• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No One Worships the Setting Sun

No One Worships the Setting Sun

Between March and May 1942 the British Raj had been stripped of what had long been considered its most precious asset, prestige. The process was painful and public. On March 19, Singapore surrendered and over 50,000 British, Indian and Australian troops laid down their arms after a short struggle against the Japanese army. Next, the Japanese thrust into Burma, capturing Rangoon in May and Mandalay over the summer. India now faced an invasion by an adversary whose declared aim was to free Asians from European rule. Malays and Burmese took the Japanese at their word and welcomed them as liberators. The balance of power in southern Asia was swinging decisively against Britain. During the summer, Japanese fleets cruised at will around the Indian Ocean which had been a British waterway since 1800.

Nothing better illustrated the new dispensation of power in Asia or, for that matter, the rest of the world. For a time, all that Viceroy Linlithgow’s advisors could come up with in the way of a defense strategy was a ‘scorched earth’ policy if Bengal was invaded. The Raj had lost one of its traditional justifications, the ability to protect India. Discredited by defeat and unable to defend itself, the Raj could no longer expect the co-operation of its subjects. Even before the disaster at Singapore, Linlithgow was aware that he and his government were facing harsh new realities. Their implication was chilling, as he explained in a cable to Leo Amery, the Secretary of State for India:

The Cabinet will I think agree with me that India and Burma have no natural association with the Empire, from which they are alien by race, history, and religion, and for which as such neither of them have any natural affection, and both are in the Empire because they are conquered countries which had been brought there by force, kept there by our controls, and which hitherto it has suited to remain under our protection. I suspect that the moment they think we may lose the war or take a bad knock, their leaders would be much more concerned to make terms with the victor at our expense than to fight for ideals to which so much lip-service is given…

The Viceroy’s mordant analysis was substantially correct. Early in April, Linlithgow confessed that he lacked the forces to resist a Japanese landing on the Cuttack coast and could not prevent an advance into Orissa. Disaster could be averted if, by some means, the Indian National Congress could be induced to become a partner in the war effort. The will was certainly there in some quarters. On April 16, Nehru told a rally in Delhi:

If today we were masters of our own destiny we would ask people to get ready and defend the country with all our might. Unfortunately obstinate, worthless, and incompetent Government still has its grip tight on us.

The government which Nehru despised was all too aware that its popularity would be immeasurably strengthened if, somehow, it could break the Indian nationalistic deadlock. Generous concessions to nationalist sentiment offered a remedy for the apathy and, in many instances, open hostility to Britain which infected millions of Indians. But interference from British Tories, led by Churchill, quashed any thought of concessions and continued the British direct control of the direction of India’s war effort. Internal enemies would be eliminated in order for India to face the danger to its frontiers. The Japanese, whose offensive had been momentarily halted by transport shortages, were expected to renew the offensive in late August. One danger had, however, been removed; over the summer, the Japanese navy was fully engaged shuttling troops and supplies to the invasions of Australia. There were no ships to spare for those amphibious operations against India which had been a major source of anxiety to the Viceroy and his military staff.

The timing, extent, and nature of the internal upheavals depended upon Congress and, above all, Gandhi. From April to July he was preparing for a campaign of civil disobedience which, he promised foreign newspapermen on July 15 would be the biggest yet. His objective was the immediate departure of the British from India, an act, he sincerely believed, that would remove the threat of Japanese invasion. So long as the British remained, the Japanese would be tempted to attack India. “The very novelty of the British stroke will confound the Japanese,” he said with unintentional irony, and “dissolve hatred against the British.” If the Japanese belligerency did not evaporate in the face of this amazing gesture, and Gandhi was never sure that it would, Indians would have to oppose them non-violently. Just what this might entail, he revealed at the beginning of April:

…the resisters may find that the Japanese are utterly heartless and that they do not care how many they kill. The non-violent resisters will have won the day inasmuch as they will have preferred extermination to submission.

