• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yup, theres never too many multiplayer AARs around, Id personally wish some insight into multiplayer tactics and grand strategy together with pics but thats just me :D

Crilloan said:
And the nightmares I had when Italy made landfalls behind my lines around Krim.

Opposite countries now :)
How does it feel to go from Italy ->Sov ?

/C

yes 36 inf in stacks of 3 with lvl 2 commanders can be quite intimidating :D

i think i took you off guard there, but it was gripens idea.

changing from italy to russia is all good. more of everything (including dissent of course). im looking forward to seeing the italian lackeys on the front of fronts (i.e. the eastern front).

Crilloan said:
Adam: Hungary
Joined or group of merry men very late in the last campaign as a Canada about to be annexed. Seems to have a firm grasp of strategy and the grand scheme of things. Have probably played a lot of other strategy games?

Maybe a fair amount of HOI IIDD. ;)

Session 2

The dawn and fall of the Chinese empire

(name requested by jake ;) )

Session 2
participants
Japan: Hebos
Italy: Crilloan
Soviet: Peiper
France: Wallonga
Canada: PAHO
Brazil: Fitz
Hungary: Adam
UK:Jasgripen
Germany: Johan
Nationalist Spain :palle
Nationalist China: Jake

11 players dealt with the time from 1937-02-14 to 1937-11-05.

With republican spain close to annexation it was not deemed as a problem that vapula could not partake. Due to connection problems Spain had to leave shortly after the re unification of spain.

(much woe was heard later when he checked what the eveer mysterious entity known as AI had done to his stewarship)

After Palle left we had only one crash and things went on rather smoothly.

Come summer 1937 and the tensions in the far east ignites and a new war has begun.

bild7sinojapaneseconfliut7.png

During summer and autumn armed forces from Ippon were doing well and slowly inching their way south. Chinas strong coastal defence made the attempts to open a second front fruitless.

When November came China have had some serious losses but its highly unlikely that it has crippled Chinas ability to make war.
We suspect that Japan are in for a long and gruesome conflict.

Winter, mountains and dirt roads are going to make this a conflict with no quick conclusion.
bild8warinchinahl7.png

Situation at 1937-11-05

Notes:
HOI2 ARM is definitely better to play multiplayer with and not as prone to crashes as previous incarnations, but I really hope that they take a long hard look at the multiplayer aspect and network coding for the upcoming HOI3.
And get us a working logistic systems!
It is totally bizarre that if you are surrounding a capital in order to mount an offence and take it that the defenders troops will be out of supply and that the defender cant deploy his newly built troops.

Proper AARs to come, next scheduled session in 2 weeks.

/C

Last edited:
Crilloan said:

Notes:
HOI2 ARM is definitely better to play multiplayer with and not as prone to crashes as previous incarnations, but I really hope that they take a long hard look at the multiplayer aspect and network coding for the upcoming HOI3.
And get us a working logistic systems!
It is totally bizarre that if you are surrounding a capital in order to mount an offence and take it that the defenders troops will be out of supply and that the defender cant deploy his newly built troops.

Proper AARs to come, next scheduled session in 2 weeks.

/C

got that one right, hoi2 is a bitch to set up for multiplayer game, especially for networking noobs like me. on the other hand, I did learn something about port forwarding and stuff, but that stuff really just keeps lots of players from even being 'capable' of playing MP so to speak. I'd also like to see smoother online play with less lag and stuff. I just hate when games crash due to lag or worse, you lose a tech you had just finished, to lag.

On the other hand those problems can be addressed by slowing the game speed, but thats hardly a workable solution in the long run, if the smoothness of the MP gaming experience is concerned.

EDIT:
@cueball: yea, but I was mainly talking about peace time though, not that the '36 scenario is that wonderful without lots of nifty rules and stuff... to simply make it playable :p . Man i'd really like to try the '38 or '39 scenario online sometime, too bad our MP-group never really does anything except the '36 main campaign.

Heh, I've been kinda stalking lord ederon's forums also, by the looks of things EIR multiplayer mod seems kinda cool, do you guys play with it regularly or are you still playtesting it? The modifications it brings seem kinda cool, increased air unit costs as to avoid huge air spammage, increased manpower costs?

Last edited:
This is true, but the reality is that most players want the game at Below Normal or Slow, when at war. Espcially when they have large fronts like during Barbarossa.

But yes a new netcode, and dedicated hosting would indeed increase the MP market for this game.

We play at normal when no war.
Below normal at early wars (spain, china)
Slow when everything blows up at danzig.
No pause, wait with starting a new research until a new day have passed, etc.

Slow can feel like molass, until you realize that you are speed up like a duracell rabbit trying to defend against fast mobile corps over a large front.

