty was signed and Matsuoka was ready to go home to Tokyo, Stalin entertained him and they stoked up on vodka for so long that Matsuoka’s train had to be held for him. Stalin took the blowsy Japanese foreign minister to the station, gave him an immense bear hug, and announced his blessing:

"We are both Asiatics, Japan can now move south."

South and not north into Siberia, he meant. For that he had guaranteed Russia’s non-intervention in Asia. The way for Japan to move now in Asia certainly had become clear.

The Tripartite Treaty with Germany was specifically aimed at the United States in article three:

The…signatories…are bound…to assist one another with all political, economic, and military means when one of the three Contracting Parties is attacked by a power at present not involved in the European War.

There was only one such power in the world: The United States of America. Thus, the last year had set the stage for conquest of Southeast Asia. When the news of the pact came out, President Roosevelt had been considering aggressive action by American warships in the Atlantic against the U-boats, He dropped the idea for the time being, considering that the new developments had created too much danger in the Pacific.

Following the military mission’s six month visit to Germany, the Japanese flew to Italy to meet Mussolini. The Italian trip was cut short by a demand from Adolf Hitler that they return immediately. When they arrived in Berlin, Hitler told him he was expecting “to be attacked by Russia” in a few days and that the Japanese had best get on the Trans-Siberian Railway and get home. When the party were traveling up near the Polish-Russian frontier they could see the ammunition dumps, fields filled with tanks and trucks, and all the temporary military camps in the area. It was apparent that Hitler was getting ready to attack Russia. Across the Soviet border there was little to be seen of Soviet defense efforts except the building of antitank ditches. When the party reached Moscow, the party was met by General Zhukov. They lunched at the Kremlin but did not see Stalin. Then they left that night for Siberia. They did not talk to the Russians about the German war plans, and the Russians asked them no questions.

Three days later, when the party reached Irkutsk, they learned that Hitler had invaded Russia. As Yamashita and his party neared Japan he held a meeting and warned all that they must be very careful. He had noted that the Germans were not doing well. The members of the mission should not give anyone ammunition if they wanted Japan to declare war on Britain or the United States. They had all seen how modern war machines were built, and they must know that it would take Japan years to rebuild her defenses properly.

In the summer of 1941 the decision to go to war was inherent in everything being discussed by the military authorities in Tokyo. The only question was: which way to go? Now that Hitler invaded Russia they were afraid to ignore the Axis pact. What if Hitler won without their assistance? Then they would have the Germans on their northern border. What if Hitler also occupied England? Then they would have to deal with Hitler over the British colonies in Asia.

The Germans, failing to “blitz” the Soviets, now demanded with increasing shrillness that Japan attack Siberia. The Foreign Ministry favored this course, but the army wanted to occupy South-east Asia. Prime Minister Kiichiro sided with the army. The next step was to secure approval of the War Council. The council would then approach the emperor and persuade him to its point of view. Matsuoka played his last cards: he warned that to get involved in the south would lead to serious consequences with the United States, while to attack the USSR might not mean anything to the United States. The generals said they must go south to guarantee a supply of rubber. The navy said they could be prepared to invade Malaysia. The plan would be to move first into Malaysia, and then the Netherlands East Indies, step by step, hoping that Japan could swallow these chunks of territory without arousing the sleeping eagle.

In late September, another Imperial Conference was called, and the emperor considered it so important that he appeared to hear the discussion of the document “Outline of National Policies in View of the Changing Situation.” The policy was the establishment of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. The method: preparation for war against the United States and Britain. The immediate new move: investment of Malaysia and the Dutch East Indies.
Privy Council President Yoshimichi Hara said he was worried about war with the United States. Matsuoka said that a war with the United States and Britain was unlikely if the military proceeded with great caution.

Matsuoka: “The trouble is that the officers in the front line are aggressive, convinced that we will use force. Of course I have sanctioned the aggressive behavior of the officers, trusting in the wisdom of the Supreme Command.”

Hara: “What I want to make clear is whether the United States would go to war if Japan took action against the Dutch Indies.”

Matsuoka: “I cannot exclude the possibility.”

General Sugiyama: “Our occupation of the Indies will certainly provoke Britain and the United States. At this juncture, Japan must resolutely carry out the policy she now has in mind: this policy is absolutely necessary in order to stamp out the intrigues of Great Britain and the United States. I do not believe that the United States will go to war if Japan moves into the Dutch Indies. Of course, we wish to do this peacefully. We also with to take action in Thailand but that might have serious consequences since Thailand is near Malaya. We will be careful in sending our troops, since this will greatly influence our policy with regard to the south.”

