• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SAS invented early?

This reminds in early WWI the pilots would come back from reconnaissance and use their armored vehicles and use hit and run attacks on the enemy.

I think that, instead of inventing the SAS with some years in advance, the British are recovering the tactics used in Palestine and Arabia during WW1. Lawrence is back :D

Inkana said:
As the weather became calmer and their supply lines more consolidated, the Western Desert Corps began to gear up for an offensive. However, what they didn’t take into account was the Ottoman Air Corps, and what their planes could do to a defenseless army..
Very little? A short-ranged, low bomb-load biplane flown by inexperienced and baldly trained pilots. It's not a big threat is it?

Nice to see Keyes giving the Turk a damned good thrashing at sea, The Med is a British Lake and hopefully everyone know realises that. :D

wilegfass & Kurt_Steiner: Kurt's right. The SAS wasn't invented, it was just simple desert raids using armored cars. The SAS will come, though, don't you worry.

Btw, wilegfass, I've been thinking about Greece's role in the Great War. They're going to be pretty pivitol. Just thought you'd like to know. :)

HKslan: Thank you, sir! Welcome aboard, and enjoy!

El Pip:The Turks ran in fear of a single british biplane bomber in 1917. Even the worst aircraft can be effective against undefended land forces.

Oh, and Britannia Rules the Seas. ;)

Edzako said:
At least some thing isn't changed comparing with real history :D
Yes, sir. Even more so, actually. With no naval treaties to reduce the size of ships and a naval race that lasts from 1871- instead of 1871-1918, the Royal Navy is even more of a force to be reckoned with!

Thanks for reading, and keep up the comments! :)

EmprorCoopinius said:
Just been reading through this, quite an accomplishment. Can't wait for more.
Thank you very much! More you shall have.

God Save Us All - Part Six
A Peace Resting on Quicksand

Chapter 48 – The Suez War, Part 4

The British offensive, code-named “Operation: Pillar”, was set to kick off on February 3rd, 1936. The main objective of the operation, like most military endeavors into Palestine, was the capture of Jerusalem and the expulsion of the Turkish army there. Leading the attack was the 1st Armoured Division, under the command of General Percy Hobart after he took over for General Herbert Lumsden, who was forced back to England due to sickness. Hobart wasn’t well liked by the War Office due to his “unconventional” ideas on warfare, but the recent success of armor in the Sinai had prompted them to give the much-maligned General a chance.

hobart1.jpg

General Percy Hobart.

Set to face the Western Desert Corps was the undermanned and under supplied Turkish Army under Enver Pasha. More men had been brought in from other parts of the empire, but as the Pasha had found out in the Sinai, a regiment of infantry holding rifles was no match for 5 tanks with 2-pound guns and 30mm of armor. To counter that, the Pasha ordered several 37mm anti-aircraft guns from Istanbul. Reports from the first battles in the Sinai had said that anti-aircraft gunners had achieved some degree of success using these guns against British armor, especially the Cruiser Mk I with it’s thin outer shell. Enver only hoped that this would be enough to beat back an assault into his lines.

On the morning of February 3rd, the diesel engines of British tanks were heard rumbling to life. The British had made no attempt whatsoever to hide their preparations for Operation: Pillar, instead, they had preferred to let their intentions be known, challenging the Turks to stop them. What they hadn’t counted on, though, was the rather large amount of aircraft that the Ottomans had amassed in Palestine. Most of the planes were Prussian-supplied Henschel HS 123 Fighter-Bombers, but the Turks had also gotten their hands on a few Italian Breda Ba.65 Ground Attack aircraft. The British also had a substantial number of warplanes in the theatre, but most were stationed in Alexandria, as the threat of the Ottoman Air Corps was never fully realized.

ba65_3st_pantelleria1941.jpg

A Turkish Ba.65 At a Palestinian Airfield.

This was to prove costly.

Seeing as the Turks had pulled most of their forces from the front lines, having conceded them to the Western Desert Corps (WDC) before they had even crossed into it, the British had an easy time advancing into Palestine at first. This didn’t last very long, though. Turkish resistance began to stiffen, and the British advance slowed to a crawl. The Turks had learned their lesson in the Sinai, and found that tanks undefended by infantry were easy targets for their 37mm AA guns. This little weapon proved not only to just be deadly to the British tanks, but devastating. One round could pierce the armor and usually reach the gasoline tank, transforming what was once a deadly weapon of war into nothing more than a flaming wreck. To make things even worse for the WDC was the Ottoman Air Corps, particularly the two squadrons or so of Breda Ba.65s. Out in the open, with almost no air cover, the Ba 65s simply wreaked havoc onto the British. This didn’t last long, as the RAF’s presence was soon called for over Palestine and quickly received.