At slow we usually manage ~4 months per session.
(actually its a time frame that fits planning rather well, since its hard in the game to plan with accuracy more than 6 months ahead. other players end to ruin you ideas and plans with invading you :mad: )

Pre-danzig we did 13.5 months in the first session and around 9 months in the other one (with several rehosts in the first 1.5 hours)
Its imperative that people know what do to when restarting.
(exit the game and start it up again, when it occurs we get over it rather fast nowadays)

/C

Edit @ Laurwin.
Jepp, the 36 scenario takes some fiddling to work. The 38 scenario is in my opinion much better suited to mp. An early start as 36 with very experienced players on some positions can turn some of the countries to behemots. In the 36 scenario I find one of the daunting tasks is to balance players in the alliances.
Some people tend to like the build up phase, therefore the votes for playing 36. 1939 would be very interesting to play.

Last edited:
No pause is a good rule.

We just finished a GC that we started last november, some 40 sessions or so from 36 to 45. We played a lot of it on slow. So about 3.7 months a session on average, including the pre-war part.

Cueball said:
No pause is a good rule.

We just finished a GC that we started last november, some 40 sessions or so from 36 to 45. We played a lot of it on slow. So about 3.7 months a session on average, including the pre-war part.

You managed to get to 45!
(how did you do that?)

That would be nice. Our hopes is that we can continue this until HOI3 comes knocking.

We only have pause on declaration of war, or if a bug or crash occurs

/C

The mod we use eliminates the whole puppet china issue. That is one reason we made it two 45. The other is that the Allies did not surrender when the SU mad BP, but continued. In the mean time SU and Communist China took over China, and then DOW'ed Germany again.

Chinese aggression

Empire of Japan
Session 2
14 Feb 1937 - 5 Nov 1937

jap01.jpg

Hakko Ichiu
(“Eight corner of the World under one roof.”)​

Chinese aggression

On June 4, 1937 a clash occurred between Chinese and Japanese troops near Peiping in North China. When this clash was followed by indications of intensified military activity on the part of China, we had no choice but to declare war on the dogs of China. Greater East Asia does not tolerate such irresponsible behaviour.

This chapter will briefly describe the settings for this war and how the first 5 months have progressed.

Pre-war plans

Before war broke out between Greater East Asia and China, Japan's supreme command have issued a couple of Operation orders on how Chinese aggression would be dealt with.

The first Operation order (no: 1) from Japanese High Command was issued to General Hirohito on 11th of January 1937. The plan was to strike hard from the sea with three Armies. The invading armies would consist of Japan's best trained and well-equipped troops.

However, when intelligence revealed that China had strong garisons in the area it was decided a new plan was needed and order no: 1 was cancelled.

op_order_no1.jpg

Around beginning of Mars -37 the Japanese High Command developed a new and cunning invasion plan of China; Operation order no: 2. Here the focus had been shifted from capturing Chinas major industrial centers to trap and isolate the whole Shanxi army.

But also this plan had to be abandon when it was clear that China made heavy reinforcements in the area.

op_order_no2.jpg

The final Operation order (no: 3) - that later was to be executed - was designed under high time-pressure since intelligence revealed that the Chinese were planning an offensive into Manchuria, to be executed next month.

Japanese High Command had realized that a coastal attack would be time-consuming and risky due to very strong Chinese defence along the coastal perimeter. Hence, a new idea emerged of breaking through the Shanxi lines at two hot-spots and exploiting.

In order for the third plan to be successful, speed was the key ingredient. Japan had to force its way straight south in a very rapid manoever that would finally incircle and capture Nanjing. If Chinese reinforcements from central and sout-west China would be able to reach Nanjing area before Japan, a stand-off would probably emerge.

op_order_no3.jpg

War starts: Order of battle

Initial deployments
china_init_deployment.jpg

Step 1
china_step1.jpg

Step 2
china_step2.jpg

At the end of the second attack phase, four pockets of Chinese forces were isolated and trapped. These pockets were wiped out. The Chinese made a few futile attempts to break through the Japanese lines, but failed miserably.

After the elimination of the Chinese pockets the main objective has been to reorganize and reconcile our positions.

china_pockets.jpg

Summary

The first 5 months of the campaign have been very successful for the Japanese Empire. Roughly 45 Chinese divisions have been isolated and annihilated.

Greater East Asia has effectively demonstrated the awsome supremacy of the Japanese military. The initial assault was swift, deadly and the Chinese forces were merely by-standers overlooking the brilliant strategy of the Japanese supreme commander.

The first step towards defeating China has been successfully executed. The major cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Nanjing have been liberated. Chinese reinforcements have arrived along the frontier and new plans are being designed on what the next steps should be.

Last edited:
I must ask, can I join up to your AAR? I'd want Siam or Argentina if possible. Contact me via PM's. :p

Almost a decade have past since our humiliating defeat, the dawn of an empire.
We have not forgot Trianon, and never will... We're ready to remake history and take back what once was ours from the doggs that shatterd our empire.