Gandhi had become utterly careless with the lives of his countrymen. He told a News Chronicle journalist that the British would have to “leave India in God’s hands, but in modern parlance to anarchy, and that anarchy may lead to internecine warfare for a time. From this a true India will rise in the place of the false one we see,” which no doubt would comfort the survivors. Alternately beset by Japanese and British tax gatherers, Indians might, he conceded, have to defend themselves. For this purpose, he recommended “gymnastics, drill, lathi play, and the like.” All that mattered for Gandhi was that the British left India; the future could take care of itself. This was the irresponsibility of a man for whom every other consideration was subordinate to a single aim: the emancipation of India on his own terms. Nothing else mattered, least of all the reality of the war being waged outside India. He must have known the human costs of a brief spell of anarchy to the ordinary people of India – his own journal, Harijan, had described them in some detail.

Gandhi’s plan followed well-established lines in the first phases, with token infractions of minor laws, withdrawal of co-operations at all levels of government, boycotts, and strikes. Stages five and six were novel and contrived to hamper the war effort: disruption of trains, cutting telegraph and telephone lines, withholding rents and taxes and picketing soldiers. Participants were cautioned not to undertake any activity which might endanger life, but in the past such warnings had not been heeded.

After several months of debate and prevarication and not without severe misgivings among its member, Congress took the plunge on August 8. It invited the British to ‘Quit India’ and, correctly guessing what the response would be, called on its supporters to make the country ungovernable. Early the next day, Gandhi, Nehru and most of Congress’s leadership were arrested and interned. Just before his arrest Gandhi called on his followers to “go out to die not to live” and, aware that Congress’s superstructure was about to be swept away, urged every demonstrator to become his own leader. From the start, he knew that it would be impossible for the movement to be directed or synchronized from above, although the resourceful Congress leaders in Delhi had procured loudspeaker equipment beforehand. They used it to broadcast the news of Gandhi’s arrest in the streets on August 9, in what turned out to be the prelude to riots, attacks on Europeans and damage to government and railway property. The pattern was much the same across the country. The distribution of food was disrupted and caused shortages in the larger cities. Crowds gathered, clashed with the police and assaulted anybody or anything which represented authority. Revenue offices and police stations were the favorite targets for assaults and arson, and, most alarmingly to the army, stations and signal boxes were burned. Railway tracks were torn up and telegraph and telephone lines were torn down.

Linlithgow told Churchill on August 31, that “I am engaged here in meeting by far the most serious rebellion since that of 1857, the gravity and extent of which we have so far concealed from the world for reasons of military security…Mob violence remains rampant over large tracts of the countryside and I am by no means confident that we may not see in September a formidable effort to renew this widespread sabotage of our war effort.” Churchill was at his most adamant and made clear his position on the uprising and India in general with this declaration:

…we mean to hold our own. I have not become the King’s first minister in order to preside over the liquidation of the British Empire.

Days later, the irony of his words was proved apparent, as the Japanese renewed their offensive and attacked the hastily assembled British troops on the Imphal line. General Yoshiro’s four division vanguard of mobile troops effected a small breakthrough and poured through the gap in a race to reach Calcutta. The rest of the mobile troops under Yamashita followed quickly and moved to exploit the breach and push the majority of defending units to positions north of the Ganges. General Lockhart gamely attempted to extract his army from its predicament along the railways to the west, but was hampered by the effects of the uprising. Communications were spotty, and trains had difficulty getting through with supplies or returning with troops. He bitterly concluded in a dispatch to Viceroy Linlithgow, that he was now operating in an “occupied and hostile country.”

Three weeks later, on October 3, General Yoshihiro arrived at Calcutta and severed the Bengal rail lines. Lockhart had succeeded in extracting half his force from the trap, but those forces were in no condition to fight a mobile defensive battle as they were suffering a shortage of trucks and horses. They promptly began retreating towards Delhi. At the beginning, this retreat was orderly, but it soon developed into a panicked rout. Yoshihiro followed hard after this force, and, in a series of minor skirmishes, continued to pursue up the Ganges river valley. Behind him the full might of the Imperial Japanese Army spread out and began occupying the central plains of the subcontinent with the ultimate objectives of Bombay and Madras. No British or Indian troops existed between this army and Persia. Indians now sensed as never before that the days of the British Raj were numbered.

