• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shakesperian drama

Scene I at the Buckingham Palace August 1938
Artres_D2_2a_13.jpg

George VI: Well dear Chamberlain, what do you say about the current situation in the world? It was a nice move to get Chile into our alliance, well done. What do the people back in Birmingham say? I guess they got opinions about your efforts toward Mr. Hitler.

Neville: It was some time... since I had the time to be back home your majesty. But it is evident that Japan is playing a foul diplomatic game in Asia. If they create “free” nations, then it will raise dissent in the Empire – among the nationalists in you name it.

George VI: So? More appeasement?

Neville: Some arrangements has to be done regarding some colonies.

George VI: My Great Grand mother would not like what you are about to propose, or?

Neville: I would not dare to propose any new colonial policy in her face.

George VI: India is out of the question, you do know that.

Neville: Yes, I guess so... And, the leftists will not tolerate us to go halfway and just install some puppets. We have to use the military in Brixton and where else, the Scots will probably resent the whole union I guess. No we have to be braver than that.

George VI: Cowardice dressed as bravery, you do mean that - don’t you.

Neville: There is a storm coming our way. The fleet and RAF is prepared, but totally at the very expense of the wretched Army.

George VI: Yes I have heard that. Keystones as Gibraltar and Hong Kong are guarded by tokens which in their turn are led by tools.

Neville: I wouldn't put it that way... But there is a situation, I do agree.

George VI: So?

Neville: A handful of them. Palestine, Jordan, Egypt, Sudan, Rodheisa, Nigeria and finally Malaysia in Asia.

George VI: Yes I do know where Malaysia is situated, thank you Mr Cham-berlin

Neville: cough * Chamberlain * Do I have a go ahead.

George VI: Yes you have, if you force the local governments to whip up some divisions for us.

Neville: That is no problem, and we can't use force your mayesty - if we free them. We will dress them up in the new 1939 uniforms, with all bells and whistles. On top of that. We have had some diplomatic breakthroughs with the USA. Adding this to our list of good will towards our colonies will make them joining our cause.

George VI: They do got an army, splendid

Neville: Ehh... no, they kind of... don’t. But it is a big country. I am sure they will follow as a good gesture, when we release all these colonies. They will have the same status toward the good old UK as the USA – as free former colonies of ours. We have to work on that spin so that the USA get that message.

George VI: Do what you can and must, but you better be successful - that IS a must.

Scene II at Holyroodhouse Easter time 1939

At a great banquette with representatives from the new free nations of Palestine, Jordan, Egypt, Sudan, Rodheisa, Nigeria and Malaysia. On top of that Cordell Hull, the Foreign Minister of USA is the guest of honour. The Foregin Minister of Chile Abraham Ortega Aguayu has followed the US contingent to the UK, mostly to see the Chilean 4th army stationed in England.

Artres_D2_6a_13.jpg

George VI: Now we can rejoice in our great alliance. The free world, defined by the Empire as such has shown the dark forces of the world that we are prepared for anything which they can bring. Come and see the havoc you are about to unleash you axis of Evil, it will be brought back to you in full force!

Neville: **Whispers to Sir Stenton Thomas, the head of state of the Free Malaysia.**
But that will not happen as his Majesty picture it. Now that we have given freedom to the colonies we will soon see appeasement even from Germany and Japan.

Sir Stenton Thomas: Yes... the Japanese Ambassador in Kuala Lumpur said something that I didn’t look very Malay. I told him that it was utter and sheer nonsense of course.

Neville: Good point!

stalin7xu.jpg

A tribute to Stalin at York. As a friendly gesture for the Oil trade between UK and USSR. The Times covered the trade as a major success of the UK, selling oil to one of the biggest producers of crude oil.

The lion part of the Navy of Chile, set out for Hong Kong at Christmas time 1938.

The Alliance early 1939
allies2ow9.jpg

allies1ff0.jpg

Last edited:
Session 4

Session 4

Depicting the tumultous event leading up to armageddon.
13:th of October 1938 to 15:th of May 1939

Participants:10
Canada PAHO
France Wallonga
UK Jasgripen

Sovjet Peiper
Brazil Fitz

Spain Palle
Germany Johan Jung
Hungary Streambeast (guess thats you Adam)
Italy Crilloan
Japan Hebos

America in the allies at the beginning of 1939, this is going to be tough :cool:
UK creating a plethora of new allies, bold move that took us totally by surprice.