Nonetheless, the damage had been done. Less than 2 weeks into Operation: Pillar and the WDC had lost 50% of its armor and about 4,000 men. It pressed on its attack, though, and the Ottomans had no choice but to keep withdrawing in the face of overwhelming numbers and firepower. After three weeks of hard fighting and heavy casualties, on February 26th, 1936, the Union Jack was raised over Jerusalem. The War Office in London called for the Western Desert Corps to press on further into Syria, however, General Auchinleck declined, instead choosing to rest and reinforce his tired and depleted army.

Meanwhile, at sea, a British blockade of the Ottoman Empire’s Mediterranean ports was beginning to bear its fruit. The Turks were forced to turn to Russia for its imports of food and natural resources, a move that Istanbul would have rather avoided. Russia complied, but did not provide much.

The Royal Navy used this war as a chance to experiment with submarines, which had previously never been used in action. They prove to be incredibly successful, sinking many Turkish merchant ships, and even an Ottoman cruiser. The world took note of this, especially France, which had a submersible program going back to the 1880s.

imageSubmarine2sinking.gif

A Turkish Merchant Ship Sunken by a British Submarine.

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
Good to say the good guys winining.

THe british navy looks to be almost unstoppable. All that's left (I think) are aircraft carriers.

Inkana said:
Btw, wilegfass, I've been thinking about Greece's role in the Great War. They're going to be pretty pivitol. Just thought you'd like to know.

Yay! Just goes to show if you whine enough, you'll get exactly what you want. (Sorry if I got annoying and complained too much)

Last edited:
Lessons have been learnt by the British Army it seems. Hopefully we can get General Wilson and his Motor-Rifle battalions involved to support the tanks (~1932 in the normal timeline so not a big jump)

I do hope the submarines returns to port flying the Jolly Roger from their 'Damn piratical vessel'. :D

Ba65? Which disgusting surprises may have the Turkish armed forces in store?

CR.42?

8.8?

Bah. The bad guys are winning it seems.

Long live Free Egypt!

I'm liking the updates as always. No time for a detailed analysis. However, I would like to point out one thing that tends to bother me in AARs. You're mixing up your tenses a bit in the last update - e.g. 'The War Office in London called for the Western Desert Corps to press on further into Syria, however, General Auchinleck declines', 'ports was beginning to bear its fruit. The Turks are forced', or 'Russia complies, but did not provide much'.

It's mostly just a stylistic thing, but the rest of the writing is good enough that these little errors really stand out. Great work otherwise.

wilegfass: You'll be getting a nice dose of Aircraft Carriers very soon, methinks. ;)

Oh hush, you're not a bother at all. Your comments are always welcome and helpful. They got me thinking about Greece.

El Pip: Yessir. The next step for the British Army will be a fully motorized/mechanized force so that those damn Turks can't continue to blow their tanks to kingdom come!

Kurt_Steiner:
I think that the Ba.65 is about the furthest along in aircraft that the Turks will have. At least in this war. Prior to the Suez War, little or no priority was put into a nation's air force.

Arilou: It appears so. But the Egyptians won't be held completely down for long, I can assure you of that.

Karelian: Thank you very much, sir! I hope you enjoy the rest of the ride. Finland is pretty dormant at the moment. It saw a little action in the Russian Revolution, but at the moment not much is going on in the Grand Duchy.

Phoenix Dace: Oh, lordy. You are very right about that sir. I usually try to correct my use(or lacktherof) of past-tense as I'm writing, but as you've pointed out, it slips through. I'll have to go back and fix that.

Thank you!(And get to work on your AARs! If I can come back from my slumber, so can you! :) )

There you go. I went back and edited most of the chapters following the Great Eastern War to correct the past-tense thing.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I also updated the index on page 1.

Last edited:
Expect an update to be up sometime this weekend.

Cheers. :)

Glaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad to know. :D