• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was frowning at my Steam library yesterday, wondering if any game would ever capture the love I had for Eu2. For some reason I decided to log on to the forums after several years and I see you guys hard at work adding actual features. Amazing. Now to dive into the - and I can't believe I'm saying this in 2024 - new beta.

Many thanks!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I was frowning at my Steam library yesterday, wondering if any game would ever capture the love I had for Eu2. For some reason I decided to log on to the forums after several years and I see you guys hard at work adding actual features. Amazing. Now to dive into the - and I can't believe I'm saying this in 2024 - new beta.

Many thanks!
Welcome back, fellow old-timer! Be sure to check out our Discord if you haven't already joined. I've already posted some sneak peeks of the next beta patch on there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
With a new beta on the way, I wanted to ask about how an existing saved game will be affected by changes in a new beta. From what I've seen, you can't add new files to events.txt, but you can modify existing events. If you add an event to an existing file it looks like you can trigger that event from the command window, but I don't know if the new event will be triggered normally. It looks like you can't add new monarchs or leaders. Do you happen to know what can and can't be changed in a pre-existing saved game?

And one other thing -- the scenarios are all configured with 10 countries that get saved in detail. I find it helpful to have more (e.g. AGCEEP has 25). Could more be added to the vanilla scenarios?

With a new beta on the way, I wanted to ask about how an existing saved game will be affected by changes in a new beta. From what I've seen, you can't add new files to events.txt, but you can modify existing events. If you add an event to an existing file it looks like you can trigger that event from the command window, but I don't know if the new event will be triggered normally. It looks like you can't add new monarchs or leaders. Do you happen to know what can and can't be changed in a pre-existing saved game?

And one other thing -- the scenarios are all configured with 10 countries that get saved in detail. I find it helpful to have more (e.g. AGCEEP has 25). Could more be added to the vanilla scenarios?
New events added to an existing event file will be read by the game.
New event files will not be read, but can be added to the list of files read by adding it to the save file.
New leaders and monarchs will not be read by the save game for existing countries, but will be read if they are for countries that don't exist at the time of the save but revolt into existence.
New leaders and monarchs can be added to the game for existing countries by adding them to the save file.

Aye.

Reactions:
I can answer this: no.

It's obviously possible, so if you wish to do this yourself you can, but we prefer to keep the vanilla feel (EU2 had 8 countries by default, FtG has 9 due to the higher screen resolution allowing for an extra one to be slotted in at the end) and most scenarios have unique text for these countries. The aim is to add text for the remaining scenarios in the final 1.3 update, which will come alongside a reference guide and an updated version of the PDF game manual (which are being worked on). No one is going to volunteer to write 25 lots of country strategy text per scenario.

New events added to an existing event file will be read by the game.
New event files will not be read, but can be added to the list of files read by adding it to the save file.
New leaders and monarchs will not be read by the save game for existing countries, but will be read if they are for countries that don't exist at the time of the save but revolt into existence.
New leaders and monarchs can be added to the game for existing countries by adding them to the save file.

Aye.
Oh, interesting, I hadn't thought of adding them to the save file. Nice.

I did add a bunch of countries to the scenario file, but I didn't see how to set the colors to use in the ledger graphs.