• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

5CHiZO

Corporal
56 Badges
Feb 16, 2022
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack

pReuacw.png

Hello and welcome to my Hearts of Iron III AAR “Frontline Fatherland”. In this playthrough we will be playing as Germany using Black ICE 11.3.5 modification with no others. Our story begins in late July 1939 with the German Wehrmacht poised to invade Poland. From there on we will follow the roles of several characters, some real and some fictional, as the German story continues until World War II is effectively over. My intention is to update the AAR on a weekly basis, giving me time to play and write an entry before too much time goes by. I hope you enjoy your time here and feel free to comment on whatever you find worthy of your fine words.
Table of Contents

Prologue
1. Meet and Greet
2. The Pact

Fall Weiss
3. Achtung Panzer
4. Danzig

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Prologue
Meet and Greet
25 July 1939
Berlin, Germany

Reaching to his left coat pocket the field marshal pulls out a polished brass butane lighter followed by a matching brass clasp holding a selection of fine cigarettes. The marshal manipulates his left thumb and opens the clasp one handed and selects a cigarette before closing the clasp with the same thumb in quick order before putting the clasp back in his uniform pocket. Springing the top of the lighter ajar and pressing his left thumb against the striker wheel, a pronounced grinding followed by a hiss of butane which then ignites and scars his cigarette before the marshal inhales and pulls the flame inwards, forcing the glow of the cigarette to gleam even brighter. A long pull to get things started and then a pause before exhaling out his nostrils and then his mouth.

kOH4kJ8.jpg

Europe 1939.

“Gentlemen, I have spoken to the Fuhrer and he has made it quite clear. The Poles must concede or its war.” The marshal continues his cigarette as the smoke begins to fill towards the ceiling, revealing the sunlight through the windows like one would see headlights shining through fog as the rest of the officers and politicians scan each other’s expressions looking for a clue on how to continue the conversation.

“Marshal…” replies a politician. “War with Poland would most certainly bring France and England into the fray. Are we prepared for a two front war?”

GkKip3M.jpg

Political window.

“The Allies are of little concern to the Fuhrer and the Heer.” Another drag of his cigarette the marshal continues while exhaling, “The French do not want to be involved and the English are a thousand kilometers away. What are they going to do? Storm the beaches of Emden?” The marshal scoffs “I think not. It’s a ruse, the alliance, you see?”

“I hope, for all our sake, you’re right.”

“Are we of little faith? Have you not seen the parades? Our troops are the finest in all of Europe and the Luftwaffe will bring down hell onto the front before our boys even leave their tents. The Poles, as I said before, are of little consequence. We will have Danzig. Whether or not by diplomacy is up to them, not I.”

“We shall see.” responds the questioning politician.

tyTqDgZ.jpg

Production and Industrial Capacity.

Discussion continues for another hour or so as nervous politicians and eager officers of the Wehrmacht exchange discord with one another on the matter of Poland and the Allies. Field Marshal von Manstein on the other hand is quite confident in his forces’ ability to spearhead into neighboring Poland, as is his subordinates in the room. All Manstein has to do is cross into Poland and plant the flag in Warsaw and his job is secured for another decade while the politicians in the room are left in his and the Luftwaffe’s hands. It would seem it would be safer to be put in harm’s way than to be sitting in a conference debating trivial matters.

XkHJ2bD.jpg

Division composition of current forces.

As for the state of Germany, it has risen from a beaten nation and victim of Versallies into a strong and purposeful country. The Wehrmacht is well equipped and manned and the German economy is substantial and almost entirely self-sufficient. Much was done to achieve the current state. General Goring’s Four Year Plan was introduced and many national institutions and businesses contributed to Germany’s revival with an emphasis on natural resources. Along with a baseline economy, research and development of industry, military doctrine and might was prioritized. The Heer and Luftwaffe saw the greatest dedication in this matter as the Kriegsmarine was entirely scrapped for materials and manpower. However, the Kriegsmarine did get a substantial number of modern U-Boats with twenty vessels organized into four fleets. These modern U-Boats would be prepared to take on any opposition’s convoy routes and seek out and destroy them if the situation developed into war with said country.

bauSKnN.jpg

Heer personnel at full strength: Total 950,250. Infantry 762,500. Armor 66,750. Garrison 121,000.
With Germany poised to strike into Poland and should the Poles not concede Danzig into the Reich, war would undoubtedly be declared in Central Europe and once again the great powers of the Old World would clash for control of land, rights and prestige. It would seem that the conclusion of the Great War would only bring brief peace to the world and its unjust and unequal treatment of the losers of said war would retaliate to rise once again to pursue honor and glory.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Good luck with this one - new HoI3 AARs have become rather rare of late!