Looking forward to next session.

/C

proper aar later

Last edited:
Interlude

Empire of Japan
Session 4
13 Oct 1938 - 15 May 1939

jap01.jpg

Hakko Ichiu
(“Eight corner of the World under one roof.”)​

Interlude

It is hardly necessary to say that the basic policy of the Japanese government has aimed at the stabilization of East Asia through conciliation and cooperation between Japan, Manchukuo, and China for their common prosperity and well being. This has been achieved with great success.

As of May 1939 Greater East Asia have liberated a vast territory in Asia - as is depicted in below map. As of February 15, Japan have decided to join the Axis alliance in order to strengthen global interests and create a world-wide alternative to the growing threat of capitalism.

east_asia.jpg

Strategic council meeting in Tokyo at 6 May 1939

Senjuro (Head of government):
I'm glad all of you could come to this meeting with such short notice. We need to discuss the progress of Imperial Japan for the last six months and what our future endeavors hold. First of all I would like to congratulate Hirota Koki for all the work he has put into forging the upcoming deal with the Reds. Koki, can you please share this info with the council.

Koki (Foreign minister):
As you all know our Kwantung Army in Manchukuo have constantly been harassed by Mongolian horsemen crossing the border, stealing supply among other things. Well, a couple of months ago our Commander-in-Chief has had it and decided to act independently to drive these barbarians away. He captured a small force of Mongolian cavalry men and in reply the Soviets sent in large reinforcements. Of course, the Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) had anticipated this and the force were easily repelled by the Kwantung Army.

This led to even more aggressive maneuvers by the Reds which eventually could have driven us into a full-scale war. Although the IJA would have little difficulty beating such an ill-developed and poorly equipped enemy there is little to gain from such a conflict. Also, our new allies in Europe made it clear that they would not actively support it.

Most importantly we have other plans for the coming years which Senjuro will bring up. Thanks to our well-informed intelligence we knew that the Soviets also didn't want this war so lately I've been working on setting up a treaty with the Reds. Yesterday the Soviets agreed to a two-year non-aggression pact.

Saturo (Chief of Army):
Hah, the Reds will seize first opportunity to break that treaty.

Koki (Foreign minister):
Yes, we know they can't be trusted. All the treaty will do is demobilize the front and buy us enough time to re-arm and face a potential attack in the future.

Thank you Koki. There are other matters we need to discuss. To start, let me show you a strategic map of Asia today:

japrop03.jpg

Our biggest concern as of today is the West and there occupation of Asia. It is Japan’s duty to free the rest of Asia from the grip of colonialism. Not only is the West enslaving other nations and stealing their wealth, but they are doing it right in Japan’s backyard to our own fellow Asians. We can not tolerate this. The time has come to act and do something. To help you get the big picture I'll show you the strategic map as we want it to look like it:

japrop02.jpg

War is coming. Will we be ready? Hisanori, you have been very quiet - what do you say?

Hisanori (Chief of Navy):
Oh, we will be ready - rest assured. Since last October the Navy have received 3 brand new Air Carriers; Soryu, Amagi and Hiryu. I have handed them over to Deputy Navy Minister Yamamoto, who now is in charge of a tactical training maneuver in East China Sea. In addition, a vast number of screening vessels have been delivered to the Navy. With the new Carriers, Japan possesses the most powerful Navy in the world.

new_carriers.jpg

Ok good. What about the war industry - now that US is a member of the loathsome Allies could we keep up with them in a pro-longed war?

Kazue (Armaments minster):
Construction of new armaments factories has been completed and together with Chinese and Manchukuo industry we possess a very dynamic and efficient industry.

japan_may_39.jpg
china_may_39.jpg
man_may_39.jpg

Great! The objective is clear. It is Japan’s divine purpose to defeat the enemy. Let us do that.