Hara: “I now understand and agree.”

And so that vital Imperial Conference became history with the final assent of the emperor to a policy he knew very well was going to lead to war with the United States and Britain. Whatever the emperor’s feelings before this time, the stark replies of the army to all questions showed that there was no turning back short of an imperial demand that they do so. By this time, such a demand could very easily have been met with army insurrection. The army was talking about proceeding slowly, but with no indication that anything could occur to make them stop their expansion of Japan’s empire. The rapid change in the fortunes of war in Europe had brought a feeling to Tokyo that if the Japanese did not move now to secure more empire, it might be lost to them. The generals were overwhelmed by the speed of German victories in the European war, and afraid of missing the bus.

Not everyone was as excited about the possibilities as the army. Admiral Nagano made a last appeal to reason:

As for war with the United States, although there is now a chance of achieving victory, the chances will diminish as time goes on. By the later half of next year it will already be difficult for us to cope with the United States; after that, the situation will become increasingly worse. The United States will probably prolong the matter until her defenses have been built up and then try to settle it. Accordingly as time goes by, the Empire will be put at a disadvantage. If we could settle things without war, there would be nothing better. But if we conclude that conflict can not ultimately be avoided, then I would like you to understand that as time goes by we will be in a disadvantageous position. Moreover, if we occupy the Philippines, it will be easier, from the navy’s point of view, to carry on the war.

The juggernaut, however, was moving; and no one at this point had the temerity to try to stop it. When Yamamoto learned of the move to be made in the south, he quit hoping for peace. “There’s nothing we can do now.” He then went back to the fleet to consider the best method of crippling the American fleet before it could get started in the war that was most certainly going to begin in a few months.

Another very interesting update. An intriguing mixture of fairly historical events (concerning the inner debate and ultimate decision by Japan to move south and risk war with the U.S.) and the simultaneous ahistorical (celebration of victory over China). I particulalry liked the paragraphs talking about the Japanese military mission. Very nice work!

Chesterton said:
Another very interesting update. An intriguing mixture of fairly historical events (concerning the inner debate and ultimate decision by Japan to move south and risk war with the U.S.) and the simultaneous ahistorical (celebration of victory over China). I particulalry liked the paragraphs talking about the Japanese military mission. Very nice work!

Thanks!

What in particular did you like about the mission stuff?

Game Update:
I have pretty much written close to my save game. There will be a slight delay of a few days while I play a bit further. There should be one more post taking us up to the start of hostilities if all goes to plan. (Wait, was that Murphy lurking back there?) And then the stuff will hit the fan!

TheExecuter said:
What in particular did you like about the mission stuff?

Overall, I like the level of depth (level of detail might be a better term) in this AAR. For example, a lot of the things you write about are presented in a fairly "historical fashion". By that I mean, there aren't a huge amount of intricate details. However, you do venture to go slightly more in-depth sometimes but not overly so. The whole mission thing illustrates the later point well, I think. You presented it well, as you mentioned some minor details such as the vodka and how they saw the German military build-up at the border, etc, which all give it an interesting sort of personal feel, but at the same you didn't over do it and lose the historical feel. In this way, the story reminds me a lot of an interesting book I read on the Russian Revolution which had a similar range of detail. Just my take on it. ;)

Chesterton said:
Overall, I like the level of depth (level of detail might be a better term) in this AAR. For example, a lot of the things you write about are presented in a fairly "historical fashion". By that I mean, there aren't a huge amount of intricate details. However, you do venture to go slightly more in-depth sometimes but not overly so. The whole mission thing illustrates the later point well, I think. You presented it well, as you mentioned some minor details such as the vodka and how they saw the German military build-up at the border, etc, which all give it an interesting sort of personal feel, but at the same you didn't over do it and lose the historical feel. In this way, the story reminds me a lot of an interesting book I read on the Russian Revolution which had a similar range of detail. Just my take on it. ;)

Hmm. Thanks for the input. It has been my plan to not give too many details (I'd never have gotten this far if I did!), but I find I can't resist inputing some events to give some 'feel' to the narrative and allow you to 'see' who these guys are. Glad you liked it.

As to the status of the next update: I've played a while and the next update is wordsmithing along in my head (some structural problems and an uncooperative ai, surprise surprise...). I hope to have an update out within the next 24 to 48 hours. Thanks for your patience.

