• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the problem?
Because it is better to have a public discussion which others can contribute to, and also so the information is archived and can be more easily be found later. This is quite helpful, and in particular with AGCEEP feedback as even 15-20 year old posts can still be useful when making changes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The game freezes if I select the HRE screen (clicking the missionary button again), if there are no Electors, like in my mod now (MUS is an Emperor, no Electors, no HRE provinces).

The game freezes if I select the HRE screen (clicking the missionary button again), if there are no Electors, like in my mod now (MUS is an Emperor, no Electors, no HRE provinces).
Try making 1614 a HRE province, make MUS catholic and give MUS an elector. edit: you may have to give MUS a monarch as well.

Aye.

Thanks, will fix in next beta.

Bless you.
I'm waiting for a new version of your shields pack.

Thanks, will fix in next beta.
It was your mistake to answer me.

Please add the possibility to add more than four event actions (a, b, c, d). If it is not difficult. Four is not enough for me. I nead moar. At least two moar (e, f). I need them for some events. I was even surprised that the game can operate only with four and no more.

With each release you improve the event engine, allowing modders to use some minus numbers to optimise scripts and create new events that were not possible before. It is great. I want "control = { province = -2 data = -1 }" to check if the country controls its capital. :)

But my biggest dream is still to be able to change the army and navy sprite tags, as well as the leader_language and new_colony tags using commands. I already talked about this, when I wrote my wishlist somewhere here this year. Such commands will allow me to create only one country instead of dozens in many cases.

I cannot find a command to instantly give the crown of the HRE Emperor to a specific country. Doesn't such a command exist? I tried in vain to find your event to dissolve the HRE and make MUS an emperor in the 19th century. Where is it?

Is the "command = { type = disbandrebels which = -1 value = TAG_OF_A_CERTAIN_REBEL_TYPE }" OK for disbanding only a certain rebel type, but not disbanding other types?
Does the "disbandrebel" command work like the "desertion" command? I mean, with minus numbers (like -1) it works only in your own provinces, but with specific province Ids (and only with them) it works in the foreign ones too. By the way, it is very boring to write hundred commands to desert troops over a certain foreign region.

What about two "wheres" in one command? For example, "command = { type = CAV which = 492 value = 3000 where = China where = coastal }". Does this work correctly?

When the For the Glory first came out, I wondered why the Europa Universalis 2 was published again with only minor changes. I thought it was a scam to get money for the same game. But over the years the game has acquired so many new features that it was worth it. Now I don't even have time to make changes to my mod to keep up with innovations. Just when I want to release a new version of the Ab Urbe Condita, a new patch comes out. This is great.
Thank you for your work. If I had money and you would answer private messages or explain why you stopped responding, I would give it to you. But I'm a beggar. So nevermind.

It was your mistake to answer me.
:D
Please add the possibility to add more than four event actions (a, b, c, d). If it is not difficult. Four is not enough for me. I nead moar. At least two moar (e, f). I need them for some events. I was even surprised that the game can operate only with four and no more.
That ability was in FTG v1.0. Just call them "action" instead of "action_e", "action_f", etc. I didn't program in every letter of the alphabet as a possible action, but you can use as many actions as you can fit in the event window.

With each release you improve the event engine, allowing modders to use some minus numbers to optimise scripts and create new events that were not possible before. It is great. I want "control = { province = -2 data = -1 }" to check if the country controls its capital. :)
Not a bad idea, although we don't currently support -2 in any province triggers (just province commands). I will see about it.

But my biggest dream is still to be able to change the army and navy sprite tags, as well as the leader_language and new_colony tags using commands. I already talked about this, when I wrote my wishlist somewhere here this year. Such commands will allow me to create only one country instead of dozens in many cases.
That's a little more difficult. We'll see.

I cannot find a command to instantly give the crown of the HRE Emperor to a specific country. Doesn't such a command exist? I tried in vain to find your event to dissolve the HRE and make MUS an emperor in the 19th century. Where is it?
We don't have such an event. Rather, the game engine now doesn't hold an election if no HRE provinces (or no electors) exist. The crown is taken from its holder but not given to anyone.

Is the "command = { type = disbandrebels which = -1 value = TAG_OF_A_CERTAIN_REBEL_TYPE }" OK for disbanding only a certain rebel type, but not disbanding other types?
Does the "disbandrebel" command work like the "desertion" command? I mean, with minus numbers (like -1) it works only in your own provinces, but with specific province Ids (and only with them) it works in the foreign ones too. By the way, it is very boring to write hundred commands to desert troops over a certain foreign region.
I thought briefly of implementing value = TAG when I wrote the disbandrebels command, but for some reason didn't do it. It will likely be in the next beta.