Last edited:
German High Command, Berlin, midnight, September 24, 1939

(see below)

Last edited:
Session 5

Session 5

1939: may 15:th to 1939 Sept. 24
10 Players

Allies
Jasgripen UK
Paho France (from 1/9/1939)
Wallonga USA (from 1/9/1939)

Axis
Johan Jung Germany
Hebos Japan
Streambeast Hungary
Crilloan Italy

Palle Natspain (hangaround axis)

Comintern
Peiper Sovjet
Fitz Brazil

Allies had a rough start with very many theaters to operate in given that Japan were a part of the war from the start.
On the other hand USA is a part of the war and have a human player from Danzig. Its going to be very interesting to see what wallonga can do with such an early USA.
And we still have the red team to come out and play.
Looking forward to total war on all fronts...

This is just the beginning.

/C

Last edited:
240pxfasceslictoriaesvgbc5.png

The summer of 39 saw a flurry of activities.
The groundwork had been laid years ago and now it would all come to a conclusion, or a begining.

In cooperation with wermacht plans had since long been laid for a war on the african continent. Airbases had been expanded and infrastructure improved. Everything needed for a strong beachhead on the continent.

When the orders came, troops started to move in a well rehearsed and coordinated way.

bild9afrikauw2.png

To keep France away from Germanys back during the critical phase of Case Black (Operation Svart) an attac were launched straight through the mountanious borderfortresses between Italy and France.

Initial assaults were successful and it was decided to keep up the pressure.

bild10frankrikeoy9.png

“Manstein did what?”

“Yes, Leader, since the general staff had not determined a complete operational plan för Operation Blue, von Manstein’s army group took up defensive positions after conducting a completely successful breakthrough in the heavily fortified Strasbourg area on September 1.”

The German Leader instantly turned away from the chief of the general staff, general Ludwig Beck, and looked rather irritably at the huge map of Europe on the western wall in the conference hall.

“And where are my armoured forces?” he said with a sharp high-pitched voice.

“Here, and here”, said the officer closest to the map, army chief of staff general von Fritsch. “As you can see Leader, Guderian’s army group has, since his offensive commenced on September 1 from the logistical base area at Tobruk, completely destroyed the British puppet Egypt, captured the vast naval and air base complexes at Alexandria, and is currently engaged in a major offensive across the Suez channel. He is supported by Kesselring’s air force in…”

“According to our army intelligence”, the intelligence chief interrupted, “the British seem to have prepared a last stand at Suez with a motley gang of Arab irregular troops gathered from British puppets in the region. Apparently, the few British national units at Suez are led by a rather peculiar general officer called Deverell, commanding the British 8th Army, according to radio intercepts.”

“Well, well thank you Schubert” said the German Leader. “Operation Red has been very successful. However, what concern me are the redeployments of our ground forces after the Poland campaign. What is the situation right now Beck?”

“Yes, since Poland surrendered on September 9, we have issued numerous redeployment and reorganization orders. The army group of von Rundstedt will assemble and reorganize in this area. The army group of von Kluge will assembly in this area. The reserve army is located here, and here.”

“And the armoured forces?” injected the German Leader.

“Well, general von Kleist has deployed his forces in this region according to Operation Yellow.”

“Is he ready to attack immediately?”

“Yes, however, we are waiting for the 9th Army to finish its deployment. It is General Brauchitsch who is the operational commander.”

“There is no time to wait any further for Brauchitsch” declared the Germany Leader. “Beck, I want you to directly order Kleist to attack this very morning, understood?”

“Well, yes Leader, I understand.”

After the generals had left the hall the German Leader eyed the map intensely. Damn it, he said to himself. If only I had forgone Operation Red then Guderian’s armoured troops would have been in Paris by now. Well, Paris would have to wait. Perhaps the allies would be foolish enough to deploy even more troops to help the doomed French. That would be so much better, thought the German leader.

War!!

Empire of Japan
Session 5
15 May 1938 - 24 Sep 1939

jap01.jpg

Hakko Ichiu
(“Eight corner of the World under one roof.”)​

Finally, we are at war!

post_amphibiou_assaults.jpg

post_land_operations.jpg

Naval Battles

During the opening of the war there were minor engagements between Japanese and US/Australian forces, and one major Battle in the South China Sea which will change the naval power balance in the pacific for the coming years.