...as promised...

Who’s to Choose Between Horsefly and Hornet?

From Berlin came a stream of insistent demands that Japan attack the Soviet Union in Siberia. The fact was, however, that by fall of 1941, Hitler’s rosy predictions of the swift defeat of England and Russia had already proved illusory, and the Japanese were not willing to take the risk. The general staff committed to moving south. By August, U.S. policy hardened yet more, and Roosevelt demanded that the Japanese guarantee the neutrality of Thailand and Indochina. The Japanese replied that they would not move farther south than Indochina, and that they would remove their troops from Indochina when the Communist insurgency in China was settled. They asked the United States to refrain from fortifying Guam or Samoa, to help Japan secure materials from the Netherlands East Indies, to restore normal trade with Japan, and to recognize a special Japanese position in Indochina in the future. Meeting these demands would give Japan all she had now conquered plus more. The Americans refused. The movement into Indochina had indicated to the west the expansion of Japan’s ambitions in Asia.

The Japanese were thus faced with the coming inevitability of war unless they changed their policy. Within the cabinet there were men willing to change, but the military men were not. They remained obdurate all fall. Japan was going to follow her course, and if that meant war with the United States, it was just too bad. The problem was that there were few people in government leadership who asked the question: “If we go to war with the United States can we possibly win?” The only person in high authority who seriously addressed that question was Admiral Yamamoto, and he was at sea, not in Tokyo, and his relations with Admiral Oikawa (the navy minister) were not such that he could press the issue.

On December 3, the Japanese leaders of government and the army and navy met again to make the most momentous decision of the year. Admiral Nagano, the navy chief of staff, made an “on-the-one-hand-and-then-on-the-other-hand” statement that would have warned any disinterested party against war:

In various respects the empire is losing materials: that is, we are getting weaker. By contrast the enemy is getting stronger. With the passage of time, we will get increasingly weaker, and we won’t be able to survive. Moreover, we will endure what can be endured in carrying on diplomacy, but at the opportune moment we must make some estimates. Ultimately, when there is no hope for diplomacy, and when war cannot be avoided, it is essential that we make up our minds quickly. Although I am confident that at the present time we have a chance to win the war, I fear that this opportunity will disappear with the passage of time. Regarding war, the navy thinks both in terms of a short war and a long one. I think it will probably be a long war. We hope that the enemy will come out for a quick showdown; in that event there will be a decisive battle in waters near us, and I anticipate that our chances of victory would be quite good. But I do not believe that the war would end with that. It would be a long war. In this connection I think it would be good to take advantage of an initial victory in order to cope with a long war. If, on the contrary, we get into a long war without a decisive battle, we will be in difficulty especially since our supply of resources will become depleted. If we cannot obtain these resources, it will not be possible to carry on a long war. It is important to make preparations so that we will not be defeated, by getting essential resources and by making the best of our strategy. There is no set series of steps that will guarantee our checkmating the enemy. But even so, there will probably be measures we can adopt, depending on changes in the international situation. In short, our armed force has no alternative but to try to avoid being pushed into a corner, to keep in our hands the power to decide when to begin hostilities and thus seize the initiative. There is no alternative but to push forward in this way.

This speech was followed by the statement of army Chief of Staff General Sugiyama, who wanted and expected to seize all the territory designated in the south and then be prepared by summer 1942 to attack the Soviet Union. His theme was “get on with the wars.” The decision was made by the leaders at this conference to continue negotiating with the United States until January 10. If, by that time, negotiation had not gotten Japan her way, then the decision would be made to begin war with the United States, Britain, and the Netherlands.

So important a decision could only be made final through an Imperial conference. One was called and the emperor insisted on seeing the army and navy chiefs of staff. Nagano repeated his little speech. Emperor Hirohito turned to General Sugiyama:

“In case of war with the United States how long would it take Japan to win?”

“The operations in the South Pacific would be finished in three months.”

“Oh? In 1937, when I asked you how long it would take to end the incident in China you said ‘one month.’”

“The interior of China is huge, Your Majesty.”

“If the interior of China is huge, isn’t the Pacific Ocean bigger? How can you be sure that war will end in three months?”

After this outburst, the emperor then asked what emphasis was being put on diplomacy to resolve the problems. That was the way out for the military men: they soothed the emperor with soft words about diplomacy. The meeting ended with their promises and assurances that diplomacy would probably work – statements neither man could possibly have believed, given their own previous arguments in the government meetings. At the Imperial conference Hirohito listened and said nothing until the very end, when he read a little poem which had been written by his grandfather, Emperor Meiji.