On the first episode: we shall see how well-placed Manstein’s confidence is, in time!

The Heer and Luftwaffe saw the greatest dedication in this matter as the Kriegsmarine was entirely scrapped for materials and manpower.
Seems like a good idea to scrap this vanity project given war has come before a viable surface fleet is ready. Better use the metal, guns etc usefully than see it sink to the sea floor!
a substantial number of modern U-Boats with twenty vessels
Again, seems the practical choice.
Heer personnel at full strength: Total 950,250. Infantry 762,500. Armor 66,750. Garrison 121,000.
Do you have an easily accessed total by numbers of division types?

Last edited:
German economy is substantial and almost entirely self-sufficient.
Never change Paradox, never change.
On the first episode: we shall see how well-placed Manstein’s confidence is, in time!
It's Germany in a HOI game. Anything other than complete confidence in global conquest is misplaced.
DYAEiOu.gif

That said always good to see a new HOI3 AAR, even if it is from the (dark) grey side. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do you have an easily accessed total by numbers of division types?
If you mean, how did I tally those numbers, I simply punched in the numbers from the Production window above and multiplied it be the number of divisions.
That said always good to see a new HOI3 AAR, even if it is from the (dark) grey side. ;)
Ha, thanks. I find the Axis to be the most enjoyable. USSR is fun too.

I should have another update out in a few days. Thanks for the support everyone!

If you mean, how did I tally those numbers, I simply punched in the numbers from the Production window above and multiplied it be the number of divisions.
Actually, I may have missed it on a too small screen: I just wanted to know how many of each you had in this 1939 start. :)

I'll follow.

I think the German government wants more than just Danzig...

The Pact
24 August 1939
Berlin, Germany

In the distance just above a sun kissed horizon a sole Junkers 52 was on final approach at a civilian airport in Berlin, just a few kilometers from The Reichstag where the Fuhrer was waiting for his chief foreign affairs officer Joachim von Ribbentrop to tell him what had transpired the previous day. As the Junkers came closer its landing gear came down along with its landing lights that beamed brightly forward, paving the way for a routine touchdown on a mild morning. Once the wheels screeched from the landing the powerful sound of the Junkers 52 engines began to recede and the thundering 52 began to taxi to the adjacent parking area where a limousine was waiting for Ribbentrop.

With the deafening sound of an engine and propellers coming to an end a rear door opened and a set of stairs came down and Ribbentrop made his way down the stairs after ducking through the exit as the door was rather shallow for a tall man. Ribbentrop fixed his tophat on his head and began to descend. As his dress shoes casually made its way to the concrete an enlisted man opened the rear door of the limousine and Ribbentrop entered and closed the door behind him.

stUV3SY.jpg

Gruppenführer Joachim von Ribbentrop.

“What a trip.” Joachim thought as he stretched his arm out to the ice bucket in the middle of the cabin where a bottle of wine was waiting for him. After some time manipulating the cork he popped the wine bottle open and began to pour himself a drink, all the while the limo began to drive from parking and would make its way to The Reichstag just a few kilometers away.

As the limo approached its destination The Reichstag took precedence over any other sight in the immediate area. Its large dome and towering wings displayed proudly in the early morning sun. Once the limousine came to a halt in front of the main stairwell the enlisted man opened Ribbentrop’s door and Joachim stepped out and made his way up the stairs and after a few moments down well decorated hallways, the Fuhrer’s office.

mzIhZpH.jpg

The Reichstag.

Joachim paused for a moment outside the office and signaled to the Fuhrer’s secretary if he could enter immediately. The secretary nodded and approved of Ribbentrop’s entrance to the main office of Adolf Hitler where he waited patiently for his chief foreign affairs officer to present the news of the proposed treaty with the Soviets regarding the invasion of Poland.

“Ah! Joachim! How was your trip, my friend.” exclaimed Hitler.

“Splendid, mein Fuhrer.”

“Excellent. And the Soviets? Are they willing to play ball with our little scheme?”

“Yes, mein Fuhrer. Everything went according to plan.”

GSHadEr.jpg

The meeting between Hitler and Ribbentrop went on for another forty-five minutes or so until the Fuhrer was completely satisfied with Ribbentrop’s report and company. Hitler rather enjoyed his time with Ribbentrop and considered him a friend in office as Ribbentrop undoubtedly respected and appreciated the Fuhrer’s friendship as well. Now that the Soviets were appeased and only the Allies stood in Hitler’s way, mobilizing the troops was now the correct course of action. Immediately the Wehrmacht’s top brass was notified that Fall Weiss was approved and the invasion of Poland was imminent. War would once again fall upon Europe and now the Wehrmacht would show the world vengeance for Versailles.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I wonder which member of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact will manage to betray the other first...