Battle of Huon Gulf

After the invasion of Papua New Guinea the Australian Fleet based at Rabaul attempted to intercept the invasion fleet in a daring move. However, they did not expect Vice Admiral Koga to show up with the Imperial Japanese Southeast Pacific Force. The battle only lasted a couple of hours with the complete destruction of the Australian Fleet.

post_battle_of_huon_gulf.jpg

Battle of South China Sea

Before the outbreak of war, Naval minister Yamamoto (also supreme commander of Japan's Naval Carrier Force) had anticipated that the Royal Navy might try to stop the Japanese advance somewhere in the South China Sea. The potential threat caused the IJN to base almost half the navy in the area and created 4 taskforces (TF) under the command of Yamamoto that would protect the invasions of Hong Kong, French Indochina and Philippines. These TF consisted of three Carrier Fleets and one coastal bombardment fleet - mainly with heavy battleships.

post_battle_of_south_china_.jpg

7-9 September 1939
The taskforces of Yamamoto and Vice Admiral Nomura are protecting the coastline of the Philippine invasion, near Lingayen Gulf. Early morning, Yamamoto is awakened by heavy shelling. The Royal Navy have completely surprised Yamamoto’s TF. The battleships HMS Nelson and HMS Rodney have managed to sneak right in to Yamamoto’s TF during night. Luckily the TF of Nomura and Fukudome is near and the next day the British are outgunned and has to retreat in western direction. Japan has won a small tactical victory - sinking many submarines and screening vessels. However, the capital ships managed to escape.

Yamamoto have now realized that this was only a smaller UK force and fear that the retreat could be trap - trying to lure the Japanese carriers into much stronger forces. Yamamoto sends instructions to Admiral Nagano's TF to start moving south from the Hainan Strait (outside of Hong Kong) just in case.

10-11 September 1939
With the three carrier TFs assembled it does not take long for Yamamoto to find the retreating UK fleet in the North Spratly sea. The commanding British officer (Sommerville) desperately tries to break free but the two battleships and a light carrier is sunk. However, a bunch of screening vessels manage to escape in western direction and Yamamoto & Fukudome continue the pursuit while Nomura returns to the Philippine coast. In the meantime, land-based scout planes have spotted a huge carrier fleet moving north from Central Spratly Sea.

It is decided that Admiral Nagano's TF - that now have reached the North Spratly Sea - will head strait south and engage the carrier fleet. A somewhat risky operation but Yamamoto is certain that Nagano will rise to the occasion.

12-14 September 1939
Late evening the 12th, Nagano's TF engages the UK Carrier Force. The weather couldn't be better - the rain is pouring down - and the carrier aircraft is grounded. Nagano's TF hit the carriers hard and they are forced to retreat in a southern direction. The carriers fail to outrun Nagano's battleships and finally face utter destruction in the Central Spratly Sea. Four carriers are sunk and a fifth is later finished off by land-based aircrafts. Nagano's TF is practically untouched. It is a devastating blow and tremendous victory for the IJN.

Meanwhile, scouting vessels report the location of another major fleet. Apparently a big UK battleship force is heading strait towards Nagano from South Spratly Sea. Nagano decides to stay and face the bigger UK fleet, and alarm Yamamoto, Fukudome and Nomura - which all head full speed in Nagano's direction.

15-16 September 1939
The two battleships fleets smash together and intense shelling begins. It is a fierce fight where the Royal Navy has a clear upper hand. When the Japanese battleship Hyuga is sunk, Nagano decides it is time to leave. Nagano's TF is severely damaged but so it the UK Force. In the nick of time carrier aircraft of Yamamoto and Fukudome reach the battle area and Nagano's TF is relieved.

17-22 September 1939
The three Japanese carrier TFs chase the UK battleship force all the way down to Singapore, where the hunt has to stop due to fuel problem. In total four British battleships were sunk during the pursuit and some days later a fifth will be sunk by land-based aircraft.

air_north_malacca.jpg

Session 6

Session 6

24:th september to 8:th november

11 players

Fitz left brazil for the allied camp to rebalance player setup

Axis
Japan
Germany
Hungary
Italy

Nat spain (not formally in axis yet)