Two weeks have now passed since our last gathering and our empire is growing stronger for every day that passes. We're especially sattisfied with the work of Konstantin Dumba for securing our country, he made us not look like complete fools after all.

(Ok, no game this week either... and I'm SO keen on playing! :wacko: )

Sino-Japanese War Part II

Empire of Japan
Session 3
5 Nov 1937 - 13 Oct 1938

jap01.jpg

Hakko Ichiu
(“Eight corner of the World under one roof.”)​

Sino-Japanese War Part II

After Japan's huge success in the first 5 months of the war, Greater East Asia had to reorganize and consolidate. Troops were exhausted after the fierce fighting and corps had been scattered. The communists in the north had been contained and any efforts to break through would have been futile and costly. With the deadlock in the north, the next step would be to act along the front south of the Yellow River.

In early November, the Chinese army started an offensive in the Hankou area and the Japanese 4th Army had to pull back to Hefei to gain better defense grounds. At this time the main forces of the Chinese Army were focused towards the center of the southern front - leaving the flanks exposed. The Japanese forces on the other hand were focused to the flanks, in the areas of Luoyang and Shangrao. With such standings the Japanese High Command (JHC) almost welcomed a Chinese advance in the center of the front. It would be very difficult for the Chinese to advance any further without risking being cut-off.

Grab that Industry

Greater East Asia was primary fighting against time. There were no doubts that the Japanese Army would thwart the Chinese sooner or later - however, it better be sooner or Japan would risk a Russian declaration of war. Basically, there were three main paths the JHC could continue the conflict. An all-front assault that would slowly push the Chinese west, spearheaded attacks with objection to cut-off or attacking with objection to neutralize Chinese industry. The JHC concluded that the latter would be the best approach.

In mid-November Operation no: 4 was issued to Army Group Center and South. The basic idea was to create two spearheads with objection to seize the major industrial centers of Guangzhou, Chengdu and Chongqing. The center of the southern front would basically be evacuated and wide gap would be created, making it possible for the Chinese to advance straight east - such a Chinese advance had in fact already started. The gambit with the operation was weather who would cut-off who first. However, the strategic position strongly spoke in Japan's favor. China would not have enough time to advance north to Beijing to cut of the Manchukuo Imperial Army and the 2nd & 3rd Japanese Army. The best they could do was to reach the East China Sea and possibly retake Shanghai and then threaten supply routes to Army group south. However, by then the Japanese forces would have reached Guangzhou and new supply routes could have been setup by the Imperial Navy. The Chinese Army would then risk to be completely cut-off when the two Japanese spearheads converged.

warplan_session3.jpg

The Great Encirclement

Operation no: 4 was executed beautifully. Japanese 1st, 4th, 5th and the newly created 11th Army advanced straight west and smashed all opposition. In the meantime, the 6th, 7th, 9th and 10th Army broke through the heavy defenses in the Ganzhou Mountains and soon Guangzhou was captured. The Chinese industry fell into Japanese hands and China was severely crippled. From now on the Chinese fought a futile war. Their transport capacity was shattered and the nationalist Chinese Army was trapped in the mountainous center of China. As a last desperate act they tried to escape the claws of Greater East Asia by retreating even further west but only a handful corps managed to break through. Once the encirclement was complete roughly 50 Chinese divisions were trapped. A month later the pocket had been smoked out and eliminated by Japanese 7th and 9th Army.

Chinese surrender

On May 26th nationalist China finally surrendered. Japan started the work of setting up a puppet state in China. During August and September the last opposition in form of Communist China and Sinkiang was obliterated.

Once again we stand victorious. In 1905 we crushed the Russian Empire and in 1938 it was China's turn. Long live the great Empire of Japan. However, there are still foreign influences in Asia that has to be eradicated. But that my dear readers, we will talk about another time.

Session 3

Session 3

Participants
UK
Canada
France

Sovjet *2

Nationalist spain
Germany
Hungary
Italy
Japan

1937-11-05 to 1938-10-13
Made good speed until Spain had several crashes (I figure this game is very sensitive to packet loss)

Two weeks without playing were definitely one week to much, felt totally flabbergasted when we started the game and I checked out my current research and build prioritys. Like "what the H3ll were I thinking about, nuclear powerplant!"
But thats life at 30+ :)
One week several players away on work trip, next week another player very occupied in a more profound way, congrats again!

Will write a proper AAR after next session, concerning the woes an Italian player faces in a game depicting WW2.
Key words "Horse Dung, Tin Can, Artificial Reef Construction"

Looking forward to next session on coming monday. MP gaming with history interested fellows is a treat but it has totally destroyed single player for me ;)

/C