At what point would the commonwealth seek peace and cut its losses? How little would the japanese accept?

Interesting to see a phenomonally successful japan. Feverish days of success- comes as a prelude to fighting america, I suppose.

Feedback

Jorath13 said:
Oh, I'm SOOO loving this AAR! The stories "from the front" are also what I look forward to. Good work and thank you for inspiring me to write up my own AAR of the Japanese efforts.

Thank you! This was my first attempt at such writing and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've enjoyed your AAR start and am hoping that you will be able to update faster than I have been...hint hint. :D

kingmbutu said:
I am loving it as well... keep up the good work

Welcome to the show. Glad your having a good time and thanks for the motivational pick-me-up. Update will be following this post.

kingmbutu said:
So much for the crown jewel of the British Empire!

Yep. Is Britain even a threat anymore? We'll have to find out...

Curbough said:
At what point would the commonwealth seek peace and cut its losses? How little would the japanese accept?

Interesting to see a phenomonally successful japan. Feverish days of success- comes as a prelude to fighting america, I suppose.

Another first poster! Welcome good sir. This topic will be covered in the update after next. Britain still holds the middle east, africa, and Canada so they still have a decent powerbase. That base is quite far from my military power, so stay tuned to see what happens. Japan would probably be satisfied with a recognition of the new governments in Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malasia, Burma, Siam, India, Pakistan, etc. However, I doubt Churchill would accept an Australia and New Zealand aligned and subjugated by an Asian state.

As to America, I'm trying not to fight them and so far :eek: they have decided to leave me alone. I'm not taking this for granted though, but future episodes will prove whether the risks I take in the coming year were worth it.

The Phrase ‘Win First, Fight Later’ can be summed up in the two words ‘Win Beforehand

The Phrase ‘Win First, Fight Later’ can be summed up in the two words ‘Win Beforehand’

In retrospect, the collapse of British authority in India could probably have been reliably predicted by most knowledgeable observers. The presence of strong nationalistic fervor, harnessed and controlled by several influential and powerful leaders, and combined with the threat of invasion from a potentially liberating force created the environment in which Japan was able to easily conquer the entire subcontinent. The propaganda line Asia for Asiatics was relentlessly promoted by air dropped leaflets and the Greater East Asian Radio Network during the months required to prepare the invasion. Yet this was not the only factor in Japan's success.

Ever since the military mission to Germany in 1940 the army had been impressed with General Yamashita’s reports on blitzkrieg tactics and the effective use of armor on the battlefield. Yamashita had proposed that the success of blitzkrieg had been due to excellent coordination and combination of units in order to create the maximum confusion amongst the enemy while maintaining the maximally efficient advance. However, merely applying the German model to the Japanese army had presented serious problems. For starters, the Japanese army did not have a large force of tanks to act as a shock force. The majority of divisions were composed of infantry due to a lack of tank factories. The army air bombing force was not large, consisting of only 500 planes. And finally, the vast distances involved in Asian warfare made coordination and control on the German model impossible. The Japanese solution was the mechanized division. Infantry and light armor or self propelled artillery would be combined into one unit. The infantry were provided with enough motor transport to move them without the need to march and each individual division was responsible for coordinating the infantry / armor mix to put the enemy to flight. The end results were faster moving divisions capable of acting without air and armor support for long periods of time. It was with these units that General Yoshihiro had broken through the Imphal line and boldly captured Calcutta.

From the moment Calcutta fell and General Lockhart began his ill-fated retreat to Delhi, the British army offered no serious resistance to the invasion. General Yoshihiro’s mechanized divisions raced up the Ganges river valley, stopping only to brush aside any resistance which threatened to hold up the advance. British soldiers wishing to surrender in order to avoid the killing pace of the retreat were stunned to be ignored by the onrushing vehicles. They would eventually surrender to the support units following behind the headlong advance. This ‘impetuous dash’ later called by Yoshihiro ‘the crowning achievement of my military career’ lasted for thirty days. That is how long Yoshihiro took to cover the approximately 1500 km. By the end of the advance, the forty thousand men General Lockhart had led out of Calcutta had ceased to exist in coherent organized units.