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I wonder which member of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact will manage to betray the other first...
It is darkly ironic that many of the panzers that would roll through the Soviet Union in 1941 were built using Soviet supplied iron and alloys, running on fuel refined from Soviet Oil.

The commercial trade agreement that Ribbentrop brought back was at least as important as the territorial deal over Poland, arguably more so.

Reactions:
Great to see a new HOI3 AAR start. It's grown pretty quiet down here.

I like your style. Short interractions and comprehensive screenshots.

Getting rid of the surface navy seems a bit extreme, but I get it: Why try to build a surface fleet if you know you'll never catch up with the Brits or the Americans. The best or nothing, right.

I'd simply advise Von Manstein to warn the Wehrmacht's motorcycle scouts about Polish Cavalry. They have this annoying habit of cutting off the heads of enemy motorcyclists with one fell swoop of the saber... It could be just a myth.

In hindsight it is indeed quite strange that the Soviets supplied such large quantities of resources to the German regime despite the fact that at least part of their intelligence apparatus was wary of Germany braking the pact. I guess Stalin didn't want to believe the Germans would actually do it, and maybe he was glad to prolong the war between Axis and Allies, weakening those filthy capitalist nations...

All the best.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Getting rid of the surface navy seems a bit extreme, but I get it: Why try to build a surface fleet if you know you'll never catch up with the Brits or the Americans. The best or nothing, right.
The sort of decision that works fine in HOI3 but would have all sort of side effects in real life.

Although thinking about it, if it is the entire surface fleet then the invasion of Norway could prove to be a bit tricky. I look forward to seeing how that turns out.

Reactions:
Hey @Bullfilter, @El Pip, @HistoryDude, @roverS3 thanks for tuning in.

I scrapped the surface fleet right away to have more resources and manpower. The Royals would have just chewed them up anyways. I intend to begin building a surface fleet in the coming months once the Heer and Luftwaffe is well established, which should be soon. Hell, I may not even need the Kriegsmarine if I accomplish Sealion fast enough, so we'll see.

For now, U-Boats will do.

I'm going to be away this weekend so I may not have a post this week. I'll see what I can do to have a post before I leave for the weekend but we'll just have to see.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Fall Weiss
Achtung Panzer
1 September 1939
German-Polish Border

On the frontline of Poland and Germany the Heer waited for the go ahead to storm into the East. Months of planning and political finesse was needed to achieve this very moment as the Wehrmacht stood poised to strike. It was a cold morning. Dew still laid on top of the blades of grass underneath the boots of German soldiers and the cool fresh morning air felt invigorating for the task ahead. For the soldiers of 101. Panzer-Division it would be their first taste of combat. New machines of war would be tested against the best defenses of the Polish state. Most of the men of 101 were below the age of twenty-five with only the officers being experienced and older, roughly in their thirties. Nevertheless 101 was trained, well equipped and ready for the fight ahead.

“Alright, listen up!” shouted a high ranking officer of the 101. Panzer-Division. “In roughly two hours we will be given the go ahead for the invasion of Poland. This is the real thing, gentlemen. We will be going up against the Poles, a well trained but poorly equipped army. Although we will undoubtedly destroy them, expect stiff resistance on the front. Make no mistake, we will break through their lines and storm into Warsaw before the middle of November. This is the final announcement before we deploy and engage the enemy. I expect you all to do your duty to the utmost standard. The world is watching. Do not underestimate the enemy and remember you are only as strong as the soldiers in your platoon or crew. Together we will be victorious. Saddle up, gents and give them Hell!”

45HlQiS.jpg

Battle plan Fall Weiss. Red arrows Heer. Blue arrows Luftwaffe.

A short time would pass since the illustrious speech by one of 101. Panzer-Division’s officers. The enlisted took all the appropriate measures to ensure the most efficient transition into Polish territory. Ammunition count, repair equipment, rifles and sidearms, food and water, the works. Most of the enlisted were just toddlers during the Great War that engulfed Europe into turmoil. But now, this was their war. Their history. Their destiny.

Once everything was set the order was given out to proceed to Warsaw. 1st Armor Corps, with its five divisions of armor and personnel along with 2nd Army would begin their trek east to the Polish capital. 2nd Army was composed entirely of infantry and infantry support with twenty-five divisions in total. 1st Army, who was stationed in East Prussia, would assist 2nd Army after they pressed through. The focus and priority however would be on 1st Armor Corps as this would be the ideal composition for Germany to quickly destroy and take over enemy personnel and territory.

3mXr1wa.jpg

Composition of 1st Armor Corps.

As the diesel engines ignited and turned over, 101. Panzer-Division rolled into Polish territory. Cruising at a speed of 40 kph the crew of a foremost panzer would begin searching for resistance until spotted.