What about two "wheres" in one command? For example, "command = { type = CAV which = 492 value = 3000 where = China where = coastal }". Does this work correctly?
No, but... as written, neither "where" would work on its own since the province is not randomized. where = coastal can still be done geographically if you use the -10XX format of randomization, although you do lose some flexibility in randomization with -10XX.

When the For the Glory first came out, I wondered why the Europa Universalis 2 was published again with only minor changes. I thought it was a scam to get money for the same game. But over the years the game has acquired so many new features that it was worth it. Now I don't even have time to make changes to my mod to keep up with innovations. Just when I want to release a new version of the Ab Urbe Condita, a new patch comes out. This is great.
Thank you for your work. If I had money and you would answer private messages or explain why you stopped responding, I would give it to you. But I'm a beggar. So nevermind.

• 1Like
Reactions:

That ability was in FTG v1.0. Just call them "action" instead of "action_e", "action_f", etc. I didn't program in every letter of the alphabet as a possible action, but you can use as many actions as you can fit in the event window.
If I use several actions without _letters in one event and the actions are mutually exclusive due to their individual triggers, so the event has only one action at a time in the game, then sometimes the game shows the wrong information about the commands (their results) in the event window. The game shows the correct commands in a pop-up window, when the cursor is over the button, and the incorrect ones in white text above the button.

We don't have such an event. Rather, the game engine now doesn't hold an election if no HRE provinces (or no electors) exist. The crown is taken from its holder but not given to anyone.
So we cannot manually appoint an emperor with an event? Is there no such simple command?
And where is your event that makes all the provinces type = hre value = no to dissolve the HRE?

I thought briefly of implementing value = TAG when I wrote the disbandrebels command, but for some reason didn't do it. It will likely be in the next beta.
It is very important to have such an option.
You wrote nothing on the second part of my question. About how disbandrebels works. So I shall continue to think that its behaviour is similar to the behavour of the desertion command.

No, but... as written, neither "where" would work on its own since the province is not randomized. where = coastal can still be done geographically if you use the -10XX format of randomization, although you do lose some flexibility in randomization with -10XX.
I just forgot to write "which = -1".

#——————————————————————————————————————————————————

You allowed rebel factions to have multiple geographic areas. This is great because this helps avoid some ahistorical sequences with rebels, but not all of them. I need the ability to enter even specific province IDs. For exampe, I want to create in my mod a rebel faction, the Latini, they should appear in only one province, Latium.
Don't you think one more rebel type should be added, the inland (not the pirate) raiders?

If I use several actions without _letters in one event and the actions are mutually exclusive due to their individual triggers, so the event has only one action at a time in the game, then sometimes the game shows the wrong information about the commands (their results) in the event window. The game shows the correct commands in a pop-up window, when the cursor is over the button, and the incorrect ones in white text above the button.
This is why I stopped using actions without _letters in multy-actions events. Because of this bug, I thought that an action without _letter is only for single-action events. Especially after I saw that you use action_a for some reason (out of habit?) even in single-action events.

You have finally added Portuguese culture. Michael D. Myers, I recommend you ( :D ) to add Sinhalese and Laotian cultures for the reasons of humanism. I cannot even imagine how many Sinhalese players have died of heart attack over all that years after seeing that in the FtG all of Ceylon is Tamil and the Kingdom of Ceylon is Tamil. A crime against humanity.
Same for the AGCEEP.

Speaking of HRE scripts. There is no trigger to check if a province is in the HRE. It is important. Now I am implementing the HRE mechanics into my mod. And I have to create several hundred almost identical events that add specific provinces to the HRE if they are owned and controlled by specific countries. If I have a trigger to check if a province is already in the HRE, I would be able to do everything I needed with just one giant persistent event.

Edited:
From the height of my experience and status, I also recommend replacing the navy sprite tag of all crusader countries from MIN to ITA (galley sprites). Thus players will see that Crusader_ai prefers galleys.

Last edited:
Can I get an example of this? I don't think I've run into that problem before.

So we cannot manually appoint an emperor with an event? Is there no such simple command?
And where is your event that makes all the provinces type = hre value = no to dissolve the HRE?
We haven't shipped that event (likely a decision actually) yet. I've written a lot of decisions that need to be balanced before they are included in a beta.

It is very important to have such an option.
You wrote nothing on the second part of my question. About how disbandrebels works. So I shall continue to think that its behaviour is similar to the behavour of the desertion command.
Yes, it can be targeted at foreign provinces.

