• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can have the same effect by moving the C company of 2/1st from B to C thus reuniting that battalion. I think that is a neater solution and easier on the command structure in the long run than spreading all our units across the whole map.

Although I continue to think that weakening B is a mistake.

Commander, 5th Regiment [Bugwar]

To:
Commander, 1st USMC Division [Thandros]

CC:
Commander, 1st Regiment [von_Rundstedt]
Commander, 7th Regiment [Trinitrotoluen]

Subject: Operational Considerations

1. Reference message:
We need to hold them to allow reinforcements to arrive for a more general advance not try to push them back into the sea without any idea of enemy strength.

We actually have a very good idea of the relative enemy strengths (90% assurance of correctness) along two thirds of the front.
With only a ten percent chance of being in error, that is a LOT better than what we had in our Mid-Eastern campaigns.

2. Reference message:
Don't concentrate all your forces in one sector the enemy's strength in their rear and in sector c is still unknown spread your forces out until we determine where the primary direction of the Alien attack.

a. Kinda hard to determine the axis of advance when both sides can teleport all their available forces anywhere they want along the front within thirty minutes.
b. I suspect you are using the pre-invasion mindset, where human forces had to take a significant period of time to disengage from contact with an enemy,
then take more time to maneuver to a new location.
c. With the current 'Scotty beam me up' capability we (and the enemy) have, you can have your forces spread out along the entire front,
then within a half hour, all can disengage and concentrate on just one sector.
d. Tactics devolves into a game of 'Three Card Monty', where you if you guess correctly, you can profit. But that is just the point.
It is a SWAG, cuz the enemy is also able to change the Schwerpunkt as quickly as you can.

Sincerely,

Bugwar

Colonel, Infantry
5th Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding

c. With the current 'Scotty beam me up' capability we (and the enemy) have, you can have your forces spread out along the entire front, then within a half hour, all can disengage and concentrate on just one sector.

Which is an excellent reason to rethink the movement system. At the very least restrict it to moving to an adjacent sector and even that is generous.

Whoa Horsey! Not So Fast.

Which is an excellent reason to rethink the movement system. At the very least restrict it to moving to an adjacent sector and even that is generous.

Yes, it is an improvement, unless the unit starts in the middle sector. Then they have roaming privileges for the entire front.

I still prefer the 'unit moves to Reserve before returning to combat' idea.

If units in the front lines had to use the 'Retreat' command to move to the Reserve status on one turn, then on the following turn,
from the 'Reserve' location they could designate which sector they wanted to move to.

I wouldn't mind that either - and that's why I wrote "at the very least". ;)

I also hope that more than 3 sectors will become available in time. The more choices both sides have, the better for the game (though not necessarily for our ability to win a swift and decisive victory).

When the game ends, a score for both sides will be calculated based on the following formula:

Remaining Strength Points in % of the initial amount x Controlled Strategic Points

The ratio between Human and Alien score determines the outcome of the conflict.

Throwing the enemy back into the sea while still having an army?

A small update. I have added a map of Los Angeles with the ten Strategic Points in post no. 4

EDIT:

Plus there will be a new update for the rules concerning tactics and troop deployment with the next turn

Last edited:
Links

A small update. I have added a map of Los Angeles with the ten Strategic Points in post no. 4

EDIT:

Plus there will be a new update for the rules concerning tactics and troop deployment with the next turn

Have you considered providing a link to your references to earlier posts?

Such as:

"I have added a map of Los Angeles with the ten Strategic Points in post no. 4http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...os-Angeles&p=17622680&viewfull=1#post17622680"

Commander, 1st Regiment [von_Rundstedt]

To:
Commander, 7th Regiment [Trinitrotoluen]

CC:

Subject: Deployment

I agree with your proposition to reunite my battalion in sector Charlie and will withdraw C Company to there, leaving sector Bravo in your capable hands. My battered troops will conduct a mobile defense in sector Charlie so as to limit losses until our support battalions can provide us with appropriate firepower.

I'm afraid the other commanders seriously underestimate the threat these aliens present to us - these skirmishes are but the beginning. If we do not conserve our forces now but bleed our reserves dry instead, we wont be capable of stopping them once the real onslaught begins.

Sincerely,

von_Rundstedt

1st Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding

Patch note

As already said in the PM, there are two changes to the rules. First a new paragraph in section 4 "Units"

At the start of the game, both sides start with just few units. Further units will arrive in the following turns. Each unit begins in "Reserve" and may be deployed to any frontline sector in the same turn. If a unit shall be transferred to another sector, it must first be transferred to "Reserve" and may be redeployed in the following turn. The exception to this rule is, when one frontline sector is divided in two sectors. The units in the old sector may be deployed in any of the two new sectors.

And in section 5 "Tactics"

Infantry Units may adopt one of four tactics:

Assault - Attempt to gain territory. May lead to serious gains if successful, but serious casualties in case of a bad roll
Advance - Cautious attempt to gain territory. Lesser gains if sucessful, lesser casualties in case of failure.
Static Defense - Attempt to hold the frontline. In case of bad die roll the unit retreats slowly.
Mobile Defense - Attempt to hold the frontline. The probability of a retreat is higher than with a Static Defense, but the casualties lower.

Update later today :)

Friday, 1st August 2014
10:30 AM

Situation Report

The recent 30 minutes saw Alien attacks in all three sectors.

Alpha - Parts of 2/5, supported by a Recon Battalion were able to hold the line versus the enemy, suffering average casualties.

Bravo - The new arrived 1st Battalion / 7th Regiment was immediately caught in a severe firefight. The massive advance of Alien forces caused severe casualties and forced 1/7 and parts of 2/5 to leave the line along Lincoln Boulevard and retreats towards 23rd Street.

Charlie - 2nd Battalion / 1st Regiment could repel an enemy attack with only light casualties.

1st Division suffered a total of 47 casualties, thereof 12 dead, and received 33 replacements. Estimations are, that the enemy casualties were slightly lower.

Support Troops

The 2nd Recon Battalion had to be pulled back from the front and will be ready for duty again at 11.00 AM

Reinforcements

The 1st Air Wing is ready for duty and awaits orders.

************​

MESSAGE FROM UNITED STATES NORTHERN COMMAND (USNORTHCOM)

NASA reports, that the enemy currently receives a lot of reinforcements. Expect an all-out assault soon. The 1st Air Wing is now under your command. We have no reports about enemy Air Units so far.

To:

Subject: Guidance

Awaiting your recommendations for activity.

Sincerely,

Bugwar

Colonel, Infantry
5th Regiment, 1st USMC Division
Commanding

The Enemy Appears to be strongest on our left flak though the obvious threat is from the the centre of our current lie.

To redeploy forces to that flank will take time and weaken our position against the other enemy positions where they have equally strong forces. It's hard to say what to do.

Though the enemy in the centre has 6-7 units the left flank is facing 6+ so it's hard to tell where the enemy focus is. Our Right flank only has 3 units facing it but they may acquire more forces to oppose us soon.

I think that our force should hold approximately their current positions while I'll direct air support to interdict the enemy forces to weak their strongest concentration.

As always local commanders have the final say.