All the seas in every quarter
Are as brothers to one another.
Why, then, do the winds and waves of strife
Rage so turbulently through the world?

The poem was an Imperial censure of this war council, and they all knew it. For the emperor knew that by putting a time limit on negotiations, and stating demands that all knew the United States would never meet, the government had already decided to go to war. From the standpoint of the militarists the decisions had all been made. From now until January would come the window dressing that was supposed to quiet the small group of leaders who did not want war, and prevent the emperor from being troublesome. The key lay in one of the policy papers in support of the decisions, a paper that represented the combined views of cabinet and Supreme Military Command:

Is War with Great Britain and the United States Inevitable? Our empires plan to build a New Order in East Asia is a firm policy based on the national principle of hakko ichiu. The building of the New Order will go on forever, much as the life of our State does.

There it was again. Hakko ichiu, all the corners of the world under one roof: a Japanese roof. And so the preparations for war began early in December. Only a miracle could now prevent the war, for the prime demand of Japan was freedom to act in Asia, and that is the one demand that the west would never accept.

Admiral Yamamoto’s plans for the preemptive strike on the American fleet were already well along. In November, the carrier Akagi was sent to Kagoshima for training exercises. The topography of Kagoshima Bay is similar to that of Pearl Harbor. Lieutenant Commander Fuchida was chosen to lead the strike. Soon the other carriers of the First Air Fleet arrived to begin training for a strike against ships at anchor. In mid-December Yamamoto and the navy received a shock. The Honolulu consulate reported that the American Pacific fleet had left harbor and all signs pointed to redeployment to the west coast. The news was confirmed by the newspapers of both Honolulu and San Diego, as well as by a submarine patrol sent to investigate. This development effectively put the Pacific fleet out of reach. A week later, the move was explained in the New York Times as an “attempt to reduce tensions in the Pacific in an effort to induce Japan to a similar step back from the brink.” If this was truly an attempt to woo Japan from its militaristic course, it failed utterly. Yamamoto now realized that he need not worry about U.S. intervention immediately in the event of the southern war. He now resolved to concentrate his forces to achieve the subjugation of Malaya and the Dutch Indies in the shortest possible time, thus releasing the carriers for potential action against the US fleet if and when it appeared.

The war did not mean just an attack to immobilize the forces of the United States, Britain, and the Netherlands. It was to be the second step in hakko ichiu, and a major instrument to bring the world under Japanese control was to be the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, which could certainly be extended beyond Asia. The army and government were at work establishing the machinery for the Prosperity Sphere, and Indochina was a primary experiment in the seizure of formerly western, hostile territory. On January 31, Ambassador Kenkichi Yoshizawa sailed from Kobe for Haiphong to take over the Japanese embassy. His task was to promote economic growth in Indochina. The correspondent for Asahi Shimbun put it more bluntly: the ambassador would reorganize the Indochina economy for the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

The economic affairs of the colony have to be adjusted. By placing the colony on a wartime economic basis it will be possible to control it as a component part of the co-prosperity sphere. No useful purpose will be served by the colonial authorities continuing to dream of the conditions which prevailed in the days of economic liberalism. The colony’s economy will be in danger if the authorities look with folded arms while inflation is starting. The future of the colony lies only in cooperation with Japan in all fields of endeavor.

Reduced to essentials, all this meant rice for Japan. There would be a little tin, a little rubber, a little sugar. But Indochina was the major rice-exporting area of Southeast Asia, and as such invaluable to a hungry Japan.

By February 17, diplomatically nothing concrete had been accomplished. On that evening, Yamamoto held a send-off sake party aboard the flag ship of Admiral Chuichi Nagumo, the commander of the Singapore striking force. Next morning the force sailed for Indochina. This point was the assembly point for the striking force. The ships came in secretly and silently till all arrived, nine battleships, seven aircraft carriers, and enough cruisers and destroyers to protect them on the voyage. Similarly, the eight aircraft carriers of the southern command readied themselves at Truk for their operations against the Dutch East Indies, particularly Java.