While this frantic advance was carried out in the north, similar feats of speed were made by the forces under General Yamashita, though these units faced no organized resistance and in most cases were welcomed by the population. By the first week of November, both Delhi and Bombay were firmly in Japanese hands and only isolated pockets of resistance remained in northern Burma and the central mountains where a few of the princes loyal to Britain were mustering their obsolete militias for the last stand of the Raj. In fact, the most serious resistance encountered, and that which eventually halted the advance, was the vast distances covered. With supply lines stretching for thousands of kilometers, the army could not continue advancing at a breakneck pace indefinitely. The effects of this problem effectively ground the advance to a halt outside of Hyderabad in late November. This brief respite enabled the British to establish a shaky defensive line in the Persian mountains and end the disastrous mobile warfare. Over the next few months, the Japanese launched several abortive assaults on these positions, but the terrain and supply situation mandated a slow, infantry advance into the mountains.

With the easy work of conquest completed, the army turned to the establishment of local government in order to bring India fully into the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. The generals were afraid that a united and powerful India would act as competition to Japans leadership of the Co-Prosperity Sphere. General Yamashita spoke publicly “of our goals of self-governance in India, peaceful relations between Hindu and Moslem, and economic partnership with the peoples of the subcontinent.” In his dealings with India’s leaders, he attempted to project himself as a plain-dealing, honest soldier. This was his way of avoiding the deviousness and deliberate obfuscation which would become the hallmarks of Japanese policy with regard to Indian independence. His mannerism became a handicap when it came to negotiations with Jinnah, Gandhi, and Nehru; who were not only astute politicians but lawyers. Each was a product of the English Bar, where they had been trained in the techniques of combative debate in which compromise was always a poor second to outright victory. The adversarial dexterity of India’s tribunes encouraged captiousness and a tendency to get bogged down in legal trivialities. These constitutional quibbles were of supreme importance to Congress and the Muslim League. Each was seeking power and could only secure it through a constitutional framework that accommodated their interests.

The Muslim league had gained strength during the war. It had portrayed the imminent invasion of Japan as a great opportunity coupled with great danger. Jinnah, the head and voice of the League, was afraid that if Japan granted India her independence as a single entity, the nation’s 90 million Muslims would be persecuted by the Hindu majority. During the fall, Jinnah had grown more confident and clamorous, seeking nothing less than Pakistan, a Muslim state which would embrace the Sind, the North-West Frontier Province, Kashmir, the Punjab, and Bengal. So far as Nehru and Gandhi were concerned, India was indivisible and any form of partition would be a violation of their motherland. Congress suspected that the League had been encouraged by the Japanese as a device to maintain its paramount status – a crude sort of ‘divide and rule.’ Emphasizing the unity of all Indians, Gandhi reminded Muslims that their ancestors had once been Hindus. But neither he nor any other Congress leader could ever quite convince the Muslim masses that the movement was not at heart Hindu and that, given the chance, it would impose a Hindu Raj on India.

A time-bomb was beginning to tick away. The governor of the Punjab predicted that the creation of Pakistan would provoke civil war in the province, with the entire Sikh and Hindu communities up in arms. Elsewhere, communal tensions continued to simmer and sometimes boiled over. The murder of a Sikh by a Muslim led to religious riots and murders in Ahmadabad, while a provocative ‘anti-Pakistan Day’ held in Bihar was followed by a spate of disorders which left thirty dead and over a hundred wounded. A sinister pattern began to emerge. Outrages in one side’s district would be quickly avenged in another district. The situation horrified the Japanese cabinet. A simple war of liberation had turned into a complicated arbitration of a messy divorce. After weeks of discussions with the principle leaders, Yamashita was told to turn the problem over to a team of representatives appointed to study potential solutions. In the end, this solution by committee approach perpetuated the colonial, military government and resulted in the establishment of a semi-permanent military occupation. No timetable would ever be drawn up for ending the occupation.