“Alarm! Enemy infantry half a click! 2 o’clock!”

“Acknowledged. Traversing towards 2 o’clock.” The crewman began turning an adjacent gear clockwise until the turret was aligned with the contact report.

“Load high explosive!” called out the commander

The turret crewman would reach behind him and select a magazine of heavy rounds of high explosive and loaded it into the breach. “HE loaded!” he exclaimed.

A few moments would pass before hearing “Target in sight!” by the gunner.

The commander would take a second to confirm that it was in fact enemy infantry. His nerves were getting the better of him as he had never fired a shot in actual combat. The nervousness and pressure to call out the shot and be on target was crucial to the trust of those he was leading in the tank. The commander would pause one last time and then yelled “Fire!”

“Rounds away!” said the gunner on top of his lungs. A loud volley of thumping would rattle the interior of the panzer and the shell casings would eject from the breach. The high explosive rounds would travel fiercely towards its target before making contact with the earth and explode into thousands of pieces of shrapnel and fire.

As shattered earth and fire settled on the target the commander was able to confirm an accurate shot and scored kill of enemy infantry. 101. Panzer-Division would continue its push to Warsaw much the same way as just depicted. Violently and with little opposition.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The war starts off well. We'll see how long this success lasts. The intervention of Britain and France might change many things... if they are not simply speaking empty words when they say they'll defend Poland...

A panzer division with a single brigade of really terrible light tanks, if nothing else you must admire the German PR department in hyping up the strength of their army.
The war starts off well. We'll see how long this success lasts.
It's Germany in BlackICE. The success will last until the world conquest is complete.

Reactions:
A panzer division with a single brigade of really terrible light tanks, if nothing else you must admire the German PR department in hyping up the strength of their army.
Ha! Yeah. I thought about including all the stats for the Panzer image but it was long. From the Production window it looked a little more advanced than just a Panzer I. I suppose the lengthy tech tree for armor is to blame for the lack of innovation. Were only shooting cavalry and infantry at the moment though so I'm not worried.

Danzig
11 September 1939
Danzig City

Crumbling ruins engulfed the city of Danzig. Its landscape was bombarded by artillery and close air support from East Prussia and Germany proper. The Heer had nearly surrounded Danzig after ten days of fighting with the initial thrust coming from the 1. and 2. Infanterie-Divisions from Prussia. As the battle raged on Poland scrambled to bring in reinforcements which Germany countered by bringing their own as well. 11. and 12. Infanterie-Divisions would cross into Danzig from the west after taking the neighboring province from Polish forces.

For the first few days of fighting Danzig’s garrison would quickly prove incapable of defending itself as the Heer continued pushing deeper into the city. By 5 September Poland was able to reinforce with two cavalry divisions of which would also prove ineffective in countering Germany’s forces. By 9 September another round of close air support came in from the Luftwaffe who would continue to rain destruction from above and take little flak from enemy ground troops despite the garrisoned defense.

0EfVBjf.png

The Battle of Danzig.

Finally after ten days of brutal urban combat the Poles were left with being routed or captured by German troops. France and England would do nothing to prevent the fall of Danzig, all the while France had reinforced the Maginot Line to greatly outnumber Germany’s garrison along Maginot. Luckily for Germany, the French did not push against the fortifications and garrisons in the south. With the Battle of Danzig won Germany could continue its push east and the leading force in that plan was 1st Armored Corps who would continue to storm through Polish divisions. 1st Armored Corps’ objective was to race to Warsaw and Lodz and bring a quick end to the war with the Poles.

As the panzers thundered through, the homefront would also see a boost. The economy would ramp up production capacity with a war economy focus along with a heavy industry emphasis and a service by requirement for all male adults. This would prove instrumental to the war effort and secure Germany’s quest for expansion in Europe. Also German diplomats would begin to influence Italy, Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania, Spain and Japan towards joining up with Hitler.

6wlWivW.png

War situation as of 11 September 1939.

Meanwhile plans on building a surface fleet were being considered. Previously known as pocket battleships, heavy cruisers would be the first to be constructed. Light cruisers and destroyers would follow once enough industrial capacity was obtained. The construction of these vessels would take considerable time however and the necessity of ground forces would weigh more heavily for the direction Germany was taken. For now, the naval plan was considered but not guaranteed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, Poland is probably in trouble. I wonder if that French army will do anything...

Well, Poland is probably in trouble. I wonder if that French army will do anything...
Indeed. How much of the German Army is left on the West Wall?

With the all the Panzers and Luftwaffe busy out East this would be the ideal time to strike, though sadly I can't see France (or indeed the French AI) taking advantage of that.