On the afternoon of March 4 at the Imperial Palace, the final conference was held. Prime Minister Hiranuma outlined the final plans for war. Here was the last chance for anyone to make an objection to the decision. No one did. Finally, Hiranuma summed up:

I would like to make one final comment. At the moment our Emperor stands at the threshold of glory or oblivion. We tremble in fear in the presence of His Majesty. We subjects are keenly aware of the great responsibility we must assume from this point on. Once His Majesty reaches a decision to commence hostilities, we will all strive to repay our obligations to him, bring the government and the military ever closer together, resolve that the nation united will go on to victory, make an all-out effort to achieve our war aims, and set His Majesty’s mind at ease.

There was no comment.

Hiranuma: “I now adjourn the meeting.”

The emperor said nothing. The war was on.

On March 5, Admiral Yamamoto was summoned to the navy ministry at Tokyo and came up by train from the fleet anchorage at Hashirajima via Iwakunijun to Tokyo. At 5:30PM off went the prearranged signal:

“Climb Mount Niitake”

On March 6, Admiral Yamamoto called at the Imperial Palace for a formal audience as required by Imperial protocol, to receive the command of the Combined Fleet and take it into battle. The emperor made his little set speech, and the admiral made the reply prepared for him. Each man knew that the other hated what was to happen, but they were captives of the Imperial Way, and they went through the little charade so the two messages could be broadcast to thrill the officers and men of the Combined Fleet. Japan’s war was entering another phase.

Last edited:
A good description of the final lead up to war as well as the Emperor's reluctant acceptance of its seeming inevitabilty. His little poem was a nice touch as well.

Things should be interesting without an attack on pearl harbor. I imagine it's something of a Schlieffen Plan type operation in that you plan to concentrate against one weaker enemy (in Malaya and Indochina) that you hope to quickly overrun and then turn the bulk of your forces toward the stronger enemy. Looking forward to see how things play out.

edit-of course, I don't think Southeast Asia will put up as much of a fight as WWI-era France. ;) But also of course, the continuance of the Hakko Ichiu goal will, I suppose, bring Japan even more enemies in the future-other than the US.

Last edited:
Chesterton said:
A good description of the final lead up to war as well as the Emperor's reluctant acceptance of its seeming inevitabilty. His little poem was a nice touch as well.

Things should be interesting without an attack on pearl harbor. I imagine it's something of a Schlieffen Plan type operation in that you plan to concentrate against one weaker enemy (in Malaya and Indochina) that you hope to quickly overrun and then turn the bulk of your forces toward the stronger enemy. Looking forward to see how things play out.

edit-of course, I don't think Southeast Asia will put up as much of a fight as WWI-era France. ;) But also of course, the continuance of the Hakko Ichiu goal will, I suppose, bring Japan even more enemies in the future-other than the US.

Ye gads...no update for a week...what was I thinking! As you may have guessed, school has started and RL is squeezing away time from this pursuit to such 'trivialities' like homework and work. So, that being said, I hope to have an update out tomorrow or early next week.

As to the plan, how right you are. You'll have to wait to see how it works out. There are significant forces in the region, but nothing the IJN and IJA can't handle. :) Also, you are correct in that the hakko ichiu goal will bring in more enemies in the future...time will tell how that all plays out.

Fear not! The next update will bring news that the waste products have now hit the fan and we will see how great the victory parade will need to be! Stay tuned for the expected...and the unexpected! ;)

Appearances are Deceitful

Appearances are Deceitful

When Admiral Yamamoto had gone to the Imperial Palace for the ceremonial passing of command of the fleet from emperor to admiral, Hirohito had said the words written for him:

"In commanding our forces inaction we entrust to you the command of the Combined Fleet. The task facing the Combined Fleet is of the utmost importance, and the whole fate of our nation will depend on the outcome."

Yamamoto had replied with the more or less prescribed formula, this written for him in advance by his chief of staff, Vice Admiral Matome Ugaki, who reached back to the Russo-Japanese War and Admiral Togo’s words for inspiration:

"I reverently accept the Imperial Command and assure Your Majesty that all the officers and men of the Combined Fleet will devote themselves unsparingly to their mission…"

And now, on the eve of battle, all this inspirational material was transmitted to the fleets at sea, with Yamamoto’s final injunction:

"The fate of the Empire rests on this enterprise. Every man must devote himself totally to the task at hand."

Staff officers tended to make jokes of messages such as these. The story was that Admiral Ugaki thought of that last message while in the ships “head” one morning. But it really was not a joking matter, and Yamamoto did really believe that the fate of the empire depended on his ability to strike so crippling a blow at the outset that the west would be unable to recover for many months. The army then would be able to consolidate its first gains and encircle the new empire protectively.