You allowed rebel factions to have multiple geographic areas. This is great because this helps avoid some ahistorical sequences with rebels, but not all of them. I need the ability to enter even specific province IDs. For exampe, I want to create in my mod a rebel faction, the Latini, they should appear in only one province, Latium.
Don't you think one more rebel type should be added, the inland (not the pirate) raiders?
Is there anything at all unique about Latium? Is it the only province with a particular culture or religion? Could it be added to its own area?

What would you do with inland raiders? What would be different about them? You can already mark a rebel faction as a "raid" faction in rebels.txt, which only changes the text in the popup and the history log message.

You have finally added Portuguese culture. Michael D. Myers, I recommend you ( :D ) to add Sinhalese and Laotian cultures for the reasons of humanism. I cannot even imagine how many Sinhalese players have died of heart attack over all that years after seeing that in the FtG all of Ceylon is Tamil and the Kingdom of Ceylon is Tamil. A crime against humanity.
Same for the AGCEEP.
We wouldn't even have added Portuguese except in the (possibly vain) hope that it would help Portugal stay independent from Spain more often.

Speaking of HRE scripts. There is no trigger to check if a province is in the HRE. It is important. Now I am implementing the HRE mechanics into my mod. And I have to create several hundred almost identical events that add specific provinces to the HRE if they are owned and controlled by specific countries. If I have a trigger to check if a province is already in the HRE, I would be able to do everything I needed with just one giant persistent event.
Noted. Will probably implement that trigger in either next beta or the one after that.

Can I get an example of this? I don't think I've run into that problem before.
OK. After your words, I began to use actions without letters for multi-action events again. The next time I face this info bug I'll throw it to you.
I need to distract you as much as possible so that I can release a new version of my mod before your gamma comes out, which will again force me to make a lot of changes to keep the mod up to date.

We haven't shipped that event (likely a decision actually) yet. I've written a lot of decisions that need to be balanced before they are included in a beta.
This means that it is impossible to create a world similar to the 1816 scenario, starting some other scenario. And not only because of the HRE disintegration, but also of many things. Krakow, you know. Many things.
This is bad, but you know it even without my great thoughts.

Is there anything at all unique about Latium? Is it the only province with a particular culture or religion? Could it be added to its own area?
The Latini lived in Latium. This is unique. Roma should experience the Roman-Latin wars, but I have only one province for all this, so I decided to make the Latini a rebel faction and wake them up with events (by the way, how to create a faction (not the Latini) that can appear only through events, and not through normal revolts? Any impossible "possible = {}" would work for this? Revolt commands with non-random provinces work with any inpossible "possible = {}", isn't it?). Latium is not the only province with a particular culture and religion. It could not be added to a new one-province area. The European areas in my mod exactly replicate the provinces of the Imperium Romanum during the time of Caesar Augustus.
Why so many questions? Lol. This is just one little example. There are dozens of rebel factions that need to be created that I cannot create with the current capabilities of the engine. Actually I need more than just the ability to list province IDs (another example would be pirate raiders in the Adriatic. I cannot split Italia into two provinces to prevent them from appearing on the shores of the Ligurian Sea). I need the possibility not only to list provinces, but also to combine that with the dates, when the rebels might appear there. For example, to model how Germanic or Sarmatian raids moved deeper and deeper into Europa from region to region, appearing in different areas in different times. Of course, I can create about twenty rebel factions with different year triggers and geography just for the Germani alone and twenty for the Sarmatae alone, but this is real madness.
But this is too much to ask. So I'm asking only for lists of province IDs.
But even with such lists I shall not be able to create strictly historical schemes for the appearance of certain raiders/rebels. Sadly, there will be a lot (very, very lot) of unhistorical cases. But now there are many more of them.
Just look at my Sarmatae raiders.
Code:
SMA = { #Sarmatae
    type = nationalist
    raid = yes
    morale_base = parent
    tech_base = barbarism
    min_tech = 1
    retreat = yes
    may_overthrow_government = no
    army = {
        infantry = 30
        cavalry = 70
        artillery = 0
    }
    possible = {
              NOT = {
                   culture = sarmatian
                }
              OR = {
                  AND = {
                       year = 354
                       area = "Sarmatia Asiatica"
                       NOT = {
                        year = 853
                         }

