• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hasnopants

Corporal
41 Badges
Apr 11, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
The Franco-Prussian War Mod

July 1st, 1870 - December 30th, 1872

franco-prussian-war-france.jpg

The Franco-Prussian war mod is a battle scenario mod for Darkest Hour based on the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 or "1870 War". This mod will allow you to play as Prussia and control the North German Confederation states as well as ally with the Southern German states, if you choose to, in the battle against the Second French Empire of Napoleon III. The scenario is intended be played from the day before Prince Leopold receives the offer of the Spanish throne to a year past the historical end of the conflict to allow for a-historical outcomes as well. In the initial release I am intending to only have Prussia and France playable with the hopes of expanding the playable nations to Northern Italy, Austria, Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands. Questions, suggestions, comments, and assistance is all welcome! Thanks for checking out my mod!

Mod checklist for .01 release
-INCOMPLETE-
  • Create alliance
  • Place some starting units

-IN PROGRESS-
  • Interface Graphic work
  • Flag work
  • New Ministers

-Complete-
  • Set start date
  • Unit and tech cleanup
  • Create new countries
  • Map construction for first release
countryselect.jpgtitlescreen.jpgalphamap.jpg

Graphical work credited to: http://paperchase.aseriana.net/

Last edited:
No mod goes 1870-1914, from what I know. 1914 mod is the only one that goes as far as 1897.
Covering another 30 years of gameplay in detail would be borderline impossible for any mod, really. AAR is still far from finished for example. And the game really isn't fit for something so early. (no tech other than few infantry technologies)
It would be better as a battle scenario perhaps.

I support and endorse this concept. AFAIK there are a few mods prior but nothing specifically dealing with the period. I'm tempted to point you towards AAR but I must be honest, if nothing but a battle scenario comes out of this, I'd be happy ;)

Well I was thinking of what would need to be done:

• Modified political map
  • Events
I was thinking Spring of 1870 - 1871,72 or ? for the dates of the scenario.

Last edited:
Well I was thinking of what would need to be done. Obviously a new map, techs are already there? units are already there? Would need new events obviously and some new countries. This would be my first modification of Darkest Hour but I feel like it wouldnt be TOO complicated. I was thinking Spring of 1870 - 1871,72 or ? for the dates to start out with.

I would do things as follows.

• Spring of 1870
  • Short event chain leading into the events, providing the backdrop to players and dropping relations as well as setting events as for the history.
  • Scenario ends in 1872 - events for both German Unification and French Victory
  • Limited map - black out everything but France, Germany (as of WWI start), Northern Italy and Austria and Netherlands/Belgium
  • Consider Italian Unification Wrap Up?
The Germans should have better GDE than the French (their army was in a state at that time) whilst the Germans should be primarily drafted army, whilst the French will be professional. France should get events about troops returning from the Colonies at some point too.

OK, well I sent out the feelers to make sure I wasn't doubling up efforts. I think I am going to start on this. Suggestions are very welcome! (and any help to!) :)

@kaisermuffin Thanks for the suggestions. Excellent idea to start with blacking out rest of the map and doing a battle scenario but how hard would that be to eventually transform into a full mod using the DH full map? I wouldn't want to go back and redo a lot and that would be my eventual goal.

Last edited:
@kaisermuffin Thanks for the suggestions. Excellent idea to start with blacking out rest of the map and doing a battle scenario but how hard would that be to eventually transform into a full mod using the DH full map? I wouldn't want to go back and redo a lot and that would be my eventual goal.

Battle scenarios are actually a lot of duplication of effort, but personally I don't think the world game really has any legs in this period. America keeps on being America, etcetc. The only other war of this period of note was the Boer War.

Ok some preliminary brainstorming on nations:

North German Confederation ?

Or Separate:
Prussia
Saxony

Sothern German States ?

Or Separate:
Baden
Bavaria
Württemberg

Second French Empire
Northern Italy
Austria
Belgium
Netherlands

Battle scenarios are actually a lot of duplication of effort, but personally I don't think the world game really has any legs in this period. America keeps on being America, etcetc. The only other war of this period of note was the Boer War.

Agreed, I want to find my legs on modding darkest hour and then I will see about possibly extending the mod. ;)

Last edited:
If you're making a scenario you have a lot of options to play around with re: Germany..

707px-Map-DR-Prussia.svg.png

Have Prussia with a bunch of minor puppets with which it starts allied to (Hamburg, Hanover, Lubeck, Bremen, Mecklenburg) + allies in Baden, Wurttemburg + independant bavaria and saxony.

Don't forget the Austrian Empire (Austria proper + Bohemia at least) - if the Germans looked to falter, Austria was ready to intervene in the feared 2 front war scenario - however this game, due to the short war should load - play the scenario as the mass mobilisation it is, and give the french events (including rebel spawns for the Commune and such.) - Neither side should really 'built' units in the sense of 1914 or 1936 - rather they called up their reserves and sallied forth.

If Possible Give to the pope a little chance to Unify italy :D