On the morning of March 11, the newspapers in Tokyo screamed:

WAR IS ON
JAPAN’S NAVY PLANES ATTACK HONG KONG, SINGAPORE, BATAVIA.
Japanese troop transport off Borneo
Great success reported in all areas raided in naval announcement
British troops in Thailand being wiped out
Landing in Malaya announced
Cabinet meeting in emergency session​

The ships’ radios, tuned to Tokyo, could not help but pick up the excitement of the Japanese capital, where the news of war had burst so suddenly. It was almost too much for anyone to assimilate in a single day. How well it had all been planned. All these attacks were carried out without any warnings or belated explanations at all.

How thorough the plan! That morning of March 11, the newspapers carried the emperor’s words about the war, words obviously written for him days before the fact. Radio Tokyo also broadcast these words, and they were flung to the far corners of the world, to announce the course that Japan had set upon. Hakko ichiu!

Imperial Rescript

We, by grace of Heaven, Emperor of Japan, seated on the Throne of a line unbroken for ages eternal, enjoin upon ye, Our loyal and brave subjects:
We hereby declare war on the British Empire and Commonwealth. The men and officers of Our army and navy shall do their utmost in prosecuting the war. Our public servants of various departments shall perform faithfully and diligently their appointed tasks, and all other subjects of Ours shall pursue their respective duties; the entire nation with a united will shall mobilize their total strength so that nothing will miscarry in the attainment of Our war aims.
To insure the stability of East Asia and to contribute to world peace is the far-sighted policy which was formulated by our Great Illustrious Imperial Grandfather and Our Great Imperial Sire succeeding him, and which We lay constantly to heart. To cultivate friendship among nations and to enjoy prosperity in common with all nations has always been the guiding principle of Our Empire’s foreign policy. It has been truly unavoidable and far from Our wishes that Our Empire has now been brought to cross swords with Britain. More than four years have passed since China, failing to comprehend the true intentions of Our Empire and recklessly courting trouble, disturbed the peace of East Asia and compelled Our Empire to take up arms. Although there has been re-established the National Government of China, with which Japan has effected neighborly intercourse and cooperation, the regimes in Indochina and the Indies, relying on British protection, have embraced fratricidal opposition. Eager for the realization of their inordinate ambition to dominate the Orient, Britain, in giving support to these regimes, have aggravated the disturbances in East Asia. Moreover, this power, inducing other countries to follow suit, increased military preparations on all sides of Our Empire to challenge Us. They have obstructed by every means Our peaceful commerce, and finally resorted to a direct severance of economic relations, menacing gravely the existence of Our Empire. Patiently have We waited and long have We endured, in hope that Our Government might retrieve the situation in peace. But our adversaries, showing not the least spirit of conciliation, have unduly delayed a settlement and in the meantime have intensified the economic and political pressure to compel thereby Our Empire to submission. This trend of affairs, would, if left unchecked, not only nullify Our Empire’s efforts of many years for the sake of the stabilization of East Asia, but also endanger the very existence of Our nation. The situation being such as it is, Our Empire for its existence and self defense has no other recourse but to appeal to arms and to crush every obstacle in its path.
The hallowed spirits of Our Imperial Ancestors guarding Us from above, We rely upon the loyalty and courage of Our subjects in Our confident expectation that the task bequeathed by Our forefathers will be carried forward, and that the sources of evil will be speedily eradicated and an enduring peace immutably established in East Asia, preserving thereby the glory of Our Empire.

Prime Minister Hiranuma declared that day that:

"I am filled with awe and trepidation. Powerless as I am, I am resolved to dedicate myself, body and soul, to the country and to set at ease the mind of our Sovereign…The key to victory lies in a faith in victory…as long as there remains under the policy of Hakko Ichiu this great spirit of loyalty and patriotism, we have nothing to fear…"

Double post...but whatever. :p

Great update! I suppose I had expected you to jump right into a description of early combat operations, but the ceremony (including Yamamoto's belief that the empire's future depends on striking a crippling blow at the outset), the newspaper headline, and the rescript were all excellent elements to put into the story.

Chesterton said:
Double post...but whatever. :p

Great update! I suppose I had expected you to jump right into a description of early combat operations, but the ceremony (including Yamamoto's belief that the empire's future depends on striking a crippling blow at the outset), the newspaper headline, and the rescript were all excellent elements to put into the story.

Double post = fixed!

Thanks. Never fear, the next section will jump into the combat operations. Now at least, they know they're at war, as opposed to the China incident... :wacko:

Now at least, they know they're at war, as opposed to the China incident...
Yes, I read a book that dealt with the subject and found the events regarding the begining of the war in China rather complicated, but very interesting.

Anyway, I very much look forward to seeing how this war will progress.

Strike While the Iron is Hot

Strike While the Iron is Hot

Everything the Japanese were doing seemed to bear the imprint of success. The southern assault, conducted by the army with the cooperation and protection of the navy, was far more than a regional push. All at once the Japanese were moving to destroy the Europeans’ influence in East Asia. Much has been said about the timing of Japanese attacks relative to the declaration of war nearly twelve hours after the fact. Actually, the army attacks were already in motion and it is doubtful if under any conditions all of them could have been recalled. At the end of February 1942, the Japanese militarists were bent on war, and it would have taken a western surrender to have stopped the whole series of surprise attacks on which Japanese strategy was based, just as it had been in 1904.

Starting in the north:

Tientsin: The Japanese moved early that morning of March 10 into the International Compound where they disarmed British troops and took over British establishments at Tangku, Taku, and Chinwangtao.

Shanghai: The Japanese ordered the British gunboat Peterel to surrender. The British chose to fight and their gunboat was sunk. The Japanese moved into the International Settlement. Firing was heard along the Bund and in the area of the Garden Bridge near Broadway. The Japanese had seized Shanghai.

Hong Kong: On March 10, Vice Admiral Mineichi Koga announced the complete blockade of Hongkong and moved ships round the island. Japanese army planes bombed Hongkong several times.

Singapore: Japanese carrier planes bombed the naval base and the city on March 10, sinking three ancient cruisers.

From Indochina the Japanese moved swiftly by rail and by truck to the Thai border and crossed over. Within twenty-four hours they had taken over Thailand and achieved a “diplomatic” accommodation that made Thailand a member of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere and gave Japan freedom to move troops in and out of Thailand. Hakko Ichiu!

On March 7, General Tomoyuki Yamashita, the officer who led the mission to Germany, embarked the 25th army for assault against British Malaya. The place chosen was the Kra Isthmus. The transports were escorted by the Japanese battleship fleet. The scouting carrier force under Admiral Ozawa stood a hundred miles offshore, ready, but trying to confuse any enemies and retain the element of surprise to the last. The Japanese force was sighted by British reconnaissance planes and turned north, as if moving into the Bay of Thailand. The British relaxed. The Japanese turned back, and on the night of March 9, they began their landings. So much for “warnings.” In fact, at Singora most of the members of the Japanese consulate staff were drunk, celebrating the outbreak of war. The Singora landings were fantastically easy. Nine men were killed.

Sibu: On March 10, Japanese army units landed on Borneo without resistance and began moving towards the oil refineries.

Makassar: Japanese marines seized the deserted naval base on March 10, and began clearing an airfield to give air cover for the naval units of the Truk fleet’s operations against Batavia.

On March 12, Admiral C.E. Helfrich of the Dutch navy set off from Batavia in the direction of Singapore with a pre-dreadnought battleship and several light cruisers and destroyers. The ships moved westward, toward Malaya. On the afternoon of the 13th they were sighted by the Japanese submarine I-6, which radioed its headquarters. The report went to Admiral Yamamoto aboard his flagship, the battleship Nagato, which was at sea guarding the transports of the Malaya invasion fleet. Yamamoto was loath to leave the transports to go chasing after a maneuvering enemy fleet. The Japanese problem at the moment was a shortage of capital ships in this area, since Yamamoto had sent his carriers ahead to scout the straight of Malacca and seal that approach to Singapore. The carriers in the Java Sea were too far east to catch the Dutch ships with their short range air groups. Yamamoto had approved this plan, deciding that land-based air forces on Taiwan and in Indochina could meet any demands that came up.

What to do was the problem that coursed the Nagato’s operations center that afternoon. Yamamoto ordered up a force of thirty dive bombers and level bombers from one of his Indochina air bases. The planes, loaded with 1000-pound bombs, were sent to find the Dutch battle force. The Japanese airmen did not find the ships that day. Darkness closed in and they returned to their base. Overnight, Yamamoto continued with his mission, sailing south down the Malayan peninsula. The next morning Yamamoto increased the order to eighty-four planes. This time he sent bombers and torpedo planes. They flew all morning and still had not found the Dutch fleet, when a screening destroyer of the transport / battleship fleet reported smoke on the horizon. Incredibly, in the confined waters Admiral Helfrich had managed to remain undetected and upon sighting the Japanese transports attempted to maneuver to bring the outermost escorts into range. Admiral Yamamoto sent off an urgent radio message reporting the Dutch fleet’s position and then began reforming his fleet to protect the transports, while the battleships and cruisers raced in the direction of the Dutch. Admiral Helfrich, spotting the six modern battleships and supporting cruisers bearing down on him, fled. It did not save him. The land based air force arrived and in less than an hour most of the Dutch fleet had been sunk. One cruiser and three destroyers managed to evade destruction and disappear into the darkness. The main naval obstacle to the East Indies was now at the bottom of the sea.

Satisfactory as it was to sink these ships and put an end to allied sea power in the region, Yamamoto knew that he had not yet given Japan the turnaround time she needed to consolidate victories not yet won. It was still too early to begin planning for the second phase. He could not even be sure that the Americans would shortly come forth to do battle, with the two to four carrier task forces the Japanese naval estimates gave them. In fact, the Americans could have come forth to do battle, if the news of the attacks in the south had not completely paralyzed the American political establishment. The news of the attacks on Britain and the Dutch had burst over Washington like a heat lightning storm. The Americans had made promises to help defend Britain and the Indies in the Pacific, but now, without any emotional event to rally the masses, strong protests against intervening were voiced from many directions. Most notably, the State Department, still negotiating with Ambassador Nomura, was unwilling to sever diplomatic ties when any hope of a diplomatic solution still remained. Most newspapers preferred to report on the war as an extension of Japan’s “anti-colonial wars” as the New York Times put it. The British and Commonwealth missions to Washington tried to besiege the White House for a decision, only to be rebuffed by Harry Hopkins, with the statement that Roosevelt was “considering all the options and ramifications and would make the correct decision in good time.” Roosevelt took three days to sample the winds of opinion and then decided to remain neutral “for the foreseeable future.”

The American failure to come to the support of their neighbors in the first months of the war was more a human failure than a lack of means. The actual coming of war was an enormous wrench to the American political climate, so used to waiting until being directly threatened before jumping to action. There was an American hawk lobby, as evidenced by the bitter speeches made in the houses of Congress, but the Japanese attack scheme had achieved the psychological aim of confusing the American will. Meanwhile, the constant stream of victories for the Japanese continued and the euphoria and sense of superiority continued to grow within the Japanese military establishment.

Well, it seems that everything is going more or less acording to plan in the southern campaign. And further, US opposition has failed to materialize for the time being.

I suppose the approaching question is what will Japan do next, as victory in the South seems imminent. Granted, it's not over yet: Singapore and Hong Kong are still in British hands, and it seems significant portions of the Dutch East Indies have yet to be taken. Moreover, there's a chance a British fleet or two will yet present itself in the region. Well, I guess I'll have to wait and see. ;)

Feedback!

Chesterton: Yep, everything is going to plan so far...granted we are only a week into the southern operation, but still...so far, so good. I was surprised by the lack of US interventionism. My plan was designed to keep them from intervening, I just didn't anticipate being so successful at it. As to further opposition you'll have to wait and see. As to next steps: that will all depend on how quickly the current operations can be wrapped up and what happens in the meantime...vague I know, but I can't give away the story prematurely!

NiseJapanses: Thank you for your kind words! To think that I might induce someone to buy the obsolete version of a game that they already own is quite a statement to my ego...Thanks!

All readAARS and LurkAARS: Unfortunately, I will not be able to update for the next couple of days as I will be traveling to the Washington D.C. area for a job interview. The next update might not come until next weekend. Until then...may your week be filled with joy. ;)

I like the depth and detail of the diplomacy, something that is lost on action-heavy AAR's. I also like how you've managed to reconcile historic happenings with the a-historic path your AAR is taking. That poem read by Hirohito was the same one he read historically, correct? I also like how you had Yamashita command the forces in Maylay ;)

How are you going to wait for the eventual US DOW or will you take the first strike? Actually, WHERE will you strike, now that there are no ships in Pearl Harbor?

I've wanted to try HOI1 for a while actually. I hear that their tech tree is much more detailed, and that ships upgrade to the most current model?? Completely alien and terrifying.

NiseJapanses: I actually sort of prefer the HoI1 techtree to the newer one since it is much more detailed. It's a bit more complicated because there are so many more techs, but certainly not overly so.

TheExecuter: Best wishes. I hope your job interview goes well. :)