}
                  AND = {
                       year = 454
                       area = "Sarmatia Europaea"
                       NOT = {
                        year = 968
                         }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 710
                       region = Dacia
                       NOT = {
                        year = 1129
                         }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 738
                             region = Moesia
                       NOT = {
                        year = 1130
                         }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 738
                             OR = {
                                 region = Thracia
                               area = Makedonia
                        }
                       NOT = {
                        year = 753
                         }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 738
                             OR = {
                           AND = {
                            tag = ROM #Roma
                            ROM = { countrysize = 20 }
                             }
                           AND = {
                            tag = IMR #Imperium Romanum
                            IMR = { countrysize = 20 }
                             }
                           AND = {
                            tag = IRO #Imperium Romanum Orientale
                            IMR = { countrysize = 20 }
                             }
                        }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 767
                       area = "Pannonia Inferior"
                       NOT = {
                        year = 1153
                         }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 815
                             OR = {
                                 area = Armenia
                               area = Caucasus
                        }
                       NOT = {
                        year = 889
                         }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 825
                       area = Media
                       NOT = {
                        year = 889
                         }
                    }
                  AND = {
                       year = 825
                       area = Parthia
                       NOT = {
                        year = 831
                         }
                    }
               }
           }
    weight = 5
    region = { "Asia Citerior" Dacia Macedonia Moesia Sarmatia Thracia }
    area = { Armenia Caucasus Media "Pannonia Inferior" Parthia }
    on_capital_capture = 134002 #Rebelles et Piratae
}
(Sorry. Spacebar ruins everything when transferring code here. My system is very strange and because of this Tab is my enemy).
This is madness, yes. I'm forced to use such a bad scheme with all these where-is-the-capital triggers and years. To delete (you fixed this by adding "multi-regioning"): [And, of course, at now thay can appear in Africa and on the Moon, if the Romani control the Moon]. I created these Sarmatae for the previous 1.3 betas, and now only add region = { } and area = { } lists. It’s gotten a little better, but it’s still complete crap with the current very limited capabilities.
By the way, this is an example of what I want to do with the inland raiders. I want the Sarmatians to create their own countries, as nationalists, but also to appear in any cores, not only _claim or _casusbelli. You once told me that nationalists can't appear in cores_national, if I understood you correctly.
Ohhhh... maybe I'm starting to understand what you really meant. Do nationalists spawn only in provinces that are in the list of national provinces of at least one country in the revolt.txt?
I don't want them to be peasants. But want them to raid any province of any culture, of any religion, with any core. And with a very strict historical geography combined with many time intervals.
I'm asking for at least lists of specific provinces to create one- / two- (Spartan Helots) / three-province rebel factions and to fix pirate raids in the problem regions (with several different seas nearby).
I already told you all these things about the current rebel system, when it was released.

Idea: event command to put a specific rebel faction (TAG) to sleep. To no longer load the PC memory. For example, after certain year. I have many rebel factions that are active only until a certain year.

We wouldn't even have added Portuguese except in the (possibly vain) hope that it would help Portugal stay independent from Spain more often.
You are worse than Pinochet :). It's not just about gameplay, but also about health and ethics. Sinhalese and Tamil. Not only completely different language families, cultures and religions, but also a brutal conflict that has been going on for thousands years.

About Portuguese. You once told me in a private message that cultures have no influence on the AI war behaviour. And now you are hinting at the opposite. You are confused in the testimony. What's the truth? Have you changed AI behaviour to make culture important to it? How?
What do you mean with culture? How can culture influence the AI expansion?
I checked and you're right, it actually doesn't. I'm thinking of making it at least a small part of AI prioritization of enemies, in a future beta patch. Currently the AI relies mostly on country characteristics when deciding who to target. It doesn't necessarily check desirability of enemy provinces, just whether the provinces are cores or not.

Noted. Will probably implement that trigger in either next beta or the one after that.
Thank you.

And sorry for Engrish, yes.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved and to MichaelM specifically.
I haven't tried this particular build yet, but I am very happy about the changes made in October and previous builds. 1399 scenario is a great addition and pushing the end date is what I really wanted. All the relatively small changes are cool too. It's incredible that the game is still evolving.

I've got some questions. Probably someone answered those before, but I just didn't find the answers, so excuse me.
1) What do the difficulty settings change in the balance? Are the effects the same as in vanilla EU2? Does AI play differently on higher levels and\or have those cheats like inflation drop?
2) What is the difference between Privateer leaders and Admiral leaders? England gets quite a few privateer leaders, but what is special about them is not clear to me yet
3) Is there a possibility to add a message box for occasions where rebels move to the next province and start a battle with my troops? It annoys a bit to get the message that my troops won some battle against rebels that started without any notification and then to learn that half of the infantry just died in that battle without me noticing it beforehand.
3a) Is there a possibility to make an option to switch every message setting to "pause and box"?
4) Do you know any youtube channels with FtG gameplay? What are your favourites? Please share
5) [meta-question] Is it a proper behaviour to ask this many questions in one message and\or to ask the questions on not closely related topic? Maybe it's best to start new threads instead so that this topic only has questions related to the patch?

Is it possibile to include ChickenSpadge sprites in the next beta? Not sure if he's still active on forum. I imagine he would have to give the idea a green light after all. I'm still playing October beta and waiting for Trmdrg to adjust the vanilla and AGCEEP files for the mentioned sprites as he promised. Sadly my modding skills are close to zero lol. It would massively improve the visual side of the game. I'm sure many of the oldschool players didn't have a chance to play with these. Perhaps younger players would give it a try as well.
It's great to see this wonderful game still being developed and updated.

Is it possibile to include ChickenSpadge sprites in the next beta? Not sure if he's still active on forum. I imagine he would have to give the idea a green light after all. I'm still playing October beta and waiting for Trmdrg to adjust the vanilla and AGCEEP files for the mentioned sprites as he promised. Sadly my modding skills are close to zero lol. It would massively improve the visual side of the game. I'm sure many of the oldschool players didn't have a chance to play with these. Perhaps younger players would give it a try as well.
It's great to see this wonderful game still being developed and updated.
I obviously can't speak for the developers, but I highly doubt they would add another persons work without their specific consent (copyright issues).

Aye.

I obviously can't speak for the developers, but I highly doubt they would add another persons work without their specific consent (copyright issues).
*another-person's adaptation of another-another-person's work for another game.

It is sad that the possibility of incorporating of the Chicken Spadges Multi-level Madness to the FtG is very close to impossible. The For the Glory is sorely lacking in unique unit sprites.
When the FtG was first released, I was unpleasantly surprised that it has fewer unit sprites than the Europa Universalis 2, its basis. Nonsense. Even if many of the EU2 unit sprites are just recolors of the default ones, even such additions count.

Thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved and to MichaelM specifically.
I haven't tried this particular build yet, but I am very happy about the changes made in October and previous builds. 1399 scenario is a great addition and pushing the end date is what I really wanted. All the relatively small changes are cool too. It's incredible that the game is still evolving.

I've got some questions. Probably someone answered those before, but I just didn't find the answers, so excuse me.
1) What do the difficulty settings change in the balance? Are the effects the same as in vanilla EU2? Does AI play differently on higher levels and\or have those cheats like inflation drop?
I know I've tweaked a few things here and there in the last 15 years, but the difficulty settings are broadly similar to EU2. The inflation cheat still exists on higher difficulties. I believe I also made civil wars rarer for AI on high difficulties, but I've removed a few other AI cheats too.

2) What is the difference between Privateer leaders and Admiral leaders? England gets quite a few privateer leaders, but what is special about them is not clear to me yet
Not much difference at present. We have some plans for what privateers should do, but we haven't yet prioritized them.

3) Is there a possibility to add a message box for occasions where rebels move to the next province and start a battle with my troops? It annoys a bit to get the message that my troops won some battle against rebels that started without any notification and then to learn that half of the infantry just died in that battle without me noticing it beforehand.
I'll look into that. I don't usually like adding new types of messages since that means that your existing config will become obsolete and you'll default back to original message settings. But having said that, I did add a few new messages in the October beta.

3a) Is there a possibility to make an option to switch every message setting to "pause and box"?
All at once? No, but that might be a useful addition to the settings screen.

4) Do you know any youtube channels with FtG gameplay? What are your favourites? Please share
That's a pretty empty niche. DrBilton streamed FTG on Twitch a few times earlier this year, but I don't know of anyone making Youtube content. You could be the first!

5) [meta-question] Is it a proper behaviour to ask this many questions in one message and\or to ask the questions on not closely related topic? Maybe it's best to start new threads instead so that this topic only has questions related to the patch?
I don't mind it here. The patch threads are the first things many new or returning members see when they come to the forum.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What a holiday gift! I was coming back to enjoy this game for nostalgia after a couple years, with ZERO expectation that there would be a new update, let alone a bunch of huge ones!

Thank you for being amazing!

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
After my hard-drive died, I reinstall FTG on steam and go here for a newest patch and what a great suprise :D Great job.

I would like to join discord server but invitation from first post is not working :(

• 1Like
Reactions:
The link for the download file is not working for me. It opens a new tab which immediatly closes.
I have bought For the Glory from steam and have linked my account.
Any ideas?

The link for the download file is not working for me. It opens a new tab which immediatly closes.
I have bought For the Glory from steam and have linked my account.
Any ideas?
No ideas. But especially for you, I uploaded the patch to a file hosting service. Try this:

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: